Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Looks like the media’s favourite Climate Goblin has been taken back out of the box and is being puppeteered again for a while. Back with a new script That includes bat flu and black lives matter..

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/20/tipping-point-greta-thunberg-hails-black-lives-matter-protests

Yes indeed.

It looks as if the BBC and Swedish Radio have managed to collaborate with Thunberg Inc to relaunch Greta onto the World stage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53100800

With the poor old Beeb now totally immersed in ensuring that the entirety of it's content has been sterilized,it has to resort to,what in the past,would be called sectoral or niche News Coverage,and the Thunberg thing is as innofensive as can currently be found.

The Greta image is now a very marketable one,and will only increase in value until she eventually has to embrace adulthood and individual responsibility rather than assuming it for everybody else...
    The teenager believes the only way to avoid a climate crisis is to tear up contracts and abandon existing deals and agreements that companies and countries have signed up to.

There we go....tear it all up and do whatever it takes to follow the Thunberg way.....sorted eh :rolleyes: ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's amazing how easy it is to control people when a population of people are pumped methodically with fear/anxiety over a particular issue over and over again.

We have just experienced that in a very short time frame...it has the same impact over a prolonged period of time.

Shame on the BBC...how the mighty have fallen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It's amazing how easy it is to control people when a population of people are pumped methodically with fear/anxiety over a particular issue over and over again.

We have just experienced that in a very short time frame...it has the same impact over a prolonged period of time.

BBC is a sad parody of itself at this stage of the silly game, not even trying to hide their bias and hysterical fear mongering. They have a lot invested in the Greta machine they are trying to breathe life back into.

It's not so much "shame on them" but more of "sadness for them" that I feel.

The BBC,for generations was head & shoulders above any other media organ in how it covered issues and disseminated the resultant debate around the World,without fear or favour and often being the ONLY means of contact with the outside World in many parts of the globe.

For the likes of myself,who listened religiously to Alastair Cooke's,Letter from America and then the early pre-dawn World Service broadcasts covering all manner of far away revolutions,coups,famines and floods it was always with a sense of quality and truthfulness that one could listen.

Whilst,today,I still use the BBC's coverage,I am realistic enough to apply a filter to so much of it,and to take in mind the editors now total,lack of freedom across ALL genres of it's coverage.

It is very noteworthy,that Ms Thunberg's,by now,regular contributions entail World Socities doing as she says...and be quick about it too !

Follow the Science indeed !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thunberg, BLM and the left are converging at "tear down western civilisation in its current form".
    And they may just succeed. The right seems to be unwilling to push back.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Thunberg, BLM and the left are converging at "tear down western civilisation in its current form".

The Greta circus has limited appeal and is so obviously manufactured that it only appeals to those looking for a saviour, the kind of people who join cults. She is not a likable or relatable character on any level and has no charisma whatsoever. A one hit wonder that the likes of the BBC won’t be able to reinvigorate at this stage. Communist agitators in all their thin disguises are exposing themselves as the stark raving lunatics that they really are. I can imagine the hysterical collective meltdown they will have when Trump is re-elected. Sit back and enjoy the show as these wackos unravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You really are all a bunch of nutjobs in this thread

Ah stop, how dare you. I hope you don’t jog in the woods Eamon Ryan and the Incredible Hulk have probably already released some wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Who are the nutjobs, the people who idolise a teenage girl or those that don't?

Who are the nutjobs, the people who idolise a teenage girl or those that don't?

The ecocommies got very upset in Australia when some restaurant chain released their new vegan Thunburger. Belittling a child apparently lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Who are the nutjobs, the people who obsess over a teenage girl or those that don't?

FYP

Being 'Right Wing' in these times is akin to inviting the wrath of God down upon yourself,therefore,for peace sake,most who do not appreciate liberal,leftist theologies tend to keep their opinions to themselves.

There may be something to be said for a policy of "letting them at it", as the Mayor of Seattle did with the BLM folks....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/20/us/seattle-chop-shooting.html

With Greta Thunberg now apparently refocused and appropriately coached in the modified "School strike for Climate" message,we can expect some more relevant interviews with Greta herself,as her transition from schoolgirl to full-time activist is pursued.

