Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Their marriage ended years ago.

Wasn't aware of that, see now they separated 6 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Dunphy on now eulogising about Big Jack, and he hadn't a good word to say about him when he was alive.

Dessicated little hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dunphy adopted whatever position suited his career or needs at the particular time .. no developed ideas at all.., it doesnt suit him to be controversial today so he wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

He gave Dunphy way too much input imo.

BOC had an awkward moment with Johnny Giles when he asked a question about showing (lack of) respect for Jack, which was actually directed to Dunphy. Rather than just interrupt a slightly irritated Giles and clarify this, he just let him go on and get more (understandably) irritated. I really sigh at BOC's presenting abilities sometimes.

The Happy Pear lads.

Flick.

• Advertisement

Oh Jaysus this Happy Pear...time to switch off the radio and mow the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

the Happy Pear brothers, a right pair.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Oh christ-bring Dunphy back on to pass a few remarks on these two goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Are the Flynns made guys? to be gettin the free advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Thought the thing with Giles was funny. Brendan really irked him by inferring that John had showed a lack of respect for Jack.

Did anybody hear when Des Cahill made reference to the time when the Irish team were due back and the fans were waiting for them. During this time Nelson Mandela landed in the airport and the fans all started shouting "Oh ahh Paul Mcgrath's daaa". Brendan quickly cuts across him, having seemingly got word through his airport for the PC Police, and says "They were different times Des". And then quickly moves on. This is Brendan, a former comedian, someone who used to dress up as a priest to mock them. Now completely turned gamekeeper.

It really is sad to see what happens to journalists these days. They all quickly realise that they have to fall in line or get another profession. I had thought Brendan was one of the good ones, who would have been true to himself.

• Advertisement

Did anybody hear when Des Cahill made reference to the time when the Irish team were due back and the fans were waiting for them. During this time Nelson Mandela landed in the airport and the fans all started shouting "Oh ahh Paul Mcgrath's daaa". Brendan quickly cuts across him, having seemingly got word through his airport for the PC Police, and says "They were different times Des".

Tumbleweed moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

You get the feeling that O'Connor would've been quite happy to spend the entire programme chatting about healthy eating and posh nosh today. If it wasn't for the sad passing of Big Jack, today's show would've been brought to us courtesy of those annoying twins, that Irish Times food critic and a bit of tabloid fodder that's already been reported on all news outlets during the week.
    It's anodyne radio to the point of sleep inducing. They should have used the opportunity of a new presenter to freshen up a show that's been jaded and on the wane for years. Instead, it's more of the same old same old.

You get the feeling that O'Connor would've been quite happy to spend the entire programme chatting about healthy eating and posh nosh today. If it wasn't for the sad passing of Big Jack, today's show would've been brought to us courtesy of those annoying twins, that Irish Times food critic and a bit of tabloid fodder that's already been reported on all news outlets during the week.
    It's anodyne radio to the point of sleep inducing. They should have used the opportunity of a new presenter to freshen up a show that's been jaded and on the wane for years. Instead, it's more of the same old same old.

That's just the nature of the programme, middle-class suburban radio, and you have to hand it to RTE, it's a winning formula. The last JNLRs saw Marian Finucane enjoy a rise of nearly 20,000 listeners year-on-year. The Saturday programme, in particular, wouldn't be my cup of tea, I did look askance at the radio when the foodie was talking about the importance of her job, and "with great power there comes great responsibility", or words to that effect.

But RTE has found a loyal audience, they're giving people something that they seem to want, even if we don't personally like it.

I did look askance at the radio when the foodie was talking about the importance of her job, and "with great power there comes great responsibility", or words to that effect.

Pretty much sums up the silly bubble that these self-important people inhabit.

It's extremely lazy radio and it's predicated on the fact that RTE are aware that there's a sizeable portion of the listening population that have their dial permanently stuck on Radio One. It's the sort of inertia that guarantees an audience irrespective of whatever's on at a particular time.

It's extremely lazy radio and it's predicated on the fact that RTE are aware that there's a sizeable portion of the listening population that have their dial permanently stuck on Radio One. It's the sort of inertia that guarantees an audience irrespective of whatever's on at a particular time.

Similar to the reasons not many people change banks, insurance companies, utility suppliers.

For me, there’s not a great alternative, without going onto t’internet.

John Creedon’s good, though ...

Similar to the reasons not many people change banks, insurance companies, utility suppliers.

John Creedon's a proper genuine Corkman. O'Connor aspires to be a member of the vacuous D4 media set. It's sad to see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I heard that restaurant reviewers self regarding comments too

The way she was going on i thought maybe she holds the nuclear codes for the UN security council or something.

