Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loki - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

They could surely have fitted in a bit of mischievousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,408 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Showrunner Kate Herron who directed all the episodes has stepped down and won't return for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looking at her filmography she didn't have too much big stuff, and then suddenly she's got this and now leaving.

If it was Disney getting a lesser known director, then you'd assume they'd try to tie them into a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She isnt the showrunner, she is the director and executive producer.

Michael Waldron is the head writer.

I dont think she will be missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps; it's arguable this show exists purely to set the ground for the multiverse as a backbone of Phase 4 cinematic MCU, and so the actual characterisation was lacking. But what was given I liked; there was a point with the MCU where Loki's inevitable betrayal got old - lampshaded in Ragnarok where Loki had finally learned to front up his emotions.

• Advertisement

There comes a point where the change is so much a character morphs and becomes another character. We can see changes in a character in an episode, but they usually change back before the end of the episode/series to protect the characters IP as it were. It's Loki, Pixelburp, but not as we know him. To mix my TV shows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Loved this show, I thought the visual style was brilliant, tuned in every Wednesday for it. Can't wait for Season 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought this was great. Like the other Marvel shows, I liked that it was relatively short and self-contained and that all episodes were directed by the same person. MCU seems to be better suited to this 6 part tv format than film. The movies have been slowly morphing into big budget tv episodes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pretty happy with it in the end. Thought it was an awful lot better and more coherent than the previous two shows. There was perhaps a bit of a sense that the finale was anticlimactic but that was until it was revealed that there would be a 2nd season.

Be interesting to see how season 2 fits in. Is it going to be in the standard season format where we can expect it next summer, or is it going to have to slot into the current roadmap, somewhere in 2023 and beyond?

I would assume it's the former, but given that it's seemingly establishing the next phase of films and the bad guy who'll be spanning it, it's hard to predict what its scope is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

As someone who liked Wandavision but thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was utter crap, I found this a very decent watch with a solid ending that leaves you hungry for more Marvel content that builds on it. Which, of course, is the point, but mission accomplished in a very satisfying way.

After Falcon and Winter Soldier, I couldn't care less if both characters flew into the sun.

Loki though - great visual style, good characters, good performances, some great CGI but it's never too heavily reliant on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

I thought Owen Wilson was excellent in it but over all it was ok ,like Homelander said Falcon and Winter Soldier was utter crap and i enjoyed Wandavision.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,408 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

This show was a strange one for me - I liked it all especially that it introduced Kang except that it had Loki as the hero.

He had a great arc in the movies and I thought the idea of resetting him to a villain would be fun but this just made him a good guy again in the first hour without the journey the had in the films.

Because I was a bit meh on it and had been told I needed to finish it before seeing What If… and No Way Home I binged it and as is way if I binge I don’t remember details properly. Can someone remind me ? The TVA deals with timelines and try to ensure an alternate timeline doesn’t branch out but is this the same as the multiverse? For example, did the the TVA destroy the Toby MacGuire Earth and in the season finale Loki restored it? I don’t remember any connection to What If… and in No Way Home Dr. Strange knows there is a multiverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

First hour to us, he watched his entire life and how it ended.

Would give someone perspective.

The audience perspective is what matters not the passage of time on screen. It isn’t the same at all.

and why bother rebooting him as a bad guy if they were just going to put him back the to the same way he was before dying.

he is a great villain and at the very least they could have done a show where he is up to mischief if. It outright villainy.

and the events don’t seem to have had an impact on the MCU - most likely Kang will be confined to this series

It was a great series just Loki doesn’t beling there as the hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

most likely Kang will be confined to this series

Kang has been confirmed to appear in Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Just another example to add to the never ending list to never presume what will or will not impact the larger MCU.

As I said I didn’t read the spoiler.

fact remains though that despite the TVA elements of the story being good it is a waste of Loki

he needs to be up to no good, not up to good

I agree to an extent, Loki shouldn't be a hero, once he becomes a hero with no self interest he stops being Loki but I think there was enough of an internal struggle going on in season 1 where it kind of worked. My biggest issue was the live interest which I just don't think worked. There was very little chemistry between the actors.

I also have questions about the scale and reach of the TVA, were they just controlling the timeline on Earth? We didn't see any alien members. I don't think it was explained very well, I reckon once Loki destroyed them our universe could start branchinh out again and those branches would start from the very beginning of existence allowing the Maguire and Garfield universes to exist.

• Advertisement

I know you didn't read the spoiler, my point was we should all by now know not to question what will or won't be key to future shows/movies - especially not to let it impact your viewing or assessment of a show. Who would have seen Ant Man & the Wasp being such a key driver of how they ended the Infinity Saga?

I also disagree on Loki, he is at his best when we do not know where he stands, what his motives are, and we see his internal conflict - I find him a pretty boring and bland character when he is just 'up to no good'.

They visibly showed all the branches veering off all along the timeline so I think it is safe to presume the start would be the beginning of existence. That also ties into how the TVA had to continuously jump to different times to trim them, it wasn't dealing with what was happening 'now'.

Yeh but I still have questions about their reach, like did the TVA have authority over Arishem? There are also pretty big holes like if Sylvie was a deviation why wasn't her branch clipped at birth instead of well into her childhood. Tbh I think Marvel have rushed into the TV shows both in terms of they they affect the MCU as a whole but also in terms of the writing.

We do know where he stands in this show.

it was obvious from the start that the TVA were not the good guys they thought they were - they destroying lives.

Sure Loki was scheming to take over (very half heartedly) but did anyone doubt he would not do the right thing?

That doesn't seem to have much to do with my point that I disagree with your opinion that he needs to be 'up to no good'. I don't think the show nailed him as his high points in the MCU, like Ragnarok, but it was far better than when he was a pure bad guy.

It has everything with the point.

You said you think Loki is at his best when we don’t know where he stands.

In my post I pointed how we know exactly where he stands at all points in the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing about the show is, we had more than one Loki anyway; while "our" one might have become more the ostensible hero, all the variants covered the character's relative shifting allegiances and moralities. Sylvie remaining the antagonist throughout, alongside the romantic interest (which remains the MCU's most brilliantly subversive move).

True we see many Loki’s but even when played by Hiddleston the variants are all supporting characters. “Our” Loki is the Loki I want Tonder being bad.

Loki being in love with himself is indeed brilliant .

I need a reminder? Sylvie hates being called Loki - why is that? And why did she pick the name Sylvie?

Post edited by Useless Lump on

Your post claimed that he is best when he is 'up to no good', which is what I responded to. The fact you've now moved the goal posts and want to discuss whether they hit my preference of a grey character doesn't change the fact that it has nothing to do with your OP or my response.

I've already agreed they didn't hit the grey character as well they have in the past but it is tough to near impossible do when they have an obvious big bad. It is like saying there isn't a sense of danger in most Marvel shows/movies because we know the title character is very unlikely to die. I much prefer the TVA story arch, knowing Loki will likely do the right thing, than a less impactful story where we got a more grey Loki.

• Advertisement

I haven’t moved any “goal posts” because there isn’t any goal posts.

Loki is best when he is up to no good. You added your opinion of what I posted along with the comment that you think Loki is best when the audience doesn’t know where he stands - meaning in this series. I simply responded that from the very start of it it is plainly obvious where Loki stands and every step of the way.

It is related to my original post and to your response - because it is about whether Loki is good or bad.

I have no idea why you think it is a different topic.

And as I type I’m wondering what you mean about “moving goal posts”. Isn’t that something a person does in an argument or competition? This is neither.

Advertisement