Is this a direct quote from Greta herself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Guys, let’s not let the Covid19 Crisis overshadow the Climate Emergency. The Climate Emergency is just as petrifying. I am beyond disgusted at all the what I thought were hardcore activists that have vanished in the last few months. Grainne, Fiachra, Sabdh, Cabaiste and the rest of my crew that I thought I was tight with in ER have vanished off the face of the earth. Not returning calls, blocked me on Facebook etc. last time I heard Sabdh was dancing to Bruno Mars with a goldfish bowl on her head on tik tok for our frontline hero’s. Sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Guys, let’s not let the Covid19 Crisis overshadow the Climate Emergency. The Climate Emergency is just as petrifying. I am beyond disgusted at all the what I thought were hardcore activists that have vanished in the last few months. Grainne, Fiachra, Sabdh, Cabaiste and the rest of my crew that I thought I was tight with in ER have vanished off the face of the earth. Not returning calls, blocked me on Facebook etc. last time I heard Sabdh was dancing to Bruno Mars with a goldfish bowl on her head on tik tok for our frontline hero’s. Sick of it.

Hard to sell man-made warming when Antarctic methane is pumping out naturally
    https://www.businessinsider.com/methane-leaking-antarctica-sea-floor-bad-news-global-heating-2020-7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hard to sell man-made warming when Antarctic methane is pumping out naturally
    https://www.businessinsider.com/methane-leaking-antarctica-sea-floor-bad-news-global-heating-2020-7
    Its not really natural when its pumping out of melting ice and permafrost when we raise the temperature by burning millions of years of stored sunlight though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not really natural when its pumping out of melting ice and permafrost when we raise the temperature by burning millions of years of stored sunlight though is it?

Cracks in the seabed? Ross sea has seen little warming
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/22/first-active-leak-of-sea-bed-methane-discovered-in-antarctica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Things do not happen in isolation. The planet's biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere, and aerosphere are complex systems of interwoven cause & effect feed back loops. Which we humans are smashing up without any real insight into the full ramifications of what can happen, and how these feedback loops can throw things into well... chaos.

Methane gas leaks from Antarctica just adds to the massive problems we as a species are doing to the planet's systems. This is something we should be very alarmed about and not dismiss as something that we may have not had an indirect influence in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thargor wrote: »

It’s the natural ending of the last ice age. The earth goes in cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭vafankillar

brilliant from frankie boyle

69831449_2270570163069158_8855902451849494528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=bFG176owPVcAX9xTiAd&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=39a945c51f13993020838b948c57affb&oe=5F424009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The methane scare is part of a political campaign that uses junk science as a means to further alarmism to attack meat production. The IPCC reports on methane are inconclusive.

The easy solution to the looming monster methane apocalypse
    Summary: The looming disaster from the powerful greenhouse gas methane has become a standard part of alarmists’ shtick. It shows how they’ve abandoned the IPCC — the “gold standard” of climate science — and why we need the IPCC to help defend us against manipulation by the Left and Right. The consensus of scientists is not always right; it’s just the best we have.

source

New Research: Methane Emissions From Livestock Have No Detectable Effect On The Climate
    Agrobiologist and scientific researcher Dr. Albrecht Glatzle, author of over 100 scientific papers and two textbooks, has published research that shows “there is no scientific evidence, whatsoever, that domestic livestock could represent a risk for the Earth’s climate” and that the “warming potential of anthropogenic GHG [greenhouse gas] emissions has been exaggerated”.

source

Green Party says we need to reduce the number of cows, farmers call that an 'attack'

However, the vegans have a problem in the form of rice production.

Methane Emissions from Rice Cultivation:Flooded Rice Fields
    Of the wide variety of sources of atmospheric CH4, rice paddy fields are considered oneof the most important. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 1996)estimated the global emission rate from paddy fields at 60 Tg/yr, with a range of 20 to100 Tg/yr. This is about 5-20 per cent of the total emission from all anthropogenicsources. This figure is mainly based on field measurements of CH4 fluxes from paddyfields in the United States, Spain, Italy, China, India, Australia, Japan and Thailand.

source

In the end though . .

