Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So I hear you're a fascist now Verhofstadt :rolleyes:

Euro-scepticism really is a mind-altering drug (as evidenced by much of the absolute scutter on the thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Bollox. The Eurosceptics have been parroting these insipid soundbites for years now.

Every man and his dog has been talking of such including wannaby EU leaders like Bliar.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can somebody tell me what the problem is with an EU Army if an army is needed?

Why would you cede control to something that is essentially run by the US?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why would you cede control to something that is essentially run by the US?

It's weird how some of the anti-EU brigade support Trump whose America First policy is basically the catalyst which has prompted remarks such as the above. I met a chap in London once who'd worked in military logistics who did a good job of explaining why an EU army would make sense.

Ultimately, Eurosceptics have spent so long peddling lies and BS that it's impossible to take these talking points seriously or even in good faith. Europeans are bad for relying too much on the US to protect them and Europeans are bad for seriously looking into stepping up and protecting themselves.

You couldn't make it up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Dytalus wrote: »
    Apologies, I misread your post. You are correct: It was reported as such.

But a number of legal guarantees regarding the treaty were provided, on the request of the Irish government, which addressed Irish concerns regarding the treaty. Then we voted on the amended document.

We were not asked to vote on the same thing twice. Those who say we did (including an opinion peace in the 'lefty media') are at best misinformed, at worst are willfully lying to stoke anti-EU sentiment.

The Gaurdian is one of the most pro EU papers around. Even in those days when the UK Labour party were advocating a referendum.

This also highlights one of the problems with political people and their papers/backers in every country.

For example the UK Labour party has been as much anti EU as the Tory's and just swing anyway they like to suit.

• Advertisement

It's weird how some of the anti-EU brigade support Trump whose America First policy is basically the catalyst which has prompted remarks such as the above. I met a chap in London once who'd worked in military logistics who did a good job of explaining why an EU army would make sense.

Ultimately, Eurosceptics have spent so long peddling lies and BS that it's impossible to take these talking points seriously or even in good faith. Europeans are bad for relying too much on the US to protect them and Europeans are bad for seriously looking into stepping up and protecting themselves.

You couldn't make it up.

You have a very valid point but some people and if you look back in history you will find that Europeans have a disastrous history when it comes to armed intervention at the cost of millions of British, American, Irish and other countries lives.

To be honest on their history. I wouldnt let any of them be armed with a pea shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You couldn't make it up.
    As I suspected, you are pro-EU and pro-EU Army.
    That's fine, as long as you can understand there are some of us that don't want our children to be drafted into an army to fight battles for Germany.

100 years ago some Irish signed up for the Brits army. And some didn't.

You really have two kinds of people
    the first kind wants to merge with the whole, some big melting pot mentality
    the second kind don't want to merge but to retain individuality and distinctiveness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

biko wrote: »
    As I suspected, you are pro-EU and pro-EU Army.
    That's fine, as long as you can understand there are some of us that don't want our children to be drafted into an army to fight battles for Germany.

100 years ago some Irish signed up for the Brits army. And some didn't.

You suspected that I'm pro-EU? I've literally thousands of posts about Brexit on this site.

And pro-EU army? Feck off with your strawman. I simply said that the idea has some merit but you've just done the usual Eurosceptic thing of distorting rather than engaging with fact with a bit of fantasy German fascism thrown in to boot.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

You have a very valid point but some people and if you look back in history you will find that Europeans have a disastrous history when it comes to armed intervention at the cost of millions of British, American, Irish and other countries lives.

To be honest on their history. I wouldnt let any of them be armed with a pea shooter.

So you trust the US? Is their history all rosy?

• Advertisement

It is the French who you need to worry about. They have a history of starting something and running away leaving others to clear up and get killed.
    That's racist, dude

That's racist, dude

Ah well if we are going down that route of stopping people of speaking on recent history then the whole threads pointless let alone as you say.

So time to watch what happens from now on and leaving you to solve nothing.

Really check out who started the Vietnamn war for recent events.
    Ho requested political assistance from the U.S. in preventing the French from returning after WW2 after fighting the Japanese, something that the French and British disagreed with, the British forces in place actually released French and Japanese pows to help hold power until they could hand it back to the French.

From then on the U.S. obsession with communism ended up prolonging the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You suspected that I'm pro-EU? I've literally thousands of posts about Brexit on this site.

And pro-EU army? Feck off with your strawman. I simply said that the idea has some merit but you've just done the usual Eurosceptic thing of distorting rather than engaging with fact with a bit of fantasy German fascism thrown in to boot.
    The advantages of being in the EU are plain to see but unconditional adoration and swallowing of every edict from Brussels is a disturbing trait.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The advantages of being in the EU are plain to see but unconditional adoration and swallowing of every edict from Brussels is a disturbing trait.

Can you quote posts to substantiate this please?

