Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Barr wrote: »
    Just an update with my glass protector .

I fitted the whitestone glass protector .It is not the cheapest at about €50 delivered .

First of all fitting it was a right palava . My first go I made a right bags of it.
    Basically I took too long to fit the glass which meant the glue escaped down the side of the phone. This left me short of glue so had to start again .

Luckily it comes with 2 protectors and 3 viles of glue.
    Second time went perfect after lessons learnt in the first go .

Now the glass is on , it is hardly noticeable at all.

The finger print works exactly the same as before so I am happy overall .

Class!!

The plastic ones arrived today and I'm super impressed. Came with the guide and video instructions, was a 6 step process but there are no bubbles or blemishes. Feels a lot smoother than using the glass, just a risk I'll have to take.

On a side note if anyone is looking for a good as new clear Spigen Ultra Hybrid and a glass protector, hit me up :) up on Adverts atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

ndm123 wrote: »
    Mine is in great nick, the Spigen case arrived this morning and looks like it will offer good protection while sacrificing the sleekness of the phone. Mine came with headphones and cable but no USBC to USB adapter.

Not a scratch on the phone, still had most of the plastic film, pretty much brand new. Did you order one with small visual defect? Did it have one? Cheers!

Mine had no defect but was missing headphones, USB C cable, and screen protector was gone. I picked up an OtterBox from Amazon warehouse as well. Overall gr8 value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I haven't tried these but some of them look nice .

Especially like the one with the led notifictaion as it is something I miss from my previous phone .

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/26/5-great-utilities-to-make-the-most-of-your-galaxy-s20/

Especially like the one with the led notifictaion as it is something I miss from my previous phone .

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/26/5-great-utilities-to-make-the-most-of-your-galaxy-s20/

Tried the Energy Light on my old S10e and worked great. Some of them look nice, I might try them out.

Currently using the built in Edge Lighting setting with thick bars and custom colours for apps. Works really really well.

I have installed the energy one there and delighted with it :)

Also installed the night vision ......crazy how that will work in the dark !

• Advertisement

176mb update this morning.

I've had the aodnotify one installed for a few days now. Thought it would rape the battery but it's not too bad. Uses maybe 2 or 3% per day, even with the missus constantly texting me which activates the fake LED light like a BILLION times an hour.
    rizzee wrote: »

Currently using the built in Edge Lighting setting with thick bars and custom colours for apps. Works really really well.

I tried the built in edge lighting but found it useless unless you're staring at your phone waiting for notifications 24/7. The edge lighting activates for 2 seconds then turns off forever. Kind of useless for me. Wish it would flash every minute or so until you see the notification. That's why I installed aodnotify.

I've had the aodnotify one installed for a few days now. Thought it would rape the battery but it's not too bad. Uses maybe 2 or 3% per day, even with the missus constantly texting me which activates the fake LED light like a BILLION times an hour.

Perfect way to get the missus off your back -tell her she is killing your battery :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 meepp

Quick question:

Do Hong Kong versions use a Snapdragon processor or Exynos?

please and thank you.

meepp wrote: »
    Quick question:

Do Hong Kong versions use a Snapdragon processor or Exynos?

please and thank you.

The only place I know that sell them from Hong Kong is a crowd called Wonda Mobile.They sell the snapdragon if you are looking for that version .

• Advertisement

Got the August update the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I have an S10+ only used for 6 months with a crack on the bottom right corner of the screen. Phone working perfectly other than that. Factory screen protector still on. Plastic still on the back.
    Can anyone recommend a good place to get it replaced? I don't mind posting it in as long as it's done right. Anyone ever mail stuff to these guys? They seem to be UK only.
    https://samsungrepair.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

rizzee wrote: »
    Sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184233722743

Just realised the logo is centred in the photos compared to the one I got (down the bottom). Can't complain at that price.

Got some of these up on adverts if anyone is interested send me a PM! Bought some for an S20 that I decided not to buy :D

Pacifico wrote: »
    Got some of these up on adverts if anyone is interested send me a PM! Bought some for an S20 that I decided not to buy :D

I seen that! :D I've a red Samsung one for the S20+ as per link for a fiver if anyone wants it give me a shout!

Sold my S20+ the weekend & bought a Nord & kept a couple of hundred in the pocket. I only keep phones for a couple of months max anyway, the prices plummeted with the release of the Note 20 ( on Adverts you can get a new S20 plus for 700 quid) so got the quick sale in while I could.

