Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    Got out for 9 holes late last night. Course was probably in its best condition all year. 3 holes temporarily out of play for a couple of days as they finalise the new course, so it was never going to be a full 18, maybe that brought a more relaxed mindset from myself.

+4 for the 9 holes.
    Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Double, Par, Double, Par.

Solid golf and gave myself 3 or 4 looks at birdies, disappointed a couple didn't drop. The greens were incredibly fast, would love to know what they were on the stimp as I don't think I've play on faster, ever actually.The speed sent a shiver down the spine on the first and fears of 3 putts came rushing back but I got the hang of them and actually liked the fast pace. You were barely tapping them from 6 ft.

The doubles were both a combination of following a bad shot with another, both poorish approaches and bad chips, poor execution rather than the wrong choice. In general, I'm learning to play the course a lot better.

Love that zen like feeling of playing good golf, it's a rarity but hopefully it happens a bit more.

+4 through 2 today in the Open. This game.

Played muck but got it together a little bit for 32 off 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

31 points off 7 last night for an 83.

Front 9 was bit dissappointing because i was driving the ball very well. 4 pars 5 bogeys.

Reached our 13th (on +6) which is an easy birdie hole for most, which i needed to get my round back. Ended up losing a ball. 3 pars 3 doubles in last 6 holes.

Wedge play very poor, missed greens from less then 100 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

36 Points (15/21) off 23 in Palmerstown today.

First comp this year and very happy with that score. Mainly as the weather was atrocious from the 9th. onwards so was delighted to put 21 up there. Scratched the 1st & 9th. which ruined my front 9 and could have had a very nice score if I had have played smarter on them. But put my drive OOB left on both holes, somewhere I never ever go as tend to slice it a bit.

Driving & putting were great today, 34 putts in total and not one 3 putt. My goal was to break 100 by the end of July so delighted to have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Played a trial for a team in the club last night. I play off 20 (down from 23 in the last 3 weeks) didn’t realise when I signed up for it that I had to play it off a 16 handicap. Had a birdie, 3 pars and a bogey in the first 5 holes. Had 20 points for the front 9 but last 4 were poor, scratch, double bogey, double bogey, birdie. Still had 26 points for 13 holes off 16 so happy out considering I played 4 shots below my handicap with a scratch and four single pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

First round ever in Corballis tonight. Weather was horrendous for first 3 holes or so but cleared up in the end.

It’s been a regular topic on here but it really is a mad place in a good way!

Shot 95 for 31 points off 22. 18 on the front and only a 9 after getting caught in a pot bunker on the 3rd killed me it was the only scratch on the front. 13 on the back where I scratched 3 including an 8 on the 16th was disappointing. Went OB twice off the tee and the next shot and then struggled in a greenside bunker.

Goal is to break 90 before the end of August and shot a 92 earlier in the week in Slade Valley (not a big fan of the course otherwise) so am hopefully still on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

19 front
    11 back

25 points thru 12 and then 1 point over 4 holes from 13 -16.

Putter i just couldnt get going at all.

8 x 3 putts
    1 appalling 4 putt - 3 of them from about 10ft.
    Couple of duffed wedges as well.

Struck the ball well but around the green was terrible today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

19 front
    11 back

25 points thru 12 and then 1 point over 4 holes from 13 -16.

Putter i just couldnt get going at all.

8 x 3 putts
    1 appalling 4 putt - 3 of them from about 10ft.
    Couple of duffed wedges as well.

Struck the ball well but around the green was terrible today
    Nice to play a round with you today finished with 37 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Keith C wrote: »
    Nice to play a round with you today finished with 37 myself

Good shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

34 (15/19) in Headfort New today off 16

7 Pars
    6 Bogies
    3 Doubles
    2 Scratches

I think four 3 putts. Greens felt really slow at times ( compared to usual) so struggled a lot there. I was happy with the putts until I seen where they ended :( Had a tap in bounce out aswell which was a first.

Irons good, driver came good in the end and chipping was ok. Rough is really up, so much so anything more than a wedge is hard to get out at times.
    Twice got distracted mid chip with lads not realising I was playing a shot. Frustrating but I should be able to zone out for the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

25 points in Newlands this morning.
    So frustrating because I'm actually hitting the ball quite well. Iv a terrible short game,i really struggle with chipping and any sort of pitch shots from 50 yards in.
    Greens are really good there but if you putt bad you will be punished, I was thank god I didn't count how many 3 putts I had as it wouldn't do the confidence any good.