H. H. Asquith

Have you yourself not said there are advantages of being in the EU? Why does he need to link to posts about that?

jk

Have you yourself not said there are advantages of being in the EU? Why does he need to link to posts about that?

He doesn't have to link anything if he doesn't want to but it'd be nice to see where I've "swallowed every edict from Brussels" while expressing "unconditional adoration".

H. H. Asquith

some of us that don't want our children to be drafted into an army to fight battles for Germany.

I think I smell stale lisbon treaty "no" vote poster fodder that's been left out in the sun far too long (google tells me it is almost 12 years ago now)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I think I smell stale lisbon treaty "no" vote poster fodder that's been left out in the sun far too long (google tells me it is almost 12 years ago now)!

The writing on my libertas cup has faded it is now just a blue cup.
    Nice EU blue cup!

^^Libertas, that's a blast from the past alright. Another Irish right wing political movement/party that just sank without a trace. There have been so many over the years. Must get very disheartening for true patriots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

52a68fe8f8d1abd86c870db138fd9230.png

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so is there any sort of celebration or ceremony planned for 11 tomorrow, something i could watch from the safety of a dublin pub perhaps.

^^Libertas, that's a blast from the past alright. Another Irish right wing political movement/party that just sank without a trace. There have been so many over the years. Must get very disheartening for true patriots.

Ah they never really go away, they just morph into something else and try and make a few quid off asses who use gript etc

so is there any sort of celebration or ceremony planned for 11 tomorrow, something i could watch from the safety of a dublin pub perhaps.

crypto, the kid + friends have worked hard to assemble a crack team of ex-pat urban climbers. They are en route with their gear and some high power boom boxes to London to scale big ben + let freedom ring at 11 pm tomorrow.

Jokes aside, Boris Johnson will address the British public and they are lighting up some buildings in London in red, white and blue I think but don't know how much of that will make it onto the TV here (other than the news).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

crypto, the kid + friends have worked hard to assemble a crack team of ex-pat urban climbers. They are en route with their gear and some high power boom boxes to London to scale big ben + let freedom ring at 11 pm tomorrow.

Jokes aside, Boris Johnson will address the British public and they are lighting up some buildings in London in red, white and blue I think but don't know how much of that will make it onto the TV here (other than the news).

itll probably be on in wetherspoons on sky news, a fitting venue for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I know you don`t swallow everything the EU says(as shown with your earlier reaction to comments made by Guy Verhofstadt).
    I don`t think I should have to quote any posts,it`s just my opinion,the same as I`m also troubled by gung-ho brexiteers posting rubbish or people defending sinn fein councillors who judge people`s sexuality.
    I stand by my opinion remaining in the EU is best for the UK and although I can`t change the vote I can relocate to Ireland which I intend doing with my family next year as I don`t want any part of johnson`s UK.

itll probably be on in wetherspoons on sky news, a fitting venue for it.

Knock yourself out I suppose.
    Maybe they'll put up a few Union jacks and bunting for their patrons given the evening that's in it!:pac:

Unfortunately, doesn't look like they are running below "Brexit Celebrations" price promotion in Ireland:

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/news/2020/01/lets-stay-friends

edit:

Am laughing and joking, but it is a sad day really.

For any Brexiter words of friendship, it marks the official start of a whole new chapter of acrimony & mistrust between the UK and Germany/France etc, and unless there's a miracle, the UK and ourselves. The next year or so could end up being some shít show.

I know you don`t swallow everything the EU says(as shown with your earlier reaction to comments made by Guy Verhofstadt).
    I don`t think I should have to quote any posts,it`s just my opinion,the same as I`m also troubled by gung-ho brexiteers posting rubbish or people defending sinn fein councillors who judge people`s sexuality.
    I stand by my opinion remaining in the EU is best for the UK and although I can`t change the vote I can relocate to Ireland which I intend doing with my family next year as I don`t want any part of johnson`s UK.

For the second time, you don't have to quote anything but erecting a strawman like that is just a bit silly.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem is that the union was founded on bringing a lasting peace to Europe after decades of warring factions continually pulled the continent apart, ending in the most devastating war the world has ever seen. Part of Maastricht was an effort to see away with armies and military might being used to settle scores.

Verhofstadt's nonsense sounds dangerous not only to Eurosceptics, but also people who are pro-EU, as that is absolutely not what was envisaged in the early 90's.

But, Verhofstadt isn't the EU, despite him being continually used by those who want to denigrate it. His words don't represent the union any more than Nigel Farage's did.

He's just a "guy" who works there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tony EH wrote:
    He's just a "guy" who works there.

Well he's a bit more than that but he has always been outspoken and he enjoys playing that role.

He's a handy bogeyman for the Brexiteers to quote but he is seen as a bit of a maverick and he certainly doesn't run the show. The people "who work there" are too busy dealing with today's real issues to be plotting how to build European armies or forcing countries into a federation.

Advertisement