Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hazel and John have their work cut out. Just looking at the facebook page and its people constantly asking "when will my area be surveyed".

I understand the fear of over promising and under delivering but I think rough dates may help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

joe123 wrote: »
    Hazel and John have their work cut out. Just looking at the facebook page and its people constantly asking "when will my area be surveyed".

I understand the fear of over promising and under delivering but I think rough dates may help here.

You can't rough date anything until you've at least a phase under your belt

Peoples expectations are ridiculous at this early point. Notification of survey is enough right now and you can sign up for that.

listermint wrote: »
    You can't rough date anything until you've at least a phase under your belt

Peoples expectations are ridiculous at this early point. Notification of survey is enough right now and you can sign up for that.

People wondering when their county/area will be surveyed is not something I would call ridiculous to be honest. Also doesn't help people reading their county has been surveyed yet only mention specific towns. It gets people asking more questions if anything.

I do understand they dont want to say X date and then for them to miss that by a large margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

People wondering when their county/area will be surveyed is not something I would call ridiculous to be honest. Also doesn't help people reading their county has been surveyed yet only mention specific towns. It gets people asking more questions if anything.

I do understand they dont want to say X date and then for them to miss that by a large margin.

Yep. I'm left wondering is it Wexford town or all of Wexford is due to be surveyed soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I thought Kilkenny was to be in first group to be done but not a mention of it now.

It is ridiculous. They can't tell you because they don't know. They'll be better able to approximate when they've a phase complete .

I don't know why that's difficult to understand

listermint wrote: »
    It is ridiculous. They can't tell you because they don't know. They'll be better able to approximate when they've a phase complete .

I don't know why that's difficult to understand

Lol calm down. No one is putting a gun to their head asking for a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

The fact that the survey was not done before the contract was signed makes no sense to me surely they would want to know the extent of the project before signing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

Why is a survey even needed. Surely OpenEir can give them this information. If they can't then what does this say about OpenEir.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

user1842 wrote: »
    Why is a survey even needed. Surely OpenEir can give them this information. If they can't then what does this say about OpenEir.

It says that they don't know what's involved in connecting fibre to premises where open eir haven't built a fibre network. Which, when you think about it, is kinda reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Following to be found in source code relating to map enquiries on NBI website.(slightly tidied up for readability)
    DEFAULT:
    title: 'Premises Pending Survey',
    description: ‘Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.
    Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for high speed fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course.’
    ctaButtonText: 'KEEP UP TO DATE',
    infoWindowText: 'Your premises is included in the Intervention Area.'
    OUTSIDE_IA:
    title: 'Not in Intervention Area',
    description: “Internet service providers have indicated they offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality.
    If you believe your premises qualifies to be included in the Intervention Area, click below to find out more.
    ctaButtonText: 'FIND OUT MORE',
    infoWindowText: ’Your premises is not in the Intervention Area, as other service providers operate there.'
    SURVEY_PENDING:
    title: 'Premises Pending Survey',
    description: “Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.
    Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for high speed fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course.”
    infoWindowText: 'Your premises is included in the Intervention Area.'
    SURVEY_PLANNED:
    title: 'Survey Planned',
    description: “Your premises is in the Intervention Area and your locality and existing infastructure will be surveyed soon. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.”,
    infoWindowText: 'High Speed Fibre Broadband is on its way to your area.'
    SURVEY_UNDERWAY:
    title: 'Surveying Underway',
    description: “Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.”
    infoWindowText: 'High Speed Fibre Broadband is on its way to your area.'
    NETWORK_BUILD_IN_PROGRESS:
    title: 'Network Build in Progress',
    description: “Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.
    infoWindowText: 'High Speed Fibre Broadband Coming Soon!'
    AVAILABLE_TO_PRE_ORDER:
    title: 'Available to Pre-Order'
    description: Your premises is in the Intervention Area and high speed fibre broadband can be pre-ordered now.
    ctaText: 'Pre-Order Now through one of the local providers in your area',
    ctaButtonText: 'PRE-ORDER NOW',
    infoWindowText: 'Great News! High Speed Fibre Broadband available to pre-order now.'
    AVAILABLE_TO_ORDER:
    title: 'Available to Order Now',
    description: “Your premises is in the Intervention Area and high speed fibre broadband can be ordered now.”
    ctaText: 'Order Now through one of the local providers in your area',
    ctaButtonText: 'ORDER NOW',
    infoWindowText: 'Great News! High Speed Fibre Broadband now available to order.'
    READY_FOR_SERVICE:
    title: 'High Speed Fibre Broadband now available',
    description: ‘Your premises is in the Intervention Area and can be connected to the new high speed fibre network now.’
    ctaText: 'Order Now through one of the local providers in your area',
    ctaButtonText: 'ORDER NOW',
    infoWindowText: 'Great News! High Speed Fibre Broadband available to order now.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It says that they don't know what's involved in connecting fibre to premises where open eir haven't built a fibre network. Which, when you think about it, is kinda reasonable.

