Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians who aren't Irish but are still unfunny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is Russell Howard still going? I remember him being the worst thing on Mock the Week, worse than the bald Andy guy or Dara O'Briain's scripted quips

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

retalivity wrote: »
    Is Russell Howard still going? I remember him being the worst thing on Mock the Week, worse than the bald Andy guy or Dara O'Briain's scripted quips

Russell Howard got his own show. I never found him funny

I liked Andy Parsons. I always found Dara tried too hard to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Urgh, I feel awful for saying it, but Rosie Jones. Like, fair dues, she's getting opportunities and that's not easy... but at the same time I just don't think the execution or talent is actually there.

Waiting for a comedian to catch up with their own punchline is awkward, no matter who it is, and I realise she can't help it with her disability. TV comedy needs timing and a killer delivery. She might be better in online videos or in live shows perhaps.
    I find myself switching over if I see her on TV:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much my feelings too.
    Was a fan of Frankie before.
    The majority of these panelists these days aren't even interesting people let alone funny comedians.
    Kevin Bridges would probably be my favourite of British comedians but haven't heard much of him lately.
    Never thought Bob Mortimer was funny but think his tales on would I lie to you brilliant.
    Likewise Ricky Gervais, don't find him funny but the programs Life and Extras, I thought were excellent.

Probably Bill Burr would be my favourite globally

He's a very odd one. He's maybe the most annoying prick there has been for the last 1o years or so but anything scripted like that he's done is actully good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

He literally cried his arse off over the black face on bo selecta whilst he should have just ignored

That was so weird, ill never be able to watch him again without thinking about that reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Richard Ayoade.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

That whole joe rogan posse are fairly unfunny with their stand up

His Rocky Mountain High special is very good. The rest; not so much. He does have a good eye for what's funny though and goes out of his way to give up-and-comers a platform. You'll notice he doesn't promote the likes of Callan, Schaub, Kreischer and even Segura as heavyweight comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Too many comedians nowadays are just pseudo “actors” in that they do the panel show circuit and recite scripted lines with the odd bit of ad-lib thrown in now and then.
    Same ol faces time and time again.

I find James Acaster's habit of giving a knowing look to the camera every time he delivers a line deeply irritating.

I saw him live and he’s very good but I know exactly what you’re talking about. The blonde guy from The Last Leg used to have a habit of staring at the ceiling during his sets, doesn’t seem to do it as much on tv appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

James Corden

Every day Corden.

Still is today. A terrible excuse for a human.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    I don't quite get the hate for Michael McIntyre. He's not my cup of tea, could never imagine paying to see him, but that's a different question. On one of his videos there is a bit about how he required emergency surgery after a botched dental procedure that had me going "whoa". Finding comedy in that kind of thing takes some serious comic chops.

McIntyre is nowhere near 1% as funny as he finds himself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NSAman wrote: »
    Anything on SNL..painfully unfunny
    It seems to be extremely local to American culture. Hugely popular there but elsewhere it dies on its arse. Kinda like KISS the band. It's embarrasingly amateur at times and paints in the widest strokes possible and rarely is a titter heard, never mind a laugh. Now Saturday Night Live has helped some very good comedians and comic writers get off the starting blocks and fair enough and it's not as if American hasn't produced giants of comedy in TV, stage and screen, but how in god's name is SNL so bloody awful?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wibbs wrote: »
    It seems to be extremely local to American culture. Hugely popular there but elsewhere it dies on its arse. Kinda like KISS the band. It's embarrasingly amateur at times and paints in the widest strokes possible and rarely is a titter heard, never mind a laugh. Now Saturday Night Live has helped some very good comedians and comic writers get off the starting blocks and fair enough and it's not as if American hasn't produced giants of comedy in TV, stage and screen, but how in god's name is SNL so bloody awful?

I think there has been some genuinely good sketches but its built up as this American great comedy show when 99% of it is pure drivel. Still American talk shows will cite it as genius.

