Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians who aren't Irish but are still unfunny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I find the vast majority of comedians unfunny.

Watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown is painful sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Sarah Millican.

Posts you can hear..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

My list of non-funny, non- Irish, comedians:

Nish Kumar
    Romesh Ranganathan
    Josh Widdecome
    Johnny Vegas
    Sarah Millican
    Hugh Dennis
    Paul Merton
    Ross Noble
    Greg Davies
    Rob Beckett
    Michael McIntyre
    Miranda Hart
    Dawn French
    Jennifer Saunders
    Paul Chowdrey
    Joe Lycett
    Alan Carr
    Nick Helm
    Tim Key

Probably more fun to list the ones I do find funny:
    Gary Delaney
    David Mitchell
    Sara Pascoe
    Lee Mack (although I don't like his sitcom)
    Steve Coogan
    Rose Matafeo
    Sean Lock
    Jon Richardson (only his sitcom though - which, now that I think about it was written by his wife..so...)
    Lucy Beaumont
    Rob Delaney

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

James. ****ing. Corden. #nuffsaid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

James. ****ing. Corden. #nuffsaid

Is he a comedian?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

KaneToad wrote: »

Nish Kumar
    Romesh Ranganathan
    Josh Widdecome
    Johnny Vegas
    Sarah Millican
    Hugh Dennis
    Paul Merton
    Ross Noble
    Greg Davies
    Rob Beckett
    Michael McIntyre
    Miranda Hart
    Dawn French
    Jennifer Saunders
    Paul Chowdrey
    Joe Lycett
    Alan Carr
    Nick Helm
    Tim Key

Gary Delaney
    David Mitchell
    Sara Pascoe
    Steve Coogan
    Rose Matafeo
    Sean Lock
    Jon Richardson (only his sitcom though - which, now that I think about it was written by his wife..so...)
    Lucy Beaumont
    Rob Delaney

Tim key is awesome as alan partridges side kick Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hugh Dennis
    His Jimmy Savile impressions were gold on Mock the Week. Don't think he does them any more though...

I seem to remember Punt and Dennis being funny. But I was a young lad then, so may not be reliable.

KungPao wrote: »
    His Jimmy Savile impressions were gold on Mock the Week. Don't think he does them any more though...

I seem to remember Punt and Dennis being funny. But I was a young lad then, so may not be reliable.

Mary whitehouse experience:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mary whitehouse experience:)

Along with David Baddiel and Rob Newman. History Today was especially brilliant. That's you, that is. :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Along with David Baddiel and Rob Newman. History Today was especially brilliant. That's you, that is. :D

Dennis’s dad character “what’s that ? It’s got a good beat “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I cannot believe Tom O'Connor is still alive. My auld fella had a soft spot for him cos he knew him a bit from his Merseyside club days, but he was always shyte. Only 81 too, I thought he'd be about 95.

I remember crosswits from the early 90s, loved that show, and (to 10 year old me) he was an old man then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Greg Davies..... had a good role in the 'inbeweeners' but brutal since that..... does a thing called ' taskmaster' .... its brutal
    Man Down is a pretty funny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Nish Kumar
    Romesh Ranganathan
    Josh Widdecome
    Johnny Vegas
    Sarah Millican
    Hugh Dennis
    Paul Merton
    Ross Noble
    Greg Davies
    Rob Beckett
    Michael McIntyre
    Miranda Hart
    Dawn French
    Jennifer Saunders
    Paul Chowdrey
    Joe Lycett
    Alan Carr
    Nick Helm
    Tim Key

Gary Delaney
    David Mitchell
    Sara Pascoe
    Steve Coogan
    Rose Matafeo
    Sean Lock
    Lucy Beaumont
    Rob Delaney

Great post and you had the conviction to name those you don’t like and more importantly those you like.
    It’s very easy to be “ cool “ and just jump into the echo chamber of hating lots of the obvious candidates but takes a bit of courage to say who you like.
    Perhaps there’s room for a new thread under the banner of
    “ I dislike xxxxxx but I like xxxxxx”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Is the title of this thread implying that all Irish comedians are unfunny?

On the topic of unfunny comedians, any of the fat English ones with shaved heads send me into convulsions just to look at, but i don't know their names because i never get past the first glimpse of their face.

