Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Please, please can anyone tell me which of the medical experts told us before things kicked off properly that "we might see a case " in Ireland? I know that it was one of the regulars from the Irish pool but it's so far back now that I can't find it and haven't the time to go back searching for the quote - I tried briefly. :confused:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Please, please can anyone tell me which of the medical experts told us before things kicked off properly that "we might see a case " in Ireland? I know that it was one of the regulars from the Irish pool but it's so far back now that I can't find it and haven't the time to go back searching for the quote - I tried briefly. :confused:

Joe Duffy?? He’s an expert in everything

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Joe Duffy?? He’s an expert in everything

"Even if it does come, it won't kill us".

His exact words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So you're saying that research has taken place since February on masks, and the conclusions of that research differs from the previous hundreds of years of research on masks which Luke O'Neill had been basing his February advice?

Should he not at least be asked the question as to why he has now changed his advice or are we just prepared to believe anything the man says because he is jovial?

There was a big fear that if the “plebs” started buying up face masks, early on, the medics wouldn’t be able to source any.

Then we heard that the “average Joe” was too dumb to use a mask correctly and would be at a higher risk of infection due to their inability to wear a mask correctly.

The guy has followed the “guidelines”, and studies, as they’ve come out. He’s following the “experts”, just like everyone else but he has a better understanding of things. You could ask why he didn’t question the “guidelines” but I don’t believe he is advising anyone in a personal capacity.

I’d still take what he’s saying over Weird Seamus, or Odd Auntie Sinead, on Facebook, any day.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I like John Boyne...calling out the vacuous online virtue signalling/SJW (excuse the cliches) bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

John boyne speaking well here in defence of freedom of speech and thought

Eoghan Corry...another 'expert' that the entitled can quote to justify flying off for a holiday.

Eoin Corry dismissing as unlikely a risk of Covid being imported, despite travel-related C-19 having risen from 2% of cases to 12% of cases. NPHET "gravely concerned" but Eoin Corry is not.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1277206296106844166?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭golondrinas

The farmers wife complaining about the amount of Carers allowance.. Is she minding someone else’s child..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Cole wrote: »
    Eoghan Corry...another 'expert' that the entitled can quote to justify flying off for a holiday.

Self appointed "expert" definitely not independent with, to quote an old phrase, "skin in the game"! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mentioned on another thread about the frequency of this guy Corry appearing on rte current affairs shows. Think he managed the full set of weekend, mcinerney, drivetime and morning ireland this week. Like they have him on retainer or something. Find it bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,760 ✭✭✭✭elperello

While Mr Corry knows his way around an airport and is an expert on the travel business I doubt anyone would take his advice on health matters.

Or would they?

Callan57 wrote: »
    Self appointed "expert" definitely not independent with, to quote an old phrase, "skin in the game"! :rolleyes:

He’s our very own, home grown equivalent to Simon Calder in the UK. Without the resumption of travel, he’s no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mentioned on another thread about the frequency of this guy Corry appearing on rte current affairs shows. Think he managed the full set of weekend, mcinerney, drivetime and morning ireland this week. Like they have him on retainer or something. Find it bizarre.

Couple of hundred per appearance?

Nice work considering he's repeating the same answers each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

padd b1975 wrote: »

Dunno would it be that much but probably three figures anyway. Money for jam i think is the expression. Or is it old rope?

According to his wiki page, "For service to tourism Cory has been designated a Kentucky Colonel and a freeman of the city of Baltimore."

A Kentucky Colonel no less. I dont know is that a pisstake tbh.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Dunno would it be that much but probably three figures anyway. Money for jam i think is the expression. Or is it old rope?

According to his wiki page, "For service to tourism Cory has been designated a Kentucky Colonel and a freeman of the city of Baltimore."

A Kentucky Colonel no less. I dont know is that a pisstake tbh.

Eye watering renumeration all right :)

Have you guys hired any consultants lately.

Check out their hourly rate on the invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Might be interesting to ask Luke O'Neill for clarification on his position on face masks seeing as how they have been now made mandatory.

"if you're not infected, no reason to wear a face mask".

Luke was a bit late coming to the party as far as mask wearing is concerned. :(

I was really annoyed, even puzzled, when I saw that LLS interview, as the science of mask wearing had been explained many times by various experts worldwide by that stage.

As someone who had always thoroughly enjoyed listening to Luke O'Neill explaining the science of all things medical on the PK show, I was very disappointed at that LLS performance. Consequently, as far as I am concerned, Luke has lost some credibility. No more hanging on his every word for me! :D

Cole wrote: »
    This was in February, it seems. I think Luke O' Neill's position shifted as the research around the benefits of masks strengthened. He's been pretty consistent in recent months.

His position on masks has completely shifted. I even heard him strongly criticising 'Leo' for failing to make mask wearing mandatory about a month ago.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Luke was a bit late coming to the party as far as mask wearing is concerned. :(

I was really annoyed, even puzzled, when I saw that LLS interview, as the science of mask wearing had been explained many times by various experts worldwide by that stage.

