Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If a six hour round ever happens me in elmgreen ill be cancelling my membership.

Agree with it being very tough to get on time sheet. Have asked a couple of times why they dont have more comps during the week instead of just wednesdays but got no real response.

That would spread people out and relieve some pressure on wednesday

The problem is that there isnt spots at the weekend. You will always get out on a Wednesday. Getting name on timesheet when it opens for it is an issue but spots always become available. Checked there and there is at least one every hour.

There is also a limit on how many comps you can have a year. Although I dont know why another wouldnt be possible because Corballis have 4 a week.

One issue is that Carr need their green fees as they ****ed up lettimg in way too many student and intermediate members.

Asking the guys in the shop why wont get you anywhere. The club committee makes those kind of calls. I helped with the Pierce Purcell with vice captain and will ask him for certain why there isnt another if you like?

When I joined the club there was no Saturday comp as they couldnt get decent numbers on Wednesday and Sunday!! I had the opposit issue that I couldnt be sure that I would have someone with me for comps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The problem is that there isnt spots at the weekend. You will always get out on a Wednesday. Getting name on timesheet when it opens for it is an issue but spots always become available. Checked there and there is at least one every hour.

There is also a limit on how many comps you can have a year. Although I dont know why another wouldnt be possible because Corballis have 4 a week.

One issue is that Carr need their green fees as they ****ed up lettimg in way too many student and intermediate members.

Asking the guys in the shop why wont get you anywhere. The club committee makes those kind of calls. I helped with the Pierce Purcell with vice captain and will ask him for certain why there isnt another if you like?

When I joined the club there was no Saturday comp as they couldnt get decent numbers on Wednesday and Sunday!! I had the opposit issue that I couldnt be sure that I would have someone with me for comps

Ive spoken to vice captain and also emailed committee about extra comps.

Never knew there was a limit on comps per year.

Enough spots on weekends for societies and visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

There is also a limit on how many comps you can have a year.

can you explain what you mean by this? are you saying clubs are restricted in the number of comps they can run?

Seve OB wrote: »
    can you explain what you mean by this? are you saying clubs are restricted in the number of comps they can run?

Yes I have been told this. It was actually when I was in Grange Castle who have 4 comps a week some weeks. Although some comps were Saturday/Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Yes I have been told this. It was actually when I was in Grange Castle who have 4 comps a week some weeks. Although some comps were Saturday/Sunday

If corballis have 4 a week thats potentially 208 a year.

Is there an actual figure?

• Advertisement

If corballis have 4 a week thats potentially 208 a year.

Is there an actual figure?

i'd find it hard to believe that a club is capped on the number of competitions they can run.

gypsy do you have any link ? my club could have up to 10 different comps running over the course of a week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Another mediocre round today, 30 points off 17. 18 now with the .1 back. Probably last full qualifying round this side of Christmas. Didnt scratch any holes and scrambled several times for double bogey. Been fairly consistent since May, usually shooting around 90-95 strokes. Sometimes in buffer but usually not. I feel like my game is in generally good shape so its hard to pinpoint where I'm going wrong. Mistakes are so varied each round. Either 3 putt, shank, chunk, wrong club choice etc. I don't feel like lessons would help, not sure what to do

Seve OB wrote: »
    i'd find it hard to believe that a club is capped on the number of competitions they can run.

gypsy do you have any link ? my club could have up to 10 different comps running over the course of a week

No, as I said it was said to me by a member in my old club. Always assmed it was correct

• Registered Users Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

26 points....26. What a shocker! Started well, but then couldn't judge distance and all chips around green checked, unless there was trouble behind the hole so shots just slipped away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭almostover

Golf is a strange game. 30pts Saturday morning playing garbage. 41pts today, only +4. Had 2 three putts too so should have been better. 11 GIR. My best ever round and was level par on the back nine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

36 points off 15. Back tees comp. Funnily enough two tee boxes were actually on the ladies tees which made for some confused looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

39 points off 6 .. first comp back in 10 years after getting my handicap.. been working on positions for a few weeks on backswing and felt good most of the day.. drove well and short game was ok, putting improving but a long ways to go..

Aim this year was play a bit and get a handicap and next year wanna make some moves.. working between now and Xmas with my pro every 2nd week so will mainly be practice on positions and also with a fitness coach every month to asses and give me programming to add into my normal training to add mobility in areas I lack..

