Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Seems like mental health is fast becoming the go to for people to absolve themselves for their actions, and immediately turn those "cancel him" Twitter posts into "u ok hun?" Twitter posts. Much like pleading insanity in the courts.

Kanye West has a history of mental health issues - I don't know why BOC ran this feature - it's old news at this stage.

Similarly it's been known for weeks that those on the PUP scheme would not get paid while on holidays yet it was spun as news with faux outrage this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

There has been a u-turn on masks here, in the UK, and in the US. Last week in the UK:

Now I have heard different officials in the UK and US saying that they initially told people not to wear masks so that there would be enough masks available for those in healthcare and those that really need them.

My question to Luke O'Neill would be: Was his initial advice on masks based on political reasoning or scientific reasoning? Because the science on masks has not changed in four months, but his advice has.

Four months ago the science indicated that the wearing of masks offered little or no protection to the wearer. This remains valid.
    However science has subsequently indicated that the wearing of masks can protect others. AFAIK this is the basis for the change in advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

elperello wrote: »
    Eye watering renumeration all right :)

Have you guys hired any consultants lately.

Check out their hourly rate on the invoices.

Wasn't Conor Pope getting €40 per contribution to the Mooney/Darcy programme?

tampopo wrote: »
    Wasn't Conor Pope getting €40 per contribution to the Mooney/Darcy programme?
    Moncrieff, but yeah, there's no way RTE are paying consultancy-type fees for the likes of Luke O'Neill either. Consultancy fees to organisations usually involves research and reporting, not a 10 minute phone chat or a general panel discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Moncrieff, but yeah, there's no way RTE are paying consultancy-type fees for the likes of Luke O'Neill either. Consultancy fees to organisations usually involves research and reporting, not a 10 minute phone chat or a general panel discussion.

Ah, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Cole wrote: »
    This Kanye piece is like something you might read in the Sunday Independent.

That was a piece of total showbiz drivel and gossip.
    I very rarely catch the show these days, but cocked an ear to it in passing. I wondered if I'd accidentally tuned into some local radio celeb gossip slot.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    That was a piece of total showbiz drivel and gossip.
    I very rarely catch the show these days, but cocked an ear to it in passing. I wondered if I'd accidentally tuned into some local radio celeb gossip slot.

It was astonishing really. O'Connor is besotted with celebrity.

But maybe the fact that he got notariety with his "Jesus in the house" rap, dressed as a priest has something to do with it in this case.

Maybe also in the moment he saw himself as the Irish John the Baptist of rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I gave him a pass for weeks to keep an open mind, but BOC is not for me sorry. Too drony of voice, and too vacuous of topics.

The Saturday stint is just so boring. The Sunday is not much better.

I enjoy the Sunday Newstalk show with Gavan Reilly. Much more buzzy and interesting. I know we are all different, but RTE is not pushing my buttons anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

I gave him a pass for weeks to keep an open mind, but BOC is not for me sorry. Too drony of voice, and too vacuous of topics.

I enjoy the Sunday Newstalk show with Gavan Reilly. Much more buzzy and interesting. I know we are all different, but RTE is not pushing my buttons anymore.

Gotta agree with you, Gavan Reilly is so much more dynamic and like Sarah Mcinery, he too will admit when he doesn't always understand the political spin/guff that BOC just takes from the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

BOC's show is not going well at all, so I gave Gavan Reilly a try for a few weeks (well kind of back and forth to RTE). I think he's good, but the the format doesn't work for me. It always seemed to be an interview with a politician to kick off, 2 contributors on the panel (and Colette Brown was on twice in a few weeks!) and about quarter of an hour of sports analysis towards the end...maybe a couple of other short bits and bobs thrown in.

A shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭spakman

BOC's show is not going well at all, so I gave Gavan Reilly a try for a few weeks (well kind of back and forth to RTE). I think he's good, but the the format doesn't work for me. It always seemed to be an interview with a politician to kick off, 2 contributors on the panel (and Colette Brown was on twice in a few weeks!) and about quarter of an hour of sports analysis towards the end...maybe a couple of other short bits and bobs thrown in.

A shame

You haven't said what's wrong with that format though, or what would improve it.

spakman wrote: »
    You haven't said what's wrong with that format though, or what would improve it.

