Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 NMHS

Being named as Times person of the year is not an honour. If anything she should be embarrassed at sharing the title with some of the pervious recipients.

https://www.businessinsider.com/time-person-of-the-year-most-controversial-picks-2018-12

Is that your best?

blinding wrote: »
    Taxes to beat down the masses to do the right thing. That will go down well.

Greta's pals in the Private Jets will use them to make Voluntary Tax Cash Dumps directly to Revenue and offset their Carbon Fly-Print.

Politicians will be ecstatic and thats what counts.

As I said, "Taxes on those who can afford it" and no it won't go down well but that's how it partially has to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

NMHS wrote: »
    As I said, "Taxes on those who can afford it" and no it won't go down well but that's how it partially has to be.
    The middle class and the poor pay taxes. The wealthy manage to come up with ways of not paying Taxes. The Politicians generally look after the interests of the wealthy.

Anyway Greta and the Climate (????) has been Covid-19 Virus Whacked:eek::eek:

The politicians are too busy with other stuff and will be for a hell of a long time to come.

Greta should get on with her education.

The middle class and the poor pay taxes. The wealthy manage to come up with ways of not paying Taxes. The Politicians generally look after the interests of the wealthy.

Anyway Greta and the Climate (????) has been Covid-19 Virus Whacked:eek::eek:

The politicians are too busy with other stuff and will be for a hell of a long time to come.

Greta should get on with her education.

I'm aware, I pay them too. You are right the politicians do very often protect the profits of the rich, should we not all be clamouring for that to change? Hint; we should! That is our responsibility as citizens in a democracy.
    If you sit and suck it up then you get what you get, crumbs.
    If you really think after this (if and when a vaccine is dicovered and mass produced in billions of doses, how long do you think that will take?) that many more people won't be advocating decent climate change legislation, well I certainly believe you are badly mistaken, I guess we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is that your best?

My best what? You claimed being named as Times magazines person of the year is an honour. Clearly it's not when some of the pervious persons named was the likes of Hitler, Stalin and her favourite American President Trump.
    One of the few positives of the present crisis is that pollution has declined significantly and none of it had anything to the shrill screeches of a clearly manipulated young girl . Who I personally hope has found another subject to occupy herself with. As in the aftermath of the pandemic I don't think many will be interested in indulging her blame games far more pressing matters will have to be dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Gretta should be able to enjoy her teenage year's and not be hanging out with adults who are using her for their own agenda.

I assure when my son was going through anxiety the last thing I'd be doing is encouraging him to be an ecco warrior.

I don't think our brains are firing right until our mid 20's and if that's the way Gretta's being indoctrinated I think it's sad.
    The most important year's of her cognitive development, being full of fear anger and probably not getting the right treatment.

Wasn't she on some train on her own in northern Europe that's no place for a kid who's in the limelight for negative reasons.

I remember the 80's and the ozone layer was depleting due to CFCs.
    That's being fixed.

Where are all the teen-agers and adults protesting about the pollution in our own river's and lake's ?

I think 90% of the river's and streams in Ireland have ecoli, who's saving the water quality of our river's, apart from myself and a few trout and salmon fishermen having the odd protest now and again.
    It's all coming off the land.

The common eel's nearly extinct, there was a time when the river's were full of elver ells, you could cup them out in your hand they were an annual delight to look at with my dad or uncle or friends.

I know the environment is important and the younger generation will be taking charge, maybe Gretta will be helpful and lead the world in that area maybe and she'll make a positive impact.

But why aren't the grown ups not taking the lead ?

We've a lot less industry than the other countries in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The last time they tried to make dole recipients pay a tax Joan Burton got trapped in a car.

My best what? You claimed being named as Times magazines person of the year is an honour. Clearly it's not when some of the pervious persons named was the likes of Hitler, Stalin and her favourite American President Trump.
    One of the few positives of the present crisis is that pollution has declined significantly and none of it had anything to the shrill screeches of a clearly manipulated young girl . Who I personally hope has found another subject to occupy herself with. As in the aftermath of the pandemic I don't think many will be interested in indulging her blame games far more pressing matters will have to be dealt with.

