Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

zell12 wrote: »
    I can see Crowe getting in, based on OCuiv's surplus and all them posters. Postering does work unfortunately

Excessive postering, as in Crowe’s case, makes me much less inclined to vote for that candidate. It’s extremely unkind to the environment and also takes the public for fools. We’re not so dumb that we need to see your face on every lamppost on Taylor’s Hill to know that you’re running for election. And his nonsense about getting the bypass built is also patronising. He hasn’t shown any particular interest in it in all the years he’s been on the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

amiable wrote: »
    I didn’t intend to be. I believe the Green Party aren’t a left party.

Agree on the economic side they are center right, hence why FG are worried about them taking some of those 2nd seats in Urban areas that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

lion_bar wrote: »
    It wasn't O'Reilly who criticised him though.

Unless I misread the advertiser she called his trip a ‘junket’.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Wombatman wrote: »
    O'Reilly's odds have shortened significantly in the last week. Having said that bookies look to have EOC, Grealish, Kyne, Hilda and Connolly as significant favourites. Can anyone see past these five?

Can't see FG retaining 2 seats.....Hilda in trouble. I hope she does better than Kyne but can't see it. SD or Greens for last seat??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Unless I misread the advertiser she called his trip a ‘junket’.

I think you did. It was Martina O'Connor in the article I read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Stewball

There's a TG4 opinion poll due someday this week. It should give us some idea who might take the 5th seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Stewball wrote: »
    There's a TG4 opinion poll due someday this week. It should give us some idea who might take the 5th seat.
    Dunno, it's been wrong before
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112347222&postcount=184

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Homelander wrote: »
    She does excellent work in the Dáil, incredibly good speaker and really good work on the committees too. She would get a vote from me.

She's probably the best TD in Galway in terms of doing what TD's are actually supposed to do.

The problem is the lack of coverage. She doesn't court the media/press at all. And people might see her as not doing enough locally.

Don't think she'll have any issues. She's increased her profile through her work in the Dail and has a core vote that won't shrink.

lion_bar wrote: »
    I think you did. It was Martina O'Connor in the article I read.

Ah you’re right, my apologies.

Well then she hasn’t done O’Reilly’s election chances any help with that move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't think she'll have any issues. She's increased her profile through her work in the Dail and has a core vote that won't shrink.

She doesn't court the media, so her hard work could be undone by lack of media exposure. I hope not. Much rather her than Kyne or Naughton, constantly putting out press releases claiming credit for any good local news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I can see Crowe getting in, based on OCuiv's surplus and all them posters. Postering does work unfortunately.
    O'Reilly is a possibility based on voter's desire for change

crowe has fairly shortened in the betting, i know him personally a decent man but i wont be voting FF back in any time soon. in saying that he is in contention for the final seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Bredabe wrote: »
    I had a lot of time for her, but having a go at a man leaving a meeting to go see his kids, ahead of going on a promotional visit put me off.

I know female rep's have been criticized for leaving the chambers ahead of the close b/c of child care issues, but that to my mind, means she should have been more understanding not less.

thought his wife and kids went with him on trip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zzippy wrote: »
    She doesn't court the media, so her hard work could be undone by lack of media exposure. I hope not. Much rather her than Kyne or Naughton, constantly putting out press releases claiming credit for any good local news.

She's been on The Tonight Show quite a lot over the last couple of years, possibly Rte's political programmes too. Id be surprised if she didnt get back in.

Connolly is also a regular on RnaG and TG4 current affairs.
    She has as much a profile there as OCuiv or Kyne

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

thought his wife and kids went with him on trip

Just one son I thought he said on Keith Finnegan call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Stewball wrote: »

Apparently they were pronouncing some of the names of the candidates incorrectly so a big health warning needed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Róisín Shorthall on Keith Finnegan show just now saying the Social Democrats policy would be to park the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Apparently they were pronouncing some of the names of the candidates incorrectly so a big health warning needed

Just one I read on social media... the fresh new star for Galway West - Ms Olive Crowe.

Leo Varadkar getting a soft interview on GBFM

Leo Varadkar getting a soft interview on GBFM

Very soft. Keith Finnegan is a joke.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Róisín Shorthall on Keith Finnegan show just now saying the Social Democrats policy would be to park the bypass.

:eek:

That will not help Niall one bit.

:eek:

That will not help Niall one bit.

He won't get in. Greens more likely to grab last seat.

Had a look at TG4 poll from four years ago, it was pretty far off, had Trevor O’Clochartaigh and John O’Mahony comfortably taking seats and Sean Kyne topping poll with O Cuiv.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/information/press/press-releases/2016-2/23-02-16/

:eek::eek: So who is losing their seats?
    https://twitter.com/NuachtTG4/status/1222160002728808448?s=20

Catherine Connolly and Hildegarde Naughton would be my guess, would take it with pinch of salt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Catherine Connolly and Hildegarde Naughton would be my guess, would take it with pinch of salt though.

Sure they had o Mahoney and Sinn Féin winnings seats in 2016 . Would take it with a large pinch of salt . I will be amazed if green and social d both win a seat . Maybe one but no way both in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheShepard

crowe has fairly shortened in the betting, i know him personally a decent man but i wont be voting FF back in any time soon. in saying that he is in contention for the final seat.

Hmm, decent used loosely.

Not a hope that Connolly will lose her seat.

Not a hope that Connolly will lose her seat.

Didn’t say she would, I was guessing the poll results. I doubt it has three left seats.

• Advertisement

Didn’t say she would, I was guessing the poll results. I doubt it has three left seats.

I wondered whether Connolly would lose her seat. But I think she was very impressive on Primetime last week. She is very present as opposed to Hilda or Kyne. She gets on TV a lot. I think she'll fly back in after the last week. Her record in the Dail is also hard to compete with.

I see new posters up today for Sean Kyne....the FG 2 seats are definitely on trouble. Hence Leo hanging around the city today.

Advertisement