Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Arghus wrote: »
    Well, according to himself, Mike Cubbard is going to be poster free. So if he's as good as his word I'll give him a vote.

He was poster free in the last local election and topped the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

amiable wrote: »

O’Tuathail feeling he was too good for local council will cost him.
    I actually like that he didn't run for the locals if he intended to go for the general. I don't like the system of getting elected locally with the sole intention of jumping ship as soon as something "better" comes along. Very disingenuous. Local councillors shouldn't just be failed national level politicians with one eye on the door.

But I do agree it'll probably cost him

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

O’Reilly will hold up any hope of getting a ring road built.

As with Crowe, it's outside any TDs hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

xckjoo wrote: »
    I actually like that he didn't run for the locals if he intended to go for the general. I don't like the system of getting elected locally with the sole intention of jumping ship as soon as something "better" comes along. Very disingenuous. Local councillors shouldn't just be failed national level politicians with one eye on the door.

But I do agree it'll probably cost him

His letter in the newspaper around the time of the locals saying he wasn't running irked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I presume O’Tuathail would have run in the centre ward had he ran? He would have been elected and the green councillor wouldn’t have, the soc dems would have two councillors instead the greens have two. Bit naive that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the problem is that for many people it gave off an air of "I'm too good for the Council". Not saying I believe that, but I think it did him more harm than good abstaining after he had such a decent showing last time around. I think his moment has come and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I presume O’Tuathail would have run in the centre ward had he ran? He would have been elected and the green councillor wouldn’t have, the soc dems would have two councillors instead the greens have two. Bit naive that.

West ward

Homelander wrote: »
    I think the problem is that for many people it gave off an air of "I'm too good for the Council". Not saying I believe that, but I think it did him more harm than good abstaining after he had such a decent showing last time around. I think his moment has come and gone.
    I believe he spends a lot of time working in England so being a councillor wouldn’t have suited.

Triangle wrote: »
    As with Crowe, it's outside any TDs hands now.

While I sincerely doubt Crowe can get the road built, it will be possible for people to delay it being built in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I believe he spends a lot of time working in England so being a councillor wouldn’t have suited.

And it's going to suit working as a TD better? Or he is on the record to say he's going to give the job up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

While I sincerely doubt Crowe can get the road built, it will be possible for people to delay it being built in my opinion

There is no doubt Crowe has very little influence here unless we have a FG/FF coalition, but it is anyhow policy from both these main partys regardless if Crowe gets a seat or not to build the City Ring Road.
    It could be stopped if NO money is available. Can be a condition of a Program for Gov. A party could say want 50/50 split of money towards roads v's public transport /walking/cycling. Currently its skewed towards road building.

However it has not even passed through the planning process yet, could have a NEW Goverment come and go by the time that happens that pace it is currently been done at.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    And it's going to suit working as a TD better? Or he is on the record to say he's going to give the job up?

I would imagine it’s a given he’ll leave his job if elected

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

Think Kyne will loose a lot of votes in Moycullen, Oughterard area can he still get a seat without those ?
    He was canvassing in Knocknacarra so they must not have designated that area for Naughton.
    Cuiv I expect will get elected but cant see Martin giving him a good position if in gov.
    Dissapointed we dont seem to have a very strong candidate who I feel would get to do a lot of good work in the Dail.

ax530 wrote: »
    Think Kyne will loose a lot of votes in Moycullen, Oughterard area can he still get a seat without those ?
    He was canvassing in Knocknacarra so they must not have designated that area for Naughton.
    Cuiv I expect will get elected but cant see Martin giving him a good position if in gov.
    Dissapointed we dont seem to have a very strong candidate who I feel would get to do a lot of good work in the Dail.
    I saw Naughton twice this week in Knocknacarra canvassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Arghus wrote: »
    Well, according to himself, Mike Cubbard is going to be poster free. So if he's as good as his word I'll give him a vote.

Fair dues to mike. I’ve never seen so many posters for one person anywhere in the country as I have seen for Ollie Crowe this week. They’re absolutely everywhere! I was hoping that candidates would have the cop on to limit their garbage somewhat in this day and age where the environment is such a hot topic. As far as I’ve heard they’re not recyclable which makes it even more infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I saw Naughton twice this week in Knocknacarra canvassing
    Was she lost? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Joe Loughanne anyone?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

holly8 wrote: »

I can just imagine his social media reaction after he is eliminated after the first or second count, screaming that the ingrained racism of the Galway public went against him and that he was the only candidate with integrity...lol (you got tegridy!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hopefully not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

His poster makes me think he'd be better off on the RTE Angelus than the Galway West election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Bredabe

telekon wrote: »
    Fair dues to mike. I’ve never seen so many posters for one person anywhere in the country as I have seen for Ollie Crowe this week. They’re absolutely everywhere! I was hoping that candidates would have the cop on to limit their garbage somewhat in this day and age where the environment is such a hot topic. As far as I’ve heard they’re not recyclable which makes it even more infuriating.

