Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Is there something painful I'm missing with the idea of splitting each county into a coastal and non coastal zone?

dsmythy wrote: »
    Is there something painful I'm missing with the idea of splitting each county into a coastal and non coastal zone?

I’d do it town to town, but that’s a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ForestFire

froog wrote: »
    you honestly think that would work and not cause unbelievable amounts of confusion?

Why? You look at the map and, if your current location, or any possible destination is red, then do not leave or go to that area? Download maps and zoom or the local radio stations gives the details per towns.

How is trying to issue the same warning for the west coast in Galway and the Midlands in Galway, with the same level not confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I’d do it town to town, but that’s a good idea.

Lets go for broke .. why not a realtime personal weather forecast via watch/phone thats 100% true within 2 metres around you wherever you are, at whatever time. And one that 100% predicts YOUR forecast for the day based on where you are going.

Why not Why not .. That it would seem is the only forecast that might satisfy everybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

There are other threads for discussing the warning system, please use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

aidanodr wrote: »

Ffs people should be personally responsible for their own cars and less of this babysitting sh1te hawking.
    If they haven’t the cop on to move their car after all the floods there in the past,not to mention all the signs telling them,they should be left there and tough luck paddy.
    We are quickly turning into a fcukin gombeen nation where nothing is paddy Irishman’s fault if something goes wrong.
    I’m fcukin sick of hearing about it

For whatever reason the 9 o clock forecast doesn’t work on Player until the morning after for me. Caught it on the proper tv, most in my house think “normal day with care to take”. I’m going to go to work for 8am. Shift starts at 3, but it’ll be over by the time I finish at 12am. Long day? Yeah, but it’s always been about avoiding travelling at the dangerous times, not avoiding work. Long as they don’t make me clock in early, pay me in tea in the canteen & I have my iPad I’ll be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

blah
    Ring LiveLine. Talk to Joe.

It’s actually oddly quiet in this thread all things considered. I really hope people are not “ignoring “ the warnings after the media hype last time out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It’s actually oddly quiet in this thread all things considered. I really hope people are not “ignoring “ the warnings after the media hype last time out.

No doubt a lot of people will and they will be the first to complain if something bad happens to them due to ignoring the warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ForestFire wrote: »

How is trying to issue the same warning for the west coast in Galway and the Midlands in Galway, with the same level not confusing.

Fair point. Ballinasloe is 140km from Clifden or Letterfrack (nearly a 2 hour drive).

They will be very different places tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

For whatever reason the 9 o clock forecast doesn’t work on Player until the morning after for me. Caught it on the proper tv, most in my house think “normal day with care to take”. I’m going to go to work for 8am. Shift starts at 3, but it’ll be over by the time I finish at 12am. Long day? Yeah, but it’s always been about avoiding travelling at the dangerous times, not avoiding work. Long as they don’t make me clock in early, pay me in tea in the canteen & I have my iPad I’ll be OK.

I got it on player at 940. Just search for weather

West/Northwest red tomorrow morning is my guess

Can't see them doing that. I think they either call it tonight, which they haven't, or they won't call it at all.
    If they call it tomorrow morning it risks catching commuters out and if there is one thing in this country that trumps all other things, even met eireann, its the law of 'thou shalt not leave yourself liable to litigation'.
    A Galway resident working in Mayo would need to leave at 7:30 to be at work for 9. No one is obliged to listen to the radio in their car. If they arrive at 9 and the workplace is closed due to a late called red warning, they still have to get home. Driving through red warning conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Can't see them doing that. I think they either call it tonight, which they haven't, or they won't call it at all. If they call it tomorrow morning it risks catching commuters out and if there is one thing in this country that trumps all other things, even met eireann, its the law of 'thou shalt not leave yourself liable to litigation'. A Galway resident working in Mayo would need to leave at 7:30 to be at work for 9. No one is obliged to listen to the radio in their car. If they arrive at 9 and the workplace is closed due to a late called red warning, they still have to get home. Driving through red warning conditions.

The last red warning in these parts was in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cork and Galway are big enough counties to be split in two for these warnings. Perhaps refer to West Galway as Connemara? West Cork is an identity in itself anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Finally got round to setting up my Xmas present of a weather station this evening. Will be interested to see how tomorrow pans out and what winds speeds we get here in Louisburgh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

covey09 wrote: »
    Finally got round to setting up my Xmas present of a weather station this evening. Will be interested to see how tomorrow pans out and what winds speeds we get here in Louisburgh.

