Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We're consuming more than ever now. We're destroying habitat more than ever now. There might be a few pissing in the wind initiatives but if we wanted to make a real difference to the Earth we'd need a huge overhaul of how we live our lives. And that isn't happening any time soon, people would sooner go to war than have less money/stuff.

Ok more humans = more resources used = increased environmental degradation.

I think most people acknowledge that tbh.

So I read a post about flying off on recent holidays. Is that not somewhat at odds with the statement above. As with Greta who sailed to America in a millionaire's yacht to do a tantrum at the UN - but her crew and other helpers ended up flying. More contradictions by those who are talking the talk no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I really don't see the point of these threads any more. Some people believe in man made climate change and the science, and from what I can tell the majority of boards people don't believe in it, and are unwilling to make any changes in their life.
    So just a never ending discussion with Pa El Grande posting video after video that no one will ever watch.
    Make a thread specifically about climate change, and keep it alive - and refuse to let the mods roll it into this thread - then the discussion does not turn into a sideshow about Greta.

If mods do roll such a thread into this one - insist that mods then adjust the topic of this thread, to be expressly about climate change.

That's the current problem with this thread - dismissal-of/condescension-towards Greta, has become a football-supporter-tribalism type proxy, for discussing climate change.

The science doesn't matter, so long as posters can revert to "lol Greta".

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Mocking the looks of a teenage girl should never be excused, in my opinion. It's just pathetic.

If she wants to play senior hurling, she has to accept the digs that come with it.

Thankfully in less than 5 months time she's officially an adult so the "wah wah you're insulting a kid" line can be scrapped. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You are incorrect. Whilst we may affect the climate we don't control it. There is a subtle yet important difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If she wants to play senior hurling, she has to accept the digs that come with it.

Thankfully in less than 5 months time she's officially an adult so the "wah wah you're insulting a kid" line can be scrapped. :)

Whatever gets you off fam

• Advertisement

Another view point on that subject (from an Indian magazine) which also highlights that being concerned about environmental issues or the climate does not equate with having to agree with gretas support club. I wouldn't necessarily agree with everything the author says but imo they are correct in highlighting the well worn meme of people being lambasted where anyone criticizes anything she says or does. Hmmmm I wonder where we've seen that previously ..;)

https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/opinion-greta-thunberg-is-the-face-of-an-outlandish-ultra-left-dream-1569575573042.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

We're consuming more than ever now. We're destroying habitat more than ever now. There might be a few pissing in the wind initiatives but if we wanted to make a real difference to the Earth we'd need a huge overhaul of how we live our lives. And that isn't happening any time soon, people would sooner go to war than have less money/stuff.

And the longer people believe in saving the planet with meatless mondays and other wildly ineffective token efforts the shorter the window to do something meaningful is. It is a distraction.

We need radical thinking to redesign a more eco way of life without sacrifice. This needs professionals, not teenagers.

In my view, these feel good campaigns only delay that work from ever happening.

She made the point herself, all these arseholes who posed with her for a selfie and went back to their old ways, having ticked the feel good box and managing perception that they are a true believer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

i_surge wrote: »
    And the longer people believe in saving the planet with meatless mondays and other wildly ineffective token efforts the shorter the window to do something meaningful is. It is a distraction.

We need radical thinking to redesign a more eco way of life without sacrifice. This needs professionals, not teenagers.

In my view, these feel good campaigns only delay that work from ever happening.

She made the point herself, all these arseholes who posed with her for a selfie and went back to their old ways, having ticked the feel good box and managing perception that they are a true believer.

It took a teenager to bring about some of the biggest protests every seen on the planet.

If you believe action is needed, why are you knocking one of the few individuals activating for that? The professionals have been at it long enough and have been getting a pass in not doing anything close to what is required.

Take FG/FF for example, FG were in government, backed by FF, when Ireland signed its commitment to the Paris accord. They have done nothing to try to achieve the targets they committed to and the recent PFG negotiations were dominated with news briefs that the Greens wanted batsh*t crazy demands, which were what FG/FF signed up to.

Anyone who sees this going on today and turns their ire at Greta is either ignorant, or doesn't want action to help the climate.

It took a teenager to bring about some of the biggest protests every seen on the planet.

If you believe action is needed, why are you knocking one of the few individuals activating for that? The professionals have been at it long enough and have been getting a pass in not doing anything close to what is required.

Take FG/FF for example, FG were in government, backed by FF, when Ireland signed its commitment to the Paris accord. They have done nothing to try to achieve the targets they committed to and the recent PFG negotiations were dominated with news briefs that the Greens wanted batsh*t crazy demands, which were what FG/FF signed up to.

Anyone who sees this going on today and turns their ire at Greta is either ignorant, or doesn't want action to help the climate.

Protests don't fix anything.

That is exactly the point, for all the awareness nothing has materially changed.

Or doesn't think it is good enough

• Advertisement

Or doesn't think it is good enough

So, which is better, a small step, or no step....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Not a mad delusional step

Protests don't fix anything.

That is exactly the point, for all the awareness nothing has materially changed.

Tell that to the married gay people, or people who can safely access abortion services in their home country of Ireland, or Rosa Parks, or people who didn't want to pay water charges.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Not a mad delusional step

What constitutes a mad or delusional step?

