Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gypsy79 wrote: »
    My club are planning to be qualifying all winter once there is only placing in the fairway

They were told this was OK as part of WHS. Part of the logic for two 9 hole comps instead of the usual 12/14 we used to play too

this has been OK for as long as I can recall, not just WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Seve OB wrote: »
    this has been OK for as long as I can recall, not just WHS.

Sorry my mistake. I should have said clarified it as part of WHS meetings

I got the impression they were going to use it a lot more this winter from my conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Won division class with 38pts.
    Was 5 over after my first 5holes, but then went level par for my next 13.
    Up and down round, after the 5th hole expectations were low. But in the next 13 holes I found 5 birdies. Even still, I doubled b. 14 out of nowhere, and bogeyed 15. So it still wasn't really anything too special until a birdy, birdy, birdy finish to add 10 pts in last three holes. Won a fairly nice looking nespresso machine + fourball voucher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I got the impression they were going to use it a lot more this winter from my conversation

Unless they are a links, did they inform the Irish weather their intention to run qualifying all winter as well ;)

i would like to think so, but to be honest, playing the last few days with placing fairway only and i can't see it lasting long. lots of mud balls everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I dont want to talk about it😷😢

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

i would like to think so, but to be honest, playing the last few days with placing fairway only and i can't see it lasting long. lots of mud balls everywhere

We are placing everywhere, and I think we use a CONGU rule that allows it to be counting as we have animals on the course? :confused::confused:

etxp wrote: »
    We are placing everywhere, and I think we use a CONGU rule that allows it to be counting as we have animals on the course? :confused::confused:

different rules.
    AFAIK you should be placing the ball back exactly as it had been lying

Preferred Lies and Cleaning the ball - Model Local Rules – E-2 and E-3
    In Ireland the Preferred Lie period is from November 1st to April 30th
    . Clubs can run Qualifying
    Competitions during this period when both Model Local Rule E-2 and E-3 are in force. It is recommended
    that a Local Rule permitting preferred lies in the general area outside of the preferred lies period should be
    used only in extreme circumstances where scores will not be accepted for handicapping purpose.
    Model Local Rule E-2 allows players to clean their ball in designated areas in the General Area. The ball
    must be marked before lifting and cleaning. The ball must be replaced on its original spot before playing.
    Model Local Rule E-2 can be in force at any time.
    The purpose of preferred lies as described in this Model Local Rule E-3 is to protect areas of the course
    cut to fairway height or less. This Model Local Rule allows players to lift, clean and place the ball within six
    inches in the General Area cut to fairway height. It is recommended that the ball should be marked before
    lifting. The ball must be placed in the relief area within six inches of the reference point.
    When MLR E-2 and MLR E-3 are used during the preferred lies period scores may be returned
    for handicap adjustment.

different rules.
    AFAIK you should be placing the ball back exactly as it had been lying

We have placing within 6 inches. I don't really play in the counting comps this time of year, just the winter league which is 15 holes.

We have placing within 6 inches. I don't really play in the counting comps this time of year, just the winter league which is 15 holes.

placing within 6 inches is fine for qualifying if it is the fairway only.
    if in the rough, i don't think qualifying is allowed.

• Advertisement

placing within 6 inches is fine for qualifying if it is the fairway only.
    if in the rough, i don't think qualifying is allowed.

we are getting away with it somehow and I thought it was because animals are free to roam the land. I will have to look into it, might change for the WHS.

we are getting away with it somehow and I thought it was because animals are free to roam the land. I will have to look into it, might change for the WHS.

sounds odd, someone else might know why it is allowed, but i don't think it should be, either at the moment or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The animals must be keeping it all closely mown :)

Only half joking! That could be there reason, there isn't a lot of heavy rough there at all!?

PARlance wrote: »
    The animals must be keeping it all closely mown :)

Only half joking! That could be there reason, there isn't a lot of heavy rough there at all!?

they do a good job of it :) There is a good bit of rough, but it wouldn't be long, gets kind of long in the summer.

I'm off 10.
    Played yesterday. Was 18 over........... and that was just on the front 9 :( 8 whole points.

Kinda got my sh1t together on the back 9 and rattled in 3 birdies to come home +2. That back 9 included 3 lip outs, one for birdie, one for a par, one for bogey. One bad shot on the 14th meant I was only putting for bogey instead par and it lipped out. A brutal shot into 15 from 112 yards came up well short in bunker. No sand under the ball and it flew the green costing me another double!

best shot of the day, a pure strike with a 5iron into about 8 foot on 18 and knocked in the tricky breaking putt for a 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

sounds odd, someone else might know why it is allowed, but i don't think it should be, either at the moment or in the future.