I hope it's tied down very well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

499857.jpg

Damn RTE Player cuts off the broadcast before she finished the presentation.

I got it on player at 940. Just search for weather

It’s some permission thing at my end I think. Still can’t fathom it.

Seen a tweet from Davis College Mallow saying that if they upgrade the warning overnight they won’t open.

My hunch is there may be a few calls in sick if reds start popping up (*not* me). Heck the right thing is that people make their own decisions, but Business can’t be allowing that. “If I’M up, EVERYONE’S up”

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭dockysher

Best get da lunch redy i suspous. Doesnt look like we goin get any red for galway 😫😫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Important to put things in perspective.

Arpege 36 member ensemble is giving very little risk of wind gusts above 120km/hr penetrating any further than the immediate coast.

pearpeu-38-48-0-35.png?12-14

Quite high probability of wind gusts exceeding 100km/hr nationally though.

pearpeu-37-66-0-35.png?12-14

So apart from the odd outlier like the ICON, this has been well handled by MET and will be a high end yellowy orange widely and a solid orange at the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Can't see them doing that. I think they either call it tonight, which they haven't, or they won't call it at all.
    If they call it tomorrow morning it risks catching commuters out and if there is one thing in this country that trumps all other things, even met eireann, its the law of 'thou shalt not leave yourself liable to litigation'.
    A Galway resident working in Mayo would need to leave at 7:30 to be at work for 9. No one is obliged to listen to the radio in their car. If they arrive at 9 and the workplace is closed due to a late called red warning, they still have to get home. Driving through red warning conditions.

Willfully not staying updated to hear of any changes to a well publicised warning is just brain-dead.

Any person who has to travel tomorrow and doesn't check radio, TV or internet updates before leaving the bouse is looking for trouble.

Unless your power goes and mobile signal goes down then you have no excuse in these types of conditions.

For me the biggest concern is the person who just checks the conditions in the location they are presently in, and not the conditions forecasted on their routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭pauldry

Red Marine warning so I'd expect 140kph gusts in Connemara

Maybe 125kph Belmullet and Newport
    120kph Finner
    123kph Malin
    110 to 120 Roches pt Valentia Sherkin Shannon
    Sligo 118kph!

Lengthy storm so expect thousands of power outages some fallen trees and possible structural damage in the West

Also very high tides with over spilling in Salthill and Spiddal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi. When is it meant to hit the west coast? Any high level guideline on the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭Storm 10

pauldry wrote: »
    Red Marine warning so I'd expect 140kph gusts in Connemara

Maybe 125kph Belmullet and Newport
    120kph Finner
    123kph Malin
    110 to 120 Roches pt Valentia Sherkin Shannon
    Sligo 118kph!

Lengthy storm so expect thousands of power outages some fallen trees and possible structural damage in the West

Also very high tides with over spilling in Salthill and Spiddal

Marine warnings don't apply to the mainland if they did we would be red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Tut, no red alert, off to bed with the lot of yee now, it would have be nice to have a day off from the grind But weather in Ireland is biatch.

Can't get the snow
    Can't get the heatwaves
    Can't get the storms.

It always goes somewhere else hahaha.

Derek will be morto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Danno wrote: »
    499857.jpg

Damn RTE Player cuts off the broadcast before she finished the presentation.

Is it not a bit odd that there's a threat to life but no reds issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Lightning being detected in the Atlantic. Interesting to see just how far out that really bad weather can be detected, so much farther than with the rainfall radars.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=4;s=0;o=0;b=41.74;ts=0;y=52.4292;x=-4.0869;z=5;d=4;dl=6;dc=0;ts24=0;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/deric_tv/status/1216433967999737857

This guys fake map has made it to the tabloids:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4980406/storm-brendan-in-ireland-red-warning-predictions/

And onto other soc media:

https://twitter.com/bangorsinnfein/status/1216491038405222407

Its that simple to spread, and that quick to go from fake to accepted by some

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Is it not a bit odd that there's a threat to life but no reds issued?

The problem is that if they go red there will be a countywide shutdown wherever they call it.

Then you will have businesses in say, Portumna, disrupted unnecessarily if the warning is only warranted in say Clifden.

Advertisement