Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

fr336 wrote: »
    I'd love Twitter to ban him. So what if he then attempted to close it down, where are his mob going to go which has no much exposure? They will be like hermits shouting into the dark, Twitter gives this idiot so much undiluted oxygen.

If they ban him he could do serious damage to them I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MadYaker wrote: »

Trump like every other person on twitter or any online forum/social media still has to abide by the rules laid down.

If he breaks those rules he has zero case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Midlife wrote: »
    Disagree to an extent.

His hardcore will bemoan the days of yore but basically not get involved in politics again. They'll stick to WWF or something.

Republicans will flip on him as soon as he's no longer in with a chance of being electable. Their loyalty will dissappear quickly.

Interestingly most pro wrestling fans are democratic not republican although vast majority of pro wrestlers and those with strong interest in bodybuilding are republican.

052911_sailertwo.PNG

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

MadYaker wrote: »

He really can't though... He can rant and stomp his feet , but not a whole lot more to be honest.

Any change to the current laws around Social Media would require an Act of Congress - Not a chance the House would support him.

He could try to sue them , but he'd lose - Private companies can set any rules they like.

Trump being banned from Twitter is hardly going to do them any reputational damage now is it?

In terms of his 80M followers maybe leaving Twitter?
    How many of them are just there for the show vs. those that actually support him? - Based on the typical responses to his tweets, it's 50:50 at best and even then there's nothing to suggest that large numbers of them would abandon twitter entirely just because he's banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So seems like Trump is doubling down and retweeting a video that says 'The only good democrat is a dead democrat', Incitement to violence?

(what's happening? I'm signing a post with a question mark like trump tweets, Stockholm syndrome in effect)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He really can't though... He can rant and stomp his feet , but not a whole lot more to be honest.

Any change to the current laws around Social Media would require an Act of Congress - Not a chance the House would support him.

He could try to sue them , but he'd lose - Private companies can set any rules they like.

Trump being banned from Twitter is hardly going to do them any reputational damage now is it?

In terms of his 80M followers maybe leaving Twitter?
    How many of them are just there for the show vs. those that actually support him? - Based on the typical responses to his tweets, it's 50:50 at best and even then there's nothing to suggest that large numbers of them would abandon twitter entirely just because he's banned.

RTE saying he's going after all of the social media companies via executive order.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0527/1143066-trump-social-media/

"The executive order would require the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to propose and clarify regulations under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, a federal law largely exempting online platforms from legal liability for the material their users post.

Such changes could expose tech companies to more lawsuits."

---

So, the tGOP, the party of censorship and chaos. On the way to greatness, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trumps war on freedom of expression [excepting his] has had an effect. Mark Zuckerberg said on Fox News [1st link below] that F/B wont be arbiters of truth, seeming to take a differing approach to that of Twitter's Jack Dorsey. The 2nd link below refers to that differing approach but it denied me access, lack of permission, so it might be for US readers only.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/28/zuckerberg-facebook-police-online-speech-trump

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-world/mark-zuckerberg-reacts-president-trump-twitter-feud/507-4a686631-7563-427f-ac9f-96f8c41fa870

I'm using "seeming" as [IMO] advising social media platform users to examine what in front of them is NOT arbiting on the truth of an article's content. It still leaves the decision with the reader. I reckon Trump may have another form of media platform in his sights should he go ahead with his stated intent to sign an executive order in an effort to deprive U.S citizens of freedom of expression public platforms on the internet. Will Trump include Google in his executive order list of internet media platforms?

So the thing is: is it an A and B: will he sign his order and will he try to put it in force, or is he just waffling? Is it his intent to shut down any mention of or contrary comment on his opposition to the mail-in vote issue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Over 100,000 dead... Over 17,000 lies... And you reckon Roth's goose is cooked, because he spoke the truth in each of the tweets you quote???

EDIT: I see Forbes is reporting that it's over 18,000 lies now... and the daily average is actually rising.... so hard to keep up...

It's pointless trying to talk to someone who says Trump is an actual Nazi or a tangerine.

Childish sort of stuff.
    Joe Biden is a Nazi
    Kanye West is a turnip.
    Stop the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Midlife wrote: »
    Disagree to an extent.

His hardcore will bemoan the days of yore but basically not get involved in politics again. They'll stick to WWF or something.

Republicans will flip on him as soon as he's no longer in with a chance of being electable. Their loyalty will dissappear quickly.

