Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭eggy81

Back down to earth today with a bang after around a month of decent golf and scoring. Stroke play in tullamore and from minute 1 the driver was off but my improved short game ensured I actually got off to a cracking start with 16 pts after 6 holes. Went into the water twice on the index 18 par 5 7th and just crumbled from there shooting an 11. Still hit some good shots but peppered my card with 7s and 8s amongst some pars and bogies. Worst round since restrictions lifted and even mistske on back 9 seemed to get ruthlessly punished. On to the next 1.

Friday 31pts 19/12 off 23, today 34pts 16/18 off 23, had a lesson Friday morning on driving and really helped narrow my miss. Got unlucky today hit the pin 3 times and bounced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,136 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah back to reality today, 33 points. Right old mixed bag of everything, got away with some shots, punished for others. Think Css was 34 which is very annoying cos I missed 4 short return putts (4....wtf. 1 time the flag stopped it going in, awful stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Captains day in Elmgreen....94 for a net 77. No scratches

But the pins were silly. 43 putts silly. It started getting to me in the end. Really good putts ending up crawling by the hole missing by inches and ending up with 10 feet back up the hill. I dont think I missed anything inside 5 feet

I hit 2/3 really bad shots so didnt deserve a cut but i wasnt 7 shots worse than my handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Pierce Purcell
    Lost our match on 18 in corballis. It's crazy how much the format elevates your game. My partner had a stinker only coming in on one hole the first when I was well positioned to save par anyways. We were even after 9 then bled holes on 10, 12 and 13 to go three down with 5 to play.
    I birdied 14 and 16 to get us back to 1 down. Hit the exact shot I wanted to on 17 but somehow the ball stayed perched up on the top level.
    We halved two remaining holes to lose 1 down.
    Shot 69 which is my lowest competitive score. The guy on the other side was one shot better and that was the difference.

So mixed feelings. Such an amazing buzz to make putts in front of a decent crowd cheering us on. The putt on 16 for birdie was unreal, caught myself giving a proper fist pump. Disappointed to be knocked out of the tournament. Wow.. The interclubs... I get it now

26 putts ( my putting was insanely good today - one of the portmarnock guys came over to me in the car park afterwards to complement me on it which was really nice)
    9 GIR
    69 strokes with 13 handicap = 56 net / 46 pts stableford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

willabur wrote: »
    Pierce Purcell
    Lost our match on 18 in corballis.

Funny, I may have witnessed your approach on 16 as I was driving by the road opposite 15&16 in the late afternoon yesterday. From peripheral vision I noticed more then expected people on the course. I saw a spectator or team captain thumb up a good shot in to the green from someone on 16. Had a quick glance again and noticed different shirt colours so presumed an interclub was happening. Then saw someone holding a follow through aiming towards 16, so presumed the thumb up was at them :D What are the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Pierce Purcell
    Lost our match on 18 in corballis. It's crazy how much the format elevates your game. My partner had a stinker only coming in on one hole the first when I was well positioned to save par anyways. We were even after 9 then bled holes on 10, 12 and 13 to go three down with 5 to play.
    I birdied 14 and 16 to get us back to 1 down. Hit the exact shot I wanted to on 17 but somehow the ball stayed perched up on the top level.
    We halved two remaining holes to lose 1 down.
    Shot 69 which is my lowest competitive score. The guy on the other side was one shot better and that was the difference.

So mixed feelings. Such an amazing buzz to make putts in front of a decent crowd cheering us on. The putt on 16 for birdie was unreal, caught myself giving a proper fist pump. Disappointed to be knocked out of the tournament. Wow.. The interclubs... I get it now

26 putts ( my putting was insanely good today - one of the portmarnock guys came over to me in the car park afterwards to complement me on it which was really nice)
    9 GIR
    69 strokes with 13 handicap = 56 net / 46 pts stableford

Hmmm, is that 2 69s in quick succession in corballis? I think you're on your way down willabur! 13 seems crazy for someone doing that!

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Funny, I may have witnessed your approach on 16 as I was driving by the road opposite 15&16 in the late afternoon yesterday. From peripheral vision I noticed more then expected people on the course. I saw a spectator or team captain thumb up a good shot in to the green from someone on 16. Had a quick glance again and noticed different shirt colours so presumed an interclub was happening. Then saw someone holding a follow through aiming towards 16, so presumed the thumb up was at them :D What are the odds?

That's gas

Yeah, I hit a great drive just short of the track that crosses the two holes.
    Approach was a punched wedge. Caught the backstop and worked it's way nicely back to the hole. Was very happy with how I played that hole

blue note wrote: »
    Hmmm, is that 2 69s in quick succession in corballis? I think you're on your way down willabur! 13 seems crazy for someone doing that!

Just finished my first year at corballis. Definitely cannot argue with the initial handicap they gave me but it's definitely too high for how I'm playing at the moment. With pierce Purcell practice and matches I haven't had the chance to play in the regular comps. Hoping to knock it down to single figures this autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Playing very good golf at present - feel a very low round on the way.