I said no such thing, I should have included my source though so here. I think in this case though it can be said to be an honour in fairness.

"For reminding America that demagoguery feeds on despair and that truth is only as powerful as the trust in those who speak it, for empowering a hidden electorate by mainstreaming its furies and live-streaming its fears, and for framing tomorrow's political culture by demolishing yesterday's, Donald Trump is Time 2016 Person of the Year."

"Hitler became in 1938 the greatest threatening force that the democratic, freedom-loving world faces today,"

"The year 1942 was a year of blood and strength. The man whose name means steel in Russian, whose few words of English include the American expression "tough guy" was the man of 1942. Only Joseph Stalin fully knew how close Russia stood to defeat in 1942, and only Joseph Stalin fully knew how he brought Russia through."

But the whole world knew what the alternative would have been. The man who knew it best of all was Adolf Hitler, who found his past accomplishments turning into dust.

Time bases its choices on the person or thing that had the "the greatest impact on the news, for good or ill."

Context is important folks, words matter.

nthclare wrote: »
    Gretta should be able to enjoy her teenage year's and not be hanging out with adults who are using her for their own agenda.

I assure when my son was going through anxiety the last thing I'd be doing is encouraging him to be an ecco warrior.

I don't think our brains are firing right until our mid 20's and if that's the way Gretta's being indoctrinated I think it's sad.
    The most important year's of her cognitive development, being full of fear anger and probably not getting the right treatment.

Wasn't she on some train on her own in northern Europe that's no place for a kid who's in the limelight for negative reasons.

I remember the 80's and the ozone layer was depleting due to CFCs.
    That's being fixed.

Where are all the teen-agers and adults protesting about the pollution in our own river's and lake's ?

I think 90% of the river's and streams in Ireland have ecoli, who's saving the water quality of our river's, apart from myself and a few trout and salmon fishermen having the odd protest now and again.
    It's all coming off the land.

The common eel's nearly extinct, there was a time when the river's were full of elver ells, you could cup them out in your hand they were an annual delight to look at with my dad or uncle or friends.

I know the environment is important and the younger generation will be taking charge, maybe Gretta will be helpful and lead the world in that area maybe and she'll make a positive impact.

But why aren't the grown ups not taking the lead ?

We've a lot less industry than the other countries in the EU

Why do you assume she has no agency? You say she's possibly being indocrinated but indocrination is simply to imbue with learning, she's not partisan, those she endeavours to speak to are, why is she not simply cogent?Her fear and anger is perfectly justified. At least you concede that she may have a positive impact.
    And you are right, where are the adults? That's exactly what she's asking.

The last time they tried to make dole recipients pay a tax Joan Burton got trapped in a car.

I'm sorry, I don't see a point in there.

• Advertisement

Thunberg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in March 2019, and a few months later she became the youngest individual ever to be honored as Time's Person of the Year.

'to be honoured as Time's Person of the Year'. As I said, who she shares that accolade with I wouldn't be so quick to describe it as an honour tbh.
    No words put in your mouth by me see your quote.

'to be honoured as Time's Person of the Year'. As I said, who she shares that accolade with I wouldn't be so quick to describe it as an honour tbh.

You're right, I clarified. In many cases it's meant to be anything but an honour. Care to address any of my other points?

You're right, I clarified. In many cases it's meant to be anything but an honour. Care to address any of my other points?

No interest in addressing your other points when you've shown a willingness to be dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

“You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!”
    —Greta Thunberg

"You are not mature enough to tell it like is," she said at the summit, addressing the Secretary-General. "Even that burden you leave to us children. But I don't care about being popular. I care about climate justice and the living planet."
    —Greta Thunberg

Thunberg was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in March 2019, and a few months later she became the youngest individual ever to be honored as Time's Person of the Year.

