Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

32 points off 12 (17/14)
    1 Birdie
    7 pars
    6 bogeys
    4 doubles or worse
    Little bit windy but otherwise perfect conditions

One of those weird rounds where I was hitting the ball great but not taking my chances and the my bad holes were disasters. My 7 pars were 2 putts which tells me my iron and wedge play at times was great. Made a stupid error on second hole not taking medicine which ended up as a scratch. Lost ball on third hole just picking a bad line with a recovery shot. Nearly holed out for an ace on the 4th, ball rolled by the hole 2 feet for my birdie

Overall happy, compared to my last comp (which I won) I was hitting the ball way better yesterday than then. Golf is so much about not making stupid mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

39 points off 14.
    Forward tees and placing everywhere.
    Happy but short game was extremely poor and left a lot out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Last game of 2020 as it turned out on Tuesday. 28pts for 13 holes off 17. After I scratched 6 & 7 I was even par from 8-13. Very pleased with that. Roll on 2021.............

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Last round of 2020 brought me my first eagle! Holed in from 155yards with a 7 iron on par 4. Ball bounced 6ft from hole and into cup. Cheaper than a hole in one:D
    Struck the ball well all round and hit 7 greens in regulation. Turned in 4 over after lipping out for a 39. Then got tired and very nervous with a potential great score
    Finished with 38 points off 18 and a score of 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I am a mid teens handicapper and have struggled with my game for a couple of years to the point of wondering was it worth pursuing anymore but just lately there have been signs that it is coming back. My struggles would be a pull hook off the tee, blading chips and missing 2 or 3 putts inside 4 feet per round. I seem to have eradicated the putting yips entirely by changing to pencil grip and holing a couple of 10-12 footers per round. The hooks off the tee aren't as frequent. Up to this year I can never recall making an eagle but I have 3/4 in last few months. I spent countless hours watching YouTube videos and got some lessons as well to improve ball striking and I after years of study I finally stumbled on a fix for my own swing that I was never comfortable with. It all boiled down to a simple hinge of the wrists upwards on my backswing. I'm thinking less at address now. My only regret is that it will be months before I can try and bed down the technique and create some muscle memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