Shooting around 5 over each time out - but feel I can get this down to 2 or 3 over.

Close today - but putting not as good as it has been.

Hit 13 greens in regulation or under regulation and 2 others just off edge.
    Two eagle putts (made two birds)
    And 3 other bird putts.

All going on - so should be lower easily.

At the end of the day all that counts is your score, but positive stuff.

• Advertisement

Just finished my first year at corballis. Definitely cannot argue with the initial handicap they gave me but it's definitely too high for how I'm playing at the moment. With pierce Purcell practice and matches I haven't had the chance to play in the regular comps. Hoping to knock it down to single figures this autumn

That means you have 45 points in you at present :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played in a scramble in the Curragh on Sunday, and played ok. Was driving the ball really well, and actually drove the green on the par 4 3rd hole (around 290 yards). Haven't done that before, and it felt really good. Irons were decent, but had a few bad shots when i swung too fast. Not finishing my backswing seems to be my bad shot right now, and i tend to duff and iron or pull my drive with it. Knowing what it is helps me fix it though.

Looking forward to getting out this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

30 points (17/13) in the midweek Open in Blessington Lakes yesterday. A real mix of good and bad.

Had 5* birdie putts that I only converted to 3* pars and 2* bogeys. Two really really poor putts cost me as left myself a lot of work to do on my par putt and ended up bogeying.

Got a new 3 wood a few weeks ago but haven't taken it out on the course yet. Left the driver at home yesterday and just used that. Huge difference. Was actually hitting it further than my driver as I'm hitting it pretty straight whereas I just can't get rid of the fade on my driver so can't see myself taking the driver out with me any time soon.

My second shot is still causing me huge problems. Every round I'm having a couple of holes where I hit a nice drive and leave myself somewhere between a 6-9 iron into the green and just totally shank it.

40 points in an open in Enniscrone
    20/20
    Game is still sharp from all the match play golf I've been playing. First stableford comp in a good while so should be good for a cut of 1.2 I would guess, depending on the standard scratch. That'll drop me down to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭Glebee

33 points with 26 handicap in local open. No more than two putts on everything which I was happy with. Drives were good and finished round with same ball as I started with. My irons are shocking bad though, topping or duffing most of the time. Very few clean iron strikes. Just cant figure out my irons, can hit them decent in the range, when I get out on course anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Game finally starting to take shape after 3 lesson my iron striking has never been as good. Been struggling for 18months + or when I swapped clubs (mentioned here before)

Out today in August medal and started with 2 bogies on the first two holes which are 3 shot par 5s. Then there's a tiny 90yard par 3 which I made a very bad decision on and ended up taking a 7. Struggled on with bogie and par golf from there and another poor decision off the tee on 8 led to a double. Always struggle on front 9 and even with the quad and double I still had one of my better score of late on the front at 12 over .... Aim was to get buffer because I've got alot of 0.1 back lately so it was an uphill battle

Back 9 was like a different game. Hit 6 fairways and 6 greens in regulation, lipped out on 3 birdies but made 6 pars in a row. Finished poorly with 3 bogies but overall I'm delighted because like I say I'm along time now shooting <30 pts and struggling.

Was strokes so I finished 87 gross for 74 nett (+2) or 35 points. Missed gross by 1 and came 5th... delighted

20/20
    Game is still sharp from all the match play golf I've been playing. First stableford comp in a good while so should be good for a cut of 1.2 I would guess, depending on the standard scratch. That'll drop me down to 11

Savage round first time out there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

20/20

Must be an ESR on the cards for you with the recent scoring

I'll need to do it in a few more stableford comps. Alot of my scoring was in pierce Purcell practice or comps. But definitely the handicap is too high for how I'm playing, hope to get it down over the autumn and would happily take an esr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

41pts with a scratch off 10. 17 on the front, 24 on the back

Scratched 9th then went -1 for the back 9. Was -3 but for a double on the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

42pts off 20 for my lowest score to date (85 strokes). 17pts on the front and 25 on the back.
    1 birdie
    7 pars
    6 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 treble
    Good enough for the win and handicap down to 17.8 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Got fitted for a driver last week, first time with a driver in the bag for about 5 years. I’m hitting it well and very happy with the added distance and accuracy.

Played my first competition with it this evening and very happy. Didn’t do anything spectacular but had 35 points, 15 on the front and 20 on the back. Definitely left 5 points behind me but overall very happy with how I played. Left 3 putts and 2 chips an inch short of the hole but they’re the breaks I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Got in the buffer today.
    Thank f*** for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

+11 off 14. Same as my previous 2 rounds, I was striking it beautifully to begin with, swing deserted me in the middle of the round (I start trying to kill it at the top of my swing) and play rubbish for a while and then find the swing again and finish okay.