Seems a strange one alright. I know there is a variant for clean and replace, as opposed to clean and place, so clean the ball but cant improve your lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Played 9 at 8am this morning (been a long time since I played early)

Started birdie/birdie/par then somehow from 2 yards off a par 4 in 2 I got a 6 as bladed 2 chips over and back, then birdied the next then par/par then triple bogey before another bladed chip on 9th to cause a bogey...

Strangest game ever 3 birdies, 1 bogey, 1 double bogey, 1 triple bogey, 3 pars....

On bright note putting was on point but my driving of the ball and chipping where awful but iron game was on point (including a 176yard 6 iron into a small breeze to 2 ft on 5th which in all honesty made it all worth while)

Had 36 (15/21) points of 18 in Balcarrick 38 putts (21/17) so it is a reflection on my scoring. Two really bad misses but it is my real weak area at the minute as a shortish player off the tee

My putting is still terrible. I never hole anything! Finally got fitted for a new putter from Foregolf. Ended up with the oddyssey two ball

I will be happy if I can consistently get to 36 putts or less

My last 6 rounds have been 38, 40, 39, 36, 43, 38 putts

Today I was chipping and piching well and not taking the chance. The one one putt was for 6 inches.

But I have consistently been leavng 5/6 footers after poor distance control. My average miss in testing my old putter from 12 feet was 1.5 feet. The new putter was 3 inches. So living in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Had 36 (15/21) points of 18 in Balcarrick 38 putts (21/17) so it is a reflection on my scoring. Two really bad misses but it is my real weak area at the minute as a shortish player off the tee

My putting is still terrible. I never hole anything! Finally got fitted for a new putter from Foregolf. Ended up with the oddyssey two ball

Today I was chipping and piching well and not taking the chance. The one one putt was for 6 inches.

But I have consistently been leavng 5/6 footers after poor distance control. My average miss in testing my old putter from 12 feet was 1.5 feet. The new putter was 3 inches. So living in hope

Putting doesnt play as big a part in your score as you may think. I'm off 8 and consider myself a very poor putter for that handicap. I often take 35/36 putts which is criminal. But just to give you some perspective, I shot +4 last Sunday with 33 putts. Hitting more GIR will get your handicap down faster.

Its deeply frustrating being poor on the greens as you always feel your not making the most of your ball striking. Get some putting lessons, it does help massively and dont let it beat you up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I could have wrote this post. Same situation with putting altough the one saving grace is that my second putt is more often than not a couple of feet or less
    So frustrating but i have started to get the pace right so i see an improvement in that regard.

Saying that i 3 putted the tenth after leaving my first lag putt 3 feet away and then doubled down on the 11th par 3 taking 3 putts after chipping on to about 6 feet.

• Advertisement

I could have wrote this post. Same situation with putting altough the one saving grace is that my second putt is more often than not a couple of feet or less
    So frustrating but i have started to get the pace right so i see an improvement in that regard.

Saying that i 3 putted the tenth after leaving my first lag putt 3 feet away and then doubled down on the 11th par 3 taking 3 putts after chipping on to about 6 feet.

Part of that is just playing in Elmgreen hence why I will be happy to get to 36 putts

My GIR is much higher in Elmgreen.

Today I had only 4 GIR but that just exacerates how bad the putting is because my extra shot into each of the greens wasnt from far but was making none of them

For example on back 9 today I had 3 pars and 6 bogeys with 2 GIR. 17 putts with first putt invariably inside 15 feet and left myself lots of tricky saves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

almostover wrote: »
    Putting doesnt play as big a part in your score as you may think. I'm off 8 and consider myself a very poor putter for that handicap. I often take 35/36 putts which is criminal. But just to give you some perspective, I shot +4 last Sunday with 33 putts. Hitting more GIR will get your handicap down faster.

Its deeply frustrating being poor on the greens as you always feel your not making the most of your ball striking. Get some putting lessons, it does help massively and dont let it beat you up too much.

I think you're right about putting. For some reason people just expect near flawless putting even off mid teen handicaps. You could scan through this thread and find countless examples of people saying they had whatever score, but with two three putts. As if its reasonable to expect that three putts are not part of your normal game. When you accept that a decent putter will still regularly three putt, miss 3 footers, miss considerably more 6 footers than they'll hole, then you'll realise that a bad putter is only a couple shots worse at it than a decent one.

