Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loki - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

One of life's big questions was answered

If you met yourself of the opposite gender would you get off with them

Loki says yes

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Yeah I know. I was being a big vague. But they could have gone about it in so many different ways, pun intended. I don’t mean to be overly pessimistic because I do love the premise, the production and the actors but the execution left me unsatisfied. Maybe in another timeline this show fulfilled its potential.

They have utterly depowered Loki, a fantastic antagonist to whomever he faced. Ever since his popularity began to increase the MCU seem to be compelled to set him on a redemption path and take away his more sinister/bad characteristics. Now he’s just an unsure, anxious analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thought it was a great show . Kids loved it and cheered when they saw there will be a second season . .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

another pandemic constrained show

disappointing ending

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The fifth episode was overly sentimental, and full of plot holes.

Di Martinos acting is not the best, but Hiddleston, Wilson and Grant did a good job.

The finale was enjoyable, if a bit simplistic.

Even leaving the time aspect out of it there are too many plot holes and coincidences.

The music was very good, and I like the direction the show took, I wish it would have been a bit darker but thats not going to happen with Marvel.

Very enjoyable series overall and looking forward to season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not sure how I feel about the series as a whole... First 2 episodes were great. It felt very fresh, the music, the characters, the setting all just popped. I think episodes 3-4 sagged a bit. Episode 5 offered something new and the multiple Loki's was fun. The finale then was a solid, if not very exciting end to the season. Kang was great, what a fantastic backstory and set up for the rest of the MCU. We've seen the good of Kang, I assume next we'll see the bad. The guy who plays Kang ate up every scene, looking forward to more of him. If nothing else, Loki has firmly set the stage for phase 4 (and probably beyond) so applause all round for that. I'm glad it's getting a second season because while it still feels like it was a show that was all "setup" and little payoff. I'm looking forward to seeing how Loki Season 2 and Kang tie in chronologically with the rest of the MCU.

My biggest disappointment in this is that Loki himself felt too much like a passenger (literally going by what Kang explained) and never in control. It does make sense though, given the context, existing in a dimension where the Infinity Stones have no power. Hopefully, next season, with the knowledge he now has, he'll have the upper hand and engage in some scheming of his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Loki was a flop? According to who? Flops don't tend to get second seasons lol 🤣

Too much talk, they literally had the characters sitting in chairs Zzzzzzzzzzz

And did Loki do anything Lokiish the entire six episodes? Any tricks, or devilment? Seems like the writers couldn't be bothered. But, we have a caring Loki now - he'll be joining the Avengers next.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jonathan Majors was class, easily one of my favourite TV performances of the year.

Seems to be polarizing opinions here, but really enjoyed the series myself personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What tricks? TV shows get renewed all the time. Just because you personally don't like the show doesn't mean its renewal is dark conspiracy.

And Wandavision was clearly written as a once off, limited serial. It never felt like something with a season 2 in mind.

Again, where is the data it was a flop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Appropriate that you keep using the word "dull"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As someone who isn't a comic book reader. I found Loki hard to follow.

Honestly I found Iron Fist a better watch.

Like the show, don't like the show, everyone's entitled to their perspectives - but don't demean other users or their opinions for being contrary to your own buttfan. Feel free to debate the details without implying folks are somehow incapable of their own preferences.

Still waiting for explanation of how this was a flop? Especially given streaming services are slow to reveal their watch data. "I didn't like the show" doesn't make it a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I thought it was a great show, always kept me interested and intrigued. As a fairly big Dr. Who fan (at least when it's good), it definitely felt like a Dr. Who season with a much bigger budget but I mean that in the best possible way. (based on this show Hiddleston would have made a great Doctor had his career gone a different way)

The biggest problem I had, which is only trivial really but it kept annoying me, was that this did not seem like the same Loki who from his viewpoint very recently killed Agent Coulson and terrorized people in Germany and New York. It felt much more like the Loki who went through the character growth in movies after The Avengers.

It is a minor quibble especially for such a short season and I guess the scene in the first ep where he sees snippets of how his life would have played out was meant to fast track that character growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jeez. I didn’t think so many people would be unhappy with this show. I thought it was bloody great.

Majors was brilliant as He Who Remains. He’ll be able to play a totally different version of himself when we meet Kang the Conqueror.

Post edited by GSPfan on

I think somewhere it was said, outside of the show, that the sceptre Loki wielded during the Avengers corrupted his mind. He never really behaved that openly malevolently since that point. Mind you, the more accurate answer is that Feige realised Loki was super popular, and like many villains before him, got neutered; Loki's rougher edges sanded down into "charming rogue" rather than out and out antagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone know how I add someone to my ignore list on the new site.

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ive tried watching the series. Fell asleep through a few episodes so I went back to rewatch snd it’s not allowing me. So now I’m on episode 6 snd I can’t/won’t let me go back to watch the previous ones. Is this the norm with Disney?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I've found the watch from the start of an episode awkward in Disney+ but you need to search the show and not follow the main highlighted show then go to the episode list and hit play from start. It's a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Have to say, I'm stunned by the reaction to this. I binged eps 2-6 after watching the first one when it debuted (only because I heard there was an AoS link in it).

I watched 5 episodes this week and came on here expecting universal acclaim. Not only was this an excellent TV show, I personally thought this was one of the strongest entries to come out of the MCU.

It was so good, I was actually okay going into the final with the expectation that I was going to get Ralph Bonnered and give us a variant Loki as the big bad, but the way they went all in with "He Who Remains", and the multiverse stuff was just the icing on the cake.

Hats off to the writers as well, they did an extraordinary job of taking the complex Richards origin story breaking it down into something that was very digestible.

Post edited by kerplun k on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I definitely think Loki's popularity and Hiddleston's performance caused his transition from villain to antihero within the MCU. In Thor, he pretty much killed his brother with that robot thing he was controlling and Thor only survived because he got his powers back. That's so far removed from the Loki we see in this show and that's without the scepter.

I still loved the show though. Looking forward to season 2

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

As a hole, I thought that was an excellent show. The best MCU shoe despite the few faults I have with it.

Not a comic MCU fan or anything so I'm the villains means nothing too me although I liked him.

Apart from falcon which was a misfire I think MCU TV has been really watchable - Not unlike the films..... no shame in being entertained by something despite its flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Thought his performance was a bit OTT.

Decent enough in the end. I enjoyed it more as it went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I felt the same, it was not serious enough a portrayal. Very hammy.

Loki said that he was frightening, I didnt think that was conveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

I don't get the ending at all if I am honest. If he who remains is the last of himself, I assume he already killed all the other versions of himself, otherwise he still be fighting himself. So how does killing him create a new version of himself that is more evil as that version is already killed by him.

so this was the plot of Counterpart

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He is constantly pruning and managing the time line for that to be the case.

He is now dead, and the time line will do whatever, whereever. So no one is stopping more Kang's from rising up in their timelines.

• Advertisement

I liked that ending; very low key (not a pun) and my personal theory didn't pan out - that it was a Loki controlling the TVA in the citadel. The ending though was just the right kind of finale twist that immediately grabbed me for season 2, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this love struck, self-aware Loki tackles this new, different and worse(?) universe. And the big trailing question mark is the judge: what info was she given that necessitated her new mission? Is it some kind of fallback in case the two Lokis refused the call?

Overall I enjoyed the series. Sure, anyone looking for pure Loki tricks and devilment might have been disappointed but I'm also glad they managed to pivot towards the conflicted anti hero we got to know after the Avengers.

Advertisement