Does bad wifi signal affect battery drain?

I'm losing about 15% overnight with the phone just sitting on my bedside locker.

Wifi signal is pretty crap in my room.

No sign of misbehaving apps. Used the battery historian tool to check everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Does bad wifi signal affect battery drain?

I'm losing about 15% overnight with the phone just sitting on my bedside locker.

Wifi signal is pretty crap in my room.

No sign of misbehaving apps. Used the battery historian tool to check everything out.

I'm not sure but maybe set up a routine so the WiFi isn't connected all night.Could have it coming on maybe 5 mins before you usually get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

had my s20 ultra for almost a month now really cant say im impressed with the camera quality what are other users opinions?

I'm not sure but maybe set up a routine so the WiFi isn't connected all night.Could have it coming on maybe 5 mins before you usually get up.

I was thinking of time based routines but decided against it as it would get in the way as I stay up late sometimes and don't want the wifi suddenly disconnecting on me.

I found that the 5ghz wifi was sucking the battery, so switched to 2.4ghz which sorted it out.

I also set up a routine that switches to 2G mode when I'm connected to home wifi. This seems to have reduced idle drain even further. Phone reception is also bad in my house.

Lost about 3% last night with wifi on and mobile data in 2G mode. Apparently you can still get phone calls on 2G mode although haven't tested it.

I also have Naptime installed, and the majority of apps in deep sleep mode using samsung device care.

As you can probably tell I hate idle battery drain.

had my s20 ultra for almost a month now really cant say im impressed with the camera quality what are other users opinions?

I haven't brought the camera for a real test run yet. But haven't noticed anything bad so far.

What problems are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Has anyone else this wireless charger for their S20 :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YF67PBW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AFOCHNFP646VE&psc=1

My current one (released at the time of the S8) never seems to lock on to charge the S20, or cuts after a 1min. I am using a UAG case on my S20.

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless charger suitable to the S20 with a case that ideally gets the max wireless power.

How do you guys find battery life?

I don't know if anybody is as autistic as me with battery life but I thought I'd share what I've done to squeeze the most out of it.

With the latest test I lasted 36 hours away from the charger, with 6 hours 20 mins screen on time. Regular S20.

Note: I will admit that it was light enough use. Browsing reddit, using the internet browser, lots of texting on whatsapp and viber, and some YouTube. No gaming. Not a lot of camera use. Although I only game when connected to a charger anyway.

My tips:

Deep sleeping apps

Any app that I don't use regularly goes into deep sleep. My messaging apps are not in deep sleep nor is my reddit app or internet browser. I open them too often and I think battery life would be worse if they weren't kept in ram had had to load up from sleep multiple times per hour.. Games and stuff are nuked instantly when I install them. Basically anything I don't need notifications for is nuked.

Funnily enough, I nuked Netflix, but it still pops up in wakelock stats - it uses my accelerometer in the background. Actually that's not funny it's suspicious. I guess Netflix have a special deal with Samsung as it's a system app and it's allowed to run wild.

Some apps that I didn't put into deep sleep popped up on the battery stats with background usage. For example one day my reddit app had something like 2 hours of foreground usage and 8 hours of background. Wtf? So I went into the app settings (not device care) and disabled the background usage toggle whenever I saw this happening for any app on the battery stats. Most apps are still working fine. Doesn't work great with the browser. For example if you're listening to something on the browser and go to home, the notification status doesn't show up which means you can't pause it.

Ads

I have Disconnect Pro installed. It's an anti tracker (cookies and stuff) that also happens to block like 90% of ads. It uses the built in Knox system so it's basically part of the system rather than a third party VPN. Available on the Samsung Store for a hefty price, although I got it when they had a free offer.

Display

Dark mode always on. Dark mode everything. If there's an app that has dark / black mode, i turn it on.

60hz display mode. Resolution FHD. I know there's a 96hz hack we can do, I'd like to try that next and see how much it affects battery life.

I disabled AOD. Never liked it. Had the feature on my S7 for years and never enabled it there either. Not bothered with it. To see notifications I installed AOD notify to show a little light around the camera. Set it to eco mode. Displays for 30 minutes. Used 1.6% of battery during the 36 hours.

