Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

PARlance wrote: »
    Bryson DePicasso

How did google know I wanted to make pancakes though :D

delete-j.png

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Talking of Bryson, Roadrunner Are you still with the one length irons??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Talking of Bryson, Roadrunner Are you still with the one length irons??

No I switched back to many length

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Joined a new club 2 years ago after moving house and haven't bet my handicap yet. Front 9 doesn't suit my eye at all and it's probably in my head a bit now too. Also lack of playing last year after an injury and this year because of covid my swing fell back into every old habit I had and the dreaded s***ks made a horrible return. 2 lesson in last 2 weeks or so and I'm starting to see an improvement at last but a long way to go.

2 days of captains prize last week playing off 12 I shot +24 first day (+20 front 9) and +20 second day (+15 front 9). Only positive I could take from the 2 days was I was only 9 over for the back 9 which included 2 doubles on the 18th. And my putting has improved alot more one putts than 3 putts for first time in forever!

Do you have a course plan for the front 9? Do you stick to it? :)
    It seems to be killing your card so maybe you need a less aggressive strategy, even it means playing bogey golf on every hole, you will still be pretty close to your handicap and are likely to make some pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

GreeBo wrote:
    Do you have a course plan for the front 9? Do you stick to it? It seems to be killing your card so maybe you need a less aggressive strategy, even it means playing bogey golf on every hole, you will still be pretty close to your handicap and are likely to make some pars.

I have a plan but it doesn't seem to work out due to a bad shot (s**nk, Duff, 3putt) I know it sounds silly but the shots seem to add up quicker on the front. 1 bad shot is almost guarantee bogie or worse it's easier save par on back 9 (more forgiving).
    Alot of problem is driver is my best club and I can only use it on 3 holes on front 9 but 6/7 holes on back 9.
    Course starts with 2 difficult par 5s and then a very short par 3 (95yards) surrounded by water so it's easy be 3 or 4 over through 3 and uphill battle from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RoadRunner wrote: »
    How did google know I wanted to make pancakes though :D

delete-j.png

I was more interested in the - How to lose weight fast..... it's always easier putting it on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

This game just doesn't make sense.
    38 points of 13
    Iron play which is usually very strong was absolute rubbish. Mi**** every single iron
    Putter was absolute fire tho. 28 putts

Genuinely the absolute opposite of everything that was happening 2 weeks ago

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played twice on Monday, and didn't hit 30 points either time. Driving is killing me, and costing me 1-2 shots per hole. Everything else was ok, so need to figure that out first.

Too old for 36 holes these days though...was shattered yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

17/15
    32 points off 16.
    Felt i played well just didnt score well if that makes sense

New putter is getting better. Missing them still but missing them a lot closer so tapping in which is both good and infuriating.

Had to go to range after with just my driver and hope to have figured something out for sundays medal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

38 points off 6 and had something very very good going for a while.

Finishing poorly.

First time I beat my handicap in a good year I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

83 strokes on Sunday in the howling wind and rain at Castlewarden Scratch Cup. Won the Intermediate Cup with that score so delighted with first competition back. A nice one to win.

That's one in Rathcore and one in Castlewarden on the mantelpiece.

Been fighting a left hand grip situation for a good while now and when I get it right ball striking is transformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

the lawman wrote: »
    83 strokes on Sunday in the howling wind and rain at Castlewarden Scratch Cup. Won the Intermediate Cup with that score so delighted with first competition back. A nice one to win.

That's one in Rathcore and one in Castlewarden on the mantelpiece.

Been fighting a left hand grip situation for a good while now and when I get it right ball striking is transformed.

Well done on the win, shot 86 in it myself with a couple of bad blow ups. Greenside bunker on 5 in 2, walked off with a 7, then 3 putted 10, 11 & 13. Finished birdie-birdie to get buffer.

Weather was appalling the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Well done on the win, shot 86 in it myself with a couple of bad blow ups. Greenside bunker on 5 in 2, walked off with a 7, then 3 putted 10, 11 & 13. Finished birdie-birdie to get buffer.

Weather was appalling the whole day.

Cheers. Weather was as bad as I've played there, like a good links day!

I was 9 over on the 18th tee and pushed a drive into right trees, nowhere close to OBB but when we went up to it it was nestled in between two protruding roots and their tree! Had to take an unplayable and a double!

Only got a cut of 0.2 too which is annoying. Not sure how CSS was 74 when only 3 people broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

31 points in Murvagh
    15/16

Started terribly, driver putting me in awful trouble. Ended up leaving it in bag and started a good run of pars, only for it to end unceremoniously with a 3 putt. Started back 9 weakly, but then got a bit of flow going. Will be a .1 so be back off 13 next outing.