Only positive out early and home early enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

jalock20 wrote: »
    First round ever in Corballis tonight. Weather was horrendous for first 3 holes or so but cleared up in the end.

It’s been a regular topic on here but it really is a mad place in a good way!

Shot 95 for 31 points off 22. 18 on the front and only a 9 after getting caught in a pot bunker on the 3rd killed me it was the only scratch on the front. 13 on the back where I scratched 3 including an 8 on the 16th was disappointing. Went OB twice off the tee and the next shot and then struggled in a greenside bunker.

Goal is to break 90 before the end of August and shot a 92 earlier in the week in Slade Valley (not a big fan of the course otherwise) so am hopefully still on track!

Another stupid question, what does scratch or scratched mean in the context above?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

This is it wrote: »
    Another stupid question, what does scratch or scratched mean in the context above?

No score if playing a stableford/points competition.

This is it wrote: »
    He took too many shots resulting in no score for that hole relative to his handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

88 for a nett 73 off 15.
    40 front 9.
    48 back.
    Nothing special at all and I kniw I could of played so much better. Scrambled well.
    Intermediate scratch cup tomorrow.... Goal is break 90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

25 points in Newlands this morning.
    So frustrating because I'm actually hitting the ball quite well. Iv a terrible short game,i really struggle with chipping and any sort of pitch shots from 50 yards in.
    Greens are really good there but if you putt bad you will be punished, I was thank god I didn't count how many 3 putts I had as it wouldn't do the confidence any good.

Only positive out early and home early enough
    I played there on Friday evening for the first time. Nice course. Lots of trees tend to catch my eye and make me hit a lot of balls into them. Greens were slick and hard to see which way they sloped at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A vastly improved medal performance compared to the last few weekends, 90-17 for nett 1 over par. Was going along playing roughly to my handicap when I pitched in from 100 yards on the 15th for my first ever eagle. That left me nett 5 under par with 3 to play. I was picturing a big cut and my name on the medal and proceeded to make a complete mess of the remaining holes including a double and a treble. I'm wondering if I need to stop keeping score on my watch because it gives me the running total after each hole. I've always thought that it doesn't matter if I know my score because I'm going to hit every shot as best I can regardless. I think I got nervous when I knew a potentially great round was on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well I birdied the 9th yesterday. Followed that with a 10 on the 10th.
    Finished with another .1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

A vastly improved medal performance compared to the last few weekends, 90-17 for nett 1 over par. Was going along playing roughly to my handicap when I pitched in from 100 yards on the 15th for my first ever eagle. That left me nett 5 under par with 3 to play. I was picturing a big cut and my name on the medal and proceeded to make a complete mess of the remaining holes including a double and a treble. I'm wondering if I need to stop keeping score on my watch because it gives me the running total after each hole. I've always thought that it doesn't matter if I know my score because I'm going to hit every shot as best I can regardless. I think I got nervous when I knew a potentially great round was on the cards.

I would always keep an exact count in my head and I’d know what I need to do for the remaining holes as I move along. There are lads that will tell you not to think about your score but I find it to be valuable information. For example if you’re on a very good score and have a risky shot to a green over a hazard you know “do I need to make this green, or can I afford to drop a shot and take a safer approach”. I find it especially good to know when playing strokes. Just my opinion though. The main thing I find is to know the score but not let it run away with you, focus on your initial game plan and concentrate on the next shot

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

First medal of the year and I had a 71 -1 round off 16. It was a decent score considering I cannot drive the ball straight anymore. I have a pull on all my clubs now and its killing me. The only thing saving me is a much improved short game allowing me to scramble and better putting recently is saving me from 3 putts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

88 for a nett 73 off 15.
    40 front 9.
    48 back.
    Nothing special at all and I kniw I could of played so much better. Scrambled well.
    Intermediate scratch cup tomorrow.... Goal is break 90

Not to be. 98 strokes after a decent start. Reckon I try to hard when playing stroke. There is one hole though that jyst kills any momentum over the past few weeks,
    Ah well maybe next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

