Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bredabe wrote: »
    Had canvassers call for hildegard when I was in houses in salthill and knocknacarra,
    canvassers for what's his name in moycullen, I hear he had a team in maam as well.

Salthill and knocknacarra would be her area, Newcastle back west would be his.
    A team in maam? Haha Hardly the most densley populated area in Galway.
    What size"team "had he?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I hear he is going to build the bypass with his own bare hands.

Worst election pitch ever. It's tied up with An Bord Pleanala and completely outside any politicians hands, but sure, vote this lad in and he'll magically sort it all out.

And not even in a sort of "sort out the bypass" way - literally his slogan is just "build the bypass", as if everyone else has mysteriously lost interest other than him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Homelander wrote: »
    Worst election pitch ever. It's tied up with An Bord Pleanala and completely outside any politicians hands, but sure, vote this lad in and he'll magically sort it all out.

And not even in a sort of "sort out the bypass" way - literally his slogan is just "build the bypass", as if everyone else has mysteriously lost interest other than him.

Yep it's a bit pathetic. Maybe some of the electorate would fall for it but I find it patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Bullocks wrote: »
    Salthill and knocknacarra would be her area, Newcastle back west would be his.
    A team in maam? Haha Hardly the most densley populated area in Galway.
    What size"team "had he?

They were each m/w teams.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

zell12 wrote: »
    PaddyPower odds 21/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.13
    Grealish Noel 1.14
    Kyne Séan 1.20
    Connolly Catherine 1.25
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.57
    Crowe Ollie 2.50
    O'Reilly Pauline 3.50
    Cubbard Mike 4.00
    Farrell Mairead 7.00
    McNelis Niall 9.00
    O'Tuathail Niall 13.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 26.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00

There seems to be a consensus on here that O'Cuív, Grealish and Kyne are bankers for the first 3 seats, but I would have my doubts regarding Kyne. He isn't that popular in the west of county between Maam, Oughterard and Moycullen which should be his heartlands for votes.
    The Oughterard direct provision fiasco where he took the brunt of the ire from the protestors and the pending glut of social housing for Moycullen have made him deeply unpopular with some voters. These issues are very specific to these areas and I think he might struggle.
    Anybody have any views on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Farrell hasn’t a hope in my opinion. Didn’t do enough as a councillor.

Hildegarde’s launch had a very low turnout and in real danger.

Grealish is likely to be close to topping the poll.

Kyne will keep his seat with ease.

As will O’Cuiv.

O’Tuathail feeling he was too good for local council will cost him.

McNelis is probably in the wrong party to have a chance.

Connolly very good a national level politics but hasn’t been visible in Galway which may cost her.

O’Reilly will hold up any hope of getting a ring road built.

Cubbard seems a really good guy but probably doesn’t have the profile outside his core area. One to watch at next General Election I feel.

Crowe going down the Trump route of three word slogans and throwing money at it and it might just work unfortunately.

PaddyPower odds 21/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.13
    Grealish Noel 1.14
    Kyne Séan 1.20
    Connolly Catherine 1.25
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.57
    Crowe Ollie 2.50
    O'Reilly Pauline 3.50
    Cubbard Mike 4.00
    Farrell Mairead 7.00
    McNelis Niall 9.00
    O'Tuathail Niall 13.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 26.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

beerguts wrote: »
    There seems to be a consensus on here that O'Cuív, Grealish and Kyne are bankers for the first 3 seats, but I would have my doubts regarding Kyne. He isn't that popular in the west of county between Maam, Oughterard and Moycullen which should be his heartlands for votes.
    The Oughterard direct provision fiasco where he took the brunt of the ire from the protestors and the pending glut of social housing for Moycullen have made him deeply unpopular with some voters. These issues are very specific to these areas and I think he might struggle.

I'd say Kyne will be re-elected for sure but unfortunately for Galway he's not cabinet material so he'll never hold any influence. Galway needs influence to get a new road/hospital.... we've been ignored for years when you look at the likes of Limerick and Cork.

I'd say the only hope for a cabinet minister in the west is O Cuiv if FF lead the next govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I'd say Kyne will be re-elected for sure but unfortunately for Galway he's not cabinet material so he'll never hold any influence. Galway needs influence to get a new road/hospital.... we've been ignored for years when you look at the likes of Limerick and Cork.

I'd say the only hope for a cabinet minister in the west is O Cuiv if FF lead the next govt.

A TD with a prominent cabinet ministerial role is needed for Galway West. Have doubts weither O'Cuiv would get anything other than arts or Gaeltacht TBH

A TD with a prominent cabinet ministerial role is needed for Galway West. Have doubts weither O'Cuiv would get anything other than arts or Gaeltacht TBH

It still a place at the top table. It would be poor of M.Martin to ignore O Cuiv. Kyne won't get anything if FG get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

It still a place at the top table. It would be poor of M.Martin to ignore O Cuiv. Kyne won't get anything if FG get back in.

Did Martin nor sack ó Cuív before from the frontbench a couple of years ago due to trying to run a candidate in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Homelander

I doubt he could afford to snub him if FF got back into majority, would be a major bad move.

Did Martin nor sack ó Cuív before from the frontbench a couple of years ago due to trying to run a candidate in the North.

He couldn't ignore one of the most experienced politicians in the country. It would be bad form...imo.

