Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I’m absolutely hooked. Want to get out again as soon as possible. I don’t remember even getting a par when I played previously. Never mind 2!!!

The first hole was a par 3 and I landed on the green about 12ft from the hole on My tee shot. That was when I was hooked!!!!

I’m Not overly bothered about the 9s and the 10. There’s a lot of water on that course and I found it on those holes. One of the guys I went with plays an awful lot and goes on work outings. He took 3 less shots than me so I was happy with that.

Not sure how many putts I took. I do remember sinking a 15ft putt and it felt unreal!!

I just hope the few really good shots I had weren’t the flukes and holes 2,3&4 aren’t the norm going forward!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Seve OB wrote: »
    i've seen many of the "big boys" shoot worse. I play off 12 and have my fair share of triples and worse.

you have 2 pars in there and a few bogeys, so there is definitely potential. don't worry about the 9's and 10's, they will improve the more you play.

how many putts did you take.... i would hazard a guess that is somewhere you will be able to improve without an awful lot of effort..... just start to wear the carpet out at home :D

c'mon, lets face it, you are hooked now ;)

^^^ this is spot on.

Take it from someone who started with a hell of a lot worse scoring (don’t think I got a par for months). Couple pars, few bogeys...I would consider that a fantastic start.

Get Couple lessons though...that is/was my #1 mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Saturday 71 for 42 Pts off 6. I didn't play spectacularly well but it's the best score I've had in a good while. Only hit 2 really bad shots and the other poor ones weren't that bad which really makes a difference. Got particularly lucky on one hole where ball was 10 yds left of green in sh1te. Found it and hit it as hard as I could and it went onto the green, 2 putts: bogey, could've been a scratch very easily.
    10 of 14 fir
    12 gir
    31 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

35 points off 17. 3rd round in row where I've had 35 points. Putting and short game is excellent. Tee and approach shots in general are killing me, I'm regularly getting to the green in 3/4 shots and 1 putting to save a par/bogey. Still hoping to get to about 14 or 15 by end of year despite missing the lockdown months, just need to bring it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

30 points off 23 in Macreddin yesterday. 7 on the front, 23 on the back!

Couldn't hit the ball out of my way for the front nine and scratched 5 holes. Then second nine I had just given up and was playing for fun and nothing could go wrong. Had back-to-back par on the Index 3 & 5 which made the back nine score look a lot prettier.

• Advertisement

23 points off 23 9/14, in corballis this morning, forgot how much the place can beat you up when you get a little too aggressive and go off line. Couldn't hit an iron for most of the front 9

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've posted a few mediocre rounds lately but yesterday I had a really good round with 40pts off 16 in an open comp away at Co. Longford GC. No flashy birdies, just a lot of steady golf. Concentrated more on my iron striking, took my medicine when I got in bother and didnt try pulling off any miracle shots.

9 pars
    6 bogeys
    3 doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

The big one today, captain's prize.

Started bogey bogey but then steadied the ship for a +3 front 9 and 19 points

Remained +3 through 16 with some great chipping and putting. 36 points. (+1 in a 15 hole stretch)

3 putted 17.

Leaked driver a small bit on 18 and was unlucky to find a terrible lay. Took 2 to punch out and ended up with a double. Ding.

37 points off 7 and once again a disappointing finish after being in such a great position.
    1 birdie 11 pars 5 bogeys 1 double.

Most likely will be beat in a countback for category prize like last year.

The silver lining is that i feel 7 is too high for me and a score will come, just need to tidy up a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Saturday 71 for 42 Pts off 6. I didn't play spectacularly well but it's the best score I've had in a good while. Only hit 2 really bad shots and the other poor ones weren't that bad which really makes a difference. Got particularly lucky on one hole where ball was 10 yds left of green in sh1te. Found it and hit it as hard as I could and it went onto the green, 2 putts: bogey, could've been a scratch very easily.
    10 of 14 fir
    12 gir
    31 putts

Was this in your open? Did you take 1st prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First competition at home course this year, only second competition as a whole. 41 points off 12, 79 gross so absolutely delighted with it.

20 front, 21 back. Front nine included a double bogey on 9th, but bounced back well to par next 4 holes. Had a 3 putt on first too which was awful, so could be better again.

1 birdie
    10 pars
    6 bogies
    1 double bogey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Played first round of the captains prize today. Played terribly. Ended up with 80 nett ( playing off 20) so won’t be qualifying for round 2. My short game was terrible which is very unlike me. Was completely fed up of golf with 5 holes to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭eggy81

I had 38 pts off 19 in tullamore yesterday. 87 gross. I'm playing 2 years and finally at long last I'm starting to show improvement. 6 pars 7 bogeys and 5 doubles. No scratches. Down from 21 to 19 since lockdown lifted and feel that there's maybe 1 or 2 more in me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Second time out on a full course, Swords Open. Have no official handicap so playing off 24, no idea if that's right. 11 points total... :/ 120 strokes. Enjoyed it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

This is it wrote: »
    Second time out on a full course, Swords Open. Have no official handicap so playing off 24, no idea if that's right. 11 points total... :/ 120 strokes. Enjoyed it though :)

That’s what it’s all about. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Seve OB wrote: »
    That’s what it’s all about. Fair play

Loved it but definitely could've done better. Looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

+10 off 10 in junior scratch. Two doubles and missing some poor short putts were frustrating.

Didn’t feel like I played well but scored well with a sensible approach to the course

29 off 23 14/15, driver costing me a 5/6 shots these days time for a lesson, on the plus side chipping and putting has been keeping me scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

eggy81 wrote: »
    I had 38 pts off 19 in tullamore yesterday. 87 gross. I'm playing 2 years and finally at long last I'm starting to show improvement. 6 pars 7 bogeys and 5 doubles. No scratches. Down from 21 to 19 since lockdown lifted and feel that there's maybe 1 or 2 more in me this year.

