Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

35 of 13 yesterday. But it could have been a belter of a round, was hitting my irons as well as iv ever hit them. But 1or2 leaked drives and 3 duffed chips on the front 9 killed me. Back 9 I was -2 from 10 to 16 and then...........Absolutely creamed my drive on 17th to leave me about 120m to the pin, then a bloody almost 90deg shank with my approach into the heavy thick trees and bush. Ball not found and a scratched hole. Could not get my head sorted for the drive on 18, that shank on the previous hole was killing me and I duly put my drive on 18th into the drink and that was that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

38 (20,18) points on Saturday on my home course so handicap now down to 4.4 which I'm delighted with. Beaten on countback for the gross and my class, very annoying. One yearly goal achieved to reach 4. 4 cuts this year from 6 competitions played so my golf is in a really good place.

However I can't seem to click on the back 9 this year at all. Really nice golf played on Saturday, 20 points (level par) turning and not a moments bother. Played nicely on the back 9 also but 3 3putt bogeys on 13, 14 & 16 from about 25 feet have left a pretty sour taste. I am giving myself loads of chances each round but can't seem to get the ball in the hole for birdie with any regularity lately. Really puts the pressure on when faced with a testing par put later in the round to keep the momentum going. I'm hopeful this is a temporary thing and the putting gods will soon look upon me kindly. Either that or a trip to the golf psychologist is needed :). But turning easy 40 or 41 points in to 37 or 38 points is very frustrating at times. Once it does click my golf is good enough to get to 3 before the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Sundays game was funny, sad, depressing in that order. Playing off 15 and had a somewhat OK run of things over the last while this day had the start I could only dream of and the end that was the stuff of nightmares

First 6 holes par, par, birdie, par, par, par. 5 birdie chances all within 20 feet. Driving well aiming at middle of the greens. Then bogey, dbl bogey triple bogey to close the front 9 with 20 points.
    Regrouped at start of back 9 with 3 solid pars, great drive on 13 with only a wedge in hand, walked of the hole with a 6. Drove OOB on 14 took a 7.
    2nd shot on 15 went into a water hazard. Took 6. 2 balls into the drink on 16 par 3. Needed 2 pars on last two holes for 36 points. Par on 17. Lost ball in drive on 18. Duffed approach and ended up scratching the hole.
    Was thinking after 6 at this rate I am hoping for 50 plus points..... Actually I was thinking a sub par round.... Then I thought possible highest stableford ever (previous was 51 but only on the front ninex2). The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭bren2001

I was struggling quite a bit last year. Wild off the tee and just too many poor second shots. Went and got some lesson at the start of the year. I've had 5 so far. Naturally, got a bit worse. It all started to somewhat click yesterday.

35 points off 18. 6 pars, 2 bogeys and a scratch on the front 9 for 22 pts. Rode my luck a bit. Fell apart on the back a bit but I'm happy enough to finally see some progress.

I'm sure I'll be struggling to find a fairway off the tee next week but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

KevH1984 wrote: »
    38 (20,18) points on Saturday on my home course so handicap now down to 4.4 which I'm delighted with. Beaten on countback for the gross and my class, very annoying. One yearly goal achieved to reach 4. 4 cuts this year from 6 competitions played so my golf is in a really good place.

However I can't seem to click on the back 9 this year at all. Really nice golf played on Saturday, 20 points (level par) turning and not a moments bother. Played nicely on the back 9 also but 3 3putt bogeys on 13, 14 & 16 from about 25 feet have left a pretty sour taste. I am giving myself loads of chances each round but can't seem to get the ball in the hole for birdie with any regularity lately. Really puts the pressure on when faced with a testing par put later in the round to keep the momentum going. I'm hopeful this is a temporary thing and the putting gods will soon look upon me kindly. Either that or a trip to the golf psychologist is needed :). But turning easy 40 or 41 points in to 37 or 38 points is very frustrating at times. Once it does click my golf is good enough to get to 3 before the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

I have been very similar to you. I've gotten 5 cuts this year but I keep scoring 38 or 39 points (CSS is usually 37). I can't seem to put together that 40+ point round together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Terrible golf over the last few weeks; points wise - 32, 33, 25, 29, 27, 25, 21. Getting fed up at this stage.

