Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loki - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ms Marvel seems to be leading into The Marvels, not sure with Loki. Remember The Marvels was supposed to come out last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've a feeling the events of Loki will be kept sufficiently adjacent to the movies so that it adds more context but isn't required viewing. There's so much scope with variant Kangs to just either go with the one from Ant Man or create a new "main Kang" in the movies. I doubt the Kang in Loki will become the big bad for this Saga. He could become "he who remains", coming back in later in the Saga where his origin and the TVA could be quickly recapped without all the baggage of the series. There's already enough multiverse baggage as there is (especially for casual followers of the MCU). e.g. as far as movie only viewers are concerned, the multiverse has always been there but Strange opened the door.

As for the episode, it was a step up this week. I still find the motivations of different characters to be a bit flaky but at least this week there was a bit more direction to things. Nice to close the loop on the Sylvie elevator scene. Good ending to it too to set up the last few episodes. The spaghetti moment was real shock twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually really enjoyed that episode. It had the right balance of fun, suspense, and character moments. Some of the shots like Sylvie in the record store were great too; the kind of thing we don't see enough of in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

That was great TV, kept you guessing

Really good episode that. The time collapsing effect is very well done. I quite enjoyed that OB, of all the people Loki was searching for, was still pretty much TVA OB. I also liked that he leaned away from the "science" to help Loki time slip, instead getting him to focus on the "why" and ultimately "who". Just 1 episode to go though yeah? The season so far hasn't been a patch on season 1 but it's going out on a strong note.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only on Episode 4 but damn, that was a grisly way to kill people where the show went out of its way to downplay its implications. Even ramping up the soundtrack so you couldn't possibly hear any .... uh, crunching.

Also lol at the dramatic, heroic music, punctuated by sudden spaghettification - itself also grisly in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm curious if

Loki's ability to move through time will continue into the MCU, and does this make him a Nexus being?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really hope there's positive feedback to the penny pinchers at Marvel studios: Allowing 'Loki' to use proper sets, away from green screen, makes this show look so much better (and that includes comparing it against the weak SFX of some of the recent films). The production values for the TVA are among the strongest across the entire franchise.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

100% this. It looks more cinematic than any Marvel output in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Watched episode 6 this morning and by was that good kinda predictable yes but good too.

This could have been in a Cinema it looked and sounded that good.

So is that it for this season?

Be interesting to see where they go from that ending.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Loki has looked fabulous throughout, no question. Such a marked difference in the MCU with as you say, an actual tangible sense of itself. The TVA sets always look so great

Thought that was a great finale. Awkward start to the season in the first few episodes, but everything came together really well in the second half. I can't see them doing a third season, most likely the events here will just lead into either Kang Dynasty or Secret Wars.

Really enjoyed it in the end though. Nailed the landing in both seasons of the show, whereas most of the Disney shows haven't been able to nail the landing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really like how image of the timeline at the end

forming the Norse world tree. Nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought that was Marvel at its best again; kept simple, strong performances, and an emotional depth to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wowser that was a brilliant final episode. Lot to take in!

I thought Hiddleston was good throughout but took things to a totally different level in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The sets in Andor are superb too, you cant beat real physical sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so is loki like a battery?

Great final episode. The last 2 episodes really saved the season for me, though looking back so much in the first 4 episodes sort of went nowhere... can't even remember now what the point of X-5 was in the story, Ms Minutes brilliantly went full psycho and then got killed off, Renslayer was a bystander, Sylvie was wasted, Timely was grating more than anything and was ultimately a red herring. As a whole it all got tied up nicely but the final payoff didn't quite put the first 4 episodes under a fresh light for me. I did however enjoy the explanation for the Loom. It was a fail safe "doomsday" device which makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, the finale itself was great. Loki's journey was just the icing on the cake for his journey since the first Thor. The initial time loop trying to move things along quickly was fun. That he spent centuries in a loop to then try and fix the Loom... that was desperation and then it failed. Tom Hiddleston was fantastic in that whole sequence. And then revisiting the End of Time. The conversation with HWR was fascinating and put a new slant on HWR from what we knew in Season 1. Loki's final fate then is bittersweet. Epic moment, cool visuals, slightly heartbreaking eternal fate for Loki.