Chuffed with the scoring as had a awful start of double/bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

38 points off 14, hopefully enough to get me down to 13 again but absolutely threw away a great score.

Scratched the first with a double bogey, got a horrendous bounce after going into the first with an extra club. But went on a great run then.

Par, Birdie, Par, Bogey, Birdie, Birdie, Par, Bogey.

Missed the 3ft downhill par putt on 9th for what would have been my first even par 9 in a comp. Still, 24 points after scratching the first had me in a great position.
    Was awful close to eagling the 7th with my approach as well, bounced into and out of the cup.

Back 9.... well, I had another birdie but the wheels feel off in spectacular style on 2 holes and had 3 three putts late on.

Came in with 14 points, it felt a lot worse than 14 though.

38 points. 4 birdies, 3 scratches, 4 three putts on non scratched holes... a bit of a crazy round to say the least.

Drainage in our place has been excellent since recent course work so we might get another 2-3 weeks of qualifying out of it. There's a big score there.... isn't there always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

45 points off 11, single figures again for awhile....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭almostover

Redriddick wrote: »
    45 points off 11, single figures again for awhile....

Considering you were only 2 over you should be well able for it :cool:

Well played!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

32pts off 16 in Moate on Sunday. A reasonable round, driving and putting were good but the irons in between werent so hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

28 points off 15. Complete disaster, really feeling te 3 shot cut.

Index 18 & 16 are within the first 3 holes on the course so 3 bogeys to start has gone from 6pts to 4pts which is a tough adjustment.

Generally my wedges are strongish, better than my handicap but they were a complete disaster yday and the primary difference maker.

Outside of that, I felt my ball striking was better than ever on some holes leaving myself decent birdie chances on 3 holes in a row at one point on the back 9.

Overall the score was a disaster but I felt some positive signs existed after a few holes.

If I can flirt with mid 30s a couple of times before the end of the year, I'll be happy to finish with a 4 shot cut notwithstanding new handicapping system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Steady 30pts in the first round of our winter league. 15 holes so bang on the handicap. nothing much to talk about really just played steady with no scratches.

Was such a tough wind, at least 3 club lengths. Was some serious scores in, think someone had 37 for 15 holes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

36 points off 15. Back tees comp. Funnily enough two tee boxes were actually on the ladies tees which made for some confused looks.

We must be in the same club!!! It was great to see that tee box on 17 after rinsing 2 balls on 16. Finished with 35 pts, delighted after having a 10 on the 1st :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

36 Points on Saturday. 2 scratches.

Happy enough with my round. Pared 3 holes that I hadn't pared in a competition this year so happy with that.

Bought a new driver yesterday too so looking forward to my next game and hopefully get enough practice over the Winter with it so I'll be ready to go by March/April 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

5 Scratches on the front nine. Topping 3 woods, duck hooking drives, slicing short irons into the water. My game is all over the shop and I am at my wits end. Managed to salvage something near the end and get 26 points with 8 of those coming on last 3 holes.

Coming into every round with a new, and wrong, idea about how I can fix things and the range visits are making it worse. Afraid to get a lesson because that's what started my slump. This game is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Very frustrating round yesterday. Came off the 10th 9 over and 4 shots ahead of my HC of 22 in a strokes comp. Hitting it great off the tees and fairways. Putting was fine. Double bogey 11, lost two balls and didn't complete the 12th. Continued to play quite well but the round was ruined on that hole. Hit a drive to short rough on 17 and saw the ball land. Spent 3 mins looking for it with playing partners to no avail, an absolute mystery. We had lads up our back and I was already a non-runner for the comp, so just walked the hole and parred 18.

Massively frustrating that I'm hitting it extremely well and can't get a score together. Played with a lad off 5 and was driving just as far as him, and straight most of the time. My weakness currently is from 100 yards and closer, don't have much confidence in less than full shots with my wedges and as a result am hesitant and getting mixed results, boning some and cutting under other leaving it 10 yards in front of me instead of the 50 to the green. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

28 points shocker
    16/12
    36 putts
    5 GIR

Started well, put my approach to 12 feet on the first and put a good stroke on the putt, just a misread. Solid par. Second hole put the ball in perfect position off the tee but somehow made 6. Did all the hard work on 3 to have a 6 foot par putt and missed it a ball outside the cup. 4th I hit the middle of the green and made a good putt just past the edge of the hole. I felt really bloody good about my game but the missed short putts wore me down. Started to snatch at the putts which a playing partner picked up upon, then eventually the rest of my game fell apart

lesson learned. Haven't practiced putting for a few weeks. Need to get the mat out

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Qualifying ended on Saturday and of course i go and shoot 40 points on Sunday......

