Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Wombatman wrote: »
    NUIG Weather station confirms the lull in wind around the middle of the day, as observered by many on here. Possibly while in the eye of the storm.

Last12HourWindSpeedGust.php

I'd say the strongest gusts Galway City has seen have been in the last hour.

Nearly took the legs from under me at one stage!! Got a fright. Seems to be settling again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

My partner bought into the sensational “scaremongering” and decided to keep the kids home all day, she also insisted that I “work” from home.

So your partner misinterpreted the advice given by Met Eireann and it's their fault? They didn't at any point tell anyone in Dublin to stay home. That's not what an orange warning means.

I generally hate when people comment that the storm is a non event, especially when it hasn't even properly started.
    However, on this occasion, it was a non event were I am in Dublin.
    I'm not saying it as a wind up, just pointing out what I experienced today.

That been said, we have a very large population here. Not to mention the number commuting in and tourists etc so I see why Met have to take extra precautions with Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

NUIG Weather station confirms the lull in wind around the middle of the day, as observered by many on here. Possibly while in the eye of the storm.

The eye of the storm never passed over Ireland. It was located off the NW coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

We dodged a major bullet. Although the central pressure didn't quite fall as deeply as forecast (around 5 hPa higher) it made no difference as the winds were still as savage as they peaked out to sea early this morning. Below are various satellite wind measurements from the past 12 hours (the time of each swathe is given on the bottom of the map). Still strong, but not the 70-ish knots of the first chart from between 3 and 5 am. A few hours later and it would have been Darwin 2.0.

499898.png
    499941.png

499942.png

499943.png

499945.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The eye of the storm was/is a few hundred K out at sea I believe but as you say the forecast was bang on for areas i am familiar with

16:00 Gusts

Mace = 122 km/h
    Belmullet = 124 km/h
    Newport = 93 km/h
    Malin = 109 km/h
    Sherkin = 96 km/h

It looks like Brendan is hitting the NW hard as it moves away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I generally hate when people comment that the storm is a non event, especially when it hasn't even properly started.
    However, on this occasion, it was a non event were I am in Dublin.
    I'm not saying it as a wind up, just pointing out what I experienced today.

That been said, we have a very large population here. Not to mention the number commuting in and tourists etc so I see why Met have to take extra precautions with Dublin.

I think there was quite a massive variation in weather between North and South Dublin. Whilst it was severe in Casement, it was not half as bad at Dublin airport. Thats quite remarkable given Dublin is a small county.

16:00 Gusts

Mace = 122 km/h
    Belmullet = 124 km/h
    Newport = 93 km/h
    Malin = 109 km/h
    Sherkin = 96 km/h

It looks like Brendan is hitting the NW hard as it moves away.

17:00 Gusts

Mace = 111 km/h
    Belmullet = 109 km/h
    Newport = 91 km/h
    Malin = 98 km/h
    Sherkin = 98 km/h

Big ramp down in 1 hour. I think we're done here folks.

I now look forward to Sryanbruen's table :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/watch-cork-driver-lucky-escape-17558429

Watch; Cork driver has lucky escape as storm-felled tree misses car by inches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good forecast from ME, if anything too extensive with orange warning.

It is always a delicate balancing act but on this occasion it worked. They held their nerve on the red in spite of external pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Nearly took the legs from under me at one stage!! Got a fright. Seems to be settling again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nothing much to report in Letterkenny, wouldn't have thought of it as much more than a standard horrible wet and windy day but for all the hype. Strong gusts at times but rain more a feature than wind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Pity the live webcam is gone from outside seapoint.it was great for watching the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still some big gusts coming with the passing hail showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Finally barometer is beginning to rise, so storm Brendan has begun to move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Definitely picked up in Galway City this afternoon and evening. Think it was worse than the morning. Didn’t noticed it too bad this morning but was wild walking up town to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

I'm glad that the sting will not make land access.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Pity the live webcam is gone from outside seapoint.it was great for watching the sea.

i think there is a webcam watching the surf in sligo, i cant remember the site tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Just a few km up along the coast from Mace head here, I don't think Brendan has been anything exceptional, just a Winter storm so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tree down on my shed in castlebar. Shed looks grand but fence is flattened.

Still pretty wild here.

Wild day on Galway but some enjoyable storm watching. I feel energised.
    Orange was spot on. It's nice to have a daytime storm for once.
    There would have been more trees down if they were in leaf.
    My guess is that the trees with heavy ivy come down on a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

i think there is a webcam watching the surf in sligo, i cant remember the site tho

https://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

Too dark to see anything now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Your wish is my command Snow Garden as here is the storm comparison table updated to Brendan and for fun, I have also added Fastnet Lighthouse now (only available back to Doris here). This is a good reflection of seeing just how exposed the site is out at sea. I can add others too by request provided I can have access to the data.

For new visitors, the gusts are colour coded based on the warning system set out on met.ie. Yellow is 90-110 km/h, Orange is 111-130 km/h and Red is greater than 130 km/h.

I will update the max. 10-minute mean wind speeds table next month when the data comes in as always. As I mentioned with the 10-minute mean wind speeds table update that included Atiyah and Elsa I posted yesterday in the Elsa thread, this table is getting a bit big and I think I'll remove some storms in future - that is unless you don't want me to.

I will also mention that given this has been asked on multiple occasions, the storms in the table have either been added per event, by request (like Brian was) or ones that I thought stood out (such as Doris and before).

Zq28exG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Still some very wild gusts here in Co. Clare.

The Orange alert was spot on for this part of the country I'd have to say.

Glad to see RTE news programmes have been much more responsible in their storm coverage this time.
    Their OTT coverage of Lorenzo was a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Thunder and lightning out to the west just now.
    Located just east of Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aidanodr

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Your wish is my command Snow Garden as here is the storm comparison table updated to Brendan and for fun, I have also added Fastnet Lighthouse now (only available back to Doris here). This is a good reflection of seeing just how exposed the site is out at sea. I can add others too by request provided I can have access to the data.

For new visitors, the gusts are colour coded based on the warning system set out on met.ie. Yellow is 90-110 km/h, Orange is 111-130 km/h and Red is greater than 130 km/h.

I will update the max. 10-minute mean wind speeds table next month when the data comes in as always. As I mentioned with the 10-minute mean wind speeds table update that included Atiyah and Elsa I posted yesterday in the Elsa thread, this table is getting a bit big and I think I'll remove some storms in future - that is unless you don't want me to.

I will also mention that given this has been asked on multiple occasions, the storms in the table have either been added per event, by request (like Brian was) or ones that I thought stood out (such as Doris and before).

Zq28exG.png

Looks like Brendan for Cork ( Cork Airport, Roches Pt ) wasnt too far off other heavy hitter storms that were RED?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Good call by Met Eireann. I think there is a red warning for Deric's face

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Great charts Sryan.

Confirms what I thought that quoting Fastnet observations is completely irrelevant.

The sensor and or location are obviously wholly unrepresentative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dublin Airport is incredibly unwindy. Syran's chart would almost have you believing the equipment is faulty. Consistently in the lowest 2-3 stations and hasn't reached yellow criteria in 6 storms which makes it the least windy location in the country when it comes to the ME bunch. But I'd well believe it. Here in D9 a few km south of the airport it's been forever since it's been actually windy. You're talking Doris in 2017, as I don't exactly consider 105km/h reached in Ophelia or Ali as overly bad. A mere breeze to other locations in the country!

Advertisement