Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

2020 6 Nations - Ireland vs Wales match thread

  • 08-02-2020 12:51am
    #1
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Neil3030


    Ireland play Wales tomorrow.

    I don't have a preview for this match.

    I just want everyone to watch this video before they post.

    Maybe the adorableness can keep the provincial ****housery wolf from the door.

    Enjoy the game!


«13456729

Comments

  • Subscribers Posts: 36,268 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    I've gone from nervously positive to extremely negative about today.

    I don't see any signs of how we can win, apart form the weather, which depresses me.

    Wales Hockeyed us last year.
    They reached a RWC semi final playing their brand of rugby.
    They put it up to the eventual winners in one of the most dour games I've ever watched, showing the can play negative rugby too.
    They had a stroll last weekend.

    The only game in the last year where we physically matched our opposition was the Scotland first round game, where they were dire.
    We had a tough game last week and shipped injuries to important players.
    We are turgid in attack, they are humming along.

    So like I said, it's actually the weather that I think will work on our favour if anything, which makes me incredibly sad.

    If we don't match up physically, like we didn't do last week, we will lose by a lot.
    If we do match up, the we could sneak it on a low scoring penalty filled horror show of a game


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭ Burkie1203


    Think Wales will win. They have a better backrow and their half backs are in far better form. Tight edgy game but wales to win by 3-5


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 Panda Killa


    I've always been quite positive going into 6 nations campaigns, hope springs eternal and all that.
    But, not this time....I can't see where we win this game today...if both wingers are on fire..it's possible....but I'm thinking a Welsh win, comfortably enough too
    Hope to Christ I'm wrong though..


  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ penybont exile


    Tbh I wouldn't be so down on your chances..... Ireland are going to be hugely motivated for this..... Any win for us today will be a really good outcome.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭ 8-10


    Wales were poor last week tactically and with game management in the second half.

    I think we'll have the edge today and should actually win comfortably

    Ireland by 12


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ penybont exile


    Also in the context of the championship this is a really pivotal game for us.. Win it and I'd fancy us to retain the title.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 Former Former


    Be grand, sure it's only Wales


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    8-10 wrote: »
    Wales were poor last week tactically and with game management in the second half.

    I think we'll have the edge today and should actually win comfortably

    Ireland by 12

    They won 42-0.....

    If they are that terrible and nil a side we are in trouble


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭ Lucy8080


    We conceded 9 penalties to a flakey/wasteful Scotland side last week. This week we are up against a side that has Biggar/Halfpenny . Any sniff at the posts and they will punish us. Any oppourtunities for the try-line, like Scotland created last week, and I cant see Wales being so wasteful.

    But,still, C'mon Ireland. My heart lives in hope,my head scorns my hope!

    As another poster said, the weather might save us!


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n


    It’s getting a bit like the French at this stage if, if, if we can turn up. We know the forwards are capable of fronting up physically, they do it for their clubs in Europe and have done it at international level for a long time. They just haven’t seemed to be able to get to that level in the last 12 months and it’s hard to understand why. I think our attacking shape looked quite good last week, we just couldn’t get consistently clean ball. Reynal really didn’t help on that front, but our forwards were not physical enough at the breakdown. Maybe today we will turn up, or maybe we won’t, it’s frustrating waiting for it to happen though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭ WoollyRedHat


    Looking forward to this, will be quite physical, but also expecting game to be quite open


    Does anyone know somewhere decent in Rathgar in Dublin that will be showing game?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭ ionadnapokot


    stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s getting a bit like the French at this stage if, if, if we can turn up. We know the forwards are capable of fronting up physically, they do it for their clubs in Europe and have done it at international level for a long time. They just haven’t seemed to be able to get to that level in the last 12 months and it’s hard to understand why. I think our attacking shape looked quite good last week, we just couldn’t get consistently clean ball. Reynal really didn’t help on that front, but our forwards were not physical enough at the breakdown. Maybe today we will turn up, or maybe we won’t, it’s frustrating waiting for it to happen though.

    Furlong & CJ were of the standard required last week. In both work rate and physicality.
    VdF put his body on the line and made a nuisance of himself at the ruck.
    Ryan was good but not of his usual great standards. In fairness he took on allot of ball close in.

    Healy, Herring, Henderson and POM need a big increase in performance if Ireland are to win today.

    Hopefully Kelleher gets a good run today.
    Furlong might only last for 45/50 mins after last weeks heroics.

    Think he would be a good candidate for captain.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ corcaigh07


    Looking forward to this, will be quite physical, but also expecting game to be quite open


    Does anyone know somewhere decent in Rathgar in Dublin that will be showing game?

    The 108 but go now for seats!


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭ mfceiling


    Lads anywhere in London (oxford street area) that you could recommend?

    Bonus if it does decent grub.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Thisonedone


    The game kicks off at 2.15 and coverage on virgin one starts at 1, madness, what are they going to talk about for so long? 75 mins of pre game chatting about a game that lasts 80 mins (really about 45 mins if you only count the time the ball is in play). Could understand if it was a world cup semi final or something.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭ thebaz


    Huge test for Farrell - superb rugby player , but untested as a coach at this level , so far it has been more of the same 2019 form and conservative selections (Murray/POM) , apart from try saw very little to be positive about against Scotland, lose and play badly he will come under real pressure , I agree with Franno , it was the wrong selection , and made too early, job should have been given to Lancaster.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n


    thebaz wrote: »
    Huge test for Farrell - superb rugby player , but untested as a coach at this level , so far it has been more of the same 2019 form and conservative selections (Murray/POM) , apart from try saw very little to be positive about against Scotland, lose and play badly he will come under real pressure , I agree with Franno , it was the wrong selection , and made too early, job should have been given to Lancaster.

