Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Cole wrote: »
    I had to switch over when he came out with the statement that kids were second class citizens in 80s Ireland. Maybe I could have waited for him to develop/explain that point, but I could just see the whole thing going into a bit of a pseudo intellectual psychoanalysis,,,from a DJ

Let’s be honest, he’s not far off with that one.

He could have says ‘up to the 80s’ but, considering child abuse only became “unacceptable” in 1994, I think he’s got a point.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Another one who had an epiphany during lockdown "morya" as Duffy might say, an the pubs are goin to be mighty places alltogether with us sittin in perspex covered booths on a timer with yellow signs on the floor like a crimescene an with the social distancing dancing shur it'll be mighty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I really am wondering do I need counselling because I feel guilty for not feeling miserable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Economist Alan Barrett reckons Zappone was the most impressive Minister in the last Govt but the electorate were't smart enough to recognise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

jay0109 wrote: »
    Economist Alan Barrett reckons Zappone was the most impressive Minister in the last Govt but the electorate were't smart enough to recognise that!

Some craic allright the stuff some of em come out with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Who is that woman talking bombastic nonsense? Does she not know that no matter how big a cabinet room you have the max no of ministers you can have is 15 per the Constitution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

God, Alan Barrett is awful smug and condescending. I'd rather hear what Sheridan said to be honest, he's the only one there who is like a normal person and has no vested interest. Lise Hand keeps interrupting him every time he tries to speak. Almost like they don't consider him "qualified" enough to speak on the subject of politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

I agree with Barrett, she was impressive. He was responding to a previous speaker, who said that Independent TDs who supported governments had a history of ignoring national issues and focusing on bringing goodies to their constituencies. Barrett responded that Independents, like Zappone, who focus on national issues tend to get little reward. He is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

God, Alan Barrett is awful smug and condescending. I'd rather hear what Sheridan said to be honest, he's the only one there who is like a normal person and has no vested interest. Lise Hand keeps interrupting him every time he tries to speak. Almost like they don't consider him "qualified" enough to speak on the subject of politics.

Get yourself over to Gavan on Newstalk. I switched back and forth for the first half hour...but gave up when the banter about Roy Keane was dropped in.

I'm all ears Historybuff...list the great achievements we all seem to have missed.
    Because I know she got one job to do during the shutdown...open creches for frontline worker's kids and what a disaster she made of that. Pure both effort that was abandoned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree with Barrett, she was impressive. He was responding to a previous speaker, who said that Independent TDs who supported governments had a history of ignoring national issues and focusing on bringing goodies to their constituencies. Barrett responded that Independents, like Zappone, who focus on national issues tend to get little reward. He is right.

Exactly Barrett's contribution re. Zappone was balanced and he was giving his opinion not attacking voters in her constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Callan57 wrote: »
    Who is that woman talking bombastic nonsense? Does she not know that no matter how big a cabinet room you have the max no of ministers you can have is 15 per the Constitution

Lise Hand. Along with Alison O'Connor, two of the worst hacks that persistently appear on these panel shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

I'm all ears Historybuff...list the great achievements we all seem to have missed.
    Because I know she got one job to do during the shutdown...open creches for frontline worker's kids and what a disaster she made of that. Pure both effort that was abandoned

Well jay, prick up your ears. Here are some things you seem to have missed:
    • Under her tenure, the Department of Children & Youth Affairs has significantly increased state funding in childcare, from €264 million in 2014 to €628 million this year. It needs to increase it more, of course, but a 137% increase is good going. And the department's funding for Tusla - the Child and Family Agency, and various other child and youth related programmes has increased too.
    • She responded well to the controversy regarding illegal adoptions by St Patrick's Guild in Dublin in the 1950s and '60s.
    • She has finalized the guidelines for reopening childcare facilities soon.

Overall, it was a good enough performance to warrant her re-election, I'd say.

Lise Hand would like a woman Taoiseach for good or bad.

This is the sort of nonsense she comes out with. She would support a woman Taoiseach even if she was crap.

Is this just not stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

RTE should just leave the Horkan family alone, instead of using them as fodder for their shows. Have a bit of f**king respect, ffs, was it bad enough that they were having people coming on talking about it live on Liveline, while the family had not even got down to organising the funeral.

RTE should just leave the Horkan family alone, instead of using them as fodder for their shows. Have a bit of f**king respect, ffs, was it bad enough that they were having people coming on talking about it live on Liveline, while the family had not even got down to organising the funeral.

The man is receiving a state funeral approved by his family and allowed to be televised by the national broadcaster.

This is Ireland. Our grief and funerals are usually a very public affair.

All of the commentary I've heard on RTE has been respectful.

• Under her tenure, the Department of Children & Youth Affairs has significantly increased state funding in childcare, from €264 million in 2014 to €628 million this year. It needs to increase it more, of course, but a 137% increase is good going. And the department's funding for Tusla - the Child and Family Agency, and various other child and youth related programmes has increased too.
    • She responded well to the controversy regarding illegal adoptions by St Patrick's Guild in Dublin in the 1950s and '60s.

Priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not forgetting that her honesty effectively forced Enda to resign.

Easily one of the best ministers in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lise Hand. Along with Alison O'Connor, two of the worst hacks that persistently appear on these panel shows.

Yes, could’t argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

alison o connor is truly insufferable , never off the bloody airwaves with her smug utterings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Very good interview today with a novelist whose name escapes me, as I missed the start and end of it. Anyone know who it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

plodder wrote: »
    Very good interview today with a novelist whose name escapes me, as I missed the start and end of it. Anyone know who it was?

Christine Dwyer Hickey, author of Taffy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Eva Orsmond sucks all of the joy out of food.

I know I have to reduce calories to lose weight. Can they replace this segment now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

plodder wrote: »

Christine Dwyer Hickey?

https://www.newisland.ie/fiction/tatty

Thought the show was woeful today - suck the life out of one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Thanks, that's her all right. I like the sound of that new novel and fascinating interviewee. Didn't hear the rest of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Christine Dwyer Hickey?

https://www.newisland.ie/fiction/tatty

Thought the show was woeful today - suck the life out of one. :(

Yeah... I tuned in and out and thought it was pretty dire today.

Not that every show of Marian's was great, but BOC (and his team) have just taken it to a new low level...every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cole wrote: »
    Yeah... I tuned in and out and thought it was pretty dire today.

Not that every show of Marian's was great, but BOC (and his team) have just taken it to a new low level...every week.

I'd imagine that a lot of regular listeners missed today's show what with history being made over on RTE tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Shelga wrote: »
    Eva Orsmond sucks all of the joy out of food.

I know I have to reduce calories to lose weight. Can they replace this segment now?

I heard about 2 mins of her, and this was exactly what I thought. Can't bear her.

Mind you, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the show, in Brendan's hands, just sucks the joy out of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ballsy not doing well on Saturday...... it better on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Lise Hand would like a woman Taoiseach for good or bad.

This is the sort of nonsense she comes out with. She would support a woman Taoiseach even if she was crap.

Is this just not stupid?

We have had fourteen Taoisigh, and all of them were men. That is a highly abnormal sex distribution. It is stupid to regard this as normal or acceptable.

Advertisement