Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,231 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

michellie wrote: »
    So what do you think should happen? Allow staff to work with dangerous equipment while they replace them? Lucky it was spotted before someone was injured or killed under one. And god forbid someone's car was destroyed because there would be another thread abusing the NCT

Just to do 1 test, either that the lift part of the test is exempt for this round of testing or that the car is exempt from NCT until full testing resumes, having to attend twice should result in compensation for time wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Just got a text that my retest appointment for this evening cancelled! God knows when they'll be back testing.
    So if I get stopped next week with out of date NCT could I get points!?

Exactly my question and this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

What should I do after Feb 10th after my current NCT expires? Should I keep the "fail" NCT cert from today in the car and explain everything if I am stopped with the out-of-date disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

zepman wrote: »
    I can confirm that. Sitting outside the NCT centre at the moment. My car just finished the test and passed everything, but the lift inspection wasn't done. So I have to return at a later date for that.

No idea if I'll be contacted or if I have to keep checking their website and make a booking myself.

Did you get a cert,or anything from them to keep 50 off your back

So what do you think should happen? Allow staff to work with dangerous equipment while they replace them? Lucky it was spotted before someone was injured or killed under one. And god forbid someone's car was destroyed because there would be another thread abusing the NCT

They should postpone the tests until the issue is sorted. But God forbid they would interrupt the flow of nct fees coming in.

They must think people have nothing better to do than bring their cars for repeat visits to the nct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I suppose it's only a €700million contract, the terms and conditions are probably wrote on the back of a pack of smokes.

€700k, €700 mil or the $18 billion, it doesn't matter the value, if a risk is identified with a piece of kit, then they need to do their due diligence on the inspection process to ensure everyone's safety. BTW that last figure is how much Boeing's recent issue is costing them, of course they could have saved the second plane from crashing and all the lives that were lost, but someone over there decided to gamble and lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote: »
    They've had these lifts for years and a million cars have been up them. Without incident. Could they not have investigated a bit further before shutting them all down?

Only needs to collapse on one unlucky ****er.

M

Will the government force insurers to cover cars which can't now obtain an NCT? Will I have to park the car up now for months?

From my policy...
    You must take all reasonable steps to prevent accident, injury, loss or damage. While unattended, the car must not be left unlocked, or the keys to the ignition left with or in the car or windows or sunroof left open. You must ensure the car is kept in a roadworthy condition, which includes ensuring that the tread depth on your car tyres are within the legal limits and if required that your car has a current and valid National Car Test (NCT) certificate. You must ensure the car is properly compliant with all Road Traffic legislation at all times.

Did you get a cert,or anything from them to keep 50 off your back

I did get a receipt and even a report. Passed everything but still a "FAIL" because of the lift inspection not being done.

NCT-cert-no-lift-inspection.jpg

M

So you will now be driving aroung in a car with failed NCT despite the fact the test which it failed on was never completed, how is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

zepman wrote: »
    I did get a receipt and even a report. Passed everything but still a "FAIL" because of the lift inspection not being done.

Thats a bit Irish alright. Wouldnt be surprised if that procedure changes before the end of the week and they are prohibited from issuing Fails like that. What should be issued is a 'Test in Progress' page or something that counts as an extension to the pretest status until the final bit is done whenever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,833 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Only needs to collapse on one unlucky ****er.

What's the chance of hurt because of a lift failing vs the chance of hurt because of the unsafe cars that will now still drive around because the NCT hasn't taken them off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not have bays built in, walk under, no risk as vehicle doesn't have to be lifted....

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

This seems all very unfair on the poor punter. If NCT equipment cant be used, cars should auto pass the elements which cant be checked.

I would be raging if I had to take another half day off work to get my car checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

What a load of crap. Up north, aren't they issuing exemption certificates until the lift problem is resolved?

From information above, here it looks like you won't be able to legitimately pass an NCT and have a valid disc until NCTS fix/replace the lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What will happen with those that will be out of date.

Will the law still apply as there is only black and white.... Law states no vehicle can be driven on a public road or place without a valid test.

The fine and points are high too.

They need to clarify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Why not have bays built in, walk under, no risk as vehicle doesn't have to be lifted....

These particular lifts allow the weight of the car to be taken off the wheels for some parts of the inspection and can also be used to flex the suspension and steering. It's more than a static visual testing tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

delly wrote: »
    What an absolute Karen of a reaction. The news is less than 4 hours old, but we live in a joke of a country, the reaction is a tad dramatic and hysterical. I'm sure somebody somewhere is working on a plan, but an immediate action is needed for health and safety purposes. It may suck, but it happens.