As someone who had always thoroughly enjoyed listening to Luke O'Neill explaining the science of all things medical on the PK show, I was very disappointed at that LLS performance. Consequently, as far as I am concerned, Luke has lost some credibility. No more hanging on his every word for me! :D

I wouldn't hang on every word of any scientist myself either but it is fair to point out the context of that interview.

We were in poor shape as regards PPE and didn't know how serious things were going to get.

A good scientist changes his position in line with the proven facts.

elperello wrote: »
    I wouldn't hang on every word of any scientist myself either but it is fair to point out the context of that interview.

We were in poor shape as regards PPE and didn't know how serious things were going to get.

A good scientist changes his position in line with the proven facts.

There seemed to have been a concerted effort from on high at the time to ignore how serious the situation was elsewhere, especially Italy.

With hindsight, how crazy was it that Irish people were flying on skiing holidays to the epicentre of the virus? And when they returned home and asked the HSE if they should quarantine, were told it was ok to go to work as they had no signs of the virus. Unfortunately, and ironically, one of those people was a doctor who infected many during the course of his work in a busy hospital.

Anyone remember Dr. Harry Barry on the LLS telling people to go out to restaurants and the theatre, no need to stop enjoying ourselves?? I remember feeling absolutely furious as I watched that performance!! Anyone who kept up with the news could see how serious it was!!!

Thankfully, the powers that be eventually got their act together and have done a very good job keeping us safe, imo.

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »

Yes...that was my point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Anyone remember Dr. Harry Barry on the LLS telling people to go out to restaurants and the theatre, no need to stop enjoying ourselves?? I remember feeling absolutely furious as I watched that performance!! Anyone who kept up with the news could see how serious it was!!!

Thankfully, the powers that be eventually got their act together and have done a very good job keeping us safe, imo.

Presumably these "experts" would plead the Keynesian defence of "When the facts change, I change my mind".
    It still doesn't negate the fact that one of our leading immunologists initially scoffed at the idea of the general populace having to wear face masks, and a travel writer referring to the Coronavirus as a "celebrity flu".
    Then again, our media have the collective memory of a shoal of goldfish, so that makes everything okay.....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Presumably these "experts" would plead the Keynesian defence of "When the facts change, I change my mind".
    It still doesn't negate the fact that one of our leading immunologists initially scoffed at the idea of the general populace having to wear face masks, and a travel writer referring to the Coronavirus as a "celebrity flu".
    Then again, our media have the collective memory of a shoal of goldfish, so that makes everything okay.....

Those concerns about behaviour around use of facemasks are not unfounded though...Jesus I've seen people habitually fiddling with them then handling products/surfaces afterwards..would be far safer without in these cases

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

southstar wrote: »
    Those concerns about behaviour around use of facemasks are not unfounded though...Jesus I've seen people habitually fiddling with them then handling products/surfaces afterwards..would be far safer without in these cases

In general, the use of face masks provide more benefits than drawbacks, and the initial dismissive attitude towards their use had a lot more to do with the Coronavirus not being taken as seriously as it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

In general, the use of face masks provide more benefits than drawbacks, and the initial dismissive attitude towards their use had a lot more to do with the Coronavirus not being taken as seriously as it should have been.

Well I doubt the medics I heard at the start were dismissive/not serious about Coronaviris..those with another agenda perhaps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

His position on masks has completely shifted. I even heard him strongly criticising 'Leo' for failing to make mask wearing mandatory about a month ago.

There has been a u-turn on masks here, in the UK, and in the US. Last week in the UK:

Now I have heard different officials in the UK and US saying that they initially told people not to wear masks so that there would be enough masks available for those in healthcare and those that really need them.

My question to Luke O'Neill would be: Was his initial advice on masks based on political reasoning or scientific reasoning? Because the science on masks has not changed in four months, but his advice has.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

My question to Luke O'Neill would be: Was his initial advice on masks based on political reasoning or scientific reasoning? Because the science on masks has not changed in four months, but his advice has.

Is it true to say that the science hasn’t changed?

If there is a risk that improper use of masks could actually spread the virus, then there needs to be clear evidence that the benefits of mask use outweigh this risk.

From what I remember of recent interviews with Luke O’Neill, he always refers to what the evidence now shows. Cillian de Gascun had previously referred to a lack of evidence in this area for a while (presumably because it’s a new virus). We now have four months of studies and statistics of correlations of covid incidence and mask use that we didn’t have 4 months ago.

Maybe for scientists, the Keynes quote above should be paraphrased as “when the evidence changes, I change my mind”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

For some reason BOC lectured everyone on how important Kanye Fcukin West is

This Kanye piece is like something you might read in the Sunday Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Seems like mental health is fast becoming the go to for people to absolve themselves for their actions, and immediately turn those "cancel him" Twitter posts into "u ok hun?" Twitter posts. Much like pleading insanity in the courts.

Advertisement