Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Went for a spin through Galway today, Ollie could build the bypass out of all the posters he has. No pole left behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

lion_bar wrote: »
    Went for a spin through Galway today, Ollie could build the bypass out of all the posters he has. No pole left behind!!

If I had a head like him I would be keeping the posters a fair bit smaller :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Homelander wrote: »
    I really don't understand how Mairead Farrell's odds are so radically better than Niall O Tuthail's. She couldn't even hold onto a council seat.

Trevor O Clochartaigh's vote in 2016 was as much to do with him as it was Sinn Fein.

Farrell hasn't a hope on hell of getting a seat. I think she'll do very badly. Even the SF supporters in Galway know that she hasn't a hope. I doubt she will get 2000 FPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Drove through Oughterard today and I have to hand it to Grealish in that he knows how to jump on a bandwaggon. Large signs up wishing good luck to the team in the All Ireland final. He must have gone down to Kerry for the Healy-Rae Politics school during the Dail summer holidays majoring on parish pump politics.
    He is some operator for scrounging out any possible vote come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What a gowl he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Homelander wrote: »
    I really don't understand how Mairead Farrell's odds are so radically better than Niall O Tuthail's. She couldn't even hold onto a council seat.

Trevor O Clochartaigh's vote in 2016 was as much to do with him as it was Sinn Fein.

She's the Sinn Féin person at a time when Sinn Féin are miles ahead of the SocDems in the polls. A lot of people will vote for her because she's Sinn Féin, without knowing much about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

beerguts wrote: »
    Drove through Oughterard today and I have to hand it to Grealish in that he knows how to jump on a bandwaggon. Large signs up wishing good luck to the team in the All Ireland final. He must have gone down to Kerry for the Healy-Rae Politics school during the Dail summer holidays majoring on parish pump politics.

I drove through Oughterard as well today and he is not the only one to have signs up Eamon O Cuiv and Ollie Crowe were doing the same thing

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I drove through Oughterard as well today and he is not the only one to have signs up Eamon O Cuiv and Ollie Crowe were doing the same thing

Didn't see them to be honest. I'll have a look out for them tomorrow on the way to work. Grealish's had a stark white background and it just caught the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Sure he was in Croke park yesterday ! A bandwagoner if there was ever one . He’s also a so called independent that has voted for this Fine Gael government on all occasions and also voted for the Fianna Fáil government previous on all occasions . But for some reason people never see this . So just remember when voting that he has voted for every cutback that has happened in the last 15 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Didn't see them to be honest. I'll have a look out for them tomorrow on the way to work. Grealish's had a stark white background and it just caught the eye

Single signs with the two of them on them

• Advertisement

He had a large poster in Oughterard in 2016 too.

spurshero wrote: »
    Sure he was in Croke park yesterday ! A bandwagoner if there was ever one . He’s also a so called independent that has voted for this Fine Gael government on all occasions and also voted for the Fianna Fáil government previous on all occasions . But for some reason people never see this . So just remember when voting that he has voted for every cutback that has happened in the last 15 years .

In fairness I don't have a preference for any candidate in Galway west. I think that stems from the main party manifestos that are promising large public spending increases and tax breaks for all again(Once bitten, twice shy)

I would love to see one of the parties have a detailed plan of action for things like insurance and property reform that would leave people with more disposable income. The big three all touch on these issues but I don't believe any can follow through.

Also I cant bring myself to vote green, its not that I think they have bad policies, some of their ideas have merit, but if some of their policies were to severely hurt rural Ireland their too ideologically set in stone to soften any blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheShepard

I know Ollie, never needed him for any reason but I know what he is like and I for one wont be voting for the man. Has done literally nothing since joining the council in 2009 and very lucky to get in the 2nd time.
    FF is all that will get him the votes and unfortunately that's nearly just as bad.

Its been FF backing FG and now they are attacking each other for votes to get their party in charge. Its blind leading the blind.

People would be very naive to think one is better than the other. Until those partys are not in charge, there will be no significant changes in my opinion.

Vote wisely is all I'd say and on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

TheShepard wrote: »
    I know Ollie, never needed him for any reason but I know what he is like and I for one wont be voting for the man. Has done literally nothing since joining the council in 2009 and very lucky to get in the 2nd time.
    FF is all that will get him the votes and unfortunately that's nearly just as bad.

Its been FF backing FG and now they are attacking each other for votes to get their party in charge. Its blind leading the blind.

People would be very naive to think one is better than the other. Until those partys are not in charge, there will be no significant changes in my opinion.

