Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GreeBo wrote: »
    +2 off 5 in round 1 of Captains on Saturday, hit the ball terribly put chipped and putted well (other than 1 three putt caused by a duffed first putt)
    Duffing was the order of the day with 3 duffed wedges resulting in bogeys from good positions.

Cue 7 days of trying to remember how to hit the ball before round 2!

Well done Greebo, great score in those hard conditions. Those 20 hours a week at the chipping green paying off. Good Luck sat could be captains prize number 3!!!

I got a second round, looking forward to finally playing Sheehan course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

33 points off 15 this morning with two woeful scratches where i just lost concentration.

Have been leaving a lot of putts short lately and was running them past or lipping them all day. Just have to find the balance Good score in me i think if i can get the putter going. 35 putts and 3 x 3 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Playing very poorly tee to green the last 3 rounds. 31, 29 and 30 points off 17. 2 more like that and I'm back to 18. Nearly every hole I'm having 1 bad shot(or more) like a chunk, slice, duffed chip etc. Putting is actually good, very few 3 putts so I just need to get to the green in regulation and I feel confident of a par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭almostover

Had a very weird round today 31 pts off 8 hcp. 12 pts on the front 9, was hopeless. 19 on the back nine, hit the ball really well on last 9 holes but putting was poor all day. 36 putts and I didn't even putt on 9 as I lost my drive and had no chance to score by the time I got to the green with the 2nd ball. Putting has fallen off a cliff of late, pulling short ones left and poor distance control. If I could get the putter going again I'll score well, my ball striking is starting to come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Played an open singles yesterday. Happy enough with the round. Had 37 points off 20, 17 on the front and 20 on the back with a scratch and 4 single pointers. Couple of duffed shots but overall was fairly consistent. Played with a guy playing off 2 had he shot 41 points, I definitely think playing with players like that make you up your game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Played a 9 hole course called Elm Hall in Celbridge. Not a bad little course at all, looking to join a club next year and this ticks a few boxes.
    I'd 28 points of 20, frustrating to say the least. I just couldn't get anything going at all.
    I'm hitting more good shots each round lately so I do know iv a good score in me. Just have to cut out the silly brain farts and I'd be single figures ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

94 gross 72 net in a singles strokes comp today.

Had a lesson during the week focussing on driving, and it's was hugely successful. Only hit two poor shots off the tee with driver/3 wood. However I've gone from hitting 4/5 iron off most tees to hitting a wood. The consequence being instead of hitting a 6/7/8 iron to most greens I was hitting wedges. And my wedges were very poor today. Left a lot of shots out there from pure mi****s with my wedges.

Lot of positives to take. As an example, I hit a 3 wood on the third to 50 yards away and managed to miss the green through a fluff and only managed a 6 after a 3 putt. So many silly shots lost, but that means a lot of easy shots to pick up too. Overall, very very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Another 31 points off 15. 92 strokes. Seem to be stuck at the moment in this scoring cycle.
    Hope that it improves soon and doesn't go south just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Another 31 points off 15. 92 strokes. Seem to be stuck at the moment in this scoring cycle.
    Hope that it improves soon and doesn't go south just yet.

Stuck in and around the 30 points mark last few weeks myself and getting. 1 back each time.

Just trying to put a decent round together . At the moment too many scratches and doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Got my final handicap card in today..

78/79/79 for the 3 cards but all very different

Got a putter fitting sorted this week with the loft brought down 2.5* to 2* .. it’s my 26 year old Scotty Cameron Newport such a great club.. and new grip and stroke felt much better but my pace was all over the place..

79 today with 3 doubles in a row from 11-13 followed by birdie.. was very slow today as after a women’s inter club fourball and my god did they spend some amount of time on the greens..

Happy with first year back playing in a long time (8 years) looking forward to getting a handicap and get a few comps in before the seasons out and do some real work through the winter to get the scoring clubs working as they are just very sloppy at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Finally a round worth talking about. Played in Gowran with Boards GS and shot 79 strokes, off society handicap of 11 (GUI of 10) to shoot 39 points and take home the win. Good weather, great company and a box of Boards stamped Pro V1s into the bag :D

2 Birdies
    8 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    2 Doubles

62% FIR
    33% GIR
    42% Scrambling
    29 Putts

Unfortunately it was a society outing, so won't get a cut for it, but it at least showed me that I can play golf again.

So far this year has been a flow of 0.1s with a couple of buffers thrown in. I'm hoping my home club opens back up this week so I can start to get some more qualifying rounds in. Have to wait & see what the news brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played twice over the weekend and didn't break 30 either day just when I though I was getting my ball striking back my ever consistent driver let me down and I would probably pitt better with my eyes closed.

