Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Kiith wrote: »
    Isn't that what you're meant to do? :pac:

I do it so often I am not even sure anymore..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Then you barely pass the red tees with your next drive and hit a 3 wood on to the green :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

36 points off 17 today.

Decided to go out early and get in a round before (and kind of during :pac:) work. Had a poor front 9, with only 14 points. Drives were ok, but was making really poor choices and it cost me badly on several holes. Got a par on 9 and 10 and then birdied 11 to get myself back to level and hopeful to hit 36 points. Double bogey on the 14th, followed by a really good par on 16 kept me there. Shanked my drive on the par 3 17th for a 5 and figured i'd lost the chance. Definitely thought it was gone after i slided my drive and shanked my 2nd about 30 yards, leaving me 200 yards out. Took out my 5 iron, hit it absolutely perfectly to within a foot for a sweet par and 36 points.

Flies out again, and really hard to concentrate at times. Need to get some Deet or somthing to cover myself in going forward.

Overall, really happy with it as i usually have a terrible back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

+18 for 30 points yesterday. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

34 points of 16. Still all over the place with my driver but if i don't go at it they stay straight. Miserable way to play golf if you ask me.

I hit a lot of greens in regulation but that without any wind at all. I probably had double figures of 3 putts so 34 is not telling it all and, considering my putting has been good recently, that's disappointing.

I have zero idea what the next round will bring at this point. The only thing consistent at the minute is my chipping which has dug me out a few times.

I did shape a 3 wood 210 around a tree on a par 5 to get it on the green so that brought out a smile. I followed it with a 3 putt :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

+5 for 44 points

Playing super well. Missed a chance to go proper low. 3 putted from birdie position on 15, 16. Was in middle of fairway on 18, approach was about 6 inches off being perfect. Took a woeful bounce into greenside rough for another bogey

It's funny I always thought I would need to hit great, heroic shots to hit a number like that. But it's really about just picking your line and knowing your number on approach play and getting the ball to the hole on putts

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Had a lesson tuesday as I was strugging off the tee with a terrible hook. Path was around +10, face +6 so nowhere near where i wanted to be. Pro got me on video and compared me to Nick Watney (of all pros during this pandemic) in a down the line view.

My problem was I was taking the club inside too much on the takeway. His club face was at his pockets when at waist high, mine was several inches behind.

Thankfully got it sorted and was able to keep the ball in play last night. Even hit a few nice fades with driver which helped when needed.

Poor front 9. 2 doubles, 1 3 putt for bogey and a couple of good birdie looks missed. +7

Played holes 12 to 17 par birdie birdie par birdie par. Holded a high bunker shot which hopped twice, spun and dissappeared. Poor bogey on par 5 18, duffed chip after perfect driver, 3 wood to 20 yards short of green.

37 points of 7.

edit: category prize and £13 for a 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The good form continued today.

39pts 20/19 off 11. 79(+8) strokes.

Played well but just had a few stupid shots. Underclubbing and trying to force the tee shot on a couple of par 3’s let to further mistakes.

First round with the new watch, so hopefully after a few rounds when I have average distances for each club I won’t have the underclubbing issue.

Looking forward to comps coming back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Another 31 points 13/18 off 14 (thought I was off 13 since start of season but nope)
    Far too many stupid errors (see above).
    Got to see the best round though by a playing partner 3 under nett of 11. 5 birdies and 2 bogeys. Stunning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

37 points off 17, without my driver again (just forgot it this time :P). Long irons were only ok, but my short game was really on form. Almost every wedge shot i hit was within 10-15 feet, and I was sinking quite a few of the putts. It really makes a massive different to your score when you can chip/putt well.

Once i get my driver sorted (and don't forget it), i am hoping for some really good scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Finally had a good round (well 9 holes). 19 points on 9 off 14. I played in tramore and thinking back I wonder how much the different course made a difference to my normal corballis.