Well I hope they do know, it's their job and should have proved this via the tender. NBI should be hanging fibre now. OpenEir have all these details. Something smells fishy with this surveying, could be a ploy to get more money or to get out of the tender.

Well I hope they do know, it's their job and should have proved this via the tender. NBI should be hanging fibre now. OpenEir have all these details. Something smells fishy with this surveying, could be a ploy to get more money or to get out of the tender.

Oh Jesus.......

No words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Why would you just expect Openeir to share any of their info?

They're surveying because that's what's needed to gather info and build a plan before your start a project like this.

This reminds me of you

But still why would you not do this process before submitting the tender how tf did they even know how much it would cost if they have no idea on the actual amount of work needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    But still why would you not do this process before submitting the tender how tf did they even know how much it would cost if they have no idea on the actual amount of work needed

Estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Because it takes thousands of man hours and costs a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Erh .... no .... they are well within their timetable and roadmap, as they outlined as part of signing the contract and to for example providers in the initial presentation sessions.

That you aren't happy with the progress made is non of their concern.

The only places likely to see connections this year are Carrigaline and Galway. Anyone else will have to see how that pilot phase goes.

/M

Desktop surveys were done. This is actual feet on the ground. And no, you don't do actual feet on the ground before you know, there is somebody to pay for it. The loss would be bankruptcy style big, if you then didn't win the tender.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Desktop surveys were done. This is actual feet on the ground. And no, you don't do actual feet on the ground before you know, there is somebody to pay for it. The loss would be bankruptcy style big, if you then didn't win the tender.

/M

Is it possible the costs could be substantially more than estimated then and who would foot that bill?

Is it possible the costs could be substantially more than estimated then and who would foot that bill?

The NBP subsidy is fixed, no additional funds will come from the exchequer, NBI will be using investor cash and cashflow generated as it rolls out the network. The faster it rolls out the network the sooner it generates income.

This is finance business. Not all of the money comes from the tax-payer. It always is a play of cards (external investors footing the difference).

But the fact of life is, that nobody wants to get wet too much at the start. And everybody wants a piece of the cake in the end. Doing the physical surveys before having a signed contract would be financial suicide.

Give you an real life simple example: No fixed wireless ISP, unless they're stuck for business, will survey you first without you having signed up. It's a waste of time. They will not charge you on a fail, but they won't come out without a agreed contract. Fact. Same story.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Researchers in Australia have set a new internet speed record of 44.2 terabits per second using a "micro-comb" of infrared lasers via optical fibre.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/internet-speed-world-record-fastest-download-a9527236.html
    World’s fastest internet speed sees download speeds 1 million times faster than current broadband
    A rate of 44 terabits per second is fast enough to download 1,000 HD films in a single second

• Anthony Cuthbertson
    @ADCuthbertson
    • 1 day ago

Researchers in Australia have achieved a world record internet speed of 44.2 terabits per second, allowing users to download 1,000 HD movies in a single second.
    A team from Monash, Swinburne and RMIT universities used a “micro-comb” optical chip containing hundreds of infrared lasers to transfer data across existing communications infrastructure in Melbourne.

The highest commercial internet speed anywhere in the world is currently in Singapore, where the average download speed is 197.3 megabits per second (mbps).
    In Australia, the average download speed is 43.4 mbps – 1 million times slower than the speeds achieved in the latest test.