So wait! Are you saying I can actually improve at this head fück of a game???? There’s actual hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

33 pts off 11 first time playing Ballinrobe. Class track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭eggy81

jarvis wrote: »
    So wait! Are you saying I can actually improve at this head fück of a game???? There’s actual hope?
    Ha ha. Theres hope ðŸ‘. The biggest thing that's finally got me striking with some sort of consistency is getting my hands in front of the ball, and concentrate on a full follow through.
    Itll probably all fall to pieces in the next couple of weeks but for the moment I'm expecting to hit a decent shot rather than hoping I don't hit a terrible shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

28pts this morning off 14, chipping and putting very poor. I kind of half expected it as it was my first comp since getting cut 5 shots in two weeks. Its all about the short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

80 (+8) today with a triple and 2 doubles in Stackstown.. 2nd of my handicap cards after a 78 a few weeks back.

missed a lot of putts for birdie, really happy tee - green but short game is still so dodgy..

Started the round with a double which was not ideal but happy with how I settled after that

1 more card to go but expecting 6-7 which is not bad for being out for close to 7 years.. goal this year was to play some and get a handicap and will spend the winter fixing main issues (short game)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rippeditup wrote: »
    80 (+8) today with a triple and 2 doubles in Stackstown.. 2nd of my handicap cards after a 78 a few weeks back.

missed a lot of putts for birdie, really happy tee - green but short game is still so dodgy..

Started the round with a double which was not ideal but happy with how I settled after that

1 more card to go but expecting 6-7 which is not bad for being out for close to 7 years.. goal this year was to play some and get a handicap and will spend the winter fixing main issues (short game)
    You are definitely not getting 7. I suspect you are getting 5 or lower

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You are definitely not getting 7. I suspect you are getting 5 or lower

SS was 70 sorry should have said that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Lovely course! Some great holes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Finally some decent golf. 34 points off 14 (in ideal conditions).

2 birds
    6 pars
    5 bogies
    1 double
    4 scratches.

One of the birds was a bit lucky - I chipped in. It was exactly what I was trying to do, but they very rarely go in.

Three of the bogeys were 3 putts. Individually they weren't too bad, 3 very difficult two putts. But I should have been down in 2 at least once out of three, probably twice.

For the double I played an iron from the tee on index one. I was perfect after two. But then hit my third slightly right and it caught the rough. Hacked out and got down in two for a double.

And of the scratches, one was very unlucky. I must have caught a terrible bounce, I was excepting to see the ball on the 15th fairway. I was playing 18 admittedly, but it still should have been on the fairway!

One scratch was particularly not unlucky, I could have caused a road accident with my second.

The other two were fair enough. I hit bad shots and deserved no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hit Corballis again - felt i could do a little better.
    Conditions were perfect - and a fairly easy course set up.

I rarely hit a good one there on the first - such a straightforward shot - but first shot of the day a short Iron is a strange call. I'm always short or long.

Started with a 4 - but then I went on a remarkable run of golf. Best I've played in years there.

Birdie on 2 -
    On 3 a massive drive leaving me only 122 yards in - put it to 6 foot , but sadly missed the bird putt - a rare tap in par there.
    On 4 almost got a hole in 1.
    On 5 - two putt par.

On 6 - had a hilarious hole. Went long into the trees - dead , but it did bounce so knew I could find it. For once used the rules of golf - took an unplayable all the way back into almost the Island - and still had a horrible shot to go - went for a flop shot and holed it for par :eek::D

Mind starts going - this is my day here.

On 7 - played muck - but got up and down for a bogey after being in rough 3 times.

On 8 - got it going again - lipped out for Bird
    on 9 , Hit a 4 iron as good as I can and made an easy par.
    on 10 missed a 3 foot bird putt
    on 11 missed a 9 foot bird putt
    on 12 had a 12 foot eagle putt. :eek:

So was standing on 13 1 under - and could have been lower.

Of course made a balls of 13 (short) - amateur error.
    Short on 14 - amateur error - and was just one roll away from saving par.
    easy par on 15 - and then another lip out for bird on 16.

Of course I made a balls of 17 up top level of green after a bad lie on rhs (double) - then fell over line at 18 with a 5.

It was slow out there and I was kind of rushing home as was outrageous late for dinner - but I couldn't leave the course.

Happy out - but genuinely was an under par round on.
    Ball just going exactly where I wanted it for most of the round - and putting is ridiculous good - a joke. (26 putts today - and should have been lower)

I can suddenly play golf again.

4 over par (70)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

30 points in comp at the weekend. Still no confidence in my swing but I drove it better than the last month. Everything ended up under a tree or slightly blocked out so it was an unlucky day.

I think its the case, as usual, of me recovering from a lesson rather than benefiting from one. Maybe just accept my level and start playing golf for fun again because this isn't fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

Played a comp running from Saturday to Monday on my home course this weekend. 40pts off 10 hcp on saturday and finished with 3 bogies which was annoying. Played again yesterday and was +5 but only for 39pts, thought I'd 41. Is it typical for clubs to apply a handicap cut from an earlier competition round within that same competition? I'd have been 3rd with 41pts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

32 points at the weekend off 6. Given my 3 previous rounds (all in the high 20s), I was actually happy with how I played. Drove the ball well made some good par saves and had a lot of birdie opportunities and only took one.

Low points:
    2 hosels from the middle of the fairway with an 8 and 9 iron in hand
    2 bounce outs off the pin causing 3 putts
    1 badly pulled drive into trees causing a scratch

Hopefully take the positives from this into this weekend

1 birdie
    10 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 scratch

Advertisement