Vote wisely is all I'd say and on merit.

From what I’ve seen and heard recently in Galway, he is getting a seat. The left need to align, and there is one party that pretends to be left that isn’t

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

amiable wrote: »
    From what I’ve seen and heard recently in Galway, he is getting a seat. The left need to align, and there is one party that pretends to be left that isn’t

Very cryptic! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bad decision by O’Reilly to attack Cubbard over his mayoral trips abroad. Not saying she hasn’t a point but wouldn’t be doing it few weeks before election, I see he defended himself on Facebook and all his supporters are slating her.

If she’s ahead of him, potentially cost herself quite a few transfers that could make the difference between being elected and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭zell12

At least one is pointing out their Dáil record, they are a national representative after all
    Nl9tQzY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Bad decision by O’Reilly to attack Cubbard over his mayoral trips abroad. Not saying she hasn’t a point but wouldn’t be doing it few weeks before election, I see he defended himself on Facebook and all his supporters are slating her.

If she’s ahead of him, potentially cost herself quite a few transfers that could make the difference between being elected and not.

I had a lot of time for her, but having a go at a man leaving a meeting to go see his kids, ahead of going on a promotional visit put me off.

I know female rep's have been criticized for leaving the chambers ahead of the close b/c of child care issues, but that to my mind, means she should have been more understanding not less.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

zell12 wrote: »
    At least one is pointing out their Dáil record, they are a national representative after all

Wow that is a lot of Dail questions (1627). Hard working politician.

I know!
    She does not get the recognition she deserves, in fact I'd rate her as the best Dáil contributor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Zzippy wrote: »
    Very cryptic! ;)

I didn’t intend to be. I believe the Green Party aren’t a left party.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I had a lot of time for her, but having a go at a man leaving a meeting to go see his kids, ahead of going on a promotional visit put me off.

I know female rep's have been criticized for leaving the chambers ahead of the close b/c of child care issues, but that to my mind, means she should have been more understanding not less.

The mayor just walked out of the meeting. He didn't tell them where he was going. He didn't say he was going to see the kids before going on a trip. If he had I don't think anyone would have had an issue with it.

I would have thought it common sense to offer apologies when leaving a meeting early?

ClanofLams wrote: »

It wasn't O'Reilly who criticised him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

lion_bar wrote: »
    The mayor just walked out of the meeting. He didn't tell them where he was going. He didn't say he was going to see the kids before going on a trip. If he had I don't think anyone would have had an issue with it.

I would have thought it common sense to offer apologies when leaving a meeting early?
    His own account on his fb page disputes what you say, as he had organised an ex mayor to take over the remainder of the meeting, its not like he just walked out leaving them hanging.
    As a causal reader of his page I knew he was going to china around that time, so I would be shocked if his colleagues on the council didnt as well.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

She does excellent work in the Dáil, incredibly good speaker and really good work on the committees too. She would get a vote from me.

She's probably the best TD in Galway in terms of doing what TD's are actually supposed to do.

The problem is the lack of coverage. She doesn't court the media/press at all. And people might see her as not doing enough locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

O'Reilly's odds have shortened significantly in the last week. Having said that bookies look to have EOC, Grealish, Kyne, Hilda and Connolly as significant favourites. Can anyone see past these five?

Wombatman wrote: »
    O'Reilly's odds have shortened significantly in the last week. Having said that bookies look to have EOC, Grealish, Kyne, Hilda and Connolly as significant favourites. Can anyone see past these five?

I don't think Galway West has ever returned the same TDs from a previous election. It's a volatile constituency.

Wombatman wrote: »
    I can see Crowe getting in, based on OCuiv's surplus and all them posters. Postering does work unfortunately.
    O'Reilly is a possibility based on voter's desire for change

Bredabe wrote: »
    His own account on his fb page disputes what you say, as he had organised an ex mayor to take over the remainder of the meeting, its not like he just walked out leaving them hanging.
    As a causal reader of his page I knew he was going to china around that time, so I would be shocked if his colleagues on the council didnt as well.

So if you were leaving a meeting early would you not apologise and explain where you were going to your colleagues?

Assuming everyone knows something leads to situations like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

zell12 wrote: »
    I can see Crowe getting in, based on OCuiv's surplus and all them posters. Postering does work unfortunately.
    O'Reilly is a possibility based on voter's desire for change

O'Cuiv won't have a surplus, and might only get over the line when Crowe is eliminated.

Advertisement