Gowran on Saturday with Boards society just couldn't get going it was either all or nothing with 3pts or a scratch per hole. Started fading a lot of drives which I have never done and left myself out of position and unlucky to have to go sideways every time. Very tight track. A brilliant 4i from 176yards on the 16th par 3 to 3 ft and I got the 2 give me the little glimmer of hope that I can play golf! Didn't get a chance to look at my shotscope yet to see if what I though caused my poor round is true.

Yesterday had the ladies presidents in my home course and started off on a bad foot as I assumed it was 18h stroke which gives the lower handicaps a chance but turned out to be stableford and for someone who hasn't shot 36 this year chance of getting 40+ were slim. Actually played exceptionally well tee to green but my putter was ice cold and then the more I missed the more it got in my head! Finished with only 30 points (92gross) but the real kicker was I had 45putts!!!!!! Nevermind the few greenside chips. Would estimate around 60% of my shots were inside 10yards of the hole....need to do something with short game but there really is a good score in me this year i feel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had 39 points (16/23) off 23 in Blessington Lakes last Sunday. Was enough to win the competition but I was DQ'd under rule 3.3 (B). I don't know how I did it but I never wrote my actual handicap on my card. Absolutely raging as would have been my first ever win.

Only question I have is that even though I got DQ'd I still got a big cut, went from 22.9 to 20.5. I'm new to golf so I don't know the ins and outs but I would have thought that if I get cut then the card is recognised as qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Frisbee wrote: »
    Had 39 points (16/23) off 23 in Blessington Lakes last Sunday. Was enough to win the competition but I was DQ'd under rule 3.3 (B). I don't know how I did it but I never wrote my actual handicap on my card. Absolutely raging as would have been my first ever win.

Only question I have is that even though I got DQ'd I still got a big cut, went from 22.9 to 20.5. I'm new to golf so I don't know the ins and outs but I would have thought that if I get cut then the card is recognised as qualifying?

Your score is qualifying from a handicap purpose, just not for the competition.

FWIW I think requiring your handicap to be on the card is an archaic rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

35 points in the society outing to Gowran Park on Saturday. A tale of 2 nines as I struck the ball well on the front 9 to turn with 20 points but had to do a lot of scrambling on the back 9 to grind out a score.
    I hit 2 balls in water and 1 out of bounds but crucially scored a point on each of those 3 holes to keep my score going. 29 putts for the round was probably my best of the year.

The prize was Boards branded Vice Pro Plus golf balls which I had never used before. I decided to try them out in yesterday's club competition and shot 42 points to finish 3rd and earn a 0.8 cut :)
    I hit 10 GIR which again is probably my best of the year.

To cap off the weekend myself and Recycled returned to the course after a quick cup of tea to finish a club fourball matchplay game which had been suspended after 16 holes due to darkness.
    Our opponents birdied the 18th to bring us to tie-holes but Recycled struck back with a birdie of his own on the 1st to earn us a semi-final spot

That is a big turnaround in my game. After the lockdown I only hit the buffer once in my first 12 games and was struggling to hit 30 points most weeks. Good to have my game back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

paulos53 wrote: »
    35 points in the society outing to Gowran Park on Saturday. A tale of 2 nines as I struck the ball well on the front 9 to turn with 20 points but had to do a lot of scrambling on the back 9 to grind out a score.
    I hit 2 balls in water and 1 out of bounds but crucially scored a point on each of those 3 holes to keep my score going. 29 putts for the round was probably my best of the year.

The prize was Boards branded Vice Pro Plus golf balls which I had never used before. I decided to try them out in yesterday's club competition and shot 42 points to finish 3rd and earn a 0.8 cut :)
    I hit 10 GIR which again is probably my best of the year.

To cap off the weekend myself and Recycled returned to the course after a quick cup of tea to finish a club fourball matchplay game which had been suspended after 16 holes due to darkness.
    Our opponents birdied the 18th to bring us to tie-holes but Recycled struck back with a birdie of his own on the 1st to earn us a semi-final spot

That is a big turnaround in my game. After the lockdown I only hit the buffer once in my first 12 games and was struggling to hit 30 points most weeks. Good to have my game back on track

Excellent stuff Paulos and glad to hear the balls got put to good use already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

36pts and a 0.2 cut in Portmarnock Links yesterday
    nearly back to 3
    onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

GreeBo wrote: »
    Your score is qualifying from a handicap purpose, just not for the competition.

FWIW I think requiring your handicap to be on the card is an archaic rule.

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for the info. Yeah it's frustrating as everything was on the computer correctly and my GUI # was on the card as well as all my points. Just totally brained it and forgot to write 23 on the card. Also frustrating as I have mates in other clubs where they don't even have to submit the physical cards, just the computer and then enter it on an App.