Lack of range time is killing me I think, need some drills and the course is no place to be trying to fix a swing. Local range are gouging on the back of Covid and only offering membership, of a range:eek:
    Haven;t forked out yet but me thinks the time has come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

37 pts, including 2 one pointers and scratch

Happy enough as have changed my grip and still trying to get used to it

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

OEP wrote: »
    I have been very similar to you. I've gotten 5 cuts this year but I keep scoring 38 or 39 points (CSS is usually 37). I can't seem to put together that 40+ point round together.
    Obviously 37 or 38 points is a very good round and overall I've very little to be complaining about in the grand scheme of things. But having 34 putts like I did the weekend and similar past few weeks won't be getting any job done.The most frustrating aspect of it is I feel it's holding me back achieving my potential. I'll never get to scratch but feel 2 is achievable over the next 18 months. Off 4 I feel there's plenty of mileage left and hopefully a little change in the putting will see the handicap tumble a bit further. Just when you think you might have this great game sussed it throws something else up to occupy your mind and make you obsess over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Winners enclosure for the 2nd time 8 days.

39 points yesterday off 18(20 last week). Down to 15.4 now. From 2 shots on two holes to no shots on 3 might take to awhile to adjust to.

In the plus side got my new i500 ping irons yesterday and there winners straight out of the wrappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Back to struggling after a few decent rounds. Had a poor 24pts in Athlone on Wednesday and was even worse yesterday in Moate. Only occasional good shots and sheer bloody mindedness is keeping me going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Strokeplay comp this weekend, hate them
    2 over nett today (74) so 86 gross. Card was in a heap after 5 holes (it's why I hate strokeplay), then went on a run of pars to get everything looking nice again...until the 18th. Double bogey which might cost me a cut.

Still angry about it!

Edit: just remembered I completely missed the ball for 1 shot, but that lead to the card being in a heap so not even angry at it

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

V par comp off 15.
    3 down.
    Points wise 33 total 13 f9 20b9.
    Tough wind out there.
    Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

As much as I hate it, I walked off the course after 12 today. My group was playing slow and had a stretch in front of them so didn't feel too bad. 3 months without a decent round just had me raging. I was no use to anyone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I felt like walking off today too. After a decent 6 holes, I was just 1 off my handicap. Scratched 7 and 9 to turn with 13 points. 3 horrible tee shots on 13,14 and 15 for 3 more scratches. Stuck with it though and finished with 3 bogies.
    After practicing quite a lot this week, I fully expected to play well today. Such a frustrating game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

36 points 16F/20B
    88 Strokes in the Intermediate Scratch in Baltray on Saturday.

Rain was coming sideways for alot of the round. Hitting my driver poor exasberated the strong winds. Hit it in the crap once and it cost me a 7 on a par4.

Took me about 6-7 holes to get used to the greens/fairways to be honest which was too long. Landed and rolled off alot of greens on the front 9. Really confirmed my wedge bounce is wrong, I could chip from anywhere with the 56 8 bounce but very difficult with the high bounce 60. I managed but I believe I could have gotten up and down more with a low bounce 60 as it's what I'm used to. I was throwing the 56 too far at times.

CSS was 35 so a wee cut to 15.6

Enjoyed it though, really good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

34pts in Moate today off 16 has cheered me up no end. Struggled again on front 9 with 14pts but despite making a mess of the 11th I had 20pts on the back including finishing -1 par for the final four holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played the worst golf ive played in a long time. 89 Gross (10H/C)

started off with a great drive, then downhill from there. Duffed my second, bladed my pitch shot to leave myself an impossible 2-putt for par, ended up with a 6. then the front nine just got worse and worse.
    F9:
    4 doubles
    4 bogeys
    1 par

Started the back 9 promising with a birdie, though ok, lets go for a back nine under my handicap, normal service resumed on the 11th with a terrible 3 putt. was a lot more solid on the back nine though just the putting was terrible. 36 putts, but I don't count the putts just off the green as putts and this is where my biggest problem was today. was leaving them so short.
    B9:
    1 birdie
    1 par
    7 bogeys

First time not shooting my handicap or better on my home course this year so hopefully back to normal next week as have a big local team event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Back to my old ways again. Medal yesterday and I returned no score. I sliced my drive and provisional yesterday on 12 and found them both, but well outside of the 3 minutes so couldn't play either. I didn't have a good score going anyway. The wind killed me.