I wonder will this be the last of Loki (the character). They neatly included the line at the TVA about the Kang variants not knowing about the TVA (yet). My feeling is that they never will. I think the MCU movies will stay away from the events of Loki. Instead, it will focus on the multiverse war without getting into why there is a multiverse (aside from maybe a couple of easter eggs for those who watched Loki). It'd be too much to reintroduce Loki as he now is in the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes I expect Loki to be gone from MCU at this point. No doubt he will make a reappearance a few years down the line as a surprise cameo, but for now they have essentially closed out his story.

• Advertisement

He's more like the loom that was there, except he's using his godly abilities to manage an infinite number of branches rather than the loom being a failsafe to protect the sacred timeline above all others.

So Loki is using his new powers over time as well as his normal god powers to let all branches live, hence why it's now represented by a tree (akin to the tree of life from Norse mythology which I won't even try to spell or google) rather than a loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

timey wimey... never works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Awful stuff overall.

Very much a series that didn't really know what to do with the main character for me personally. Can look at the last couple episodes as just a way of centering, and more or less signing off, a figure they had more or less relegated in his own show in any case.

Real shame, as Hiddleston is a talented actor, and probably the only reason I'd bothered with the show (more or less gave Marvel the heave-ho since Doctor Strange 2...though Endgame in reality like a lot of people). Last couple episodes at least showed why the fans had taken to him over the last 14-15 years, but probably time to give it a rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Really hard to believe that this was a show that was planned out start to finish. There was just so much faffing about, particularly in season 2.

It bothered me that they spent so much time and energy trying to fix the loom (which hadn't even been referenced in season 1 I don't think?) only to find out that it was doing the exact opposite of what they were trying to achieve. You have to wonder, what was the point of the TVA at all if Kang had a device that protected the sacred timeline without their intervention?

And Sylvie was such an aggrevating character. Even though it was explained to her multiple times that if she didn't help, that all the other branches (including the McDonald's one she was on) would end up destroyed. Still, she continued to work against them and cause havoc whenever she showed up. What was so great about the McDonald's timeline anyway? What I assumed would be a one-off joke when she first arrived there ended up being a recurring location throughout. McDonald's must have paid Disney a pretty penny for so much exposure! Apart from her providing Loki with moral conflict at the end, she seemed to have no point at all in this season.

Apart from Loki, I felt most of the characters were given precious little to do and no depth beyond surface level. Ms. Minutes probably had the most consistent and interesting character of them all. Renslayer was dealt with so quickly I kept expecting her to come back again and all we got was a brief scene of her in the pruned nothing-land.

And I'm not sure if Kangs grand schemes/intentions actually made sense. Him offering the Lokis a "choice", him giving Loki the time powers and admitting to him that the loom was a fail-safe. What was Kangs endgame there? Surely he could have easily predicted Lokis eventual course of action.

And is the TVA now just a team that goes round nullifying the various Kang variants?

And why, in an earlier episode was it revealed that Loki pruned himself? Straight after he said it would make sense, but did it?!

While I enjoyed the grand visuals at the end where Loki ended up taking the throne among the timelines, it all felt a bit hollow for some reason. Was it really necessary for him to sacrifice himself? When he destroyed the loom, why didn't the other timelines simply continue growing on on their own?

I will say that the show was fantastic from a production point of view. The direction, the editing, the sets, the music, the effects; these were all streets above the typical Marvel fare (even the movies in some cases!).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

OK maybe a stupid question

In endgame Loki gets the stone and time travel? Then comes back in a second.

Loki tv show starts with this and we follow what happens to loki in the time before he returns? Doesn't this mean that loki has to end up back to the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah I really enjoyed that. Very good show overall. Good ending too.

Far better than some of the other marvel stuff lately.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

In Endgame, Loki gets the space stone (the Tesseract) and teleports away. Then the TVA capture him. However, this is now a Loki from a branched timeline, and he's therefore a Variant (which is why the TVA captured him) and doesn't return. He doesn't need to return to the same point because when the Avengers gathered the Infinity stones they then returned to their own timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finish season two. Liked it. Built really well one season one. Really good interwoven story and performances.

Think there's definitely a season three or follow-on somewhere in the MCU planned. I'd like season three anyway.

Guessing at the end then that

Renslayer and that purple colour is either one of the winning Victor Timelys or .. like.. unlikely.. but maybe Apocalypse. Probably a Timely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

On the spoiler...

My first thought was Apocalypse and then I started to think maybe it was filmed later and added in and it's there as a get out of jail angle for Marvel if Jonathan Majors ends up going to jail they could turn Renslayer into a female variant Kang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The purple is Alioth, the clowd protector in the Void

Advertisement