Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

etxp wrote: »
    I have never witnessed this approach before.

Neither had director in my club or anyone else for that matter. The part people couldn't understand was different CSS for visitors.

It was a Links course and we just put it down to that because there was no other reason we could think of tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Neither had director in my club or anyone else for that matter. The part people couldn't understand was different CSS for visitors.

It was a Links course and we just put it down to that because there was no other reason we could think of tbh.

I mean you considering your 41 was the equivalent to 43pts. You had 41pts which is equivalent to 41pts. Your pts are calculated to the Par of the course, not the CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's in the CONGU rules on open competitions:

3.2 When the number of Home players and Visitors in Categories 1, 2, 3 and 4 are each twenty or more a separate CSS must be calculated for both ‘Home’ players and Visitors.

I mean you considering your 41 was the equivalent to 43pts. You had 41pts which is equivalent to 41pts. Your pts are calculated to the Par of the course, not the CSS.

Lol, I didn't actually mean I feel 41 points is equivalent 43.

I simply meant that on the day in question it simply equated to 7 pts better than what would be an expectation of 36pts arising in a cut of 2.1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's in the CONGU rules on open competitions:

3.2 When the number of Home players and Visitors in Categories 1, 2, 3 and 4 are each twenty or more a separate CSS must be calculated for both ‘Home’ players and Visitors.

Thanks for that, possibly something that may arise in the future.

As you can probably tell, shooting above 36 pts is not a frequent event for me so I attempt to squeeze even more out of it when it happens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Mentioned on another thread but 2nd big cut of the year 2 weeks ago.

16 points on front and 25 points on the back for a 41, CSS was 34 points so finished with 43 overall. The 25 points on the back was my best ever 9 holes of +2.

Cut of 2.1 plus ESR of 0.5 for an effective 3 shot cut.

Played a 9 hole the other night and really felt the difference as two holes I usually have a shot on, I had two pars which previously would have put me in a good position but now simply the expectation.

Finish the year with 4 shots down(assuming new rules doesn't move needle much).

Corballis??

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Corballis??

No never played it, I must do in the future.

Rosslare, plenty of wind behind me on the back 9 and kept it on the fairway.

Thoroughly enjoyed the course, 35e for the Open Comp, decent value imo.

17.6 to 15.0. Very much struggling in the couple of rounds I've played since to get close.

Thanks for that, possibly something that may arise in the future.

As you can probably tell, shooting above 36 pts is not a frequent event for me so I attempt to squeeze even more out of it when it happens ;)
    Well it's unlikely to happen in the future seeing as CSS is dead come 2nd November. :)

It was rare enough anyway, because it required both 20 or more members and 20 or more visitors in an open competition. Generally open competitions don't see too many members entering since they're usually designated for days when members generally don't play much.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well it's unlikely to happen in the future seeing as CSS is dead come 2nd November. :)

It was rare enough anyway, because it required both 20 or more members and 20 or more visitors in an open competition. Generally open competitions don't see too many members entering since they're usually designated for days when members generally don't play much.

So what you're saying is, the field I beat was of an even higher calibre than is normally expected?

44pts it is :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why?

16 pts on front + 25 pts on back equals 41 points.

CSS on the day was 34 opposed to 36 so effectively 7 shots better than handicap(equivalent of 43 pts).

Displayed as follows on the website: CSS Gents 36pts Visitors 34pts

I was cut 2.1 shots as Cat3(0.3 ×7) + 0.5 ESR.

Perhaps poorly explained originally?

you explained it ok, it's just that you are making things up
    You had 41pts which is equivalent to 41pts.

what he said /\

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    you explained it ok, it's just that you are making things up

so did you beat the member who had 42 points? i think not

what he said /\
    Lol, ok.

Firstly, there was no mention of beating or not beating anyone.

I clarified what I was meant to say and acknowledged my error.

To be honest, that is quite an odd and frankly unnecessary response :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Aside from all the previous conversation, is this how cuts are calculated "I was cut 2.1 shots as Cat3(0.3 ×7) "

So if you shot 37 points each week, you would be cut 0.3 each time? And then for CAT1 players they are 0.1 per point?

(new to golf/scoring)

bamayang wrote: »
    Aside from all the previous conversation, is this how cuts are calculated "I was cut 2.1 shots as Cat3(0.3 ×7) "

So if you shot 37 points each week, you would be cut 0.3 each time? And then for CAT1 players they are 0.1 per point?

(new to golf/scoring)
    Basically yes. Each category has a different cut per shot and a different buffer zone. Category 4 is 0.4 and buffer of 4 shots. Your cut is also relative to CSS rather than par. So 37 points would get you a cut of 1 shot x category if CSS is the same as par. But if CSS was 35 points it would be two shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone ever lost their mojo for the GAA me? I’ve found the enthusiasm has waned significantly is the past weeks and months and my scores are reflecting this. A run so bad that I’ll be testing out the new WHS soft cap pretty quickly I suspect.

Just no go for it, maybe it’s the club I’m in or something but just not into it lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone ever lost their mojo for the GAA me? I’ve found the enthusiasm has waned significantly is the past weeks and months and my scores are reflecting this. A run so bad that I’ll be testing out the new WHS soft cap pretty quickly I suspect.

