Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe they'll cut the wings off completely, cut the tail fin and one of the horizontal stabilisers off, then roll the entire 2-storey fuselage on its side?

Should fit through the doors then, shouldn't it?

I don’t understand why you think it needs to be done indoors ?

mickdw wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a great plan.
    Pulling apart an aluminium shell at the top of a hill in the west of Ireland alongside a working runway - what could possibly go wrong.
    There was a video here of them tearing apart a jet in the hanger which made alot of sense.

Aircraft are scrapped outdoors not indoors everywhere, this will be the same. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe they'll cut the wings off completely, cut the tail fin and one of the horizontal stabilisers off, then roll the entire 2-storey fuselage on its side?

Should fit through the doors then, shouldn't it?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I laughed heartily!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Aircraft are scrapped outdoors not indoors everywhere, this will be the same. End of story.

Except in the video from this very company who scrapped a jet entirely within their hanger.
    Clearly work will be happening outdoors on the A380 but how do you guarantee that crap doesn't blow onto the runway.
    From my own experience of construction at airports, any debris making it's way outside the site boundary was treated as an emergency. Chopping a fuselage is a messy business, just seems odd so close to runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Guys,thanks for sharing this info here...is a bless and a curse !

Did the mistake telling to my son and now ... well,he wants to see it landing !

By any chance,any of you knows what time it may land in Knock ?
    I am taking the Friday day off and "already" he is sick from school.
    Planning to leave Dublin by car at 7ish, that means arriving in Knock at maybe 10am.

Will that do the job, pretty please ?!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

rolion wrote: »

Planning to leave Dublin by car at 7ish, that means arriving in Knock at maybe 10am.

Thanks
    Bring a flask and Sambos!

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Bring a flask and Sambos!

Yeah... i will have him and a fully charged phone with FlightRadar, no need for food or water ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Yeah... i will have him and a fully charged phone with FlightRadar, no need for food or water ! :)

Keep an eye on this page befour ya travel west on Fri,I heard today it may be sat now before it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

I just got a notification on FR24 that it's departed Dresden....I thought it was in Leipzig since yesterday????

Thanks

Don’t plan anything yet, I’m hearing it might be Saturday now but that hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Sorry it’s aviation things change constantly for many reasons.

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    I just got a notification on FR24 that it's departed Dresden....I thought it was in Leipzig since yesterday????

It’s on the ground at Dresden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

When did it return from Leipzig? Did FR24 notify us? I must have missed it if it did....

hopeso wrote: »
    When did it return from Leipzig? Did FR24 notify us? I must have missed it if it did....

No idea, but FR24 isn’t 100% accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like someone is taking the transponder for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

mickdw wrote: »
    Except in the video from this very company who scrapped a jet entirely within their hanger.
    Clearly work will be happening outdoors on the A380 but how do you guarantee that crap doesn't blow onto the runway.
    From my own experience of construction at airports, any debris making it's way outside the site boundary was treated as an emergency. Chopping a fuselage is a messy business, just seems odd so close to runway.

Suggest you look at some photos from Kemble (Cotswold Airport), where they have been parting out airliners, large and small, in the open, for years. The area where aircraft meet their end is close enough to the eastern threshold of the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Because they're not designed as freighters and to convert them into freighters would require an STC (supplementary type certificate) by the manufacturer or a third party which would involve a huge amount of investment to have it designed and certified. It would also involve a huge amount of structural work to be done on the aircraft to cut the hole for the door and beef up the structure to allow for the changes in load forces and the installation of a cargo loading system.
    With so few aircraft for conversion, so little interest in a freighter version of it it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort (and cost) of designing the STC, they would never recoup the design costs.
    Far better to design an STC for a freighter conversion for aircraft that are already widely available and in cheap supply.

I thought the original A380 program included the A380F, they got around 27 orders for them but they postponed production until the A380 passenger jet stabilised. I remember some big couriers being interested in them. I wonder if the freighter model would have been all that different to the passenger model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

yer man! wrote: »
    I thought the original A380 program included the A380F, they got around 27 orders for them but they postponed production until the A380 passenger jet stabilised. I remember some big couriers being interested in them. I wonder if the freighter model would have been all that different to the passenger model.

It did, in fact the very first A380 announcement included 2 x A380Fs for Emirates (6th firm order for Airbus).

It wouldn't have been too different from the passenger model, here's the Airbus impression:-

A380freighter_1.jpg

Between 2001-2005 27 A380Fs were ordered by Emirates, ILFC, FedEx and UPS, by 2007 all orders had been cancelled with the exception of 7 which were converted to passenger variants (of which 5 were subsequently cancelled).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Quite a few rumours about A380 and where its going to be scrapped.

These are generally decommissioned in Lourdes which is associated with Sanctuary of Our Lady in Lourdes and I personally think people somehow mistaken that for Sanctuary of our lady in Knock and rumours travel fast.

My bet is these will not go to Knock. Lets see what Friday brings.

Xpro wrote: »
    Quite a few rumours about A380 and where its going to be scrapped.

These are generally decommissioned in Lourdes which is associated with Sanctuary of Our Lady in Lourdes and I personally think people somehow mistaken that for Sanctuary of our lady in Knock and rumours travel fast.

Eh.........what ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

You have to admit, it's quite the coincidence .... maybe Airbus are hoping they might be reincarnated ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Manuel wrote: »
    You have to admit, it's quite the coincidence .... maybe Airbus are hoping they might be reincarnated ......

Oh they'll be reincarnated alright.

As Coke cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Xpro wrote: »

I'll take that bet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did I see it in Dublin today or was it a 747?

Noticed it as I was leaving the office. Parked down by fed ex and DHL planes. Deffo had an upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

ted1 wrote: »
    Did I see it in Dublin today or was it a 747?

Noticed it as I was leaving the office. Parked down by fed ex and DHL planes. Deffo had an upstairs

Was a 747, see this post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112502829&postcount=8851

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Suggest you look at some photos from Kemble (Cotswold Airport), where they have been parting out airliners, large and small, in the open, for years. The area where aircraft meet their end is close enough to the eastern threshold of the runway.

Does that place take regular scheduled commercial aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

ted1 wrote: »

That is a fantastic pic taken by Michal Haraf.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Eh.........what ?!

There's a company called TARMAC at Tarbes/Lourdes airport that scraps planes...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Folks, you can set up an alert on https://flightaware.com/account/manage/alerts (requires registration, but is free) for F-HPJB. It will email you any movements. Did so for Dresden - Leipzig the other day, but not for any return flight, so perhaps the plane is still at Leipzig. Having said that, I'll defer to @GVHOT or anybody who actually knows where it actually is at any given time.

• Advertisement

I know i am pushing too far maybe... but i wonder if its there a chance that if the plane landed in our Knock side of the woods, can someone from there allow us to touch the plane or see it closer ?
    Even if that will cost me,like a nice bottle with magic liquid !?

Advertisement