Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I didn't really listen...given up on Sundays, but I went back and forth a few times from Gavan Reilly because I wanted to hear any analysis of the Brexit/Macron/Johnson story...waste of effort. The difference between BOC and GR's shows is ever widening. All guests on these shows come on with their own biases of course and it can end up with the same old voices, but GR's show has a bit of intelligent analysis. RTE may as well get D'Arsey or Baz to do the show at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cole wrote: »
    I didn't really listen...given up on Sundays, but I went back and forth a few times from Gavan Reilly because I wanted to hear any analysis of the Brexit/Macron/Johnson story...waste of effort. The difference between BOC and GR's shows is ever widening. All guests on these shows come on with their own biases of course and it can end up with the same old voices, but GR's show has a bit of intelligent analysis. RTE may as well get D'Arsey or Baz to do the show at this stage.

I wholeheartedly agree, and have turned the dial many months ago to GR. Fast paced, interesting topics and it just keeps my attention. Not perfect of course, but streets ahead of BOC.

The RTE show is rubbish now, totally boring and predictable. Newspaper panel, right, a bit of psychobabble to get us in a good mood of a Sunday, the TV for the week ahead, eh.... we can read thanks!

Same boring old formula every Sunday. Sorry to say, not an engaging show anymore at all.

Cole wrote: »

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m very open to counselling, I’ve done it myself, helps lots of people, blah blah blah- but does it have to feature every 10 minutes on Brendan’s show?! It’s the weekend FGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Christ almighty, Jason Byrne on with Ballsy now. His voice reminds me of Louis Walsh. Time to switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Radio on

Jason Byrne shouting about therapy with BOC sniggering along

Radio off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m very open to counselling, I’ve done it myself, helps lots of people, blah blah blah- but does it have to feature every 10 minutes on Brendan’s show?! It’s the weekend FGS!

This is like a fcuking parody at this stage. If a comedian came on and started spouting about covid-19/public health, they'd be shut down and told where to go (rightly so). But mental health...ah sure fire away there every tom, dick and harry comedian/singer/media 'personality' and tell us all how to deal with it.

RTE and the rest are so quick to defer to experts when discussing public health (and I agree), so how about having an actual clinician who knows about mental health to give out some advice, Brendan?

Larissa Nolan (who's admitted to having her own mental health issues) wrote a great piece on this trend in the Indo recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This is the first time I've listened to this show in months. It's dreary, predictable and boring.
    The mental health 'angle' is quite cynical really. It's quite appalling the amount of people trying to engineer a few quid out of it.
    Then there's just people who just think they're being relevant by talking about their 'struggles' It's really transparent and tiresome.
    Is the producer of this programme not a bit embarrassed when they have yet another guest on to talk about 'mindfulness' and mental health?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Expunge

An extensive infomercial for IT Carlow and their 'Digital Hustle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This is the first time I've listened to this show in months. It's dreary, predictable and boring.
    The mental health 'angle' is quite cynical really. It's quite appalling the amount of people trying to engineer a few quid out of it.
    Then there's just people who just think they're being relevant by talking about their 'struggles' It's really transparent and tiresome.
    Is the producer of this programme not a bit embarrassed when they have yet another guest on to talk about 'mindfulness' and mental health?

It's all very self indulgent. BOC seems to have a bit of a gra for it.

I have yet to hear a mental health advocate address medication and how benifical is can be. It's usually download my app, or come to my talk. A bit of mindfullness is not going to help anyone with major depression or bipolar disorder. Your looking at a course or maybe lifetime of SSRIs or Benzos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Christ almighty, Jason Byrne on with Ballsy now. His voice reminds me of Louis Walsh. Time to switch off.

Jason's opening remarks:

'I was in Scotland and I told a friend I was thinking of quitting stand-up and he said...'No, you can't do that...you're too good'.

Jason, when you say 'a friend', I think you mean a mirror don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Proof friends lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Jason's opening remarks:

'I was in Scotland and I told a friend I was thinking of quitting stand-up and he said...'No, you can't do that...you're too good'.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Proof friends lie.

Jason Byrne, 25 years making a living out of stand up.

Maybe, just maybe, he is good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I suppose comedy is like music, an acquired taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I find him totally unfunny personally, but each to their own.

The Beefy Show is boring me to distraction at this stage, I'm going to give Gavan a go tomorrow-I always found him a handy enough journo, even when he had to serve his penance on thejournal.ie, when he was starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

elperello wrote: »

Only for he's in the RTE golden circle he wouldn't have lasted as long, plenty of free promotion.

The man is absolutely useless, Hint, a good comedian never laughs at their own jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Oh I know they'll be making documentary series about his comedic genius in years to come, we'll miss him when he's gone thats for sure but isn't that allways the way.... an unappreciated genius of comedy is what he is up there with the masters

mgn wrote: »
    Only for he's in the RTE golden circle he wouldn't have lasted as long, plenty of free promotion.

The man is absolutely useless, Hint, a good comedian never laughs at their own jokes.

He gets more work in the uk than here.

You might nor like his schtick but any guy who is still going after 25 years in the rough and tumble of stand up must have something.

Who told you that about comedians laughing at their own jokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Who told you that about comedians laughing at their own jokes?

Listen to the likes of Billy Connelly, Lee Evens and Kevin Bridges and you will see what I mean.

Listen to the likes of Billy Connelly, Lee Evens and Kevin Bridges and you will see what I mean.

Al good in their own way but it is not a hard and fast rule as you implied earlier.

Tommy Cooper could bring the house down without even telling a joke.

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Jason's opening remarks:

"If I was you I'd take up Formula 1"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Cliona reckons that it is best talking to the young people causing the trouble, to see what they want. Try that with the scrotes on South William St, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,137 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mav11 wrote: »
    Cliona reckons that it is best talking to the young people causing the trouble, to see what they want. Try that with the scrotes on South William St, FFS.

…..with a long-neck bottle whizzing towards your head….

Nah Cliona…… can’t agree with thaaaaat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

cantankerous Jim Sheridan

He was on friday evening with Catherine Thomas

Now back on again

Why are RTÉ pushing this so much

Sheridan unconvincingly trying a present Bailey as a regular guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sheridan unconvincingly trying a present Bailey as a regular guy.

Yep..

And spot on was Brendan telling him to cut out the guff language!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is Lee evans a comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From a comedians q&a with Richard prior (a real comedian)
    Jason Byrne: You talk about Muhammad Ali in your latest DVD and how frightening it was to be in the ring with him. But do you reckon you could beat him now that the two of you shake like maracas?
    RP: That's your ****in' question?

Is Lee evans a comedian?

Yes.

Well more accurately a retired comedian.

He was very successful.

• Advertisement

"Jason Byrne pranks Bill Murray".

Should be titled Bill Murray shows how its done.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1862-before-fame/981182-comedian-jason-byrne/

Advertisement