They are functionally equivalent.

Anyway i think we agree more than disagree, i just want an environmental prophet with a workable plan over someone who has missed too much school.

Tell that to the married gay people, or people who can safely access abortion services in their home country of Ireland, or Rosa Parks, or people who didn't want to pay water charges.

A discrete decision to rewrite a piece of paper and radically reducing energy consumption are entirely unrelated.

That smart ass **** won't work on me.

A discrete decision to rewrite a piece of paper and radically reducing energy consumption are entirely unrelated.

That smart ass **** won't work on me.

Ok, the entire transition of a race of people in the US from chattel slaves to one of them becoming President is just smart ass ****.

Maybe, when you are ready, you'll offer solutions rather than ridiculous judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What constitutes a mad or delusional step?

Really? Eh........... a disturbed teenager travelling round the world on a $10,000,000 carbon fibre yacht (with crew flown in and out from all over the world) urging impressionable children not to attend the free education provided by various governments (or paid for by their parents) in favour of cluttering up the streets shouting dumb slogans before going home to their centrally heated houses on the basis that the same mad girl has discovered something new about global warming or has something new to say that actual scientists with experience and degrees etc don't know

Ok, the entire transition of a race of people in the US from chattel slaves to one of them becoming President is just smart ass ****.

Maybe, when you are ready, you'll offer solutions rather than ridiculous judgement.

What are you on about? The subject you are trying to weave in there is totally off topic. Feels like the start of some sort of stupid shaming tactic too. Silly. We live in 2020

I have loads of solutions but i won't be getting into it here, waste of time. We saw a lot of what can be done during lockdown, change can be quick if targeted.

Also as if a former black president is a sign of progress in that area. Engage your brain man.

Makes a good analogy too, if we make Obama into Greta and all the unfairly jailed people the environment you might learn the difference between what matters and what is optics.

Sounds like you need to go "educate yourself on the issues".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We need radical thinking to redesign a more eco way of life without sacrifice.

This is just not possible. We need to be content with less.

What are you on about? The subject you are trying to weave in there is totally off topic. Feels like the start of some sort of stupid shaming tactic too. Silly. We live in 2020

You said that protests don't make a difference, they patently can. You can choose to ignore the evidence because it undermines your view, I can't change that, but I can point out the shortcoming in your argument.
    I have loads of solutions but i won't be getting into it here, waste of time. We saw a lot of what can be done during lockdown, change can be quick if targeted.

Sure, you have solutions, but won't disclose them. I'll let you get back to your place on the ditch, judging others.

This is just not possible. We need to be content with less.

Instead of asking people to recycle, minimise plastic at source, that kind of thing. Clever design that makes life inherently less polluting.

You said that protests don't make a difference, they patently can. You can choose to ignore the evidence because it undermines your view, I can't change that, but I can point out the shortcoming in your argument.

Sure, you have solutions, but won't disclose them. I'll let you get back to your place on the ditch, judging others.

You seem a bit judgemental yourself, chillout and don't mischaracterise others views.

They won't make a difference here. We need intelligent design.

Legal changes and fundamentally correcting how we live are just not related. A protest might be the answer in one domain but not here.

Greta just seems to have manufactured a wave of counter haters who will now oppose any progress because they are emotionally engaged.

Also as if a former black president is a sign of progress in that area. Engage your brain man.

I don't know how anyone can look at the experience of black people in the US and not see a President of their race being a sign of progress. It beggars belief.

KyussB wrote: »
    Make a thread specifically about climate change, and keep it alive - and refuse to let the mods roll it into this thread - then the discussion does not turn into a sideshow about Greta.If mods do roll such a thread into this one - insist that mods then adjust the topic of this thread, to be expressly about climate change.That's the current problem with this thread - dismissal-of/condescension-towards Greta, has become a football-supporter-tribalism type proxy, for discussing climate change.The science doesn't matter, so long as posters can revert to "lol Greta".

:confused: Who is is stopping you doing that?

The original thread as far as I remember was started as a fairly humourous take at Greta and the aristocrat sail(ing) the high seas to save the planet.

Unfortunately that was regularly shat on. Since then I've noted a fairly constant whinging about posters whenever they say anything whatsover on topic.

And no I don't support eejits making crass remarks, insults or the sly inferences of paedophilia as seems to be the default of some.

Anyway back on track - the thread at this stage seems not so much "lol greta' as 'lol gretas fan club".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ |>

I don't know how anyone can look at the experience of black people in the US and not see a President of their race being a sign of progress. It beggars belief.

Because there are still huge issues unsolved for millions of lives.

If I'm obese and buy a gym membership..a sign of progress and don't go, i am still obsese.

When i actually lose weight, that is progress and not the illusion of progress.

Because there are still huge issues unsolved for millions of lives.

You do realise that 'progress' does not mean 'resolved'?

What great human challenge was solved with a single one shot fix?

• Advertisement

You do realise that 'progress' does not mean 'resolved'?

What great human challenge was solved with a single one shot fix?

What good does pissing in the wind do?

Those people are still in jail and our planet is still too polluted (regardless of the climate change angle which no one can realistically know for sure.. in which case it is better to use caution than arrogance)

Advertisement