Ah yes - even more excerpts from gretas big tantrum where she blamed all the adults in the room for stealing her priviliged childhood or wtte

Of course people are fuking dying. People have been dying since time immemorial. People are dying in their thousands of Covid-19. Yet deaths from natural disasters are showing a downward trend over the last century. Her ignorance of ecology and human society are remarkable. Who does she think paid for her (priviliged) 'stolen' childhood / her special education/ her trips around the world - but economic success ? Species extinction has been ongoing for millennia and its root cause is firmly linked to human population expansion. Dont hear any hysterics from her about that. I wonder why ...

If she was younger I would suggest she is naive and easily led

If she was any older I would say say her rantings are little better than idiotic. A perfect candidate for a Times magazine wannabe...

Do us all a favour and read the fracking thread. You are simply dragging up rubbish which has been soundly debunked many many times. You never know - you may just learn something.

No interest in addressing your other points when you've shown a willingness to be dishonest.

That's entirely up to you though I myself don't see the apparent dishonesty. Maybe you'll point it out so I can refute your assertion? Then maybe we could continue to debate.

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah yes - even more excerpts from gretas big tantrum where she blamed all the adults in the room for stealing her priviliged childhood or wtte

Of course people are fuking dying. People have been dying since time immemorial. People are dying in their thousands of Covid-19. Her ignorance of ecology and human society are remarkable. Who does she think paid for her (priviliged) 'stolen' childhood / her special education/ her trips around the world - but economic success ? Species extinction has been ongoing for millennia and its root cause is firmly linked to human population expansion. Dont hear any hysterics from her about that. I wonder why ...

If she was younger I would suggest she is naive and easily led

If she was any older I would say say her rantings are little better than idiotic. A perfect candidate for a Times magazine wannabe...

Do us all a favour and read the fracking thread. You are simply dragging up rubbish which has been soundly debunked many many times. You never know - you may just learn something.

I would read all those pages but I have a life. And you are right I might learn something but tbh if I want to learn something I'll do my own research, boards would not be my first port of call.

"Of course people are fuking dying. People have been dying since time immemorial." Nooooooooo,, it can't be true! :D:D:D:D

"If she was" "I would say", you're not though are you? It's a bit unclear. You are right about population of course but you are hardly suggesting that she should advocate genocide or something like that are you? It seems like you might be.

Greta has had a good run . Time for her to get an Education and perhaps do some good with that Education in the Future !

Greta has had a good run . Time for her to get an Education and perhaps do some good with that Education in the Future !

HAHAHA, you too! It's been real guys, thanks for the days entertainment. Maybe I'll drop by in another three years and see how things are ;).

HAHAHA, you too! It's been real guys, thanks for the days entertainment. Maybe I'll drop by in another three years and see how things are ;).
    Greta can certainly do with 3 years of Real Education.

She was far too young to go off to make her fortune on the High Seas ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I would read all those pages but I have a life. And you are right I might learn something but tbh if I want to learn something I'll do my own research, boards would not be my first port of call.

"Of course people are fuking dying. People have been dying since time immemorial." Nooooooooo,, it can't be true! :D:D:D:D

"If she was" "I would say", you're not though are you? It's a bit unclear. You are right about population of course but you are hardly suggesting that she should advocate genocide or something like that are you? It seems like you might be.

Nope. Why is it that anyone who points to the elephant in the room ie the whole population issue - gets labelled as a Dr Manegle type? That issue has already been discussed and there was not one word about a solution requiring genocide. Funny how things always seem to gets reduced to such black and white thinking. A bit like greta I suppose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Why do you assume she has no agency? You say she's possibly being indocrinated but indocrination is simply to imbue with learning, she's not partisan, those she endeavours to speak to are, why is she not simply cogent?Her fear and anger is perfectly justified. At least you concede that she may have a positive impact.
    And you are right, where are the adults? That's exactly what she's asking.

I hear you, there's a thin line between sanity and insanity, and I fear Gretta needs help to deal with the popularity and onslaught of negative and positive attention.

Looking back at Michael Jackson, Corey Fieldman and other children in the limelight.
    They had sad lives and and they're not getting answers etc

Fear and Anger in a child ain't good for them.

You say indoctrination is simply to imbue or inspire learning.
    I won't go on a tangent about the Catholic church or the way I was indoctrinated by School getting confused with the Biblical story, Greek mythology and Science...