A fine sunny Sunday morning greeted myself and my 3 playing partners at an unusually early start for me of 7-45, we greet each other with the usual driver high 5s We hold back and tee off when the group ahead is on the green some 545 yds away. Can't be too careful !! After a slightly steery drive I'm away thank god for that and with some luck and a good 10 ft putt I par the hole, A bad pull on the 2nd leaves me in the trees with only a hack out as my only option, my approach then misses green left and after a tricky downhill chip I leave myself 8 or so feet from the hole, 2 putts later and a double bogey goes down on the card. After all of my playing partners come up short on the par 3 third I Go up a club to a 7 iron as there seems to be a zipher of a breeze into our faces, a well hit shot flies over the pin and practically stops dead about 20 ft from the hole, a superb putt and chi ching the ball drops in for a birdie and having entered the 2s club that's a great start to this delayed year. Hole 4 a tough par 4 and I'm happy to get away with a 5 and 2 pts.. Nothing lost to the field there, holes 5&6 par 3 and par 5 I parred so 2 over after 6 I'm happy out. Hole 7 is my bogie hole and I resist the temptation to hit driver and hit my trusty 5 wood to keep it in play, I hit middle of fairway and another 5 wood shot leaves me 30 yds short of the green, a poor pitch and I'm looking at a 30 ft downhill putt that clatter the pin thankfully and I tap in for bogey. A straightforward par on the 8th and a messy 3 putt on 9 for another bogey has me out in 40 shots and 17 pts. Bell has gone on 10th fairway as we exit 9th Green so we are moving nicely on the course, 1 hour 50 for a Fourball after 9 is not too bad. A stinger 2 iron off the 10th tee my best of the day so far(shots like this bring you back for more) leaves me 130 out and a downhill shot to a tight pin behind the right bunker, I hit a controlled 9 iron and leave a 25/30 foot putt which I leave short in the jaws(don't you hate that) but a par is a good way to start back 9..A poor tee shot on par 3 11th leaves me an impossible pitch over a bunker to a tight pin, I chicken out of the big Phil lob shot as I'm still rusty after such a long lay off so I make sure I give myself a par putt, I give the putt a good luck and tap in for a bogey 4...I steady the ship on next 2 holes a dogleg left par 4 12th and a dogleg right par 5 13th with two easy enough pars.. I block my drive on 14th and I end up in the middle of the 15th fairway. I let my playing partners hit as I wait for the group on 15 to hit their 2nd shots before I approach my ball. (can't be too careful as I said before) a five iron second shot leaves me in a greenside bunker, a full swing and hitting the sand a full 3 inches behind the ball I'm lucky that the ball just clears the lip and trickles down onto the green 15 or so feet from the pin, my first putt comes up a good 2 feet short of the hole and a tentative 2nd putt just catches enough of the edge of the cup to fall in for a bogey 5...The par 5 15th is played conservatively and with a 2 putt from all of 30 ft another par is bagged. I now stand on the 16th tee and with the group ahead walking off the 17th tee and group behind walking down to take their 2nd shots I remark to my playing partners that this social distancing thing was made for golf, they all agree and wonder why government and nphet did not allow us back to the course earlier. Anyway a good enough tee shot to the heart of the green leaves a handy 2 putt and another par.. I stand on the 17th tee and think to myself 2 pars for 37 pts happy days.. Big mistake getting ahead of myself as I block my tee shot and just stay in bounds and my only option for my second shot is to lay up to the gap 100 yds short of the green on this index 1 par 4, I hit a decent wedge shot to middle of green as to take on the left back pin and miss it left leaves you in no man's land, two putts later a bogey goes on the card.. Ah the 18th uphill par 4 but at least a front pin that is three clubs less into the green than if at the back, a half decent drive which covers the mound on right side of fairway but just not long enough to make the short grass beyond leaves me 120 uphill to the pin, an 8 iron is needed and a well hit shot only makes the front edge of the green, one of my playing partners after a great drive skins his 2nd shot and with an almighty bang the ball crashes against the flag and to much hilarity we see his ball sit only 3 ft from the pin.. Don't you just love this game as there is always something to cling onto and bring you back for more.. A two putt par for me and a birdie for one of my playing partners and two respectable bogies and 2 pts for the other 2 we ramble off towards our cars and reflect on a great day out and some good and not so good golf. I'm thrilled to see I broke 80, shot 79 wIth 19pts on the back 9 and 36 pts off my 6.8 WHS handicap. We all post our scores on the club app and bid our farewells until the next time.. Whenever that is.. REMEMBER THOSE DAYS ??

Paragraph plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

Unless I’m very much mistaken that’s Lisheen Springs.

Doubt even the 2000 version of Tiger Woods could execute the 2 iron stinger off the tenth tee leaving a 130 yard approach!

Unless I’m very much mistaken that’s Lisheen Springs.

Doubt even the 2000 version of Tiger Woods could execute the 2 iron stinger off the tenth tee leaving a 130 yard approach!

Forward winter tees haha

Paragraph plz.

OK teacher, reeding and righting not the best

• Advertisement

88 strokes last Saturday off 18 and that included a quadruple! 6 pars and 8 bogeys. When I totted it all up I hit 2 GIR for the round so I don’t think I’ve turned a corner or anything!

Driver is inconsistent and I’m never too far away from a massive slice or the dreaded sky drive! The slice tho is worse cause that often leaves you with your third from the tee...

I had 28 putts and a chip in. One three putt which came from a GIR. Getting out of bunkers well now and hitting 5, 6 irons and the 5 wood off the fairway better than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

88 strokes last Saturday off 18 and that included a quadruple! 6 pars and 8 bogeys. When I totted it all up I hit 2 GIR for the round so I don’t think I’ve turned a corner or anything!

Driver is inconsistent and I’m never too far away from a massive slice or the dreaded sky drive! The slice tho is worse cause that often leaves you with your third from the tee...

I had 28 putts and a chip in. One three putt which came from a GIR. Getting out of bunkers well now and hitting 5, 6 irons and the 5 wood off the fairway better than before.