Because of the giants of comedy that have started out on SNL over the years, I've gone back and looked at old episodes on YouTube, hoping that the current version has just become terrible. No, it was just as bad in its heyday.

The Saoirse Ronan episode was terrible. The Aer Lingus sketch especially left me scratching my head. Along with the terrible jokes, there were moment where I was wondering if there was a joke, or if it was some unscripted improve where the cast were searching for an opportunity to move in the direction of humour.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I think there has been some genuinely good sketches but its built up as this American great comedy show when 99% of it is pure drivel. Still American talk shows will cite it as genius.

From reading a few articles (possibly on rolling stone), it seems the funniest bits are backstage arguements between Chevy Chase and Bill Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Adam driver is top class on SNL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

cj maxx wrote: »
    The only sketch I can remember that was in anyway close to funny was Melissa McCarthy taking off Donald Trump's first press secretary, Sean O'Something.
    That was very good.
    But that's it - SNL is utterly woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its in the nature of SNL that they have hits and misses.

They have a fantastic new talent in Chloe Fineman who is stealing scenes left and right.

About a year back they did a spoof of The Joker, replacing him with The Grouch from Sesame Street and it was genius funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Sophie Hagen, the epitome of the activist comedian. Reached her nadir when she attacked cancer research for correctly advising the public that obesity is a factor in cancer. Tries to normalise obesity and it's no surprise that shes a very big unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Michael McIntyre. Cant really say that I'm surprised by his popularity when Mrs Browns Boys goes down a storm in the UK. I know it's subjective but it's got to be in the main the same type of demographic that likes this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its in the nature of SNL that they have hits and misses.

They have a fantastic new talent in Chloe Fineman who is stealing scenes left and right.

About a year back they did a spoof of The Joker, replacing him with The Grouch from Sesame Street and it was genius funny.
    She is the one who does Britney Spears? She is really talented, they don't always make the best use of the talent they have imo, Melissa Villasenor for example.
    My favourite in the current cast is Cecily Strong, naturally really funny.

Thats her.

Look up her take on the Oscars last year, hilarious.

Sophie Hagen, the epitome of the activist comedian. Reached her nadir when she attacked cancer research for correctly advising the public that obesity is a factor in cancer. Tries to normalise obesity and it's no surprise that shes a very big unit.

I had to look her up. I doubt more than a few hundred people in the World know who she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Michael McIntyre. Cant really say that I'm surprised by his popularity when Mrs Browns Boys goes down a storm in the UK. I know it's subjective but it's got to be in the main the same type of demographic that likes this stuff.

I quite like Michael McIntyre, it's really vanilla comedy but I think if his delivery doesn't grate on you then he pulls it off really well. There's nothing edgy or groundbreaking there at all but if I'm flicking around the TV and one of his shows is on I'll leave it running.

Mrs Brown's Boys, by comparison, is the least funny thing I've ever seen and can get right in the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I had to look her up. I doubt more than a few hundred people in the World know who she is.

Wish that were true but she has over 70000 twitter followers and she had a pretty successful book out last year (with an extremly irritating pic of her on the cover).

McGaggs wrote: »
    Because of the giants of comedy that have started out on SNL over the years, I've gone back and looked at old episodes on YouTube, hoping that the current version has just become terrible. No, it was just as bad in its heyday.

The Saoirse Ronan episode was terrible. The Aer Lingus sketch especially left me scratching my head. Along with the terrible jokes, there were moment where I was wondering if there was a joke, or if it was some unscripted improve where the cast were searching for an opportunity to move in the direction of humour.

There's nothing worse than seeing one of them "break" mid scene, especially when the scene itself isn't at all funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I googled her and the first thing that came up is she is a "fat acceptance campaigner "
    Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Adam driver is a sign of quality in movies , he was great on snl.

It's a very 20th Century institution that isn't really relevant or at the cutting edge of popular culture anymore. Meme culture and social media is way more funny than anything you'll see on SNL, which just seems slow, dull and "safe", none of which are good things for trying to get a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Tom Allen. Completely unfunny. You're gay, we get it...

Advertisement