Got a game in yesterday, first one in a few weeks.
    Was playing ok front 9, but ball OB on the second, a ball in the water on the 6th and a couple of 3putts (on bad greens, hollow tined and jumping all over the shop) so turned with 13points. Kinda felt that I wasn’t really hitting the ball as well as I can so got stuck in on the back 9 and played well, on 16th tee I knew 3 pars would probably be good enough to get me back in the buffer. Snap hooked off the tee, topped the second from a poxy lie on top of a hill under a tree, still managed to get myself a 3 foot putt for bogey thinking a I can birdie one of the last 2. Missed the feckin putt. Then missed similar on 17 for bogey after hitting my best drive of the day. Bogeyed the last to cap it all off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

After a disaster last month in Headfort, I switched to the correct grip (I was playing cack-handed for 15 years!). Hit a few practice rounds alone, and loads of driving range sessions in the past month. Brings me to Saturday gone by, four-ball in Moyvalley, Kildare. Beautiful course. Shot 94! Scored 32pts on 18 handicap. Best I've played in years. Of course lots of dud shots but overall delighted and hope to continue improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

sheroman01 wrote: »
    After a disaster last month in Headfort, I switched to the correct grip (I was playing cack-handed for 15 years!). Hit a few practice rounds alone, and loads of driving range sessions in the past month. Brings me to Saturday gone by, four-ball in Moyvalley, Kildare. Beautiful course. Shot 94! Scored 32pts on 18 handicap. Best I've played in years. Of course lots of dud shots but overall delighted and hope to continue improving.

Fair play. Tough to change at this stage, but I suspect you'll benefit from it before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Last competitive competition of the season over the weekend and what a way to finish off a great year for me. 42 points (21,21) off 4. My best round ever and first ever under par round 😀, I've been knocking on the door all season and it finally happened. Delighted is an understatement.

Started off with a bogey on index 18 first but a 2 on the 2nd got me back on track. Played super from then on. 3 more birdies had me -3 on the 17th. Good drive on the par 5 but pulled a 5 iron lay up in to the trees - my worst shot of the day. Chipped out and didn't get up and down from 80 yards. Nice safe par on the last and a great feeling of excitement and relief to finally break down that barrier. My chipping when required was the best it's been in ages and the putter worked a dream. Nice when it comes together.

Didn't win the competition but didn't really care. As a result I won our clubs season long player of the year competition - absolutely delighted to win that as it was a seasons goal. Nice week to Enniscrone as the prize so will certainly sample the links a few times while there. As a present to myself for doing so well this year I went and bought a beautiful brand spanking new set of irons for the first time ever - child at Christmas stuff really.

Best of luck to all for the remainder of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

KevH1984 wrote: »
    Last competitive competition of the season over the weekend and what a way to finish off a great year for me. 42 points (21,21) off 4. My best round ever and first ever under par round ��, I've been knocking on the door all season and it finally happened. Delighted is an understatement.

Started off with a bogey on index 18 first but a 2 on the 2nd got me back on track. Played super from then on. 3 more birdies had me -3 on the 17th. Good drive on the par 5 but pulled a 5 iron lay up in to the trees - my worst shot of the day. Chipped out and didn't get up and down from 80 yards. Nice safe par on the last and a great feeling of excitement and relief to finally break down that barrier. My chipping when required was the best it's been in ages and the putter worked a dream. Nice when it comes together.

Didn't win the competition but didn't really care. As a result I won our clubs season long player of the year competition - absolutely delighted to win that as it was a seasons goal. Nice week to Enniscrone as the prize so will certainly sample the links a few times while there. As a present to myself for doing so well this year I went and bought a beautiful brand spanking new set of irons for the first time ever - child at Christmas stuff really.

Best of luck to all for the remainder of the year

Well done that is some achievement. breaking par for the first time really does lift a weight from the shoulders and gives you a new confidence..

Also super recovery after the start..

• Advertisement

Qualifying ended on Saturday and of course i go and shoot 40 points on Sunday......

My club are planning to be qualifying all winter once there is only placing in the fairway

They were told this was OK as part of WHS. Part of the logic for two 9 hole comps instead of the usual 12/14 we used to play too

Advertisement