You're entitled to your opinion and I mine, but it's good to get one's feet on the ground.

I respect your opinion, we're all different it's what makes the world go round innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

nthclare wrote: »
    I hear you, there's a thin line between sanity and insanity, and I fear Gretta needs help to deal with the popularity and onslaught of negative and positive attention.

Looking back at Michael Jackson, Corey Fieldman and other children in the limelight.
    They had sad lives and and they're not getting answers etc

Fear and Anger in a child ain't good for them.

You say indoctrination is simply to imbue or inspire learning.
    I won't go on a tangent about the Catholic church or the way I was indoctrinated by School getting confused with the Biblical story, Greek mythology and Science...

You're entitled to your opinion and I mine, but it's good to get one's feet on the ground.

I respect your opinion, we're all different it's what makes the world go round innit.

From what has been posted,I am sensing the respect element is meant to go in one direction on this topic.

One has to be mindful,when assessing and interpreting the thought processess of those on the Autism spectrum,of their capacity to balance the many variables they encounter as part of their reasoning process.

Quite often,if a given set of elements do not confrom to their desire,they will simply disregard,or erase them,before producing their version of the situation.

They will have TOTAL belief in their reasoning,and their ability to comprehend any alternative to their own simply does not exist.

Those living with such people ,who over a lifetime have watched and marvelled,at how the human brain can simultaneously be so complex,yet so utterly simplistic can only be fearful for how Greta Thunberg,s future will develop in the light of the current World situation.

At some point Greta's total focus clarity in relation to her chosen topic,will become an impediment to the more nuanced politically minded group which accompany her travels.

The reality of compromise,and even of having to let-go of a strongly held position,is a lot easier for "us" to deal with than for Greta.

I am not at all confident that Greta's sponsors can see past her value as a 'Headline act'....and that again,makes me sad.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Greta's decree to the Swedish people

panic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Adolph Hitler yes, maybe. Although he spearheaded a lot of environmental initiatives there was the issue of toxic nationalism. Josef Stalin on the other has been the victim of the capitalist press, his name was dragged through the mud. His five year plans were and are an example we could learn from.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Adolph Hitler yes, maybe. Although he spearheaded a lot of environmental initiatives there was the issue of toxic nationalism. Josef Stalin on the other has been the victim of the capitalist press, his name was dragged through the mud. His five year plans were and are an example we could learn from.
    How many did Stalin Kill ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

How many did Stalin Kill ? ?

He sent people to Siberia for re-education. Kulaks, toxic nationalists, and bourgeois capitalists.

biko wrote: »
    Greta's decree to the Swedish people

panic.jpg

That's why my friend Sheila calls Gretta "The Doom Goblin.
    Instilling fear and anxiety to the masses and then you've millions of people buying into the fear, she's not right in the head and instead of getting the appropriate treatment.
    Her so called responsible parents are turning a blind eye to the negative impact this will have on her cognitive development.

The emperor's New clothes in full flight from reality.

He sent people to Siberia for re-education. Kulaks, toxic nationalists, and bourgeois capitalists.
    Was it a Health Farm that killed Millions and Millions and Millions of People ! !:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

...and assisted with the carve-up of Poland in cooperation with the Germans, following that up by murdering over 20,000 poles, and invaded his smaller neighbour Finland (getting a bloody nose in the process) and sat back and watched from the far side of the Vistula in 1944 while Warsaw was razed and the Polish home army defeated, and criminalised Soviet POWs liberated from the Germans. Yeah we could learn a lot from Stalin alright, with "how to be a paranoid psychopathic mass murderer" up there at the top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I'm aware, I pay them too. You are right the politicians do very often protect the profits of the rich, should we not all be clamouring for that to change? Hint; we should! That is our responsibility as citizens in a democracy.
    If you sit and suck it up then you get what you get, crumbs.

Granted this is anecdotal, but I've found that many of the same people who complain about the taxes paid by the squeezed middle are the same who will object to further tax being paid by the plump wealthy, displaying a kiss-up-kick-down attitude that has a very different target in mind.

Advertisement