First competition this morning, stableford singles. Shot 33 (16-17) off 22. 95 gross 73 net. Happy with how I struck the ball, hitting it excellently but 5 x 3 putts really took the wind out of my sails. One par four in particular, 390 yards, 10ft from the pin after two and 3 putted for a 5. Need to work on it, but definitely making a lot of progress tee to green. one of the gents I was playing with joked I'd be single figures if I didn't have to putt, but I'm not sure he was joking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭willabur

Gross 70 (par 66) in the captains prize.
    7 fir
    4 gir
    31 putts

Which tells you that my approach game has completely deserted me. Putter has been very good but aided alot by chipping fairy close. Really struggling to be consistent with my irons for the last few weeks. Really don't know if it's going to be thin, fat or fine

Playing lots of golf at the moment between inter-clubs and club comps. Really don't think it's good for my game. But the games keep coming,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Managed to break 80 (non competition typically). Got out at 6, got 18 in and was no major rain till in the carpark, result! Off 12, so would've worked out at 41 points.

2 birdies
    7 pars
    9 bogies

Think my longest putt for bogey was less than 3 feet. Easily most consistent I've ever played. Chipping in for birdie on 1st set the tone (Harrington video on chipping has done wonders for that part of my game), striking the ball well with everything in the bag also helps. Will have to retire now cos I'll struggle forever more, might as well end on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

26 points (12/14) off 23 in Blessington Lakes yesterday morning. Stark difference to Friday was my chipping was absolutely horrendous. Ended up in three greenside bunkers and took two shots to get out of every one of them. Left nearly every chip short (bar one where I chipped in) which led to some long putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played our first 8 holes yesterday in level par. Only 3 greens hit.
    3 nice up and downs and a chip in for birdie.

Went OB on 9 and took a treble.

Got to to +4 through 14 but played the last 4 holes in +6. Disgusted. 81 Gross 74 Net

1 birdie
    10 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 treble

Can't nail down my mistakes to any one thing. everything let me down at certain stages yesterday!
    I need to turn my bad holes into bogeys and nothing worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Good round yesterday for 39pts.

2 over for front. With a dead shank into heavy rough already on the 3rd.

Back nine. Hit lovely drive down 10. 70 yards out from green - then two horrific dead shanks in a row to lose the ball into heavy rough and scratch.

Hit lovely drive down 11 to leave about 60y into green again. Had three shanks already to this point in the game and bricking it over this one. Nothing affects you as badly as having this happen. Perfect lie, swing, "clink"! Knived it right through the green :eek: over the back :eek: but made good up and down to save par!

13th miscalculated wind and found ball in heavy rough beyond green. Chop 1, chop 2. Scratched again.

Never missed any short putts the whole round which is new.

Delighted to score well and be able to put out of my head the really bad shots and focus only on the next shot.

update: division prize. 0.6 cut and new playing handicap of 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I played golf about 10 times in my life. Last time was 2 months shy of 10 years ago.
    Decided to have another go because the kids are a little older and a friend started playing.
    I wasn’t any good 10 years ago so I went the range twice in the last couple of weeks and played 9 holes this evening.

Scores are attached and it’s terrible. Especially 2,3&4 which are particularly awful but I’m kinda Happy with the rest of the holes.

I think more practice and I can definitely get into this.

Should I keep going or should a beginner with these numbers just leave it to the big boys???

It was Corrstown river course.

jarvis wrote: »
    I played golf about 10 times in my life. Last time was 2 months shy of 10 years ago.
    Decided to have another go because the kids are a little older and a friend started playing.
    I wasn’t any good 10 years ago so I went the range twice in the last couple of weeks and played 9 holes this evening.

Scores are attached and it’s terrible. Especially 2,3&4 which are particularly awful but I’m kinda Happy with the rest of the holes.

Should I keep going or should a beginner with these numbers just leave it to the big boys???

Did you enjoy it?

I love trying to score well, to hit the shots I want to but at the end of the day I just love to get out and knock a ball around.

Pars as a returning self proclaimed poor golfer is a great start aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jarvis wrote: »

i've seen many of the "big boys" shoot worse. I play off 12 and have my fair share of triples and worse.

you have 2 pars in there and a few bogeys, so there is definitely potential. don't worry about the 9's and 10's, they will improve the more you play.

how many putts did you take.... i would hazard a guess that is somewhere you will be able to improve without an awful lot of effort..... just start to wear the carpet out at home :D

c'mon, lets face it, you are hooked now ;)

Advertisement