Whereas driving can be a bigger difference I reckon. I'm a decent example of the good and bad of it. I'd be longer than average, so all things even I could be hitting a 7 iron into a green for my second on a par 4 while my playing partners hit a 5. That's a big difference, can easily amount to a couple of shots over a round. I'm also prone to wild misses. Sadly each of those can be two shots of a difference to a consistently straight golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

blue note wrote: »
    I think you're right about putting. For some reason people just expect near flawless putting even off mid teen handicaps. You could scan through this thread and find countless examples of people saying they had whatever score, but with two three putts. As if its reasonable to expect that three putts are not part of your normal game. When you accept that a decent putter will still regularly three putt, miss 3 footers, miss considerably more 6 footers than they'll hole, then you'll realise that a bad putter is only a couple shots worse at it than a decent one.

Whereas driving can be a bigger difference I reckon. I'm a decent example of the good and bad of it. I'd be longer than average, so all things even I could be hitting a 7 iron into a green for my second on a par 4 while my playing partners hit a 5. That's a big difference, can easily amount to a couple of shots over a round. I'm also prone to wild misses. Sadly each of those can be two shots of a difference to a consistently straight golfer.

I think we all have our problem areas. All summer I've been fairly happy with my driving and putting, I would rarely not have a reasonable approach shot to get to a par 4/5 in regulation and I'm averaging only a couple of 3 putts a round. My main problem is hitting any iron from 4-PW. It's a lottery whether it'll be flushed, chunked, thinned, sliced, hooked etc. Think I'm going to get an iron lesson over the winter. With regard putting I lag most of my attempts outside of 6ft which I find nearly always helps me get down in 2, if I blast it past it's usually a 3 putt. All of my regular playing partners like to constantly remind me you miss 100% of putts you leave short :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

I play off 4 and a goal of mine for each and every round is to try avoid a 3 putt. I'm successful sometimes but other times not. It happens to everyone regardless of handicap. I shot -2 at the weekend and had 29 putts and consider that to be the best I've putted in a long time. 33/34 would be average for me.

Putting well will certainly help reduce your handicap and score better but it's not the only thing that will. More accurate iron play will bring your score down quicker than putting IMO. Hitting in to 30 feet instead of 50, 15 instead of 25 etc. This will then in turn take pressure off your putting and obviously the closer to the hole you are the more likely you are to hole a putt and the less likely you are to 3 putt.

Also putting stats can be skewed too. An up and down will count as 1 putt however 2 putts for par counts as 2. I'd sooner take my 2 putts and cut out the chip than having to rely on myself chipping and putting each time to achieve the same score.

Work on your iron play, get the ball on the green instead of having to chip/pitch and you will see a massive improvement in your score and handicap.

blue note wrote: »

Thanks for the follow up comment. I think much of the conventional wisdom is now being turned on its head in golf. Driving is a huge part of the game as you've right pointed out and I think the goal off the tee should be to have a shot to the green from as close as possible. I'd rather by 100yds from the green in the rough than 150yds in the fairway. However things change when you're in the trees, water, links rough where it's a lost ball every time etc. I've got my handicap down from 18 to 8 in 2 yrs by focusing totally on GIR. The more I hit the better is score. Getting down further will take improvement on the green and more distance off the tee but I've had to learn the hard way not to beat myself up about 36putts per round.

KevH1984 wrote: »
    I play off 4 and a goal of mine for each and every round is to try avoid a 3 putt. I'm successful sometimes but other times not. It happens to everyone regardless of handicap. I shot -2 at the weekend and had 29 putts and consider that to be the best I've putted in a long time. 33/34 would be average for me.

Putting well will certainly help reduce your handicap and score better but it's not the only thing that will. More accurate iron play will bring your score down quicker than putting IMO. Hitting in to 30 feet instead of 50, 15 instead of 25 etc. This will then in turn take pressure off your putting and obviously the closer to the hole you are the more likely you are to hole a putt and the less likely you are to 3 putt.

Also putting stats can be skewed too. An up and down will count as 1 putt however 2 putts for par counts as 2. I'd sooner take my 2 putts and cut out the chip than having to rely on myself chipping and putting each time to achieve the same score.

Work on your iron play, get the ball on the green instead of having to chip/pitch and you will see a massive improvement in your score and handicap.

Just to prove a point. I had 33pts this morning and 30 putts. Only 3 GIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

37 putts
    35 points
    6 GIR

2 x 1 putts after chipping it to tap in distance.

My main issue is that i rarely drop my first putt. So even a birdie / par chance im not taking advantage of at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

After a terrible run of scores, I finally had a decent day today, playing off 9 and comp was v Par, I shot 3 up. I do love this form of comp as it's matchplay against the course. It won't win anything but just happy to hopefully turn a corner with my game

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Second 38 pointer in a row. After last week's collapse on the back 9 it was good to get the monkey off my back. 17 out, 21 in.

• Advertisement

28 today.
    i did hit a few good shots though!

Advertisement