IMO it doesn't just happen. This could and should have been prevented by proper safety checks and non-destructive testing.

It's no surprise to see fatigue cracks on a piece of equipment that lifts and then shakes hundreds of cars each week. Ironically, the very thing they're checking the cars for.

The company practically have a licence to print money, they still don't spend the cash to do proper checks, and the public suffer again.

The fact that a tester could be killed by lift collapsing in no way excuses the closure and disruption to thousands of motorists.

The suspension testing is done on the lift, right?

Given that we're legally required to have valid NCT certs, I would absolutely love to see verified data which proves that a cracked lift could not cause a bad car to pass or good car to fail the suspension testing.

That will never be asked for of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They need to walk around the car too. If it was a pit, testers would fall into it.

What will happen with those that will be out of date.

Will the law still apply as there is only black and white.... Law states no vehicle can be driven on a public road or place without a valid test.

The fine and points are high too.

They need to clarify this.

Thought I had found the answer here, but it's far from it. :(
    What will happen if people are stopped by the Gardai and they don’t have a valid NCT displayed because of this issue?

The RSA have made the Gardaí aware of the issue and is liaising with them on any potential issues arising. All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times not just at the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Part of the suspension test is on the twin rollers and pads for bouncy bouncy shock tests,ramp will check balljoint and bushing wear and see state of corroded brake lines and other stuff.
    Working in a garage we get an annual test on ramps,compressor and jacks.We had a fail on one ramp due to cabling splinters which required new cable and was done yesterday.
    How many places dont get vetted and have had accident,i heard yesterday 3 lads under a car checking something and they walked away to get something when car dropped to the ground as secondary fail safe wore out.

Pits are bad and dangerous as a few people got trapped when car went on fire but cannot test other things as mentioned before.
    From the amount of testing these ramps of up and down shaking and other things do it was only a matter of time when this happened.

You could pretend your going to the hospital and end up on a trolley for days!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    What's the chance of hurt because of a lift failing vs the chance of hurt because of the unsafe cars that will now still drive around because the NCT hasn't taken them off the road?

Would you be willing to be the mechanic to risk your life on the odds?

They have a duty to their employees. Imagine if they are told of potential issues, then just go "ah it'll be grand, we'll get to it " and then someone is killed.

On the dangerous cars bit, god forbid people have to make sure their own cars arent dangerously defective for and extra couple of weeks longer than the 1 or 2 years between NCT's
    The fact that a tester could be killed by lift collapsing in no way excuses the closure and disruption to thousands of motorists.

Would you keep working with a piece of equipment in your job if they told you it has the potential to fail and kill you but sure keep working away till they get it tested?

alentejo wrote: »
    I would be raging if I had to take another half day off work to get my car checked.

The NCT is open 7 days a week early till late.

All the hysterical reactions are bloody hilarious. Lets be perfectly honest here, the same will apply to this as does everything else here. You get stopped, the Gard asks whats the story, you tell them it was due to be tested till this came up, worst case, show them the booking, they tell you to go on and get it sorted as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

On the dangerous cars bit, god forbid people have to make sure their own cars arent dangerously defective for and extra couple of weeks longer than the 1 or 2 years between NCT's

I've a car booked in for next week. Official NCT expiry is end of March. It's been checked over by my local garage in preparation. Despite all of this, chances are it'll have to be driven without a valid NCT if an exemption isn't made soon, as I can't see this being fully resolved and backlog cleared in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Lads it happened at half 4 this evening.

People need to chill out, im sure there will be proper procedures put in place tomorrow or during the week.

M

People need to chill out, im sure there will be proper procedures put in place tomorrow or during the week.

I'm sure Shane Ross will come up with a great solution :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Excuse me boss any scrap metal you want taking away:eek::D:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Because they check wheel movement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Proper procedure will not include compensating people for there time or their two extra trips to the centre and the costs involved, you can be sure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Two cars due testing in next couple of months. Looking like minimum of four trips now to the centre to get them done.
    Not really bothered about the legal aspect of it as I'd expect the RSA, Gardai and testers figure out how to approach it.

• Advertisement
    M

Why can they just not follow the exemption that was given in NIRL for the very same issue, another state of the EU can do it, why can't we?

Advertisement