Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,288 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

We have had fourteen Taoisigh, and all of them were men. That is a highly abnormal sex distribution. It is stupid to regard this as normal or acceptable.

Is it?

Britain? How many female

US ? How many

France ? How many?

Russia? How many?

And many more........

How is that comparison “highly abnormal”

Seems to this poster to be in line with most other nations.

:confused::confused:

Is it?

Britain? How many female

US ? How many

France ? How many?

Russia? How many?

And many more........

How is that comparison “highly abnormal”

Seems to this poster to be in line with most other nations.

:confused::confused:

You're talking about something called "normative", Brendan. I'm saying that 14 male Taoisigh are not "normal", which is to say, this is not statistically expected. It cannot be explained unless there is some inherent sexism at play.

You're talking about something called "normative", Brendan. I'm saying that 14 male Taoisigh are not "normal", which is to say, this is not statistically expected. It cannot be explained unless there is some inherent sexism at play.

Uhmmm...are you suggesting there is some illegality there.

What exactly is “inherent sexism” .

Like to get a good definition of what exactly that is.

Uhmmm...are you suggesting there is some illegality there.

What exactly is “inherent sexism” .

Like to get a good definition of what exactly that is.

Obviously nothing illegal, it just reflects an historic bias against women, does it not? How can you explain it? If it were pure chance, you'd expect we'd have had half-a-dozen female Taoisigh by now.

Obviously nothing illegal, it just reflects an historic bias against women, does it not? How can you explain it? If it were pure chance, you'd expect we'd have had half-a-dozen female Taoisigh by now.

Circumstances Ty.

History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This Patricia macbride currently on panel - a shinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Anybody know is this the first time we have an All-Ireland Party (Greens) in the Dáil?

Macbride - anyone know her background? Is she SF

I know this isn't really the right thread, but sure look, it's close enough.

Were any of you listening to the politics podcast last night hosted by Maggie Doyle (she's really good, isn't she?) which featured Paul Cunningham and Micheal Lehane. Anyway this Lehane guy made it very clear that he thinks Steven Donnelly really hasn't put in much work despite the "really high opinion he has of himself", "he has a lot of regard for himself" (murmurings of Ouch! from his co-panelists), when Lehane offered the half-hearted praise that "he's a really good communicator" -- that means he's good at self-publicity, I think,

I think this is quite interesting, it was a long day in the office for these guys, and maybe they let their guard down a bit. An interesting insight into some of the new Government, Lehane was similarly withering about Daragh O'Brien, who is our new minister for housing.

I can't find a link outside of social media, so you might need to be logged into facebook to see this, but the relevant clip begins off after 4 minutes (actually, the whole podcast is worth listening to).

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/694816731368700

I know this isn't really the right thread, but sure look, it's close enough.

Were any of you listening to the politics podcast last night hosted by Maggie Doyle (she's really good, isn't she?) which featured Paul Cunningham and Micheal Lehane. Anyway this Lehane guy made it very clear that he thinks Steven Donnelly really hasn't put in much work despite the "really high opinion he has of himself", "he has a lot of regard for himself" (murmurings of Ouch! from his co-panelists), when Lehane offered the half-hearted praise that "he's a really good communicator" -- that means he's good at self-publicity, I think,

I think this is quite interesting, it was a long day in the office for these guys, and maybe they let their guard down a bit. An interesting insight into some of the new Government, Lehane was similarly withering about Daragh O'Brien, who is our new minister for housing.

I can't find a link outside of social media, so you might need to be logged into facebook to see this, but the relevant clip begins off after 4 minutes (actually, the whole podcast is worth listening to).

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/694816731368700

Well done Ty, for bringing up these kind of threads.

I would have not put Lehane into that category, sounds much more like Lenihan for me.

Regarding Donnelly, now is his chance to prove himself, up to now he seemed to have the answer to everything, now he’s been called onto the pitch and so has O’Brien and they get a taste of senior hurling.

I wish them both well, and would not castigate them yet until I see how they perform.

Jury is out on Maggie Doyle in my assessment, bit over enthusiastic and gushing for this poster.

Dial down the enthusiasm meter a bit.... think Audrey Carville...:D.... there’s a professional

• Advertisement

Well done Ty, for bringing up these kind of threads.

I would have not put Lehane into that category, sounds much more like Lenihan for me.

Regarding Donnelly, now is his chance to prove himself, up to now he seemed to have the answer to everything, now he’s been called onto the pitch and so has O’Brien and they get a taste of senior hurling.

I wish them both well, and would not castigate them yet until I see how they perform.

Jury is out on Maggie Doyle in my assessment, bit over enthusiastic and gushing for this poster.

Dial down the enthusiasm meter a bit.... think Audrey Carville...:D.... there’s a professional

It's unfair to measure anyone against Audrey Carville, she's in a different league.

Yes it was quite surprising from Lehane, he's usually so doggedly impartial, has an air of dispassion you'd typically see from a mid-ranking civil servant. Occasionally you catch these people when they're very tired, or have had a few pints, it can be very illuminating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's unfair to measure anyone against Audrey Carville, she's in a different league.

Yes it was quite surprising from Lehane, he's usually so doggedly impartial, has an air of dispassion you'd typically see from a mid-ranking civil servant. Occasionally you catch these people when they're very tired, or have had a few pints, it can be very illuminating.