I had a birdie and a par on the par 5s. In corballis there's only one par 5. My drives were great - I used the driver 5 times on 9 holes and was long and straight on every one. In corballis I'd use it 4 times on 18 max. I went long on two of the par 3s. Chipped back on and had 2 putts for bogey. In corballis going over the green you could lose a ball or at least have a hack out chip from it. In tramore I had 8 chances of up and downs from within 10 feet of the green for par (1 for birdie). and the other I was on in regulation. I only made one of those up and downs, so there was certainly potential for a better score.

I am delighted to go to 19 points on 9 compared to 23 on 18 my last day out. But I'm not convinced I'll be scoring anything like that in corballis next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

32 points of 7.

Had 24 points after 11 holes so it was one that got away!

If you were to add my back 9 from thursday's comp to my front 9 yesterday - 42 points. funny old game.
    In fact, i played a six hole stretch -3 on thursday night and +8 yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Played Corbalis for the first time since I was a teenager (long time ago)
    Was -1 thru 6 and the hail pounded us for about an hour (driver went flying out of my hands on one hole) so turned in +2 eagle on the par 5 had me back at level and kind of messed around the rest of the back nine with 2 bogies and a double on the way in.. 70 overall forgot how nice the course was the greens are so true and my god you can be punished for missing fairways...

So missed playing links golf , enjoying being back
    Playing no more multi year breaks!!!

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Played Corbalis for the first time since I was a teenager (long time ago)
    Was -1 thru 6 and the hail pounded us for about an hour (driver went flying out of my hands on one hole) so turned in +2 eagle on the par 5 had me back at level and kind of messed around the rest of the back nine with 2 bogies and a double on the way in.. 70 overall forgot how nice the course was the greens are so true and my god you can be punished for missing fairways...

So missed playing links golf , enjoying being back
    Playing no more multi year breaks!!!
    That is serious going, what are you playing off? I also played today and conditions were super tough. Esp around holes 6 and 7 where the wind was blowing in two different directions on each hole. Air mailed a gap wedge onto the beach despite the wind being in my face on the tee

35 points in seriously windy conditions in corballis.
    Putting was better with a 4 1 putts to save points.

1 birdie
    8 pars
    5 bogies
    3 doubles
    1 trip to the beach

Really hard to judge the game as the wind just forced you to fight hard to keep the ball in play. Ball was visibly wobbling from the wind on the top of tee pegs and on the green. **** me it was fun ����

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

willabur wrote: »
    That is serious going, what are you playing off? I also played today and conditions were super tough. Esp around holes 6 and 7 where the wind was blowing in two different directions on each hole. Air mailed a gap wedge onto the beach despite the wind being in my face on the tee

No handicap yet, only back playing after a few years out since lockdown.. been practicing and went back to my old coach before hitting the course again but 2 of 3 cards in and looking for around 5-6.. was a member of the island for a period as a junior and all boys and inters where on links when I was a kid, much prefer playing it to parkland suits me much more..

The weather until 6 was lovely and on the tee on 6 I think (short par 3 down hill) wind and hail kicked in and on 8th tee hit lovely drive but my club landed in the trees on the left of the tee box.. scared me as love that driver..

Only real mistake until late was on 9 as hit a perfect 6 iron but wind caught it and landed short (I thought it was on the flag when struck) had to play out of the hazard (trickled over the line) and took a sloppy 4..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played in 40mph winds today in our place,nearly unplayable but shot a credible 33 pts 18/15 off 9...game is nearly there after big swing change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Played in 40mph winds today in our place,nearly unplayable but shot a credible 33 pts 18/15 off 9...game is nearly there after big swing change
    That's a fine score in the wind up there. The 7th would have been a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had like 25 or 26 points in Arklow today. First time playing it though, wind was catching me out as was left in between clubs quite often, and some of those times it led to going into hazards. Had started well too.

Nice to get onto a links though, was only a fun round so not overly bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Won the first the first club comp since we are back yesterday

38 points off 10 in a serious wind
    Cut 0.4 and back to 9

Delighted since I haven't put a decent round together in a year.