These people are the former Tea party, they will hitch to the next bandwagon that will allow them to hate blindly, whether it is Ivanka Trump or some other celeb they can get behind. They are not going away unfortunately, next term they may just be polishing their guns but they will be back in 4 years to support their new guy. I am sure their will be some Bengazi or email server if Biden is elected they will rally against. Until the GOP, Fox and co switch their platform to all Americans instead of the "Real" Americans in the flyover states, there will always be a 30% who will back them no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's pointless trying to talk to someone who says Trump is an actual Nazi or a tangerine.

Childish sort of stuff.
    Joe Biden is a Nazi
    Kanye West is a turnip.
    Stop the lights

Yeah just as childish as your digs about Biden. Your lack of self awareness is funny.

• Advertisement

Yeah just as childish as your digs about Biden. Your lack of self awareness is funny.

Why is it ok for people to say that Trump is literally a Nazi?

Joe Biden is a registered sex offender. Can I just throw that out?

Why is it ok for people to say that Trump is literally a Nazi?

Joe Biden is a registered sex offender. Can I just throw that out?

Who called him a Nazi? He's been called racist, probably because he has a long history of racism.

Who called him a Nazi? He's been called racist, probably because he has a long history of racism.

Continuously called a Nazi. Just read back through the replies.

Long history of racism?

Long history of racism?

I wouldn't call him a nazi, he is a bit of a racist though and has been weirdly sympathetic towards Nazis in the past. He does have a long history of racism. Eg

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html

Long history of racism?

"****hole countries"

Central Park Five where he placed an ad calling for their execution.

Birtherism.

His company sued by the DOJ for discriminating against African American tenants.

Calling Mexican immigrants rapists

Pandering to white supremacists

Tweeting that several black and brown members of Congress should go back to their own countries.

Do I need to go on? You knew all this already of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

"****hole countries"

Birtherism.

His company sued by the DOJ for discriminating against African American tenants.

Tweeting that several black and brown members of Congress should go back to their own countries.

He knows all this well.

But media. Or something... Something

I wouldn't call him a nazi, he is a bit of a racist though and has been weirdly sympathetic towards Nazis in the past. He does have a long history of racism. Eg

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/us/politics/donald-trump-housing-race.html

Check the date on that article. It was 1960s America!
    Everyone was a racist back then. Black people were treated as second class citizens by all. Trump was at fault there but it was a different time.
    Be honest.

Have a look into the American civil rights movement. This was a different time my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Check the date on that article. It was 1960s America!
    Everyone was a racist back then. Black people were treated as second class citizens by all. Trump was at fault there but it was a different time.
    Be honest.

Have a look into the American civil rights movement. This was a different time my friend.

Everyone?

"****hole countries"

Birtherism.

Sh1thole countries isn't racist. That's a stretch.

Central park 5 ad : have you actually read the text of the ad. I just did. Perhaps you should too

Birtherism: a statement questioning Obama's birthplace. How is this racist? He's accusing Obama of lying about his place of birth.

African American tenants: 1960s America. A different world and you know it. Also it's privately owned property.

Mexican rapists: How about a report from doctors without borders? And reposted on by NBC. Read the facts

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/report-paints-harrowing-picture-central-america-migration-n758446

Pandering to white supremacists: how about a fact check since some of you are so fond of twitter's recent ones.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/trump-has-condemned-white-supremacists/

Tweeting about foreign born Congress members: Born overseas yet complaining about the United States that has been so good to them. Very easy if you aren't happy then leave. This isn't racist. It's common sense. Would you stay somewhere you weren't happy?

All of your posted points are biased driven opinion comments that are easily stripped down and taken a part by facts.

salmocab wrote: »
    Everyone?

White America as a group oppressed black people in all walks of life hence the civil rights movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

White America as a group oppressed black people in all walks of life hence the civil rights movement.

That doesn’t mean everyone was racist, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jebus, Blueshoe. I have seen some twisting of facts posts on here before that that really takes the biscuit.

You don't really believe all that nonsense do you? That Trump was simply a racist coz lots of others were back then?

Central Park 5 was clearly racist. On what other grounds was he saying they were guilty? Did he know the facts (of course not as he was wrong).

That he only questioned Obamas birth because he originally came from Hawaii or something?

That he only thinks that those particular members of congress, who happen to be coloured and women, are the only ones unhappy with the state of the US? I mean, he said it himself that the US is a total mess, 'carnage in our cities", why did he not go back?
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

All of your posted points are biased driven opinion comments that are easily stripped down and taken a part by facts.

