Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’m amazed we still have power in east Galway.we are usually the first to go.trees are whipping outside all day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has become stormy again. A really raw feel to it outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    After a brief lull following the initial squall line earlier, it has blown fairly hard and steady for the past couple of hours here in Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon.
    Don't know about anybody else, but trying to work and follow a fast moving thread has proved a challenge.
    Still a good kick left in this storm out this part of the west.

Agreed. In Ballaghaderreen also, and it has really kicked off again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Sunshine in D4

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Reckon, I just heard a good rumble of thunder there a few minutes ago.
    Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

greenpilot wrote: »
    Agreed. In Ballaghaderreen also, and it has really kicked off again here.

And out here. As bad as earlier today which I was not expecting..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Flash, loud bang & ESB gone. :(
    S Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Is that the end of it now for Dublin? Thinking of going out for a run

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Brendan seems to hang around NW of us for another bit. My barometer hasn't moved at all over the past 5 hours. The latest OPC Atlantic analysis seems to confirm that, plus further interesting developments for the coming days:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

f**k me! Things have escalated very quickly here in Sligo. 6 or 7 blasts of lightning in the last few minutes, the first of which must have been only a few hundred metres from the house - instant rattle of thunder which shook the windows and damn near shook the sh!t out of me!

Surprised there's still power, but have a feeling it's only a matter of time before it's out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wind and rain has started again and it's gone very dark again to the south. Is cork city due another blast or is this just from something else and not associated with Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

torres9kop wrote: »
    Is that the end of it now for Dublin? Thinking of going out for a run

I can see a lot of anger coming from Dublin if that is it. The “colour” warnings aren’t going to be taken very seriously in future.

I mean, “miserable” weather isn’t great but scaring people into staying home from work really is pushing it. Storm names, coupled with the warnings, have sensationalised bad weather.

I get it that people living on the coast, particularly in the north west, tend to get constantly bombarded but the east coast rarely gets anything too bad but we still get the “colour” warnings.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD NOTE

Thanks to those of you who reported the posts and did not respond to them , please don't respond to a post if you think its trolling , just report it as it gives us more to clean up when you respond

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Probability' chart for gusts above 64 knot for 6pm this evening.

zCvgIJM.png

I'd not take this chart too literally, but does serve as a good guide as to where the windiest conditions are more likely to be in this time frame.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I can see a lot of anger coming from Dublin if that is it. The “colour” warnings aren’t going to be taken very seriously in future.

I mean, “miserable” weather isn’t great but scaring people into staying home from work really is pushing it. Storm names, coupled with the warnings, have sensationalised bad weather.

I get it that people living on the coast, particularly in the north west, tend to get constantly bombarded but the east coast rarely gets anything too bad but we still get the “colour” warnings.

The warning was in place for 11am - 3pm for Dublin, which had some pretty bad weather between then. It was also Orange, which has no recommendations about staying home, just to be careful. Seeing as a few trees came down, and a few roof tiles near me as well as it raining pretty heavily for a few hours, I'd say they were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

M6 with a max wave of 19.2 M. Could be highest recorded by the Irish buoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Who scared anyone into not going to work in Dublin?? Between 11 and 3 the orange warning was warranted in the city but they did say in advance it would be during these times.
    If its red you dont go out, everything stops, orange you can still go about your business but be more aware of your surroundings.

They issued the correct warning because it was a hell of alot stronger around the quays in dublin that a yellow and the warning is now lifted. Dont see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

3 people died a just a year or two ago (Ophelia?) all out and about on roads and hit by trees and debris. It’s all very well say it was overblown now or whatever. Better that than a repeat of that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Castlebar is wet and fairly windy with some decent gusts howling up Main St. Hasn't really let up all day.
    10km away the wife tells me it's ferocious at times. Back patio door is bending in with the wind. Max gust on my weather station is 126kph but we're 50m asl in an exposed location so probably higher readings than Furnace weather station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Because it didn't look windy outside your window doesn't mean it wasn't very windy in Dublin. There were debris flying around various parts of Dublin today and trees down in many places. Orange warning seems entirely appropriate.

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »

M6 a good way off the West coast (400km). What will it be like at 7 when it is high tide in Galway, if it is only peaking out there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If people now need to have a specific colour issued by the State, rather than using their own observation and intuition to tell them whether it is safe to go outdoors or not, then I really fear for the future.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Will there be a second tranche to this storm for Dublin? If so, when?

Thanks
    Asitis2019

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Is it over? Or should i expect it untill midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Marine warning has now been downgraded by Met Eireann:
    Gale Warning
    Status Orange - Gale Warning

Gale to storm force southwest winds for the rest of today on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish Sea.

It was monstrously windy in my south Dublin suburb, and my heavy olive tree was blown over in its pot for the first time ever. There were about 6 moments when it was scary outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

road_high wrote: »
    3 people died a just a year or two ago (Ophelia?) all out and about on roads and hit by trees and debris. It’s all very well say it was overblown now or whatever. Better that than a repeat of that day

Conversely I drove through some of the worst effected areas earlier and found the roads much safer, people driving slowly and paying attention.

Wombatman wrote: »
    That is phenomenal if accurate, must be one of the highest ever recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I mean, Kinsale Gas Platform observed a 25m wave during Darwin in February 2014.

• Advertisement

tsunami.jpg

Advertisement