Would have been nice to win something but lesson learned! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I played Athlone last Saturday and felt pretty miserable about scoring 23pts off 16 until I heard some of the prizes went to 27pts so I wasnt as far off as I thought it was just playing tough (we played off the whites). As per my PM to Rikand I've never seen it looking so well. Greens have improved massively and they were lightning quick. The practice green told us that but we didnt quite believe it until a few holes in.

Played twice in our Classic at Moate on Sunday and got a prize at the second attempt so we'll be using a 4 ball voucher from Tullamore at some stage. We had over 150 teams playing between Wednesday & Sunday and that is three times our normal amount for recent years. I was fairly stiff on Monday morning after a 54 hole weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Played the medal in Ballykisteen on Sunday. Shot 36 points which I was delighted with as my game has been off for a while. My ball striking is getting back to where it should be, putting is still a bit hit and miss though.

The highlight was a birdie on the 3rd. Also had 6 pars, including 3 in a row. Scratched two holes and had a double bogey on 18 as I put myself in a horrible position in the back of a heavily sloped bunker on 18. Turns out 38 points won the competition so I wasn't far away but encouraging signs at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Second round of the Captains on Saturday and all did not go well.
    2 Doubles too me out of the running and, despite putting well, couldn't make a birdie to right the ship.

Played 8 holes last night and made 4 birdies...stupid game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I went back golfing in June after a few years gone. I put in the 3 required cards averaging 105 per round. The HCC gave me 19 and after another month I appealed as was bringing in 10pts average for 9 hole comps. My HCP was pushed out to 23 and started to both play a bit better and bring in better scores :)

Last Saturday casual golf I finally broke 100 (97 for 34pts), which included a 7 on the 16th par 3 :D.

The plan over the winter is to get lessons and work on driving short game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

The plan over the winter is to get lessons and work on driving short game

I had a "driving short game" for a while, wouldn't recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

willabur wrote: »
    I had a "driving short game" for a while, wouldn't recommend it

30 points on Sunday (12 on the front and 18 on the back) after shooting 42 the weekend before. Granted the 42 points came out of now where as I have been playing so poorly lately. In the space of 2 years I have gone from an 10 handicapper who looked liked single figures was just around the corner to now just about hanging onto or bouncing between 13 to 14! I actually don't know whats going wrong and worse I don't seem to know how to fix it....lessons, driving range practice, course practice noting seems to click. Maybe I am just over thinking/doing it and need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭eggy81

31 points off 20 in tullamore on Sunday. The comp was actually stroke play and I shot 97 gross in the intermediate scratch cup in which I had to play off 18 to be eligible. Good form of a month ago is a distant memory now. Driving is gone to complete pott. I seem to have gotten stuck between trying to control and hit my driver and I'm doing neither. My bad drive initially had always been a high slice which I eventually got under control and I spent a long time with the driver being the only club I was confident with. But now I'm snap hooking it low and the few times I do hit It straight in a round its short. Like 50 yards short of best efforts.

Luckily my putting over this year has become rock solid and my wedge play is good from inside 100 yards which is keeping some air of respectability on the scores. Driving and mid irons need a lot of attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

eggy81 wrote: »
    31 points off 20 in tullamore on Sunday. The comp was actually stroke play and I shot 97 gross in the intermediate scratch cup in which I had to play off 18 to be eligible.

Balls, I was told I couldn't enter as I couldn't drop down to 18 to play even though there was a few slots free Sunday. Need to get one more counting round done to keep my competition handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played the weekly open competition at Arklow yesterday.

31 points. Which is the best I have scored in a competition down there since joining. The killer part, I had 20 points on the front 9 and 11 on the back. I have 2 bogey holes on the back 9 and after about 10 rounds of competition golf this year down there I have probably only collected 2/3 points on these holes altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Due to play the Hermitage in Lucan next week. Never played it before. Anybody any reviews on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Due to play the Hermitage in Lucan next week. Never played it before. Anybody any reviews on it?

Played it about 10 years ago but thought it was excellent. Heard very good things about the conditioning and greens in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Do you know what's frustrating me at the moment? Those shots that you don't play many of but that can really take down a score if you end up with a couple of them in a round. The two in thinking of really are bunker shots and driving.

I took three to get out of a bunker the last day I played. The problem really is that I haven't hit many bunker shots since I restarted playing golf about a year ago.

As for driving, I went out to the range twice recently to practice it. On both occasions, after a coupe of warm up shots, I was hitting them long and straight. 3 of my first 4 each time were wild. Then after than about 8 out of 10 were probably fairway balls and the other two weren't all that far off. But on my course, the most I'll hit are 4 drivers in a round. And the first two of those are not forgiving drives.

I could hit a three wood or iron off the tee for those two holes, but I'd rather improve the driver and use it.

I'm not so much looking for advice, just venting.

Advertisement