Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians who aren't Irish but are still unfunny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Lost respect for Jimmy Fallon if this is anything to go by!
    https://www.distractify.com/p/jimmy-fallon-is-over-party

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

He did an impersonation of a fellow comedian 20 years ago and you've lost respect for him? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jim Davidson, I think he introduced Hale & Pace on his totally unfunny hour long 8 o clock show in the late 70's. Jimmy Tarbuck used to make an odd appearance as well.

Hale and pace weren’t bad at their peak

Same with Tarby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

He’s apologised very sincerely for it. I’d be inclined to accept it. Jesus I did things 10 years ago I’m not proud of and wouldn’t like to be judged on today https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-06-02/jimmy-fallon-blackface-tonight-show-apology-youtube%3f_amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

From the article: "using blackface has been looked down upon for hundreds of years, as it's incredibly offensive."

No, it hasn't. Blackface was commonplace up until the 70s. You'd regularly see European actors playing Black or Asian characters and no one batted an eyelid.

• Advertisement

From the article: "using blackface has been looked down upon for hundreds of years, as it's incredibly offensive."

No, it hasn't. Blackface was commonplace up until the 70s. You'd regularly see European actors playing Black or Asian characters and no one batted an eyelid.

I suppose the great Peter Sellers playing Fu Manchu is also racist. I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dan Ackroyd in Trading Places, 1985

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRf_uSE2N9bqXyrXBSxrL8vjyoSaApfymA4jvPo_X55fAWqkInb&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When I was a kid in the 70s early Saturday evening viewing often featured the Black and White Minstrel Show. Now even at a young age I knew it was complete and utter sh*te from a bygone era that had outstayed its welcome, but that was really more down to the type of music on it. It never crossed anybody's mind how just wrong the blackface was. And that show ran on the BBC for about 20 years. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Dan Ackroyd in Trading Places, 1985

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRf_uSE2N9bqXyrXBSxrL8vjyoSaApfymA4jvPo_X55fAWqkInb&usqp=CAU

Yer man in ‘Short Circuit’ too.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Not a lot of people know this, but Lenny Henry is actually white and has been blacking-up for years.

_103199084_0ac00842-2b3e-4767-be5b-fbfd635cd22b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose the great Peter Sellers playing Fu Manchu is also racist. I give up.
    Yes it's racist.

But not when Christopher Lee did it. Because he's immeasurably greater than Sellers.

Art Malik was a great baddie in True Lies and Ghassan Massoud was perfect as Saladin in Kingdom of Heaven and if you like that film then you should check out Arn – The Knight Templar because it's a Swedish film about the history of Norway in the middle ages even though it's not as good as The Seventh Seal which is one of the best movies about chess ever made, but I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Yer man in ‘Short Circuit’ too.

Would this be considered reverse racism ;) ?

eddiemurphy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

Lee Evans, honest to god, what is the point of lee evans......

I went to see Lee Evans in the Black Box in Galway years ago. Like you I taught he was painfully unfunny. Only went cause the tickets were cheap as it was a pre tour show. Well I never in my life laughed as much at his show, he is absolutely amazing life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It may have been commonplace but that doesn't mean it wasn't offensive - to black people.
    I recently read that Fredrick Douglass, objected to it on the stage in Limerick when on his UK and IRL tour - in 1845!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hate to say it but I find Stewart Lee pretty painful.

I hate to say it because I can appreciate that there's wit in his act - he's obviously a very clever man - and his whole thing of subverting the regular tropes of comedy is on paper a pretty interesting idea. But I find his shtick so self-indulgent and the people in the audience just absolutely piss themselves laughing - at jokes that are purposely designed to not be funny. They can't genuinely find it that hilarious. He just bores me.

I'm not against anti-comedy generally. I love Neil Hamburger, but even when he's being "boring" there's something fascinating about his act.

I hate the likes of Daniel Tosh and Anthony Jesselniak. It just feels like witless edge-lord humour: just being shocking for the sake of it, but with no real heart or actual purpose behind it. Real smug low hanging fruit shyte. Louis CK used to be pretty similarily outrageous, but there was an intelligence or a humanity to it as well.

eddiemurphy.jpg

This is what always confused me. I lived in NYC for many years and the African American folk that I had any dealings with seemed to really dislike white people and openly showed it. Many times I stood in a queue and watched as their demeanour changed as they served other African Americans and then me or other white folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

eddiemurphy.jpg

I’m not sure, to be honest. There’s not really much a black person, or someone of colour, could say to, or make fun of, me based on my race or background that would hurt, or offend, me.

We, Irish, tend to get prickly if an English person mocks our heritage or calls us “Paddy” but coming from a yank that wouldn’t have the same impact at all.

The one I do wonder about is whether is worse to dress up as, say, Mr. T but don’t do it “blackface”. Is that then “whitewashing” or “appropriating”?

It’s a bit of a minefield so best to stay away from it. And it’s not, exactly, a big deal as the only time it would come up is Halloween and there’s plenty of other “characters” to choose from.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw this woman on TV lately. I didn't laugh once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Sarah Millican.

She's brilliant. Filthy but brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

kowloon wrote: »

She really has stolen a lot of jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Arghus wrote: »
    I hate to say it but I find Stewart Lee pretty painful.

I hate to say it because I can appreciate that there's wit in his act - he's obviously a very clever man - and his whole thing of subverting the regular tropes of comedy is on paper a pretty interesting idea. But I find his shtick so self-indulgent and the people in the audience just absolutely piss themselves laughing - at jokes that are purposely designed to not be funny. They can't genuinely find it that hilarious. He just bores me.

I mostly agree re: Lee. However, he will always have a place in my heart for his brilliant Top Gear takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Dapper Laughs as well. He's no "Laughs"ing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Romesh Ranganathan

About as funny as a sh*tstain on a pillowcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't get the big deal about Mickey Flanagan or John the fella from Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Lee Evans. I can't even watch him.
    Sarah Millican.
    Katherine Ryan.

Stewart Lee would be my fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Archeron wrote: »
    Romesh Ranganathan

About as funny as a sh*tstain on a pillowcase.

I don't know who that is but this made me burst out laughing:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Tom Allen.
    About as funny as a boil on a pile!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smilerf wrote: »

John ( professional scouser ) Bishop ?

horribly unfunny idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

smilerf wrote: »

Mainstream, they appeal to the millions of people that aren’t into comedy but enjoy eating a Chinese in their jammies in a Saturday after X factor

Advertisement