Bixby Routines

I set up bixby routines for places I go often. Work, home and my girlfriend's house. Wifi turns on whenever I arrive. Turns off when I leave. If I'm not in those places wifi is always off. What's the point in walking around town with your phone trying to connect to every cafe you walk past. I've even connected to a bus that drove past me once. Very annoying.

The other bixby routine is to change network mode to 2G when I'm connected to those wifi signals. Bad phone reception kills your battery. This seems to fix the problem. It stopped a lot of idle drain in work, where I have almost no reception. Usually the battery would shyt it's pants when I'm in the office and I would turn on airplane mode + wifi on to fix it. My phone reception is not great at home either. Switching to 2G sorted this problem. However - I think Samsung needs to iron out a few bugs with this. Sometimes it doesn't go back to 4G mode. Proceed with caution.

I have auto sync turned off. A bixby routine turns it on whenever I'm connected to a charger. This f%^&ed up Gmail. So I disabled Gmail and used Outlook instead. Works perfectly and doesn't need sync.

Always Dozing

I installed Naptime which enables doze within 5 seconds. Usually it takes 30 mins to kick in. I expected this app to completely mess up notifications, but it hasn't caused a lot of trouble. I think there was one WhatsApp notification I didn't get over the last few days. All notifications from my stock trading app were disabled due to this. I had to disable battery optimization in the settings to let them through. Other than that, seems to be working fine although I will keep an eye on it for another few days. Idle drain has dramatically reduced.

Gestures

I disabled all gestures such as lift to wake, and smart stay where it's constantly tracking your eyeballs. I only enabled for double tap to wake, and advanced screenshot whatever it's called.

Network Stuff

Nearby device scanning off, Bluetooth location scanning off, printing service off. I have NFC and location always on. Google location reporting on also. Wifi Power saving mode on. Detect suspicious networks off. Hotspot 2.0 off.

Conclusion

I still need further testing. I expect camera usage will seriously rape battery. Same if you're making a lot of phone calls. This was just a day and a half of going to work and sitting at home. I'm sure I won't get near 36hrs if I'm on a staycation somewhere taking photos of everything. However the settings above should help me get a few more hours than if I didn't use them. But at least I know it will now comfortably last me 24 hours during the work week and don't have to worry much.

I know I could have charged it everywhere I was, but this was more of an experiment to see what would happen if there were no chargers anywhere.

Battery stats screenshot:

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/z8LuEMrEtO8L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Sorry if this has already been asked but what's the best charging case/battery pack that delivers to Ireland? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what's the best charging case/battery pack that delivers to Ireland? Cheers.

In my opinion it's Elecjet PowerPie, you can just Google it, you can order either from their website or Amazon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm on an S9 plus and the charge port is utterly convinced that it has moisture in it. Been that way for a week.
    Looking at pricing, some models of the S20 plus are coming into my budget.
    Are they enough of a jump from the S9 plus or should I hold tough a while ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just upgraded from an S8 to an S20+. Loving the improvement so far. One question though: DeX works perfectly on the old S8, using an Apple USB-C to HDMI multiport adapter, but I can't for the life of me get it working with the S20+. Have tried changing the refresh rate and resolution, and no joy at all. Works perfectly well with the S8, using the same adapter and HDMI cable. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I just upgraded from an S8 to an S20+. Loving the improvement so far. One question though: DeX works perfectly on the old S8, using an Apple USB-C to HDMI multiport adapter, but I can't for the life of me get it working with the S20+. Have tried changing the refresh rate and resolution, and no joy at all. Works perfectly well with the S8, using the same adapter and HDMI cable. Any ideas?

Do you need to launch DeX via the pull down quick tiles now maybe, I know that the S20 series just got OneUI 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

buyitdirect.ie has great prices for s20 range including plus and ultra. Disclaimer - I've never used them, but am considering buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

buyitdirect.ie has great prices for s20 range including plus and ultra. Disclaimer - I've never used them, but am considering buying from them.
    Eglobal seems a lot cheaper, if you don't mind waiting a month for delivery. I received my S20+ last week after waiting a month, for €595.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I got a new firmware update today. With some new options, like Wireless Samsung Dex and more. Still using the August 1st Security
    Patch. So will probably update again in a couple of days.

• Advertisement

bazzz wrote: »
    I got a new firmware update today. With some new options, like Wireless Samsung Dex and more. Still using the August 1st Security
    Patch. So will probably update again in a couple of days.

You know Samsung phones can do scrolling screenshots. No need to split it in two. See attachment:

Advertisement