Just no go for it, maybe it’s the club I’m in or something but just not into it lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭almostover

After 6-7 weeks of playing turgid golf and handicap slipping up to 9 I shot 36pts and 37pts back to back this weekend. If my putter was behaving I'd have made 40pts today. Just delighted to feel like I can play golf to a decent level again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Portumna Saturday morning. Played in the open comp. Course is in great condition. some of the greens have been spiked and sanded but the ball was still running well on them.

Started off ok, but was struggling for the whole round. Can't really pick one thing I was doing bad, each part of my game had something wrong with it.

28pts, 17/11.

Had a terrible back nine. Scratched the 10th, missed a 2ft putt on 11 and 12 to leave me with 2pts after 2 holes. Had a good spell in the middle to finish with 2 scratches.

Would highly recommend Portumna for anyone that hasnt played it. Lovely course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

A disappointing 8 down in a 'V Par' competition in Moate on Saturday after a positive start with pars on the first 2 holes. Made a balls of the 3rd and never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Played Headfort Old Course Saturday. My stint of decent play last month came to a crashing end with 14 points off 28 :D I didn't find the course particularly difficult, more so my irons went to absolute crap.

I'm only playing a few months but I was pretty disappointed in the greens there. More than a couple had lumps taken out of them, much larger than pitch marks. One of the greens, the 16th I think, was under repair which is grand but the temporary green they set up was a shambles. Smaller than a pitch and putt green and the grass length the same as the fairway. Normally pay anywhere from €20 up to €40 for a round, at €50 for Headfort I didn't think it was worth it and wouldn't be too quick to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Had 17/19, most consistent round I ever played. No birdies and no scratches!
    Ended up getting the win on a count back :) (first ever win)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

This is it wrote: »
    Played Headfort Old Course Saturday. My stint of decent play last month came to a crashing end with 14 points off 28 :D I didn't find the course particularly difficult, more so my irons went to absolute crap.

I'm only playing a few months but I was pretty disappointed in the greens there. More than a couple had lumps taken out of them, much larger than pitch marks. One of the greens, the 16th I think, was under repair which is grand but the temporary green they set up was a shambles. Smaller than a pitch and putt green and the grass length the same as the fairway. Normally pay anywhere from €20 up to €40 for a round, at €50 for Headfort I didn't think it was worth it and wouldn't be too quick to return.

Played the new course not so long ago and found the greens to be quite poor on some holes too. Especially the index 1 5th had some really bad holes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Took a half day last Friday as the weather was shaping up nicely and I hadn't got out in a few weeks. Just went down the road and played Grange Castle, decent track to be fair and it has some lovely holes...It was non competitive but played it off the blues as the guys I was paired with on the system were playing off them, played decent and had 34 points off 13 (18/16).

I have to say I found it quite long from the blues, maybe the ball was not flying far for me off the tee on the day, but I was striking it quite well. There was still a lot of work to do to hit the greens in regulation. I wouldn't be the most accurate with 6 or 7 iron in hand!! Nice course though, any Grange Castle members on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Took a half day last Friday as the weather was shaping up nicely and I hadn't got out in a few weeks. Just went down the road and played Grange Castle, decent track to be fair and it has some lovely holes...It was non competitive but played it off the blues as the guys I was paired with on the system were playing off them, played decent and had 34 points off 13 (18/16).

I have to say I found it quite long from the blues, maybe the ball was not flying far for me off the tee on the day, but I was striking it quite well. There was still a lot of work to do to hit the greens in regulation. I wouldn't be the most accurate with 6 or 7 iron in hand!! Nice course though, any Grange Castle members on here?

I used to be a member there. Really nice course but hell during competitions esp the medal comp. 5 hours at least, sometimes six

willabur wrote: »
    I used to be a member there. Really nice course but hell during competitions esp the medal comp. 5 hours at least, sometimes six

Jez 6 hours for a round. I would not fancy that at all.!!! Ill be looking for membership in Dublin now next year, I stayed with my home course since I moved to Dublin but with lock downs and the likes its not really convenient anymore... Don't think the misses would be happy if it was taking me 6 hours to get around on a Saturday though :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Jez 6 hours for a round. I would not fancy that at all.!!! Ill be looking for membership in Dublin now next year, I stayed with my home course since I moved to Dublin but with lock downs and the likes its not really convenient anymore... Don't think the misses would be happy if it was taking me 6 hours to get around on a Saturday though :eek::eek:

had to wait 40 mins to play the par three 8th hole during 1 comp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

had to wait 40 mins to play the par three 8th hole during 1 comp

I went out once there on a bank holiday. 2 hours for 5 holes.

6 hours is insane

Same. Was member. Getting on time sheet was a nightmare.

Ironically my new club is now worse

Same. Was member. Getting on time sheet was a nightmare.

Ironically my new club is now worse

where are you now a member if you don't mind me asking?

where are you now a member if you don't mind me asking?

ELmgreen. I also moved to Navan Road so i am a 6 minute drive door to door.

Grange Castle was 5 min drive from my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

ELmgreen. I also moved to Navan Road so i am a 6 minute drive door to door.

Grange Castle was 5 min drive from my parents.

If a six hour round ever happens me in elmgreen ill be cancelling my membership.

Agree with it being very tough to get on time sheet. Have asked a couple of times why they dont have more comps during the week instead of just wednesdays but got no real response.

That would spread people out and relieve some pressure on wednesday

Advertisement