1st hole it was across me right to left, slightly helping. Flag back right, so I aimed for it intending for the wind to bring it back to the centre. And I took into account the slight help in yards from it. But where I aimed it was actually a pure right to left breeze. And where I hit it, it was actually slightly into me. So I came up well short in the thick stuff. Hacked out, chipped on and started with a double.

Same mistake on 5. Wind right to left so I hit into it to bring it back. Forgot that takes yards off my shot. Same mistake on 7 and ended up in a bunker and took 3 to get out!

But overall I was striking it very well, even if I didn't have a good score going. Then on 11 duffed two chips and that was me done for the day! Finished with a double. Sliced drives on 12 were the nail in the coffin.

I still struck it well for the most part after that, but was just really playing my way in since I was gone from the comp.

It's obvious to be though that after a few years off, even though I pretty much have my swing back, I don't have the nuisances of the game back. In fairness, I never played in links winds regularly before, so that's something new to learn. But my bunker play is atrocious. Because I have barely practiced it since coming back. And the same can be said of the driver. I'm not hitting it often, therefore it's a liability, where it previously was a strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+2 off 5 in round 1 of Captains on Saturday, hit the ball terribly put chipped and putted well (other than 1 three putt caused by a duffed first putt)
    Duffing was the order of the day with 3 duffed wedges resulting in bogeys from good positions.

Cue 7 days of trying to remember how to hit the ball before round 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Struggling after a 2 week break through injury.

rounds of 31 31 off 7 over the weekend. Not good enough off the tee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played medal yesterday and was +6 on the front best score by a mile was quietly confident going into my more favorite back 9 that I'd finally produce a score in newish home club but then had 7 bogies a double and a triple . Ice cold short game and very long heavy rough. Again due to lack of low handicap women in the club I managed to win gross but a win isn't enjoyable when you shoot +5nett !!

Pars 4
    Bogies 11 (9 in a row)
    Doubles 2
    Triple 1 (OB on par 3)

Putts 40
    Chips (from 10yards or less) 9

So out of my 90 shots yesterday 55% were withing 15yards of the hole!! What's worse is my putting stroke is as good as ever I'm leaving them a roll short or shaving the edge noting in dropping. Chipping needs a lot of work leaving myself 12+ foot from hole a lot

There's a great score there if I can tidy up even a little around the green

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

GreeBo wrote: »
    +2 off 5 in round 1 of Captains on Saturday, hit the ball terribly put chipped and putted well (other than 1 three putt caused by a duffed first putt)
    Duffing was the order of the day with 3 duffed wedges resulting in bogeys from good positions.

Cue 7 days of trying to remember how to hit the ball before round 2!

+2 Gross?

+2 Gross?

Yup!
    Level front and +2 back
    1 birdie in each 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Lisheen yesterday in a serious sideways wind. managed to stay dry though so bonus to that!
    31 off 21 with 1 scratch

played avg but an enjoyable round with 2 lads i'd not played with before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »

Yea so I’m a dinosaur.
    But when I click that I get half a blokes face who is clearly talking and even with volume at the max I hear nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea so I’m a dinosaur.
    But when I click that I get half a blokes face who is clearly talking and even with volume at the max I hear nothing

Works fine for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

37 point today, while only playing ok. Driving is a very mixed bag, but the good ones are extremely good. Short game is still quite good, with my putting also on form. Going to get a lesson or two on the driving and long irons, to try and get those back on form.

39 (20,19) points at the weekend on my home course, my first competition off 4 so very happy and 3rd cut in a row. Good enough to win the gross with +1. 4 birdies and 5 bogeys, given conditions on Saturday were very tough I'm very happy with that. 2 two's in there which is always a nice bonus. Slightly annoyed that the round contained 2 lost balls, good recoveries to limit the damage to bogeys for 1 point on each. Captains next competition week after next so lets hope the good golf continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Work society outing....off 15.....6, yes 6, scratches but still managed 33 points thanks in the main to 3 birdies....started with 3 straight scratches....didn't have a 2 pointer till the 14!! A couple of pars to finish would have given me 36 pts but made a mess and only managed 3 points over these 2 holes.....most up and down round i've ever had!

Advertisement