“There’s a bit of a global race on at the moment to get this technology to a commercial stage, as the micro-comb at its heart is useful in a really broad range of existing technologies,” Dr Bill Corcoran from Monash University, told The Independent.

“I’d guess that we could see devices like ours available to research labs in two to three years, and initial commercial use in about five years.”

The coronavirus lockdown has placed significant strain on internet infrastructure in recent months. In Europe, streaming providers were asked to degrade their services in March in order to cope with increased traffic. Netflix and YouTube were among those who agreed to reduce picture quality for users.

Implementing the micro-comb device would alleviate this problem, according to the researchers.
    “In the UK, daytime data demands have more than doubled, and there have been special efforts to make sure that connections are reliable,” said Dr Corcoran.

“What this extra usage gives us is a sneak-peek at capacity issues networks will see in just a few years time – especially as we start bringing on line data hungry tech such as 5G, self-driving cars and the ‘internet of things’ more broadly.

“So, we’re going to need new compact technologies like our fingernail-sized device to expand the data carrying capacity of our networks gracefully – to reduce space and power consumption, as well as costs, while increasing overall data rates. Our demonstration also shows that the device we produced is compatible with the optical fibre infrastructure that is already in place.”

The findings were published in the journal Nature Communications on Friday.
    Once you have a Fibre optic connection to your premises the opportunities are endless and in 5 - 10 years time this new speed record will seem obsolete. The vested interests with their outdated wireless technology and 4+5G would have you believe that wireless is the only option still.

Fibre is the future and has been for the last 15-20 years but it is only now we are catching on despite the best efforts of vested interests. The National Broadband Plan is the 21st centuries Rural Electrification in terms of societal and cultural influence it will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yep. I'm left wondering is it Wexford town or all of Wexford is due to be surveyed soon.
    NBI are nearly finished their surveys in Wexford. Check the DCCAE website for the areas that are due to be covered. It's unlikely that Wexford town will have much of an intervention area as SIRO is available along with FTTC options at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

NBI are nearly finished their surveys in Wexford. Check the DCCAE website for the areas that are due to be covered. It's unlikely that Wexford town will have much of an intervention area as SIRO is available along with FTTC options at the very least.

Is there a list or do you just mean have a look at the amber areas on the map? I know wexford town won't have much but it might be a built out from an exchange in the town itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is there a list or do you just mean have a look at the amber areas on the map? I know wexford town won't have much but it might be a built out from an exchange in the town itself.
    Yep, just look at the amber areas. I haven't seen a schedule for what areas will be covered unfortunately. There was a post in another thread about OLT locations throughout the country with the thought being that being closer to an OLT location could mean being connected sooner but I don't know if that's going to be the case. Wexford had 7 OLT locations: Ballycarney, Ballynabola, Fethard, Hollyfort, Monamolin, Tomhaggard and Wexford

Found it:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

On OLTs, this from NBI's documentation

Deployment Areas

The NBI network is designed around approximately 227* deployment areas. Each Deployment Area is designed as an Optical Line Termination (OLT) unit location providing services to the premises within a defined geographic region served by the OLT. The traffic from the OLT regions is consolidated at 33 regional aggregation locations defined as Points of Handover (PoH). Depending on the Service Provider’s setup, the Service Provider can interconnect with NBI at a regional PoH level and the traffic is handed over at the specified regional PoH, or, alternatively, NBI can carry traffic from these regional PoHs to two national PoH locations where a Service Provider can interconnect at a national level.

* The actual number of OLT's may change over the project as LLD's complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having two nationals is good, most resellers couldnt peer at 33 POPs, but thats assuming traffic costs to those two regionals arent extortionate.

• Advertisement

With a few areas now showing on the NBI's map as "Surveying Underway" with an anticipated date of Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 as a date, I'm wondering am I being overly optimistic to expect Fibre in 2021 sometime for my own area?

Its down as premises pending survey but speaking with NBI reps, they confirmed that surveying had taken place in my area recently and will be updating the map soon.

Considering they havent started in other counties yet, I'm thinking this could be a positive sign?

Advertisement