Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rory is now part of the RTE guest circuit.

He's in there with the Brennans, Dermot Bannon, Jason Byrne, Nathan Carter et al.

Thought I was listening to Diarmuid Gavin for a while there
    Brother of Darina Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

He's in there with the Brennans, Dermot Bannon, Jason Byrne, Nathan Carter et al.
    The point I was making was about the products he was promoting, not about Rory himself - Rory was promoting some very specific producers in a similar way to how social media “influencers” work. I have two problems with this:

1. Is he being paid to do this promotion?
    2. If not, why mention any producers at all - just say that there are great Irish producers and leave it at that? I’m sure that there are loads of fantastic Irish producers that Rory has never heard of and who won’t benefit from the free publicity that Rory gave his chosen producers today.

He's the unblemished face of Ballymaloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Allen's, another 'made' family in the world of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

serfboard wrote: »

1. Is he being paid to do this promotion?
    2. If not, why mention any producers at all - just say that there are great Irish producers and leave it at that? I’m sure that there are loads of fantastic Irish producers that Rory has never heard of and who won’t benefit from the free publicity that Rory gave his chosen producers today.

Was he on to promote the product? If so its a free interview for RTÉ. Right?

• Advertisement

Half the country you mean ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thought men wore shorts cos its hot in the summer,
    Am I stupid.
    And alot of men dress like they live in New York City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I heard him for about a minute today. I turned it off immediately. Why oh why is he speaking like an American teenager? With the uplift at the end of a sentence? Is he that impressionable that he apes this speech pattern? Thinks it cool? I gave him a minute today and that was more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bobbyss wrote: »
    I heard him for about a minute today. I turned it off immediately. Why oh why is he speaking like an American teenager? With the uplift at the end of a sentence? Is he that impressionable that he apes this speech pattern? Thinks it cool? I gave him a minute today and that was more than enough.

I THINK he believes that the ridiculous fake accent makes him seem sophisticated and “superior” to an ordinary Irish accent

As it happens I’ve known a number of gay guys from rural ireland over the years who “affect” d4/American accents - perhaps a psychoanalyst can work that out

Is BOC being paid by nphet to continue the misery around covid?
    Every week the show revolves around covid, and usually negative stories.

This guy now, is saying just open up, and he's an infectious diseases expert. But BOC is trying to swing it round to staying closed

There is hardly anyone in hospitals. All the old are vaccinated. The country and many businesses are on their knees, we need to open and get back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Is BOC being paid by nphet to continue the misery around covid?

BOC takes every opportunity to undermine NPHET and the CMO week in week out.

Alison O Connor not allowing his usual bias and giving the obvious solution of allowing vaccinated people indoors and unvaccinated outdoors

Infoanon wrote: »

He's been pushing covid misery since he got this gig.

I don't listen often enough now to know that he runs down nphet, as I couldn't take his misery every week. If he does, it doesn't stop him ramping up the RTE backed hype around the disease every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

It's got to the stage now that whenever I hear the word covid on any program I just click it off. Can't listen to it anymore, would just melt your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

There is hardly anyone in hospitals. All the old are vaccinated..

Is that not part of the problem, they made a balls of the 60 to 69 age group? They are not fully or effectively vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's got to the stage now that whenever I hear the word covid on any program I just click it off. Can't listen to it anymore, would just melt your head.

Would be similar, get the notion it's just being dragged out now

Would be similar, get the notion it's just being dragged out now

I wonder are all other Eu countries, or the US, still as obsessed talking about covid as the Irish media are?

This Guggi chap is actually an interesting fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I wonder are all other Eu countries, or the US, still as obsessed talking about covid as the Irish media are?

You mean like...Angela Merkel warning that Europe is "on thin ice" as the Delta variant of Covid spreads on the continent. The UK reporting 35,204 cases of Delta variant in a week. I think the answer to your question is...yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Alison O Connor not allowing his usual bias and giving the obvious solution of allowing vaccinated people indoors and unvaccinated outdoors

That's not in anyway simple as there is still no vaccine cert. Also, it would upset some people who are not yet fully vaccinated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Yep agree, a lot more humble and interesting than Sinead O'Connor. Sinead's level of arrogance and stupidity in her interview was too much, had to turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Yep agree, a lot more humble and interesting than Sinead O'Connor. Sinead's level of arrogance and stupidity in her interview was too much, had to turn off.

Yeah. I had a chat with him at the Afters of a mutual friend's mother's funeral. Really friendly lad and was chuffed that I recognised him. He said he thought he was only known to a few hundred people in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sligojoek wrote: »
    Yeah. I had a chat with him at the Afters of a mutual friend's mother's funeral. Really friendly lad and was chuffed that I recognised him. He said he thought he was only known to a few hundred people in Dublin.

He the older guy with very long hair?

Very recognisable I would’ve thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Shame about the 'art' though - should have stuck to music.

https://www.guggi.com/works-on-paper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

sligojoek wrote: »

The Virgin Prunes have a fairly big cult following on the continent, France, Italy, Germany etc. Theyre probably way better known outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Caught this morning show and thought the above Alison O'Connor who seems to be on speed dial for O'Connors show was incredibly smug in her pontifications. I think she's some sort of journalist, a hack but carries on if she has the wisdom to cure all ills. LISTEN TO MEEEEEEE.. whilst along with BOC she just peddles the RTE/ Government line of patter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Furze99 wrote: »
    Caught this morning show and thought the above Alison O'Connor who seems to be on speed dial for O'Connors show was incredibly smug in her pontifications. I think she's some sort of journalist, a hack but carries on if she has the wisdom to cure all ills. LISTEN TO MEEEEEEE.. whilst along with BOC she just peddles the RTE/ Government line of patter.

Any question that….horrors of horrors…she might be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Shame about the 'art' though - should have stuck to music.

https://www.guggi.com/works-on-paper

To paraphrase Brendan Behan, they'll be nice when they're finished.

Any question that….horrors of horrors…she might be right?

About what? She just pontificates and parrots on and on. The sort that would do your head in.

PBH in instead of BOC for a few weeks - welcome relief. Interesting to see how's he treated this discussion on alcohol compared to the zealous utterances of BOC or D'Arcy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Give him the gig, c'mere listen to me like.

He might be the king of smug, but he's still way ahead of the incumbent.

Advertisement