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It is rather interesting that the wealthy descendants of oil barons are using their tax shelters (ie, charitable foundations) to bank roll the green movement.

Fossil-fuel arch-enemy Greta Thunberg is awarded a million-euro ‘Humanity Prize’ by oil tycoon’s foundation

EGEB: David Kaiser, Rockefeller oil heir who fought Big Oil, dies at 50

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

It is rather interesting that the wealthy descendants of oil barons are using their tax shelters (ie, charitable foundations) to bank roll the green movement.

Fossil-fuel arch-enemy Greta Thunberg is awarded a million-euro ‘Humanity Prize’ by oil tycoon’s foundation

EGEB: David Kaiser, Rockefeller oil heir who fought Big Oil, dies at 50

Probably the most relevant comment from the rt news article....
    "Thunberg now is a bona fide celebrity having big media appearances and talks with government leaders."

Increasingly,of late,as the Thundberg Inc brand evolves,Greta has been placed alongside a well vetted selection of such "Not for Profit" socially vetted agencies,of which the Gulbenkian foundation is the latest.

Perhaps unsurprisingly,the current media references to the Gulbenkian foundation tend to major on the founder of the dynasty,Calouste who,by all accounts was a somewhat dour and miserly individual.

Few articles regarding Greta's good fortune,make reference to the Gulbenkian of my own youth,the far more impressively wealthy Nubar Gulbankian.

Not wanting to do a TLDR on it,I can only recomment a good read of his New York Times epitaph from 1972.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/01/12/archives/nubar-gulbenkian-oil-millionaire-dies-nubar-gulbenkian-oil.html

A small selection of traits which might possibly appal the Thunberg folks...
    “I believe in comfort. I enjoy myself. I enjoy life. I enjoy everything I do.”

Mr. Gulbenkian, a tireless ladies' man, gourmet extraordinaire and most picturesque of bon vivants, practiced an un abashedly epicurean philosophy.

One has to applaud the billionaire who recognises the actualité of being wealthy,as opposed to being seen to be concerned by the situations of those who are'nt...
    He was a man of extravagant gestures and habits. He rode around in a custom‐made car, equipped with a Rolls‐Royce en gine and a body, trimmed in gold plate, designed to look like a London taxicab. “I like to travel in a gold‐plated taxi that can turn on a sixpence— whatever that is,” he said.

His taste for the good things in life was catholic. Once, when asked whether he preferred old brandy or young women, horses or Rolls‐Royces, city life over country life, Mr. Gulbenkian thoughtfully stroked his luxuri ant beard and replied simply:

“I prefer everything.”

Even in his marriages,a certain un Thunberg like attitude surfaces.....
    Mr. Gulbenkian approached the subject of women with gusto, and he spent a breezily gay life chasing chorus girls. Finally, however, he settled down to marriage—three times. He could be quite philosophical about what he called his “marital follies.”

“I've had good wives, as wives go,” he remarked, “and as wives go, two of them went.”
    :D

In short....a Billionaires billionaire ......What would he make of the Thunberg crowd getting a milliion dollars of His money...I like to think he would deliver it in his Rolls-Royce Taxi in sixpenny-bits (whatever they are) :)

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Greta Thunberg must be in a terrible place mentally now.

She was visibly fearful talking about the planet, breaking down so how is she coping with a worldwide pandemic where 800,000 people have died and life is locked down.

I also worry for her physical health. She looks incredibly weak and frail. Her face is a fright.

Look at a recent photo, she is scrawny and narrow like a 10 year old child. Greta turns 18 in 4 months. Imagine walking into a pub and seeing a group of Gretas, you'd feel like you were in primary school. And are there really that many fools who listen to an almost 18 year old who has to wear velcro shoes?

EgCKPnbWoAAjjOA?format=jpg&name=large

I also hate the criticism of those who question the cult of greta, saying she's only a kid etc.
    When a kid starts telling adults what to do, we can fight back. You wanna play a big boy game, you gotta accept the big boy rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Nope. Feel free to dislike her all you want.

