Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

Can anyone advise what topics they are covering for equity and company law? It would be great to dismiss topics as time is running out and so difficult to concentrate without results! Thanks

neon123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experiences dealing with small/medium firms in terms of a TC. I've been out of college a few years with a mortgage so not really in a position to quit my job to get an unpaid internship. I'm hoping to finish my last FE-1s in March and would like to just get on with starting a TC and not have to wait until 2023/24. Is it the case that the smaller firms are more flexible in terms of providing a TC and starting at the next available PPC1?

I haven’t had any success securing a TC yet so I could be wrong but as far as I know smaller firms would hire closer to the start date but would be less likely to pay your blackhall fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

I haven’t had any success securing a TC yet so I could be wrong but as far as I know smaller firms would hire closer to the start date but would be less likely to pay your blackhall fees!

Yeah perhaps that is the case, I have enough saved up to cover my own fees as I don't really want to hang around for the milk-rounds in the Autumn for a chance I might get something in 2024 or later. I'm in my late twenties so just want to get on with things at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KCSLAW

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well. I was wondering which out of all the subjects are the most manageable/predictable? I have Property and Criminal done and have just decided I may as well get another 2 out of the way in March but I've left it a bit late to start studying so I need to be smart with the subjects I choose. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

KCSLAW wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope you're all doing well. I was wondering which out of all the subjects are the most manageable/predictable? I have Property and Criminal done and have just decided I may as well get another 2 out of the way in March but I've left it a bit late to start studying so I need to be smart with the subjects I choose. Thanks

This question seems to be asked here about twice a day...

Probably best to check out the polls on the FE1_Exams Reddit page. You'll be able to tell from that which exams are considered easiest/hardest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

DavidX90 wrote: »
    I am in a similar boat to you. In my late 20s and have a well paid in-house position so I certainly won't be leaving for an internship.

Controversial but the reality is that many of these firms are looking for cheap labour from recent graduates with little to no experience. They will hire those people 9 - 12 months before the traineeship even starts to milk them as much as possible.

This may offend some people here but it is the truth. (Foolishly) many of these firms are unwilling to pay suitable salaries to those with experience and will prefer instead to hire inexperienced graduates for a cheap price.

Either way, it seems that the best time to start searching is as far in advance as possible. I wish I paid more heed to that myself.

I'm in my 30s with an llm just left my life in New York to come back and do the fe1s, I have a wealth of life experience but none in a law firm so I am on a minimum wage internship which has been a shock to the system but I am learning so much and gaining invaluable experience that will look better on a TC application than no experience. If you are starting a new career you will have to face the reality that you need to start at the bottom. I am in a small firm and I am confident that they will offer me a TC when I have my fe1s completed because I have been trained by them and I have spent the past 5 months demonstrating to them how good I am.

KCSLAW wrote: »

Is maybe go with company and eu as they are very predictable papers. Eu is quite large but you can cut a lot. I found it very manageable and then it gets one of the big ones out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    I applied to Michael Staines too! Haven't heard anything back though! Do most firms usually wait until after the closing date to contact applicants or should you expect to hear beforehand

I also applied and have heard nothing back. NO some firms have people interviewed before the closing date for applications has gone by. Its so frustrating at the moment trying to get legal work.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SalteeBiscuits

Yeah perhaps that is the case, I have enough saved up to cover my own fees as I don't really want to hang around for the milk-rounds in the Autumn for a chance I might get something in 2024 or later. I'm in my late twenties so just want to get on with things at this stage!

Just FYI when I interviewed for my TC in the Milkrounds back in 2018 with one of the Big 5 they were looking for some to start in 2021 (like myself) and others to start immediately (for those who had FE-1s etc.) to fill up the incoming set of trainees.

Might have changed now, and I have heard there has been a shift towards hiring more from internships, but it might be worth applying and making it clear in the interview that your want to start sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Just FYI when I interviewed for my TC in the Milkrounds back in 2018 with one of the Big 5 they were looking for some to start in 2021 (like myself) and others to start immediately (for those who had FE-1s etc.) to fill up the incoming set of trainees.

Might have changed now, and I have heard there has been a shift towards hiring more from internships, but it might be worth applying and making it clear in the interview that your want to start sooner rather than later!

Ok good to know! The trend towards internships is getting a bit frustrating though, I get that we have to start at the bottom but it's obviously easier for people who are in/just finished college and living at home to jump to an unpaid job. Not really a viable option for people in full time jobs with financial obligations. At this point I'd be happy to get a TC that pays minimum wage whereby I can at least keep a roof over my head. I'm probably being very naive though and will learn the hard truth once I start looking properly after March.