In fairness Donnelly does seem to like ‘smelling himself’ heard him on I think news at one today.

But will pass no judgement until he gets set up and bedded in.

As I said I would wish him well and every success.

Biggest success would be tackling the unions and vested interests.

Back on topic....Ballsy in my opinion is not doing too well with this gig.

I’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

In fairness Donnelly does seem to like ‘smelling himself’ heard him on I think news at one today.

But will pass no judgement until he gets set up and bedded in.

As I said I would wish him well and every success.

Biggest success would be tackling the unions and vested interests.

I’ll leave it at that.

Promoted beyond his capabilities!

Who are you referring to Jipp.?

That's evidently untrue. Never before have we had a member of Government who is a graduate of both MIT and Harvard. The man could have his choice of better-paying jobs, unlike some other members of the new Government.

His intellectual capacity is not in question, but does he put it to any use? That's the question. Does he use his obvious intelligence for organisational change, or just publicity? I think the former. I think we'll see some big improvements in Health, but the pol-corrs obviously have a better insight into his character than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That's evidently untrue. Never before have we had a member of Government who is a graduate of both MIT and Harvard. The man could have his choice of better-paying jobs, unlike some other members of the new Government.

His intellectual capacity is not in question, but does he put it to any use? That's the question. Does he use his obvious intelligence for organisational change, or just publicity? I think the former. I think we'll see some big improvements in Health, but the pol-corrs obviously have a better insight into his character than we do.

Hopefully it’ll mean we won’t have to hear his analogy about ‘changing the wings of an airplane in flight’ anymore.

No one can implement any “real change” in our health service because of both the unions and a lack of desire to change.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Hopefully it’ll mean we won’t have to hear his analogy about ‘changing the wings of an airplane in flight’ anymore.

No one can implement any “real change” in our health service because of both the unions and a lack of desire to change.

I disagree with you there Emmet, the unions only enjoy an influential status because they represent the best-interests of the workers. They are not some fusty, beard-growing ideological outfit as in times past, that day is long gone.

I think most of us have a new-found appreciation for public health-workers, and our interest in their welfare is nearly as important as the length of waiting lists. Donnelly's appointment is an interesting surprise, lets give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him well.

I apologise for bringing politics into everything lately, I didn't even hear the Brendan O'Connor show today, did anyone? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I heard about 2 mins of her, and this was exactly what I thought. Can't bear her.

Mind you, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the show, in Brendan's hands, just sucks the joy out of everything.

Caught a little of the segment where he had three (all insufferable) new mothers discussing being a new mother during the lock down.

I fired up a podcast when he issued an apology for mansplaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I’ll leave it at that.

He's been anything but ballsy in the Marian slot. Quite the pivot from his soapboxing leads for the Sunday Indo. Obviously the courage of his convictions are disposable.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    He's been anything but ballsy in the Marian slot. Quite the pivot from his soapboxing leads for the Sunday Indo. Obviously the courage of his convictions are disposable.

A bit off topic but how many current RTe and x Rte are writing for Sunday papers?

Ballsy
    Sarah
    McCoille
    Callan
    Duffy...and I’m sure there’s more

I don’t like all my opinion input coming from Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I switched it off after a while. It was just about new mothers in lock down, and members of the green party talking about electing a new leader,
    Both items of no interest to me at all.
    The audio evuivalent of watching paint dry
    I think he's a good presenter in general, but there's only so much anyone can do to make certain topics interesting.
    I listen to it every week as there generally a wide range of topics discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've not missed the Indo since they went subscription a few months ago. Sanity prevails now. What a total fekkin rag that is/was and probably always will be.

The media in this country is homogenous. Cannot talk about Travellers, Asylum seekers, those getting the "free houses", and all the rest of the largesse that those working actually pay for.

Nope. Silenced, it is not up for discussion in any outlet AFAIS, apart from boards like this, and even then it is closely monitored, but at least there is some outlet.

Oh and re O'Connor, sorry now, but his drony voice would drive me to the drink, it's not a great look TBH, and he should have settled in by now. I listen to Newstalk instead. Still the same Leftie Liberals, but at least it's not taxpayer funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

To pick a completely random comparison, would you say that she's in a different league to Mary Wilson?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To pick a completely random comparison, would you say that she's in a different league to Mary Wilson?

:pac:

Mary Wilson is called the Reverend Mother in our house. Me being one of them. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Audrey Carville has a BBC background. Now there's a professional outfit with fantastic content, although I think it has gone down a bit lately. Anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think his voice is fine, a nice change from the usual middle class neutral voice used by most presenters on rte radio

My word, Damien almost losing it with dr Eva there when she told him his breakfast wasn’t healthy!

Calm down damo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

A bit of an interrupting competition between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

My word, Damien almost losing it with dr Eva there when she told him his breakfast wasn’t healthy!

Calm down damo

His rankles were up caught between a rock and a hard place seeing as his wife Catherine counts being a nutrition adviser as one of her many talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

His rankles were up caught between a rock and a hard place seeing as his wife Catherine counts being a nutrition adviser as one of her many talents.

Their marriage ended years ago.

Advertisement