2 GIR explains your 'good' putting numbers. Would suggest that you chipped and pitched pretty well in the round

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Our 3 ball scores for the first qualifying medal were as follows:

Handicap 5 - 86 gross
    Handicap 7 - 89 gross
    Handicap 8 - 94 gross

Altogether shocking from us all :eek::eek::eek:

Also on this point, one of my playing partners "dinged" a hole and under the new system this goes down as +5 gross on this hole. In a stableford comp it doesn't really matter but seems a bit excessive when in an old medal for handicap purposes it simply went down as +2 for your equivalent stableford score.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

30 points off 7

2 birdies
    5 pars
    7 bogeys
    4 doubles

3 x 3putts in first 5 holes
    Chipping is shocking, had 1 up and down all day.
    37 putts
    nearly holed a wedge on index 4 for 5 points.

willabur wrote: »
    2 GIR explains your 'good' putting numbers. Would suggest that you chipped and pitched pretty well in the round
    Yeah I was unlucky not to have more GIR and got up and down at least 4 times

Solid too with those 30-50 yard pitches. Always put myself in 2putt territory

Our 3 ball scores for the first qualifying medal were as follows:

Handicap 5 - 86 gross
    Handicap 7 - 89 gross
    Handicap 8 - 94 gross

Altogether shocking from us all :eek::eek::eek:

Also on this point, one of my playing partners "dinged" a hole and under the new system this goes down as +5 gross on this hole. In a stableford comp it doesn't really matter but seems a bit excessive when in an old medal for handicap purposes it simply went down as +2 for your equivalent stableford score.

In the end this round hasn't appeared on my Golf Ireland scores. Whereas Sunday's have appeared.

So maybe this comp ended up being scoring reduction only?!

Masters scoreboard doesn't give you the standard scratch anymore unfortunately, but i see only 3 players shot a net 69 or better (gross is 70). So maybe with scoring so poor it went to reduction only?

one annoying feature of this new WHS is no handicaps are shown on HDID results, this would have been annoying in previous years but i feel it's now even worse with the higher chance for variability in a player's handicap.

It's the same on Masters Scoreboard...all in all i don't see this GolfIreland app as an improvement.

In the end this round hasn't appeared on my Golf Ireland scores. Whereas Sunday's have appeared.

So maybe this comp ended up being scoring reduction only?!

Masters scoreboard doesn't give you the standard scratch anymore unfortunately, but i see only 3 players shot a net 69 or better (gross is 70). So maybe with scoring so poor it went to reduction only?

So this round was eventually uploaded but 3/4 days later.

If i'd shot a net 65 and was due a cut and then played on the Sunday with an out of date handicap how would that have worked? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

So this round was eventually uploaded but 3/4 days later.

If i'd shot a net 65 and was due a cut and then played on the Sunday with an out of date handicap how would that have worked? :confused:

Invalidated

It's better to play it safe and use the handicap you think you may get cut to.

And it's 2021, can we get a new thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »

And it's 2021, can we get a new thread?

If one hadnt been started by next week, I was going to start one when I get out for a round.

Theres bound to be at least one person on here who has a round lined up in he republic next monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

If one hadnt been started by next week, I was going to start one when I get out for a round.

Theres bound to be at least one person on here who has a round lined up in he republic next monday :D

One?? Ive 3 so far ..lol.. :D

30 points off 7

2 birdies
    5 pars
    7 bogeys
    4 doubles

3 x 3putts in first 5 holes
    Chipping is shocking, had 1 up and down all day.
    37 putts
    nearly holed a wedge on index 4 for 5 points.

Another 30 points

1 birdie
    6 pars
    8 bogeys (one was a lost ball, birdied 2nd ball)
    1 double
    2 lost balls - didn't reload

26 putts in 16 holes
    4 GIR which is fairly shocking for me

Less lost balls and better iron shots needed.

Don't know. Don't care. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

First game yesterday.

16 points in tough conditions for your first game in 6 months or so.

Was happy with my driving, iron play was terrible.

First competition on Saturday. Hopefully an improvement on 16!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭CONSI

30 points off 8...couldnt buy a putt, had 36 off 8 the week before, but Comp was won with 45 points off 18 so I have decided to stop playing comps as their is no point a a single digit handicapper I just cant compete with the new handicap systems, top 5 places were all over 18 handicap and I'm not interested in best gross which is what I keep being told when I play in comps. Anyone else really frustrated with new handicap system?

Advertisement