You've provided easily disputable opinions - not facts.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Jebus, Blueshoe. I have seen some twisting of facts posts on here before that that really takes the biscuit.

You don't really believe all that nonsense do you? That Trump was simply a racist coz lots of others were back then?

Central Park 5 was clearly racist. On what other grounds was he saying they were guilty? Did he know the facts (of course not as he was wrong).

That he only questioned Obamas birth because he originally came from Hawaii or something?

That he only thinks that those particular members of congress, who happen to be coloured and women, are the only ones unhappy with the state of the US? I mean, he said it himself that the US is a total mess, 'carnage in our cities", why did he not go back?
    '

America was a different place back then. Whites and blacks didn't have equal rights. Are you going to deny that? Are you saying that the civil rights movement didn't happen or it was for no reason?

You need to read the advert. Here's a snippet: "Many new York families -White , Black, Hispanic and Asian have had to give up the pleasure of a leisurely stroll in the park at dusk" Yeah so racist.
    The advert is an attack on the police and the break down of law and order. Read it and point out the racist parts.

If Obama was born overseas he isn't eligible to be US president. That's the law. So racist.

Those members stood up to him and were silly enough to get involved in a public spat. Again if you don't like it somewhere why not leave.

Again facts about most of the above are easily researched. This is ridiculous

moon2 wrote: »
    You've provided easily disputable opinions - not facts.

No they are facts. Followed by links and stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

America was a different place back then. Whites and blacks didn't have equal rights. Are you going to deny that? Are you saying that the civil rights movement didn't happen or it was for no reason?

You need to read the advert. Here's a snippet: "Many new York families -White , Black, Hispanic and Asian have had to give up the pleasure of a leisurely stroll in the park at dusk" Yeah so racist.
    The advert is an attack on the police and the break down of law and order. Read it and point out the racist parts.

If Obama was born overseas he isn't eligible to be US president. That's the law. So racist.

Those members stood up to him and were silly enough to get involved in a public spat. Again if you don't like it somewhere why not leave.

Obama wasn't born overseas. The only reason he was accused was because he is black. So yeah pretty bloody racist. He had 0 evidence for Obama being born abroad and yet pushed it and even promised evidence on occasion. None was ever forthcoming as he based it all off of his skin colour. Similarly for the trio he thought should fix their own country first. Again he only mentioned that because he saw their skin colour.

Ah yes. They got into a spat that justifies it racism. If someone gets into a spat you are allowed be racist to them. That makes no sense.

I mean Trump implied the US was a garbage country in 2016. Why didn't he leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sh1thole countries isn't racist. That's a stretch.

Central park 5 ad : have you actually read the text of the ad. I just did. Perhaps you should too

Birtherism: a statement questioning Obama's birthplace. How is this racist? He's accusing Obama of lying about his place of birth.

African American tenants: 1960s America. A different world and you know it. Also it's privately owned property.

Mexican rapists: How about a report from doctors without borders? And reposted on by NBC. Read the facts

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/report-paints-harrowing-picture-central-america-migration-n758446

Pandering to white supremacists: how about a fact check since some of you are so fond of twitter's recent ones.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/trump-has-condemned-white-supremacists/

Tweeting about foreign born Congress members: Born overseas yet complaining about the United States that has been so good to them. Very easy if you aren't happy then leave. This isn't racist. It's common sense. Would you stay somewhere you weren't happy?

Those congresswomen weren't all born overseas. Some were just as American as him. Maybe he assumed those non-caucasians were born overseas? Wonder if there's a word for that...

He called for the death penalty for them and still says they did it even though they didn't. Back in 89 he said: "Maybe hate is what we need if we're gonna get something done".... So yes, a racist ****e. But you'll defend endlessly, there's no benefit to arguing it with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hawaii is an American state. The Birther movement isn't even up for debate. Obama was born in the US. To suggest Trump's campaign was intellectually honest is itself disingenuous bad faith in of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

No they are facts. Followed by links and stats.

At best we can agree that 1/2 of your beliefs are backed by links.

The link about "Mexican rapists" also doesn't even back up your point, assuming you're intending to defend what Trump actually said. Trump claimed the immigrants are rapists. The article makes no such claim.

Trump wished to close the borders as a result. The article suggests doing the opposite - offering more help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement