Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Another awful medal this morning, 3rd week in a row with a .1 back(we're playing catch up for April, May, June). Something like 103-17 for 86 nett. Don't know what's going wrong. I'm back to all my old mistakes, sliced drives, chunked fairway irons, bladed wedges through greens, 3/4 putts etc. Not sure what to do, more practice or maybe just play less for a while(I've been playing a lot recently)

In a similar boat, think I'm playing too much. Had 41 pts yesterday followed by 11 today in a 9 hole comp. Really struggling with consistency:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Off 16

Net 66 in medal

42 on the front
    40 on the back.

9 pars
    1 double bogey
    7 bogeys
    Took 7 on the par 4 18th. Real sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Off 24
    Society outing in Roscrea
    Started with a birdie and finished front 9 with 22points.
    Delighted with myself.

Then

Every tee shot slice into trees. Went from driver to 4 hybrid, same result.
    Wedges (which could do no wrong front 9) started chunking/blading.
    12 points back 9.
    Gutted with myself.

But in fairness it’s there. Just need to concentrate and figure out slice from tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

A disappointing 36 points off 7.

1 birdie
    12 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 doubles

Missed a 4 footer and 3 footer on 16 and 18.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

43 points off 18 today, with a scratch as well. Played really well, drives were good bar one or two, and wasn't punished too bad with those. Putting was great, and short irons were also on form. Long irons again were a problem, but didn't need them too often.

Unfortunately, there's a chance i will be DQ'd. For some reason, i am showing as 15.1 handicap now, after shooting 45 points in Craddockstown on Monday. Except I didn't shoot 45, i shot 31, and i didn't even hand in my card. So no idea why i was cut. Because of that confusion, along with both of us still being a bit unsure of what we are actually supposed to do when marking cards, I marked my card as an 18 handicap, and not 15. I did have my strokes score on each hole, so maybe they'll be ok with that. Talked to the pro, and he said he'll try sort it out, but i suspect it will be a DQ. Better not lose out on a first win cause of that :P

What is the current rule with cards? Mark your own and get it signed at the end, or mark your partners and get it signed? The guy today said we keep our own cards, then do it on the app afterwards. Wouldn't sign mine at the end either, as he said he wasn't the marker :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Kiith wrote:
    What is the current rule with cards? Mark your own and get it signed at the end, or mark your partners and get it signed? The guy today said we keep our own cards, then do it on the app afterwards. Wouldn't sign mine at the end either, as he said he wasn't the marker :/

What our club is doing is marking your playing partners with your own score on the side, cross reference after the 18 and only marker signs and hand in the one you mark. You only have one scorecard from start to finish if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Off 16

Net 66 in medal

42 on the front
    40 on the back.

9 pars
    1 double bogey
    7 bogeys
    Great scoring. Did you win the medal?

Doubt it

Lst winners were 61 61 and 63 across 3 divisions. Messed up 18 so that is my chance gone i think

Its over saturday and sunday so wont know until during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

33 points today off 20.

14 on the front and 19 on the back. Didn’t have any scratches which is a positive but had far too many single pointers. Happy enough with my consistency overall. Was cut 3 shots 3 weeks ago and have played to the old handicap for the past 2 weeks. Just need to get playing to the new handicap now. Hopefully 33 keeps me in the buffer zone and I don’t get a .1 back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

36 Pts off 10 today. 18/18

Felt like I played useless, clubbing up short all the time. Chipping and putting saving me.
    1birdie
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    2 doubles.

Started off very well, level after 4 but went downhill from there. Just have to take the positives that I hit a lot of fairways and only 31 putts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

24pts off 16 yesterday. The glorious inconsistency continues. Hard to hit 2 good shots in a row. Very busy weekend with the Captains Prize Final on Saturday (wasnt playing) and I was up to ninety (on Committee) over the last couple of weeks so I need to find some quite time and work on my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I played golf for 3 days in Donegal last week. It was amazing, felt like an eternity. Seems like an age since I was back in work.

Played in narin the first day, portsalon the second and cruit the third.

To be honest the third day was a write off from a golfing point of view, we were knackered and double hung over. But the views are beyond incredible. By far the most scenic of the three days, and there was stiff competition the first two days. The course is excellent, a nine hole. But pictures don't do the views justice. If ever you get a chance to play it jump at it. Unless it's misty I suppose.

Narin was my favourite course, but I didn't play great. My watch was calibrated to the old course and it made me realise how reliant I am on it! I couldn't get my distances right. Conditions were tough, it was very windy. And my putting was awful, I had a four putt and 5 three putts. So you can guess with all the excuses I've rattled off, I had a terrible score - 20 points!

Portsalon was the first day of decent golf I've played in quite some time. I still had 4 scratches and a couple of three putts, but I drove well for most of the day and came in with 30 points. In a big wind that wasn't a bad score.

For me I found narin a bit more tricky than portsalon. That said, portsalon was tougher from the tee for me. You needed a bit of distance on that course and driver was an intimidating club to be hitting a lot of the time. I felt I had a bit more room from the tee in narin, but there were a lot of very tricky shots that you were left with.

But Donegal is a fabulous place to go and play. €35 for an open the first day, €50 gui rate in portsalon and €20 for 9 holes in cruit. Outrageous value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

28 points (13/15) off 23 in Blessington Lakes on Friday evening. Fourth round back playing.

Despite the poor score I was happy as despite a fair few awful shots I felt my ball striking was the best it's been since I started back playing, and the shots I did hit well actually went straight (ish). Playing a couple of times this weekend hopefully and am aiming to get to the range every day this week so hopefully can keep things moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

38 points off 5 at the weekend. Started with 3 bogeys, but steadied the ship and managed to get to the turn level for 20 points. Same story on the back with 3 bogeys running again. Mostly as a result of not getting up and down which was annoying. Still 18 on the back and a small cut overall which i'm happy with. 4.6 now so almost one yearly goal achieved. Only hit 3 fairways though which is a little area of concern but hopefully that puts itself right. New putter in the bag this week which seemed to work well. Hopefully the good form continues over the next few weeks.

Broke 80 2 days in a row.

78 77

Off the greens tonight so shorter course.
    4/4 out of the bunkers.

2 birdies
    11 pars
    3 bogeys (final 3 holes)
    1 double
    1 treble

I think a 74/75 is coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Broke 80 2 days in a row.

78 77

Off the greens tonight so shorter course.
    4/4 out of the bunkers.

2 birdies
    11 pars
    3 bogeys (final 3 holes)
    1 double
    1 treble

I think a 74/75 is coming soon.

Good shooting! You must have been raging with the 3 bogeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

36 points today (non comp), actually played quite well for the most part bar 2 holes. 10 pars which was fun as I'd say 7/10 came from 2 putts. Can hopefully keep it up and get some more birdies

etxp wrote: »
    Good shooting! You must have been raging with the 3 bogeys?

Not too fussed because tonight wasn't a comp. Saturday or sunday would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Shot 108 strokes on Saturday off 20 hcap so nett +16. The worst round I can remember having. Strangely the putting was not the issue like it has been for the past month but I went OOB off the tee on 7 different occasions. My driving/ tee shot placement is normally the strongest part of my game.
    My head isn't in the right place for stroke play at the moment because I know a bad hole and the whole round is gone. I am usually very good at putting a bad shot behind me and playing the next hole as a new challenge. Hopefully I can get a stable ford comp in some time soon.
    The club are trying to catch up on all the missed medals so that is all there is at the weekend at the moment.
    I was sorely tempted not to play the comp this weekend but with whispers of some restrictions coming back I decided to try to get as much competitive golf in as I can.
    Lets hope i can get back in the buffer at least next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got out for 9 holes late last night. Course was probably in its best condition all year. 3 holes temporarily out of play for a couple of days as they finalise the new course, so it was never going to be a full 18, maybe that brought a more relaxed mindset from myself.

+4 for the 9 holes.
    Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Double, Par, Double, Par.

Solid golf and gave myself 3 or 4 looks at birdies, disappointed a couple didn't drop. The greens were incredibly fast, would love to know what they were on the stimp as I don't think I've play on faster, ever actually.The speed sent a shiver down the spine on the first and fears of 3 putts came rushing back but I got the hang of them and actually liked the fast pace. You were barely tapping them from 6 ft.

The doubles were both a combination of following a bad shot with another, both poorish approaches and bad chips, poor execution rather than the wrong choice. In general, I'm learning to play the course a lot better.

Love that zen like feeling of playing good golf, it's a rarity but hopefully it happens a bit more.

• Advertisement

Off 16

Net 66 in medal

42 on the front
    40 on the back.

9 pars
    1 double bogey
    7 bogeys

Lost by one shot. Edit: lost in my category by one. Not overall

18 cost me. Really sickened now

Good new is down to 14.5 so.1 away from my targetfor year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Lost by one shot.

18 cost me. Really sickened now

Good new is down to 14.5 so.1 away from my targetfor year

Lost your category by 1. Lost the medal by 4!! I knew the net 62 was out there before I teed off!

Edit: just seen the 61....by a 13 handicapper new to the course

Cut a probably temporary cut to 17 myself!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Lost your category by 1. Lost the medal by 4!! I knew the net 62 was out there before I teed off!

Edit: just seen the 61....by a 13 handicapper new to the course

Cut a probably temporary cut to 17 myself!

Apologies. Meant my category.

With the whopper scores coming in i knew no chance of the overall and didnt even come into my thinking so was aiming at my division.

Edit: where are you seeing the scores before hand? Live leaderbord on how did i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

23, 33, 29 in my last 3 rounds. Losing balls off the tee has been the real killer.

Had improved over Winter and at start of being back. But gone to sh1te last 2 weeks, very frustrating.
    Captains this weekend and half tempted not to bother :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i'm actually playing pretty good golf of late, have most parts of my game under control but still have an auld blow up here or there.
    but still putting scores together nearly every time I go out.

except when i'm playing in a counting singles it seems. 4 of them since we opened back up and followed a 36 pointer with 3 .1's back in a row. 32 points, 29 points, 32 points again yesterday which had 3 scratches, 3 lost balls, 3 3putts, 7 pars and a birdie! typical.

i'm playing fourball later on. will probably shoot the lights out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I shot 97 in strokes medal on Sunday, 8 over my handicap but due to a combination of CSS of 74 and Clause 19 adjustments, I was in my buffer and had no 0.1 back. I had 2 really bad holes with a 12 and a 9 on par 5s but 16 decent holes.

7 hole stretch this morning had one par and 2 1 pointers over first ten holes

Started first three ok bogey par bogey and then took two out of greenside bunker twice trying to be too precise instead of just getting the ball out. Hit trees on three holes in a row. Not sure if it was tiredness or stupidity. Possibly a bit of both

3 pars overall

one birdie after knocking a 7 iron to about 8 feet on 13 to cheer me up and then Finished out well to end up with 19 on the back nine and 10 on the front.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »
    43 points off 18 today, with a scratch as well. Played really well, drives were good bar one or two, and wasn't punished too bad with those. Putting was great, and short irons were also on form. Long irons again were a problem, but didn't need them too often.

Unfortunately, there's a chance i will be DQ'd. For some reason, i am showing as 15.1 handicap now, after shooting 45 points in Craddockstown on Monday. Except I didn't shoot 45, i shot 31, and i didn't even hand in my card. So no idea why i was cut. Because of that confusion, along with both of us still being a bit unsure of what we are actually supposed to do when marking cards, I marked my card as an 18 handicap, and not 15. I did have my strokes score on each hole, so maybe they'll be ok with that. Talked to the pro, and he said he'll try sort it out, but i suspect it will be a DQ. Better not lose out on a first win cause of that :P

And i actually won the competition off the 15 handicap they incorrectly gave me. Shot 41 points with that, which was just about enough to win.

First ever win for me, so absolutely delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seve OB wrote: »
    i'm actually playing pretty good golf of late, have most parts of my game under control but still have an auld blow up here or there.
    but still putting scores together nearly every time I go out.

except when i'm playing in a counting singles it seems. 4 of them since we opened back up and followed a 36 pointer with 3 .1's back in a row. 32 points, 29 points, 32 points again yesterday which had 3 scratches, 3 lost balls, 3 3putts, 7 pars and a birdie! typical.

i'm playing fourball later on. will probably shoot the lights out :rolleyes:

Well I was in the zone alright.

8 pars, 2 birdies (could have been 5). Couple of bad holes, tiredness kicked in towards the end.

44 points in the fourball, we had 3 1 pointers we didn’t Dovetail the bad holes!

I hit some phenomenal shots today, best may have been from deep in the trees on the last, decided to go for the smallest of gaps hitting a 3 wood when I had no business in doing so and sticking it on the green!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Back playing once a week since courses opened after lockdown, after 10 years or so playing sporadically (couple of rounds a year) having let my membership lapse after finishing as a juvenile. Got cards in to the handicap secretary, got awarded 22 which is fair given my lack of consistency, hit the ball well but very up and down.

Shot 33 points and 94 gross on Tuesday which I was happy enough with, ball striking a lot more consistent. This morning I got out again and shot 88 gross and 39 points, with a birdie, five pars and two scratched holes.

Advertisement