People should just be prepared to be challenged on their ' logic' when trying to come up with some reason to explain why they don't like her other than acknowledging that that is all it is.

For the record, nothing she has done so far indicates that she is a genius, likewise, she is not yet a hero because she or her protests have yet to be the catalyst to the radical change which is required being implemented.

But she is a very principled, dedicated person who is trying to lead by example and advocate for change instead of just shrugging her shoulders or ignoring the issue. She is to be applauded for that much at least in my book and the best way to support her is to support her message.

Greta’s message is what matters “ listen to the science”. If it wasn’t for grassroots activists like Greta we would still think nazism was a viable concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Greta Thunberg must be in a terrible place mentally now.

She was visibly fearful talking about the planet, breaking down so how is she coping with a worldwide pandemic where 800,000 people have died and life is locked down.

I also worry for her physical health. She looks incredibly weak and frail. Her face is a fright.

Look at a recent photo, she is scrawny and narrow like a 10 year old child. Greta turns 18 in 4 months. Imagine walking into a pub and seeing a group of Gretas, you'd feel like you were in primary school. And are there really that many fools who listen to an almost 18 year old who has to wear velcro shoes?

EgCKPnbWoAAjjOA?format=jpg&name=large

I also hate the criticism of those who question the cult of greta, saying she's only a kid etc.
    When a kid starts telling adults what to do, we can fight back. You wanna play a big boy game, you gotta accept the big boy rules.

You seem pretty fearful of the kid. Of course after you criticised her look and dress sense. Very mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Greta’s message is what matters “ listen to the science”. If it wasn’t for grassroots activists like Greta we would still think nazism was a viable concept.

This piece of parody nicely sums up the lunacy of Greta. Fair play to her, but I'd question anyone who needs to be told by a 16/17 year that climate change is real and a problem to finally realize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People keep asking me ”what is the solution to the climate crisis.” And how do we ”fix this problem”. They expect me to know the answer. That is beyond absurd as there are no ”solutions” within our current systems. No one ”knows” exactly what to do. That’s the whole point. We can’t just lower or heighten some taxes or invest in some ”green” funds and go on like before.
    According to Greta

I suppose this means everyone giving up their current life and living in small communities in the country.

Ready to go Amish yet?

According to Greta

I suppose this means everyone giving up their current life and living in small communities in the country.

Ready to go Amish yet?

That is quite a scary photograph,and I hope Greta Thunberg's family reflect upon the motives and broader thinking of Thunberg Inc's various backers.

Meanwhile,the actual business of keeping the World moving is occupying the minds of,perhaps,less socially concerned leaders....?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-energy-erdogan/erdogan-announces-historic-turkish-gas-find-in-black-sea-idUSKBN25H1P4

G'wan Tayip ye good thing ye .....
    “This reserve is actually part of a much bigger source. God willing, much more will come,” Erdogan said. “There will be no stopping until we become a net exporter in energy.”

All that remains now is to find a solar powered yacht,and set course for the Blick Sea !

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Bowie wrote: »
    You seem pretty fearful of the kid. Of course after you criticised her look and dress sense. Very mature.

Yeah I'm fearful of the kid. This kid has been given some almighty power of influence. Who is she? She's a millionaires daughter with a PR campaign brainwashing kids. If Greta had her way the rural dwellers of Ireland would be left to rot and die.

Can you believe she's brainwashed teachers all throughout the country in giving up 20% of their education? Let's see how many kids show up on a Saturday for a march eh? "but that's not the point of a strike, it has to be during school hours"

When people strike, it's because they're harming other people. i.e When Dunnes Stores workers strike, the owners lose money. Same with Dublin bus etc.

When kids strike, who loses out? Only the kids themselves.

Regarding her appearance, I gave an observation. Why can't I? She looks unhealthy for someone who seemingly cares about the health of the people. Wonder is it down to her vegan diet that she's so weak and undeveloped. And I think it's very valid criticism that no one should be listening to an almost 18 year old woman seemingly can't tie her shoelaces.

Advertisement