Good start and good finish with a big wobble in the middle

• Advertisement

woodyg wrote: »
    That's a fine score in the wind up there. The 7th would have been a nightmare

Into the wind 95% of the time, secret is to play it as par 5 when into strong wind, I usually go down to 3 wood off tee then 4 or 5 iron short of green then pitch and putt for par or 2 putts for bogey and you don't loose out to the field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Won the first the first club comp since we are back yesterday

38 points off 10 in a serious wind
    Cut 0.4 and back to 9

Delighted since I haven't put a decent round together in a year.

Good start and good finish with a big wobble in the middle

Nice shooting. WP.

How did ye deal with bunkers and pins during comp?

Just back from playing Blessington Lakes as a guest, Shot 39pts off 9.. 17/22 level par back 9.I was a member there for many years and always enjoy going back to play with old pals, I have to say and the usual stuff will probably be thrown in but as a course and conditioning I honestly don't think there is better around and those of you on other threads looking to join clubs within 30/40 minute drives from home, do yourself a favor and try it out. Only reason I'm not back there(I left when owner put it up for sale) is that my club now is 7 mins from my door.. Sorry for going on but it's just magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nice shooting. WP.

How did ye deal with bunkers and pins during comp?

Pins stayed in all the time. There is a piece of pipe insulation in the hole to stop the ball dropping all the way to the bottom.

preferred lie in bunkers - 6 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well 36 points in the first competition in castleknock off 12.
    5 yes 5 3putts........ along with a 4putt :(
    On top of that ball in the water on 11 meant I had to play 3 off the tee a Hitler (2 shots in the bunker) on 16 and found the hazard again on 17.
    Still, at least a respectable score :rolleyes:

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well 36 points in the first competition in castleknock off 12.
    5 yes 5 3putts........ along with a 4putt :(
    On top of that ball in the water on 11 meant I had to play 3 off the tee a Hitler (2 shots in the bunker) on 16 and found the hazard again on 17.
    Still, at least a respectable score :rolleyes:

Take out any 3 of those mistakes and you would have had a great round.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭bamayang

I'm always getting angry with myself for 3 putts, but in reality they are prob a given in the majority of rounds for double digit handicappers. Would that be fair to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

bamayang wrote: »
    I'm always getting angry with myself for 3 putts, but in reality they are prob a given in the majority of rounds for double digit handicappers. Would that be fair to say?

Yep. I'd see a higher chance of missing a short putt or not putting the first one close enough.

Good news is this is something that can knock shots off your round and is easy to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

bamayang wrote: »

You're absolutely right. We'll all give ourselves some really tough two putts in a round, either very long or being on the wrong level, or having a really steep downhill putt. The chances of getting down in two from these can be 50/50.

I used to go over my rounds after them and count back what aspects of my game cost me shots. If I three putted from the length of a green I wouldn't count that as a dropped shot from putting. It was certainly a missed opportunity, but leaving the first within 6 feet might have been a decent putt and 6 footers are as missable as they are makeable.

On the other hand, if you're three putting regularly from 15 feet then you have a problem!

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    You're absolutely right. We'll all give ourselves some really tough two putts in a round, either very long or being on the wrong level, or having a really steep downhill putt. The chances of getting down in two from these can be 50/50.

I used to go over my rounds after them and count back what aspects of my game cost me shots. If I three putted from the length of a green I wouldn't count that as a dropped shot from putting. It was certainly a missed opportunity, but leaving the first within 6 feet might have been a decent putt and 6 footers are as missable as they are makeable.

On the other hand, if you're three putting regularly from 15 feet then you have a problem!

If you look at the situations you 3 putted, the ones you mention where you leave yourself in an awful spot, you will probably find an improvement in your approach play would reduce the amount of 3 putts rather than practicing your putting. I know if I reduced my proximity to the hole on my approach play by 50% I would nearly guarantee my 3 putts per round would come down, rather than practicing my putting from 50 feet.

There is some mad stats around this sort of stuff. You are more likely to 2 putt if you hit a GIR I read somewhere before than if you are off the green.

But like you say if you are 3 putting from 15 feet regularly, then you are probably a terrible putter.

Advertisement