Drop the politician interview and the sporting analysis (more than enough at the weekend) and add a couple more contributors.

Drop the politician interview and the sporting analysis (more than enough at the weekend) and add a couple more contributors.

I would agree with you about the sports segment. The entire afternoon on NT is devoted to sport anyway.

I enjoy the historian guy though, that's a good fit I think. But look we are all different, and you can't please everyone.

I think it's the energy of the show and the buzz of it that I like, well compared to the grey boring feeling of RTE anyway.

I enjoy the historian guy though, that's a good fit I think.

Yes, I agree.

I just think BOC is not a good fit and the celeb type stuff (like the Kanye West thing this morning) seems more prominent. Even though Marian had some ropey shows, I still stayed tuned in...but switch over/off quite a bit now.

Kanye is a bit beyond just being a celebrity in fairness. You could fairly attribute the word cultural icon to him. If not, surely everyone accepts that what he produces is considered to be of cultural relevance.

If you were in your teens or 20s when Kanye came out, you're now in your 30s or 40s, and are part of the target audience for this programme. I'm surprised that today's segment would be considered a "celeb" topic anymore than discussion of Bob Dylan or Freddie Mercury would be considered "celeb items".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I'm surprised that today's segment would be considered a "celeb" topic anymore than discussion of Bob Dylan or Freddie Mercury would be considered "celeb items".

Of course they are.
    Utterly transient and frothy, no more worthy of consideration than a dandelion in my front yard.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Felt a bit like i was listening to a college radio segment at times (no offence to college radio) with a mature try hard presenter predictably failing to get down with the kids. As soon as the name kardashian came up, had to quickly zone out. Couldnt take any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

It will be interesting to see the JNLR figures for his show. I’m not enjoying it these weekends. Have been impressed with Reilly’s poltitical reports on TV so I’ll give his show a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Really enjoying today's show. Damien O'Reilly doing a great job I think, very interesting and engaged conversations on health and fitness and kanye west/bipolar. Not a hint of misery mining and I have no idea of the hosts own opinions after listening to the discussion. Very interesting show, the right mix of substance but not too lightweight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yes, fully agree-I thoroughly enjoyed the show today.

• Advertisement

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Really enjoying today's show. Damien O'Reilly doing a great job I think, very interesting and engaged conversations on health and fitness and kanye west/bipolar. Not a hint of misery mining and I have no idea of the hosts own opinions after listening to the discussion. Very interesting show, the right mix of substance but not too lightweight either.

I listened right through, which is unheard of when BOC is onboard. Much improved now and upbeat with interesting topics. Full marks Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

PieOhMy wrote: »

Was sneeking onto this thread to see if others like me, actually enjoyed todays show and you did! Wow...cos I was never a great fan of Damien on Liveline (compared to Katie) - but Damien was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭Tork

robo wrote: »
    Was sneeking onto this thread to see if others like me, actually enjoyed todays show and you did! Wow...cos I was never a great fan of Damien on Liveline (compared to Katie) - but Damien was good!

It's a different kind of show and probably a format better suited to Damien. What a pity they pulled the trigger so soon and gave Brendan the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

Tork wrote: »
    It's a different kind of show and probably a format better suited to Damien. What a pity they pulled the trigger so soon and gave Brendan the job.

Is BOC on term time again?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

I find Damian’s voice easier to listen to (and I’m a fan of the Cork accent).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d prefer Damien to BOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Once again, all those saying "we need to do what we're told" - all public servants, academics, politicians with no skin in the game, they all get paid either way. Put them on 350 a week then ask them how they feel about the risk.

On Damien, I think he is a lot more forthright than he used to be. I always remember him as being this lovable and harmless oul eejit, but he seems to be trying hard here, almost like he is throwing his hat in for any future jobs. Maybe Liveline. Though they will be carrying Duffy away from the Liveline mic in a box.

Good again today. Damien's just a better radio presenter than BOC. Similar topics/guests but more engaging and effective when Damien's presenting. If he could only stop his medical guest (Cliona Ni Cheallaigh) from constantly using "absoluuuutely" when agreeing with a point, he'd get full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Prefer Damien to BOC but he let himself down asking leading questions about the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Mentioned there that he was doing some prep work last night on the saw doctors and the homework being done shows through on air. Also saying reeling in the years has been on 40 times haha

Advertisement