One of his large poster's on legs types just outside my colleague's bedroom. No nookie for her since she has seen the poster, she finds it.......'off putting':D

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

His poster makes me think he'd be better off on the RTE Angelus than the Galway West election.

Not with this type of language

https://youtu.be/1gkiGUBAM7g

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

spurshero wrote: »
    Good one . You should be on stage in the town hall .

so should crowe with his comedy act

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Yep it's a bit pathetic. Maybe some of the electorate would fall for it but I find it patronising.

sure Frank "fianna fail" fahy had a huge election sign at corrib great southern site 8 years ago claiming responsibility for bringing the road to Galway, they have a serious neck those fianna fail bull****ters

Not with this type of language

https://youtu.be/1gkiGUBAM7g

I saw this actually the other day as well. Seems pretty shockingly incompatible with his normal public persona, he's intense and ideas might not be for everyone but usually seems decent enough.

https://gript.ie/anti-racism-activist-who-called-grealish-a-racist-has-long-record-of-abusive-behaviour/

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

Gript media... Right up there with the Liberal as a top quality news site :rolleyes:

OK? What's the implication, it's either an irrelevant comment, or else the implication that it's not really Joe Loughnane in that article.

I can assure you I don't get my daily (or any) news from Gript, but I thought that was an interesting article.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

How many houses do the Crowes lease back to the Council?
    How much are they making each month from the State via HAP and other state subsidies?

As for the bypass himself and his brother have been sitting on the council for the majority of the last 20 years and have done nothing about it.
    Almost half of that time FF where in power. They even had Frank Fahey as a junior minister but did **** all. Crowe seems to have also discovered Facebook ads and is spending a decent amount on sponsored posts. The only candidate i can see that is paying for ads on Facebook.

More accurately they didn't have the pull within FF do get Galway related stuff on the table.
    o'cuiv is the only one in FF with any pull but hes happy fixing the roads in West Connemara and saying a cuplea focal. Micheal martin is no fan anyways so if FF are returned o'cuiv might be sidelined.
    So a vote for FF is a waste.

The same goes for Naughton and Kyne in FG. What have they delivered for Galway?
    Hildigarde and especially Kyne have been ghosts the last 4 years.
    These two have done nothing for Galway in last 4 years, so another wasted vote.

Grealish is an opportunist gombeen happy out in oranmore.

Labour seem to have collapsed in galway city. Micheal D's daughter was supposed to take the reigns but has done nothing.
    Mcnellis seems to be a token effort by running.

The shinners ive no time for.

Cubbard seems to be the only local politician that appears to want to get stuff done and improves peoples lot. His social media game is top notch.

Social Democrats will get my No.1. Only party with policies that appeal to me. 2nd maybe to the greens.
    Im surprised the SocDems arent doing better in the city as i had assumed we are a hip and progressive place. lol

This country/City doesn't need another landlord/auctioneer/publican/teacher in Dail Eireann. Nothing changes. Can people accept this and actually think about their vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I saw this actually the other day as well. Seems pretty shockingly incompatible with his normal public persona, he's intense and ideas might not be for everyone but usually seems decent enough.

https://gript.ie/anti-racism-activist-who-called-grealish-a-racist-has-long-record-of-abusive-behaviour/

Just look at who and what keeps Joe Loughnane and his past antics in the media...all.persons far more extreme and scarier than JL ever will be ... it is having the opposite effect on me though, I might actually vote for him! Well impressed with his ability to protest, organise and his passion at the last GARM protest.

Love his Angelus-like election posters too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

flynnlives wrote: »
    More accurately they didn't have the pull within FF do get Galway related stuff on the table.
    o'cuiv is the only one in FF with any pull but hes happy fixing the roads in West Connemara and saying a cuplea focal. Micheal martin is no fan anyways so if FF are returned o'cuiv might be sidelined.

True - unless FF go into Goverment with SF in the end? O Cuiv has been one of the main proponents of this within FF

Advertisement