If the remote's not to hand i will stick my fingers in my ears and look away while finding it so that i never ever hear them. God i hate them so much, whoever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I find James Acaster's habit of giving a knowing look to the camera every time he delivers a line deeply irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rufus Hound. Claimed that the Manchester bombing was a false flag and no he wasnt joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Comedian's who have a far too limited set of jokes. Sarah Milican, every joke is about being fat or divorced. Also I find a lot of comedian's of different ethnic groups seem to only focus on that in their material, ditto a lot of gay comedian's do the same. Of course some jokes about those topics are good but a really good comedian needs to have a wide range of material.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

What has happened to Frankie Boyle recently? He used to have these wonderfully funny quips on this Twitter. Now, he has gone incommunicado. The last that I heard of him was when he was berating several of his comedian colleagues

Comedian's who have a far too limited set of jokes. Sarah Milican, every joke is about being fat or divorced. Also I find a lot of comedian's of different ethnic groups seem to only focus on that in their material, ditto a lot of gay comedian's do the same. Of course some jokes about those topics are good but a really good comedian needs to have a wide range of material.

100% agree......very limited / targeted range with some comedians....you know from the off where they'll be going. One of the chasers from tv, Paul sinnaman, does stand up & hes got talent, he IS a funny guy but the " asian / Gay/ coming out to family" seems to be his only material

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not having French and Saunders.

Been watching bits of their old shows on Gold or whatever channel, some of the sketches are very clever. The spoof of The Exorcist was hilarious.

• Advertisement

Greg Davies..... had a good role in the 'inbeweeners' but brutal since that..... does a thing called ' taskmaster' .... its brutal

I dutifully scrolled through all the wrong answers, until finally seeing the only correct answer. Subjectivity is not allowed in this instance.

Full transparency, he could be hilarious as for a good while now I can't bear to watch him longer than it takes to change the channel.

The expression painful to watch does not do justification for my dislike for this unfunny individual. The only cue I have that he's said something funny is when he arches his eyebrow and looks at the camera to let you know.

I could not be friends with someone who likes him, I've disowned family for less.

For balance, I love Lee Mack. I really hope he is that witty in real life. If it is scripted leave me to my ignorance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Sean Lock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

Joel Dommett has never made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BettyS wrote: »
    What has happened to Frankie Boyle recently? He used to have these wonderfully funny quips on this Twitter. Now, he has gone incommunicado. The last that I heard of him was when he was berating several of his comedian colleagues

Used to excoriate the British Telly stations and now is a fixture on them shilling all the usual approved opinions. I often wondered if fellas like Frankie who fancied themselves as mavericks even realise that they are now the establishment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Stephen K Amos

Arthur Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

BettyS wrote: »

Deeply odd individual. His brand was shock comedy and saying absolutely anything, but in reality he is a type of BBC woke luvie who will lash out if he's ever questioned about it.

On the topic of the thread, most of the English millennial age group comedians who do the rounds on the panel shows are unfunny. They are of course strangled by the media culture of the channels they appear on, maybe they are hilarious at their own shows...... But I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Deeply odd individual. His brand was shock comedy and saying absolutely anything, but in reality he is a type of BBC woke luvie who will lash out if he's ever questioned about it.

On the topic of the thread, most of the English millennial age group comedians who do the rounds on the panel shows are unfunny. They are of course strangled by the media culture of the channels they appear on, maybe they are hilarious at their own shows...... But I highly doubt it.

Yeah pretty much my feelings too.
    Was a fan of Frankie before.
    The majority of these panelists these days aren't even interesting people let alone funny comedians.
    Kevin Bridges would probably be my favourite of British comedians but haven't heard much of him lately.
    Never thought Bob Mortimer was funny but think his tales on would I lie to you brilliant.
    Likewise Ricky Gervais, don't find him funny but the programs Life and Extras, I thought were excellent.

Probably Bill Burr would be my favourite globally

For balance, I love Lee Mack. I really hope he is that witty in real life. If it is scripted leave me to my ignorance. :)

If it was scripted then they would all be as funny on did I lie to you. Or at least get good lines.

Greg Davies is alright. Good host.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't quite get the hate for Michael McIntyre. He's not my cup of tea, could never imagine paying to see him, but that's a different question. On one of his videos there is a bit about how he required emergency surgery after a botched dental procedure that had me going "whoa". Finding comedy in that kind of thing takes some serious comic chops.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I remember having to switch off “ The Last days of Sodom”. Some of his lines about Jade Goody, and her battle with cervical cancer were sickening. Ditto his comments about Harvey Price. I find it shocking when he took the moral high ground with Ricky Gervais.

Sure, he may not be a racist or transphobic, but how does this negate mocking disabled kids??? Please explain!!!

Advertisement