I agree with you on Kyne. I don't think he'll be that popular in his hometown (Moycullen) or Oughterard/Connemara. I think Grealish will hoover up many of his votes and top the poll. I thought initially Kyne might lose his seat and Naughton would keep hers but I changed my prediction back to Kyne when I saw how messy it will be around Galway city with O'Reilly/Crowe/Farrell/Cubbard/O'Tuahail fighting it out. It will be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

He couldn't ignore one of the most experienced politicians in the country. It would be bad form...imo.

Of course he could . He's male pale and stale, and MM will be trying to modernize the party by promoting young talent. E O'Cuiv is sixty nine .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I agree with you on Kyne. I don't think he'll be that popular in his hometown (Moycullen) or Oughterard/Connemara. I think Grealish will hoover up many of his votes and top the poll. I thought initially Kyne might lose his seat and Naughton would keep hers but I changed my prediction back to Kyne when I saw how messy it will be around Galway city with O'Reilly/Crowe/Farrell/Cubbard/O'Tuahail fighting it out. It will be fascinating.

I also share your thoughts on Kyne. Look we all have our opinions on the whole Oughterard story, but I think he didn't come out of it all that well, particularly in the minds of potential voters in his home turf and nearby. Personally, I think Grealish was a scaremongering disgrace, but I've no doubt that what he said was more in line with what a lot of voters think and the perception is that Kyne talked down to people to an extent - and I think that could cost him. Maybe not to the extent of losing his seat, but I wouldn't take anything for granted if I were him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kyne will find it tough to get many votes locally after the direct provision job . I was surprised to see so many here saying that he will easily keep a seat , I would have thought he would struggle listening to locals lately . He got votes from alot of FF houses last time out too and they will be favouring FF back again this time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Bullocks wrote: »
    Kyne will find it tough to get many votes locally after the direct provision job . I was surprised to see so many here saying that he will easily keep a seat , I would have thought he would struggle listening to locals lately . He got votes from alot of FF houses last time out too and they will be favouring FF back again this time .

Cannot see that many out in Connemara doing that. Vast majority of available candidates to them are City Candidates as Snow Garden has pointed out? Catherine Connolly might be one of the few City candidates that will pick up votes in South Connemara. Have often heard her on Radio na Gaeltachta current affairs programs. Would also hear Sean Kyne and O Cuiv regularly as well, not many others.

Is the ex PD former Independent Cllr Tom Welby canvassing for the ex PD now Independent TD Noel Grealish in the Oughterard/Moycullen area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cannot see that many out in Connemara doing that. Vast majority of available candidates to them are City Candidates as Snow Garden has pointed out? Catherine Connolly might be one of the few City candidates that will pick up votes in South Connemara. Have often heard her on Radio na Gaeltachta current affairs programs. Would also hear Sean Kyne and O Cuiv regularly as well, not many others.

Is the ex PD former Independent Cllr Tom Welby canvassing for the ex PD now Independent TD Noel Grealish in the Oughterard/Moycullen area?

Yep, Welby, Cuddy, McDonnell, O'Flaherty and Lyons are all on his campaign literature backing him.

Yep, Welby, Cuddy, McDonnell, O'Flaherty and Lyons are all on his campaign literature backing him.

All former Progressive Democrats.

A flock of birds.
    A shoal of fish.

A ......... of PDs

what would be apt?

Last day to get on the ballot and on the registrar.

As it currently stands will have 15 candidates running (had 20 candidates in 2016 )

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All former Progressive Democrats.

A flock of birds.
    A shoal of fish.

A ......... of PDs

what would be apt?

Last day to get on the ballot and on the registrar.

As it currently stands will have 15 candidates running (had 20 candidates in 2016 )
    A privatisation of PDs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We do have a murder of crowes

I've seen some Leo posters torn on the ground in some parts of town. FG are not popular

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Shades of Frank Fahey there around 2010
    bypass_3.jpg
    Would Ollie Crowes billboards not fall under the same regulatory issues that Franks did 10 years ago??
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/fahey-defends-erecting-signs-in-support-of-galway-bypass-1.755898?mode=amp

Is any party supporting the Galway to Clifden cycle greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know where I can find the list of final candidates?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

The 15 that were listed yesterday under the paddy power odds are all the candidates

Wont be published officially until after end of todays business day (17h00) as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Those are the final 15 candidates.
    Let the fun begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'm really surprised with Cubbard's odds with PaddyPower (10/3). He's basically unknown outside the city.

I'd expect Farrell, McNelis & O'Tuathail all to finish above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The sitting TD’s who will fight to retain their seat are
    Fine Gael’s Seán Kyne and Hildegarde Naughton,
    Fianna Fáil’s Éamon Ó Cuív,
    and Independents Noel Grealish and Catherine Connolly.

The other candidates making a bid for a seat in the Dáil are
    Conor Burke for Solidarity,
    Joe Loughnane for People Before Profit,
    Cormac Ó Corcoráin for Aontú,
    Councillor Ollie Crowe for Fianna Fáil,
    Mairéad Farrell for Sinn Féin,
    Councillor Niall McNelis for The Labour Party,
    Councillor Pauline O’Reilly for Green Party,
    Niall Ó Tuatháil for Social Democrats,
    and Independents Councillor Mike Cubbard and Daragh O’Flaherty.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, according to himself, Mike Cubbard is going to be poster free. So if he's as good as his word I'll give him a vote.

Advertisement