• Advertisement

Ok good to know! The trend towards internships is getting a bit frustrating though, I get that we have to start at the bottom but it's obviously easier for people who are in/just finished college and living at home to jump to an unpaid job. Not really a viable option for people in full time jobs with financial obligations. At this point I'd be happy to get a TC that pays minimum wage whereby I can at least keep a roof over my head. I'm probably being very naive though and will learn the hard truth once I start looking properly after March.

Just another FYI the internships with the Big 5 are paid internships, but they're only for a couple months, and obviously the pay isn't fantastic but there definitely is some money involved

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Dear Candidate

We had an issue with our website this morning and apologise if you had any difficulty logging on. This issue has now been resolved.

I attach for your information a guide to logging on to our website. Please note that all candidates (including first time candidates) should log on as existing users.

If you have any difficulty logging on please email Webmaster@LawSociety.ie. Please send all other queries (including requests for your ID Number/Username) to fe1section@lawosciety.ie.

We have included in the guide information about adding the Law Society as a trusted website. This step should not be necessary for the majority of candidates but may be required if you are accessing your results from a computer/network with high security settings.

Kind regards

Paula Sheedy

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

That random email from the Law Soc just gave me a heart attack

Internships aren't necessarily free, I beleive there is something on the law society website about that. You won't get more than minimum wage i would say but a training contract in a small firm is going to start off low enough regardless so it might be something that you have to get used to if this is really what you want to do

Bit off topic, but does anyone know do firms pay you during PPC1 and PPC2? And if they do, is it a reduced wage?

Was trying to find a PPC1 Thread to ask this in, but couldn't find one

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Just another FYI the internships with the Big 5 are paid internships, but they're only for a couple months, and obviously the pay isn't fantastic but there definitely is some money involved

Some of them also pay for your accomadation and full pay, which is pretty decent of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Bit off topic, but does anyone know do firms pay you during PPC1 and PPC2? And if they do, is it a reduced wage?

The big 5 pay full salary as far as I know, not sure aboutothers tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Just depends on the firm. Big firms will pay you a full wage and pay your Blackhall fees.
    I'm unsure about small - medium firms though. I think it's definitely minimum wage but perhaps your fees won't be paid? Again, depends on firm.

Don't think there's much public information out there though unfortunately as firms tend to be pretty silent on their pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

My firm-to-be is top 10 and pays full wage throughout both PPC 1 &2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

They are required to pay at least minimum wage.

Lots of info on this here:

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/trainees/mintraineesalaries.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

maggie95 wrote: »
    Don't think there's much public information out there though unfortunately as firms tend to be pretty silent on their pay!

The internship salary at one of the big firms I was with was 2k per month. The monthly salary while doing PPC1&2 is 3500 per month before taxes and they cover PPC fees and pay for your FE1s upon completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Reya10 wrote: »
    They are required to pay at least minimum wage.

Lots of info on this here:

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/trainees/mintraineesalaries.pdf

I know from anecdotal experience of some friends that some small firms don't pay minimum wage at all. They get away with it because there's a massive supply of desperate candidates looking for TC's and are willing to accept anything. This was particularly apparent during the last Financial crash. I'd just be aware to anyone looking for TC's that the firm you're applying to guarantees the minimum salary at the least. It's utterly disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

Is the Bloomsbury Professional Companies Act 2014: 2018 Edition all we need for Company legislation wise?

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    Is the Bloomsbury Professional Companies Act 2014: 2018 Edition all we need for Company legislation wise?

Yep. I found it on Amazon for a good price btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Is anyone planning on training in a regional firm? I have a TC in a firm in a local town and I'm just wondering what to expect salary wise

Any firm offering unpaid traineeships should be reported IMO.

If a firm cannot afford to or are unwilling to pay you minimum wage, that is definitely not a firm you want to get involved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Back on this rant again but emailed the LS twice for candidate ID has anybody had any luck? Can't imagine the panic on the morning not being able to log in

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

I emailed yesterday afternoon/morning and got a reply within a few hours, did you make sure to email the correct email address, and included you full name, current address and date of birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

I emailed yesterday afternoon/morning and got a reply within a few hours, did you make sure to email the correct email address, and included you full name, current address and date of birth?

I emailed fe1section@lawsociety.ie so hoping if I send it again I may get a reply tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

I emailed fe1section@lawsociety.ie so hoping if I send it again I may get a reply tomorrow!

try P.Sheedy@lawsociety.ie that is who responded to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement