Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

italodisco wrote: »
    And it's stopped in d1

Hopefully that's the worst of it. Feeling a little warmer thank goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That was as heavy as I've seen snow in DUB airport for many years. For about 5 mins its was "blizzard" conditions. Couldn't see more than 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Snowing in Carlow Town. Nearly the exact same time as it started snowing yesterday but I'd expect much of the same, i.e place will be white and then it will melt away come 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Snowing Arklow
    2c
    Wet bulb 0.5c
    Dp -1.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What a massive let down this event was. Woke up to just wet ground in East Galway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Remove if you want admin but I remember a certain person here a few days ago giving everyone stick about there going to be 0 snow. :)

Some places even the east is doing rather well in this set up.

Screenshot_20200211_091423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sparrowcar wrote: »
    That was as heavy as I've seen snow in DUB airport for many years. For about 5 mins its was "blizzard" conditions. Couldn't see more than 50m.

Many years? You must have been abroad during Storm Emma 23 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What a massive let down this event was. Woke up to just wet ground in East Galway :(

looks like kermits prediction of 5 - 10 cm never materialsed.
    its becoming clearer now why there was no dedicated snow thread.
    latest from met.ie suggests Turning back to rain tonight.
    so it all boils down to the next 12 hours.
    The depts of february at night time,an airmass from the strait of labrador
    and down it pisses.gas.

TONIGHT

Wintry showers will continue for a time overnight but will tend to become confined to western
    and northern counties later in the night and turn increasingly to rain and hail.
    Frost and ice forming in many areas as the strong west to southwest breeze begins to moderate.
    Lowest temperatures of minus 1 to plus 2 degrees.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Many years? You must have been abroad during Storm Emma 23 months ago!

No I was here. I stand by my comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

What happened? We’re just as marginal as yesterday with positive wet bulbs despite colder atmospheric conditions?

This cold spell is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sparrowcar wrote: »
    No I was here. I stand by my comment.

Worse than the one that closed the airport 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow in fields but it hasn't snowed....is it hail? Or talc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow gave a covering in Cebridge this morning, but as soon as it stopped it turned to a scuttery mess. Give me rain over this any day.

Wet-bulb temperatures are now at zero or below for many areas, which is why snow is falling, but the saturated ground and strong wind prevented any hard frost from setting in to aid accumulations. A typical polar maritime event.

502518.png

502520.png

Worse than the one that closed the airport 🙈

I didn't say that. Read my post again.

Snowing in Arklow again
    Wet bulb temp 1.1c

Snow gave a covering in Cebridge this morning, but as soon as it stopped it turned to a scuttery mess. Give me rain over this any day.

Wet-bulb temperatures are now at zero or below for many areas, which is why snow is falling, but the saturated ground and strong wind prevented any hard frost from setting in to aid accumulations. A typical polar maritime event.

502518.png

502520.png

Despite the colder conditions it is just as marginal here as it was yesterday.

Temperature here is 1.5c with a wet bulb of 0c but still sleety snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's fruitless chasing snow from the western Atlantic unless you live on top of a mountain. The underlying hard facts of the extent of the body of water the cold air travels across and the temperature of that water are just a cold fact.

If you pull in upper temperatures of -8 from the north east the lower air mass below that is also cold and sometimes even subzero. Unfortunately even with -8 uppers pulled in from Western atlantic it will always be associated with a lower air mass that is greatly dependent on sea temperature and can never really be subzero in our position. Perhaps there is some extreme exception to this rule but I haven't seen it

Of course there is another scenario where a northwesterly flow can collide with an already well established blocking cold high or air flow here and deliver snow _ the undercut. But that is something completely different to the current scenario of Atlantic air driving deep into continental Europe.

This has been a pathetic winter for all of northern Europe and is pretty much ending now. Let's see what next year brings

It's fruitless chasing snow from the western Atlantic unless you live on top of a mountain. The underlying hard facts of the extent of the body of water the cold air travels across and the temperature of that water are just a cold fact.

If you pull in upper temperatures of -8 from the north east the lower air mass below that is also cold and sometimes even subzero. Unfortunately even with -8 uppers pulled in from Western atlantic it will always be associated with a lower air mass that is greatly dependent on sea temperature and can never really be subzero in our position. Perhaps there is some extreme exception to this rule but I haven't seen it

Of course there is another scenario where a northwesterly flow can collide with an already well established blocking cold high or air flow here and deliver snow _ the undercut. But that is something completely different to the current scenario of Atlantic air driving deep into continental Europe.

This has been a pathetic winter for all of northern Europe and is pretty much ending now. Let's see what next year brings

What sort of temperatures do we need from the Atlantic to get sea level lying snow then? -15c 850pha lol?

We got lying snow from the Atlantic sourced airmass two weeks ago so I’m not sure what’s different this time around?

To be fair it is actually cold today, with temps below 2c the problem is that the atmosphere is saturated.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Temperature here is 1.5c with a wet bulb of 0c but still sleety snow.

Yes but letterkenny is a lot closer to the Atlantic ocean
    Land travel with the air mass is an influencer

You often see it in reverse in marginal easterlies when the snow is well inland or up high

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yes but letterkenny is a lot closer to the Atlantic ocean
    Land travel with the air mass is an influencer

You often see it in reverse in marginal easterlies when the snow is well inland or up high

It’s actually quite cold here though.. the problem is the wet bulbs and the intensity of the showers.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s actually quite cold here though.. the problem is the wet bulbs and the intensity of the showers.

No,your problem is marine layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We had a better covering two weeks ago.
    Also three years ago we got a decent covering from a polar maritime airmass.
    So westerlies can deliver, but if you are after dry snow that settles readily during the day, then Westerlies will never satisfy, unless you get a perfect frontal snow event. The reason this event did not deliver as good as a couple of weeks ago is really due to the wind and warm sectors. Had the colder air got in sooner last night, and it
    had been frosty beforehand, then there would have been a decent covering. I would love to get a foot of snow, but yesterday was an interesting day weather-wise- thunder, hail, very gusty winds and snow at times, give me that over a typical rainy day in Ireland.

Moderate snow here near Arklow
    Large flakes
    Wet bulb still plus 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Snowing in East Cork :) not a hope of it settling but nice to see a bit fall all the same

Stopped my car at 200m. Now walking up. It’s absolutely Baltic.

Blowing a wind very hard to breath!

There is powder snow above 300m but it’s not deep!

Ground is frozen solid above 300m

On my way back down frozen solid.

Ground is frozen solid above 300m

• Advertisement

It’s so cold up there I can hardly breath. Crazy windchill. I wouldn’t advise anyone to do this!

Advertisement