Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Wombatman wrote: »
    M6 with a max wave of 19.2 M. Could be highest recorded by the Irish buoys.

As someone who drives the M6 Motorway every day I think it would have been thoughtful if they'd used any of the remaining 25 letters in the alphabet for their buoy-naming convention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Bad enough for a while in north cork near Mallow this morning. Probably worst we’ve had since Darwin in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I dunno, maybe you guys like to make it sound like the “end of days” but how can you honestly believe that was worth an “orange” warning for Dublin?

Ivan Yates just referred to it as “a bit of a damp squib in Dublin”, which is strange since the media have been sensationalising it so much, but I have to say that I agree with him.

Could have left it as a “yellow” for the capital. After this I don’t think many people here will be seeing much of a difference between those two colour warnings, ‘take care and take more care, it’ll be windy’.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

M6 a good way off the West coast (400km). What will it be like at 7 when it is high tide in Galway, if it is only peaking out there now?

High tide doesn't make any difference to swell heights that far out.

tsunami.jpg

TBF that's not a weather event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Very windy here in Ballinrobe. Don't think it's peaked yet. Very strong gusts a few minutes ago. Shook the office building I'm in. Orange warranted for this side of country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

kippy wrote: »
    High tide doesn't make any difference to swell heights that far out.

Waves are high out there because of the storm. Will the same not be true of the costal waves?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Carrickfergus east Antrim....... Rough!!

https://twitter.com/Kscott_94/status/1216729348843167744

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Wind has definitely strengthened in the past hour.east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Pickin up again here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

126KMH at Belmullet
    122KMH at Mace Head

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At 4pm, Bellmullet reporting gust of 124 km/h, Mace Head 122 km/h and Malin Head 109 km/h.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Roches Point's gust of 135 km/h, strongest since Mace Head's 147 km/h gust during Storm Ali in September 2018.

As a matter of interest what are the highest gusts ever recorded at Roches` Point and at Fastnet? Apologies if this has been answered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had some bad thunder and lightening here - weather far worse than this morning - broadband is down and it looks like ESB out around the area.

South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I dunno, maybe you guys like to make it sound like the “end of days” but how can you honestly believe that was worth an “orange” warning for Dublin?

Ivan Yates just referred to it as “a bit of a damp squib in Dublin”, which is strange since the media have been sensationalising it so much, but I have to say that I agree with him.

Could have left it as a “yellow” for the capital. After this I don’t think many people here will be seeing much of a difference between those two colour warnings, ‘take care and take more care, it’ll be windy’.

I might have paid some attention, but then you mentioned Ivan Yates, that's what he does, his whole show is based on dry sarcasm. I don't know if he is trying to be funny or provoke people onto reacting.

Some Heavy hail showers have whipped through here, but not too bad due to shelter from winds. East Galway.

Waves are high out there because of the storm. Will the same not be true of the costal waves?

High tide effects the coast more than it does 400k out at sea.
    Waves that reach the coast tend to be far smaller than those swell sizes out at sea thankfully

I might have paid some attention, but then you mentioned Ivan Yates, that's what he does, his whole show is based on dry sarcasm. I don't know if he is trying to be funny or provoke people onto reacting.

Some Heavy hail showers have whipped through here, but not too bad due to shelter from winds. East Galway.

Trying to get folks to text in and generate some revenue is the key Goa I'd say. He's as big a WUM as Dunphy in his hayday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thunder and Lightning and Hail here now in SW Donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Pickin up again here :(

Where is here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All quiet on the southern front.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As a matter of interest what are the highest gusts ever recorded at Roches` Point and at Fastnet? Apologies if this has been answered already.

91 kts (169 km/h) at Roches Point on 4th February 1957 and Fastnet I cannot confirm but out of data I have, it recorded a gust of 103 kts (191 km/h) during Ophelia on 16th October 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gusting 60 knots at Sligo Airport now, 55 knots at Donegal Airport (where pressure is 967 hPa, the lowest of any land station right now).

METAR EISG 131630Z 22035G60KT 8000 FEW015 07/04 Q////=

METAR EIDL 131630Z 22038G55KT 9000 -RA OVC030 08/03 Q0967=

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Wild again here in Letterkenny. Was pretty bad all morning till about 1.30. Brightened up and winds eased. Dark again by 3 and the rain and wind has been going since. Roof tiles are banging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i might be one regularly complaining that Met Eireann dont get there forecasts right but its pretty much spot on for this one.

getting the second hit now SW Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah, I know he can be a bit sarky but you’d imagine he’d be “bigging up” the talk of devastation and destruction instead of dismissing it but I guess he’s just going on what he saw.

I’m not against the warning “system”. I just think they could do with tailoring it a bit more for the capital. The coast, especially the northwest, should be heeding things like an “orange” warning but to say we had anything like that over here is laughable.

My partner bought into the sensational “scaremongering” and decided to keep the kids home all day, she also insisted that I “work” from home.

It was nice having the day off but it’s a bit of a pain now because the kids have been “cooped” up all day. Complaining that they didn’t get to go out and bounce on the trampoline, which didn’t blow away despite not being weighed down.

Even the swings look fine and they’ve been tangled up in various way after other, stronger, winds.

I’ll be taking the dog out, again, shortly too. Got her out before the rain earlier.

The tide is turning…

NUIG Weather station confirms the lull in wind around the middle of the day, as observered by many on here. Possibly while in the eye of the storm.

Last12HourWindSpeedGust.php

I'd say the strongest gusts Galway City has seen have been in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Appalling out here and worsening all the time. Lights have flickered so clearly we are due a power cut ; exhausted and not well so closing down.

Stay safe please! All safe here. Has been a deeply dreadful day . Hoping tomorrow is A LOT better. Still several hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Advertisement

Back edge of the front in Dundalk. Cleared through round 3pm.

499944.jpeg
    499946.jpeg
    499947.jpeg

Advertisement