Instead she reviews the likes of 5 guys burger joint.

Notions

Notions that a lot of Irish times journalists and RTÉ contributors have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

John Creedon's a proper genuine Corkman. O'Connor aspires to be a member of the vacuous D4 media set. It's sad to see ;)

I’d like to see Newstalk take a punt on him for Ivan Yates’ “spot”.

Would be interesting to see what he’s like without the, dreaded, RTÉ “balance” that hamstrings nearly every interview.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Would be interesting to see what he’s like without the, dreaded, RTÉ “balance” that hamstrings nearly every interview.

I like creedon - he does a great music show - but he seems to be very laidback, not really a political animal would be my impression? it would be a big jump to covering a news and current affairs role.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I credit people with enough intelligence to choose what they want to listen to on the radio, and the figures prove it. Radio One is a minority station. John Creedon has about 50,000 listeners, Morning Ireland over 400,000 and there are different numbers for lots of other programmes.

The ones who should wise up are those who are reporting regularly listening to low quality programmes which they they don't like. Their radios must be permanently stuck on Radio One with no Off button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I like creedon - he does a great music show - but he seems to be very laidback, not really a political animal would be my impression? it would be a big jump to covering a news and current affairs role.

Sorry, I meant O’Connor for the Newstalk “job”. Creedon is fine where he is, his show is excellent.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

BOC will Not be moving to newstalk anytime soon as he is under contract with RTE, and considering that he only officially took over the weekend brunch slot back in March, it's probably going to be another 2 or 3 years before his contract is up for renewal.

I credit people with enough intelligence to choose what they want to listen to on the radio, and the figures prove it. Radio One is a minority station. John Creedon has about 50,000 listeners, Morning Ireland over 400,000 and there are different numbers for lots of other programmes.

Where are you getting the notion that Radio One is a minority station?

Wall to wall scaremongering from RTE. If the hospitals hadn't dumped all their sick patients in the nursing homes, how many lives would that have saved, or are we not allowed to speak about that.

And the lad saying that he was "nervous" to for a pint. Grow the f**k up you idiot. Nobody it seems is allowed to have the opinion that "there is f**k all danger to me from the virus", everybody has to be seen to be afraid. Lest you not be invited on the panel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Freebie ad for the Trocadero there - what was the point in that interview with Brenda,

Mary O Rourke on the panel.......

At the beginning of the programme BOC read out the newspaper headlines and travellers landing from the US featured in a few papers.
    A discussion then follows about travel and any discussion of American tourists is avoided ! But the panel go onto discuss the green quarantine list due on July 20th completely ignoring that the list is for inbound travel only (as per Lisa Chambers on the Sarah McInerary show on Friday).

Genuine question - what did Mary O Rourke bring to the discussion today ?

And the lad saying that he was "nervous" to for a pint. Grow the f**k up you idiot. Nobody it seems is allowed to have the opinion that "there is f**k all danger to me from the virus", everybody has to be seen to be afraid. Lest you not be invited on the panel again.

Nobody is worried about people who think they're immune, the concern is that those without risk factors are going to pass it on to someone in an at-risk category.

I thought they were VERY unfair to Dunphy earlier in the show. When they spoke about Dunphy's contribution yesterday (which was very glowing about Jack), a smart remark was made to the effect that "well, Irish people always speak well of the dead".

Dunphy and Giles did a review of Jack's career for his 85th birthday back a few months (which is well worth a listen). This was done BEFORE Jack died and everything Dunphy said on this podcast was consistent with what he said on the show yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    Freebie ad for the Trocadero there - what was the point in that interview with Brenda,

At the beginning of the programme BOC read out the newspaper headlines and travellers landing from the US featured in a few papers.
    A discussion then follows about travel and any discussion of American tourists is avoided ! But the panel go onto discuss the green quarantine list due on July 20th completely ignoring that the list is for inbound travel only (as per Lisa Chambers on the Sarah McInerary show on Friday).

The usual plamás, which in case people don’t know what that is- it’s rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am a serial non switcher by choice, but that is entirely unconnected to my radio listening habits. Which is certainly not to leave my radios tuned to just one station. I fail to see how anyone could link the two things.

I don't do direct debits, the savings offered are only temporary, and don't apply to standing charges. Other people may be serial switchers, but keep their radios tuned to only one station. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Infoanon wrote: »

Poor Brenda, she has'nt seen the inside of a restaurant for 5 months

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Advertisement