Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Give him the gig, c'mere listen to me like.

He might be the king of smug, but he's still way ahead of the incumbent.

I know 'you took the words out of my mouth' is a bit cliched...but you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Thought he went a bit hard on the fridge organiser at the start.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Brendan away for “a few weeks”. Not that long since his last break. Firmly on board the gravy train at this stage.

Poor Philip Boucher, Hayes etc. is like the swallows; he only gets to holiday in Winter.

He's been doing a good job as a stand-in on every programme, in fairness. I cannot understand why he doesn't have his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Poor Philip Boucher, Hayes etc. is like the swallows; he only gets to holiday in Winter.

He's been doing a good job as a stand-in on every programme, in fairness. I cannot understand why he doesn't have his own.

They're still training him in, but he's learning, I see in the chat with the botanist there (sorry can't remember her name) he zoned in on her partners sad demise like a guided missile half way through the interview. He's coming along nicely, won't be long now till he's a made guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I was just reading his Wikipedia page..."He is the nephew of fellow RTÉ radio broadcaster Myles Dungan." it's a small world - especially so in RTE it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

They're still training him in, but he's learning, I see in the chat with the botanist there (sorry can't remember her name) he zoned in on her partners sad demise like a guided missile half way through the interview. He's coming along nicely, won't be long now till he's a made guy

I'm at a loss as to who in RTE is driving this-it's endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I prefer the more alliterative ‘Sultan of Smug’ myself, but as usual you got him nailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

I can't listen to PBH for any length, the smugness just becomes too much.
    He seems to have a great admiration for his analysis of a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I'm at a loss as to who in RTE is driving this-it's endemic.

I don't remember RTE always being like this. I do wonder if the clip where Gaybo rings a competition winner whos daughter has just died is partly responsible for it.

Bring up death, go viral, everyone will love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wouldn’t be PBH biggest fan but have to say he’s streets ahead of BOC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

September!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    September!

Is BOC off til then? :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wouldn’t be PBH biggest fan but have to say he’s streets ahead of BOC

He’s a decent presenter alright but it always sounds like he’s just taken a bit of a juicy pear when he’s talking.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't remember RTE always being like this. I do wonder if the clip where Gaybo rings a competition winner whos daughter has just died is partly responsible for it.

Bring up death, go viral, everyone will love it.

RTE are huge big government enthusiasts and Covid is the ultimate vehicle for big government

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    RTE are huge big government enthusiasts and Covid is the ultimate vehicle for big government

But is doesn't explain why every light entertainment presenter goes straight for illness and death.
    Tubs and Duffy mad for a bit of heartbrake. I rember tubs asking a six year old about her little sisters heart surgery. A six year old FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Is BOC off til then? :-o

They were saying MM is flying a flag for easing covid19 restrictions in September. Seems a long way off to me.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But is doesn't explain why every light entertainment presenter goes straight for illness and death.
    Tubs and Duffy mad for a bit of heartbrake. I rember tubs asking a six year old about her little sisters heart surgery. A six year old FFS

It seems to me that an average six year year old has a more robust approach to sadness in life than some of the posters on here.

In real life I've never had anyone say to me that presenters focus too much on the sadder side of life. Only here does it seem to bother people.

Maybe most people realise that life is not a bowl of cherries and hearing issues of death and illness discussed is just part of the package.

As for myself, I hear a sad story, reflect on it, relate it to my own life experience and then move on to something more lighthearted or a bit of music.

elperello wrote: »
    It seems to me that an average six year year old has a more robust approach to sadness in life than some of the posters on here.

In real life I've never had anyone say to me that presenters focus too much on the sadder side of life. Only here does it seem to bother people.

Maybe most people realise that life is not a bowl of cherries and hearing issues of death and illness discussed is just part of the package.

