Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Heavy hail shower now, everywhere is turning white.
    Those showers seem to be largely missing this spot, but despite the turbulent looking skies and atmosphere, there is a springlike quality to the sunshine today (even if it doesn't feel like it)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

sparrowcar wrote: »
    That was as heavy as I've seen snow in DUB airport for many years. For about 5 mins its was "blizzard" conditions. Couldn't see more than 50m.

In fairness the snow in Dublin during storm Emma in February 2018 was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just wet sleet showers in cork city, did turn to snow for two minutes during one shower but right back to sleet! Heavy sleet too.

Bitterly cold wind though and once the dark clouds appear the temperature drops a few notches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Spoke too soon. Pretty violent hail shower moving through.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Gone to the dogs at this stage! :p

Is there actually a way of limiting who can post in specific thread? Be a good idea for future events to have to request access from a mod to post. To be fair a lot of people are probably posting in the wrong thread unaware. The difference between the two is fairly unclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Is there actually a way of limiting who can post in specific thread? Be a good idea for future events to have to request access from a mod to post. To be fair a lot of people are probably posting in the wrong thread unaware. The difference between the two is fairly unclear.
    I agree about the difference being unclear, maybe the banner should have been put on the other thread rather than this one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have thought of that but there is no mechanism to do that, and, more importantly, may be seen as elitist!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I agree about the difference being unclear, maybe the banner should have been put on the other thread rather than this one.

Good suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good suggestion!

I asked for that days ago when the threads were split!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I asked for that days ago when the threads were split!

Fair enough. At busy times, posts can get lost in the storm (....excuse the pun!)

• Advertisement

Have thought of that but there is no mechanism to do that, and, more importantly, may be seen as elitist!

Indeed yes and as a few folk have pointed out to Mr Roy, he tends to be a little too legalistic? It is not all that vital. It really isn't. There is no harm done in letting free flow. We are all adults. And if you need to you can put posters on "ignore"; just click on their name on the side and that facility will open up

The real issue is maybe splitting the thread at all. Again, the purists demand this. And THAT is elitist :rolleyes:;) Everyone is capable of scrolling past the posts they do not want to read as part of their experience of the storm and the thread. I have to with the maps and graphs and diagrams as they hurt my eyes. And I move freely between the threads.

And also if the thread stayed as one there would be far less bickering and silly but damaging and hurtful attacks. These only took off when the threads were split. The presence of the formal posts would stop that. Trust me on that, please. I speak as one directly affected and I have looked back to assess when and why, and these threads are about people as well as weather

Fair enough. At busy times, posts can get lost in the storm (....excuse the pun!)

You are excused! ;).

The real issue is maybe splitting the thread at all. Again, the purists demand this.

That is an issue and I am not always in favor of splitting treads. For all that want split threads, there is an equal number of people who don't want threads split.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The trajectory of this forum seemingly correlates strongly with the intellect of a significant minority of our electorate.

Knowledge , wisdom and experience is no longer of value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Indeed yes and as a few folk have pointed out to Mr Roy, he tends to be a little too legalistic? It is not all that vital. It really isn't. There is no harm done in letting free flow. We are all adults. And if you need to you can put posters on "ignore"; just click on their name on the side and that facility will open up

The real issue is maybe splitting the thread at all. Again, the purists demand this. And THAT is elitist :rolleyes:;) Everyone is capable of scrolling past the posts they do not want to read as part of their experience of the storm and the thread. I have to with the maps and graphs and diagrams as they hurt my eyes. And I move freely between the threads.

And also if the thread stayed as one there would be far less bickering and silly but damaging and hurtful attacks. These only took off when the threads were split. The presence of the formal posts would stop that. Trust me on that, please. I speak as one directly affected and I have looked back to assess when and why, and these threads are about people as well as weather

It's nothing to do with "purists" or posters being "elitist"... it's about not having to read some of the nonsense that is posted for weather events/generally.

There is overlap. That cannot be avoided. And as someone pointed out to you today, that is normal as we are all human. And it is really not a big deal .

HighLine wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with "purists" or posters being "elitist"... it's about not having to read some of the nonsense that is posted for weather events/generally.

So just scroll past it? Easy enough to see at the start of a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Could you also filter those who post technical information but are always wrong or just over hype it.
    Just because you post something doesn’t mean you know what you are talking about.

The trajectory of this forum seemingly correlates strongly with the intellect of a significant minority of our electorate.

Knowledge , wisdom and experience is no longer of value.

At least partly because the threads are being split and thus one part of the forum is being deprived of good example and sound facts etc. The experts are here to give example, and to teach. Take them away to a …. er "higher?? plane " and of course the whole tone and content nosedives in some ways.

We need the experts to stay among us not to retreat to some ivory tower as this splitting of the list does. They will raise the whole tone and content.

What I have bolded; those three virtues need to be seen and heard and be out among the people.. Not segregated and up on a mountain peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

At least partly because the threads are being split and thus one part of the forum is being deprived of good example and sound facts etc. The experts are here to give example, and to teach. Take them away to a …. er "higher?? plane " and of course the whole tone and content nosedives in some ways.

We need the experts to stay among us not to retreat to some ivory tower as this splitting of the list does. They will raise the whole tone and content.

What I have bolded; those three virtues need to be seen and heard and be out among the people.. Not segregated and up on a mountain peak.

Ok, u've made your point more than once.

• Advertisement

Now THAT IS elitist and comes across as ... well, offensive.

Ok, u've made your point more than once.

Good!

Please excuse me now? Thank you

Guys! Lets keep it calm and civil please!

Bad enough having to moderate storm threads without having to moderate discussions about moderating storm threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Norfolk

DXXTTrm.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I'm going to Limerick tomorrow morning, any chance I'll see any snow as I head West?

(Going to the Analog devices business because I won the award in BTYS :P)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

What prospect do we have for frontal snow in Ulster Thursday night? Usually from experience this is restricted to hills but some models show low level snow.

Icon shows snow heading south again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Now THAT IS elitist and comes across as ... well, offensive.

In fairness, it's not elitist. The big weather event threads usually become a rapid fire cauldron of "will my flight be cancelled?", "this is a non-event here in my mum's basement", "Met Eireann should be fired into the sun for over/underhyping this one", along with joke posts and just general chat.

If you're looking to browse some actual technical charts and see some expert discussion of them, there becomes nowhere to go to do this! And that's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the hard-working mods and posters who populate this forum in the off-seasons.

If boards was a more technically capable platform, perhaps with the ability to thread conversations and "highlight" particularly useful posts, then maybe we could get away with single threads, but otherwise, I'd like to keep seeing technical discussion threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not elitist. The big weather event threads usually become a rapid fire cauldron of "will my flight be cancelled?", "this is a non-event here in my mum's basement", "Met Eireann should be fired into the sun for over/underhyping this one", along with joke posts and just general chat.

If you're looking to browse some actual technical charts and see some expert discussion of them, there becomes nowhere to go to do this! And that's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the hard-working mods and posters who populate this forum in the off-seasons.

If boards was a more technically capable platform, perhaps with the ability to thread conversations and "highlight" particularly useful posts, then maybe we could get away with single threads, but otherwise, I'd like to keep seeing technical discussion threads.

What about the sub 120h model thread?
    Is technical discussion of imminent weather not the purpose of that thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I think it is better to close it now for the moment as it has run it's course and in a couple of days one of the Mod Team will open it again for those that want to add some final stats or data.

Please use the appropriate threads that most pertain to what you are posting about.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note Thread open again for stats and data.

Advertisement