    Agreeing with Franno is always a bad place to start. Lancaster wasn’t interested, he didn’t go for the job. It is completely ridiculous to talk about Farrell being the wrong person for the job after one game (we won). To quote Nigel this isn’t football you know?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭ thebaz


    stephen_n wrote: »
    Agreeing with Franno is always a bad place to start. Lancaster wasn’t interested, he didn’t go for the job. It is completely ridiculous to talk about Farrell being the wrong person for the job after one game (we won). To quote Nigel this isn’t football you know?

    Joe was supposedly not interested last time, heading back to NZ , but money talks these days.

    Not completly ridiculous to question Farrells early appointment after such a dreadful world cup failure , while Leinster under Lancaster/Cullen are tearing it up - the IRFU over the past decade have managed rugby well, but this appointment I fear was not the correct one , and said so when he was appointed .


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭ ionadnapokot


    Wind picking up nicely around town.

    I think we all know what’s going to happen! & it’s fair enough if you can gain advantage from it.
    Also expecting Wales to test Larmour with a few garryowens and kicks into space.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ Pauliedragon


    Cork city is full of Welsh jerseys. Not an Irish one to be seen. Very strange.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n


    thebaz wrote: »
    Joe was supposedly not interested last time, heading back to NZ , but money talks these days.

    Not completly ridiculous to question Farrells early appointment after such a dreadful world cup failure , while Leinster under Lancaster/Cullen are tearing it up - the IRFU over the past decade have managed rugby well, but this appointment I fear was not the correct one , and said so when he was appointed .

    Farrell was appointed after Ireland tore it up in 2018. If money talked Lancaster would be in England coaching. He said he wasn’t interested in the job and has said on multiple occasions he doesn’t want a head coach role in that sense. I’m sure you were probably agreeing with George Hook that Schmidt lost the Leinster dressing room and wasn’t the man for the job as he’d no head coach experience, when he came to Leinster.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭ stephen_n


    Cork city is full of Welsh jerseys. Not an Irish one to be seen. Very strange.

    Funny there’s feck all in Dublin

    You sure they’re not Munster Jersey’s? ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ Dubinusa


    I think Farrell could be ideal for us! Of course, he could piss the sheets too! I'm willing to wait 18 months. If we still play like geebags then, I will hope he's replaced.
    The big picture is... this is only match 2! Think we should give him some time , and then summon the guillotine!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ Pauliedragon


    stephen_n wrote: »
    Funny there’s feck all in Dublin

    You sure they’re not Munster Jersey’s? ;)
    Na. Havent been drinking yet unfortunately I'm at work. Defo welsh just found out a big group are in town for a friend's 50th. They couldn't get tix for the game so came to Cork for the weekend instead. They don't like Dublin so they came to the real capital instead :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ sliabh 1956


    i must say i love RoG on TV3 he talks so much sense


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭ budhabob


    Cork city is full of Welsh jerseys. Not an Irish one to be seen. Very strange.

    Kilkenny full of welsh aswell


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭ jacothelad


    thebaz wrote: »
    Huge test for Farrell - superb rugby player , but untested as a coach at this level , so far it has been more of the same 2019 form and conservative selections (Murray/POM) , apart from try saw very little to be positive about against Scotland, lose and play badly he will come under real pressure , I agree with Franno , it was the wrong selection , and made too early, job should have been given to Lancaster.


    Lancaster isn't available and I doubt he would want the job.....just yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ mangobob


    Tbh I wouldn't be so down on your chances..... Ireland are going to be hugely motivated for this..... Any win for us today will be a really good outcome.

    I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest I think you guys will take this.

    Wales are a formidable team who always believe that they have Irelands number. They are reigning GS champs and beat Italy out the gate without ever getting out of third gear. You have momentum coming into this.

    We on the other hand are a team in decline over the last 18 months, culminating in a desperately disappointing world cup where we completely flopped. We have a new regime with an unproven coach and were pretty underwhelming last week against an admittedly better than expected Scotland.

    As a long suffering Irish rugby fan I am rarely a beacon of optimism however I am more pessimistic than usual today. I fear that our international team is entering a wilderness period for the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 Former Former


    mangobob wrote: »
    As a long suffering Irish rugby fan I am rarely a beacon of optimism however I am more pessimistic than usual today.

    The last decade has been the most successful in our history, by a long long way.

    Whatever suffering you're imagining is entirely self inflicted.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭ molloyjh


    mangobob wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest I think you guys will take this.

    Wales are a formidable team who always believe that they have Irelands number. They are reigning GS champs and beat Italy out the gate without ever getting out of third gear. You have momentum coming into this.

    We on the other hand are a team in decline over the last 18 months, culminating in a desperately disappointing world cup where we completely flopped. We have a new regime with an unproven coach and were pretty underwhelming last week against an admittedly better than expected Scotland.

    As a long suffering Irish rugby fan I am rarely a beacon of optimism however I am more pessimistic than usual today. I fear that our international team is entering a wilderness period for the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong.

    18 months ago was August 2018. 3 months before one of our victories over NZ. Can we leave the hyperbole out of this please.


Advertisement