I was level par on the front 9. Highlight being an Eagle two on the second. Slight wind with me and I always wanted to have a pop at the green with an iron. I got a bit lucky with a bounce I reckon nudging it in the direction of the hole, but hit a 4 iron to the back of the green and sank the ten footer.

On the 11th hole I started ducking down at the top of my swing. Knocked a 3 wood, got away with a bogey. Knocked another on the next, ended with a double. Went through the green on the next, another bogey. Three putt for bogey on 14. Drilled a drive into rough 50m in front of me on 15, took a couple to hack out, ended with a triple. Then got my swing back for the last 3 holes, two pars and unlucky to lip out on the last four another par.

All in all
    1 Eagle
    1 birdie
    6 pars
    7 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 triple

If I'd kept the three putts off the card that would have been 9 pars, so a positive round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

Have hit a poor run of form after getting from 12 to 8 this summer. 33pts today. Was going well until an OB drive at the 6th, parred the second ball but still a blank. Up and down for the rest of the round. Had 5 straight pars coming to 18 needing a par to have any chance of the buffer. Drive 250 down the middle, GW to pin 90yds on slender top tier, pitched on the top tier but spun back leaving a 60ft putt. 3 putt to blow the buffer!!! So frustrating. Another foot on that approach and I had a 15 ft uphill putt for birdie. Happy with how I finished but need to find some consistency to stay at 8.

Carne

Already posted in the links thread. Lads it's a religious experience. Crazy holes, massive dunes but really scorable holes and plenty of opportunities for hero shots.
    Played the Hackett 18, had a pint & an unbelievablely good chicken burger before tackling the Kilmore 9.

Down to 12 handicap wise after my 40 points in enniscrone.

Hackett 18 - 79 strokes 41 points
    Played really well. Just had one drive which I sliced due to tiredness and had to reload from tee box. Course is spectacular. My driving is very good at the moment my putting has been super the last few weeks. Something has just clicked with how to lag putts and with the amount im playing I feel everything inside 10 feet is makeable.

Kilmore 9 +6
    Body fell apart after 5 holes. By Jesus is this 9 holer fun. Hit a good drive on first, hit a nice draw layup and then stitched the flag with the approach. Should have made birdie but pulled the put left, blaming the chicken burger.
    Second hole is a big drop down par 3. I was on my own but had a 4 ball in front of me. They waved me through. Hit a nice 5 iron I think to 20 feet. Rolled in a lovely birdie putt. 3rd hole is a par 4 which has a massive drop down hill, 290 yards or so normally I would've tried to drive it. Took out 5 iron instead because I had the fourball watching me and I didn't want to be looking for a ball after them asking me to play thru. Hit a sweet 5 iron down to aboutb30 yards back. Made par
    4th hole is a par 3, nothing too special. The 5th is incredible, best hole I ever played. I was -1 starting it and +2 finishing it. I just want to play that hole again and again. It's a rollercoaster through massive sand dunes with a big reveal at the end of a hero shot shortcut which of course you would never know is there from the fairway. 6th was playing into a stiff wind. Par 3 200 yards I hit driver at it and to be honest it was not a bad effort. Made par. I don't honestly remember the 8th hole but the last hole I made a haims of it. Body was shot. Reloaded from tee. Hit a nice 7 iron approach to elevated green but missed left. Got up and down.
    I remember 8 now. Crazy uphill par 4 into the wind. Made par somehow, I could barely stand up...

Anyways that was carne. Wow. Loved it
    Weather was good, played well therefore life is good.
    Taking 3 weeks off golf now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frustrating day on Saturday. Open in Blessington Lakes. Had 17 points on the front 9, but hit a real groove on the 6th and 11 of those points came on 6-9. Everything was working really well. Unfortunately my wife called me to tell me I was after heading off with the baby seat still in my car so had to head home after nine. Been thinking about it since as I definitely think there was a good score there for me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

34 points playing awful golf. Can't drive, can't hit an iron, I am somehow decent around the green now inexplicably. Only ended with 34 due to completely giving up on the way I've been working on hitting it and going back to my old 'flippy' swing. I very seriously wanted to walk off after 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

pakman wrote: »
    34 points playing awful golf. Can't drive, can't hit an iron, I am somehow decent around the green now inexplicably. Only ended with 34 due to completely giving up on the way I've been working on hitting it and going back to my old 'flippy' swing. I very seriously wanted to walk off after 13.

34 playing awful golf means something has to be working very well.

My last round (couple of weeks ago now) , felt I played good golf and had 35 points :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

34 playing awful golf means something has to be working very well.

My last round (couple of weeks ago now) , felt I played good golf and had 35 points :)

I'm making putts and chips I have no right to make and fluking some occasional birdies that help the card to look better. Chipping the 56 in the garden with dog and tennis ball have really helped short game but I have no feeling of control over the ball at all on other clubs. misses left and right.

All my improvements last year came when I gave up the range and I think that might be the key.

Advertisement