As for myself, I hear a sad story, reflect on it, relate it to my own life experience and then move on to something more lighthearted or a bit of music.
    Nothing at all to do with listeners approach to saddness and all to do with the national broadcasters constant misery mining, for instance that interview with that lady on saturday was going fine and one could learn something as she explained about different plants, those in danger of extinction and so on until the presenter without prompting zoned in on the ladys private life and proceeded to enquire about how she was getting on without her sadly departed partner thereby dragging the interview off course and ruining it imv, this craic is ubiquitous on rte and btw we all of us have saddness and misery visit us at some stage in our lives and we deal with it in our own way, we don't have to be reminded of it morn, noon and night on the national broadcaster, we need a break from it thats why many are tuning out from the constant misery mining in every topic on rte, I myself find that staying away from the national broadcaster as much as possible by and large leaves a rosier hue on life in general

Nothing at all to do with listeners approach to saddness and all to do with the national broadcasters constant misery mining, for instance that interview with that lady on saturday was going fine and one could learn something as she explained about different plants, those in danger of extinction and so on until the presenter without prompting zoned in on the ladys private life and proceeded to enquire about how she was getting on without her sadly departed partner thereby dragging the interview off course and ruining it imv, this craic is ubiquitous on rte and btw we all of us have saddness and misery visit us at some stage in our lives and we deal with it in our own way, we don't have to be reminded of it morn, noon and night on the national broadcaster, we need a break from it thats why many are tuning out from the constant misery mining in every topic on rte, I myself find that staying away from the national broadcaster as much as possible by and large leaves a rosier hue on life in general

I take your point but you have used the term "misery mining" twice in one short post.

I have never heard that term used outside of this forum.

I just don't think most people share your view.

In my experience a lot of people find it useful to hear how others deal with the bad times in life.

I agree that we all have sadness in our lives and if it suits you to avoid mention of these issues then that's your choice.

• Advertisement

I take your point but you have used the term "misery mining" twice in one short post.

In my experience a lot of people find it useful to hear how others deal with the bad times in life.

I agree that we all have sadness in our lives and if it suits you to avoid mention of these issues then that's your choice.

I do not avoid mention of these issues, not what I said at all but even people suffering from diseases, ailments etc need a break from them for their mental wellbeing from time to time

I do not avoid mention of these issues, not what I said at all but even people suffering from diseases, ailments etc need a break from them for their mental wellbeing from time to time

Sorry if I took you up wrong about avoiding mention.

If programme content is affecting someone's mental health they should definitely take a break.

Lad is right in my opinion.

No need for misery 7/24/365.

Need to dial it down a bit I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Lad is right in my opinion.

No need for misery 7/24/365.

Need to dial it down a bit I feel.

Agreed. RTE has kind of turned it up to 11

Cole wrote: »
    Agreed. RTE has kind of turned it up to 11

And while we are at it, would these fohherking presenters say goodbye in one sentence,please.

Meeeeeriam took about seven “thank you seeau mooches” to say goodbye to Vicky this morning.

Lovely woman and I hope she does well but cringe inducing this morning.

Leave the ‘luvvies’ to theatre crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's a limit though, Tubridy looks for the misery angle in every interview, George Lee is visibly excited telling bad news, VM 1 is as bad, they'd Twink on talking about her dead dog a few weeks ago

Sorry if I took you up wrong about avoiding mention.

If programme content is affecting someone's mental health they should definitely take a break.

Again you missed my point, whether intentionally or not, I'll leave it at that for now

Again you missed my point, whether intentionally or not, I'll leave it at that for now

Sorry again if I missed your point, it certainly wasn't intentional.

There's a limit though, Tubridy looks for the misery angle in every interview, George Lee is visibly excited telling bad news, VM 1 is as bad, they'd Twink on talking about her dead dog a few weeks ago

Correct, Lee seems to be ‘getting string’ when he is pumping out the bad news.

Terrible stuff.

• Advertisement

Sorry again if I missed your point, it certainly wasn't intentional.

No problem, the fault was probably me and my inarticulate speech of the heart

Advertisement