Playing partner had hole in one though, was class

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Ran the course on my own yesterday evening trying to bring lesson to the course. Went around in 2hrs and 1 minute and scored a flattering 34 points considering the muddy duffs that were my irons shots.

Mad part about it was I didn't really take time over any putt but I holed a bunch from long range and left everything close that missed. Only thing that saved the points total really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

pakman wrote: »
    Ran the course on my own yesterday evening trying to bring lesson to the course. Went around in 2hrs and 1 minute and scored a flattering 34 points considering the muddy duffs that were my irons shots.

Mad part about it was I didn't really take time over any putt but I holed a bunch from long range and left everything close that missed. Only thing that saved the points total really.

That’s good scoring when moving at that pace. I assume you’d be a quick player anyway would you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Two casual rounds Monday with some gimmees.
    13 over in Luttrellstown and 26 over in New Forest, that place is just relentless, glad I left it, momentum very hard to maintain.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

First comp outing of the year yesterday; 32pts - 19/13 in the drizzly miserable rain yesterday evening. Enjoyable despite the wet.

Rough was very heavy so anything off the fairway was well punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭This is it

martinkop wrote: »
    First comp outing of the year yesterday; 32pts - 19/13 in the drizzly miserable rain yesterday evening. Enjoyable despite the wet.

Rough was very heavy so anything off the fairway was well punished.

What does 19/13 mean? I'm obviously very new to golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

19 stableford points on front 9
    13 on the back

you get 2 points on a hole for a par adjusted to your handicap based on the difficulty(index) of hole. A person with a handicap of 1 will get 2 points for a bogey on index 1. A person with handicap of 9 will get 2 points for bogies on 9 most difficult holes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

That’s good scoring when moving at that pace. I assume you’d be a quick player anyway would you?

Generally playing too slow allows my brain to get involved and that's never good for my round. I had some crazy putting success, that I usually don't have, so the 34 was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

A disappointing 26pts off 15 in Moate's Thursday Open yesterday means I'm off 16 as of today....................

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

79 in Killeen Castle, lovely day for it and played the white stakes..
    Struck the ball great but putting killed me .. had 11 birdie chances from inside 20ft and did not get one..
    3 putted on 2 par 5s when I had eagle chances ..

Game is very close to coming back to where it was years ago, not really spent any time on the flagstick so booking into pure golf to get a understanding and will put some time in over the next while on short stick..

Sent 2 of my 3 cards in now for handicap, problem I have is I get some practice time but playing time is limited..

On side note loved Killeen Castle, top quality course but greens lacked pure roll.. great backdrop and have to say amazing value

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Rippeditup wrote: »
    79 in Killeen Castle, lovely day for it and played the white stakes..
    Struck the ball great but putting killed me .. had 11 birdie chances from inside 20ft and did not get one..
    3 putted on 2 par 5s when I had eagle chances ..

Game is very close to coming back to where it was years ago, not really spent any time on the flagstick so booking into pure golf to get a understanding and will put some time in over the next while on short stick..

Sent 2 of my 3 cards in now for handicap, problem I have is I get some practice time but playing time is limited..

On side note loved Killeen Castle, top quality course but greens lacked pure roll.. great backdrop and have to say amazing value

sounds like stress free golf there. how many GIR?

sounds like stress free golf there. how many GIR?

14 GiR and had 2 up and downs which will give some clue into the putting haha..

Went into McGuirs to look at some putters and have a time for assessment with pure golf ( I play out of stackstown now as my putter is the one I used 10 years ago)

Only back playing so not too concerned as the work on irons and wedges is paying off from through lockdown and since..

Loved that track, greens and setup allows for aggressive golf

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

34 points today off 18 in Kilrush. Had 7 pars and 6 bogeys and threw a 9 in on the index 1 11th! Three putted the last for 91 strokes but I was off the yellow tees tbf. Lovely course and probably not too hard.

95 strokes in Kilkee too! Links light! The 3rd hole over chimney bay is class! Parred it too!

Had two pars on the 9 hole in Spanish point. What a fantastic little course! The wind was treacherous too! Would like another crack at it as off the fairway is penal! Only had 9 or 10 points!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

43 points off 17. That's my best ever stableford score, and joint ever stroke play (gross 80).

It's a funny old game. After two terrible rounds where i didn't even break 30 on Monday, i go and shoot 43 points off the blue tees today. The blues aren't that punishing in our course, and just add 15-20 yards per hole it seems. Helps that my driving was seriously on form, so that extra distance didn't hurt me much. My short game was very good, bar two bad chips on par 3's that really punished me. Putting was also very good.

I was 1 shot off breaking my 2020 goal of breaking 80 (updated after breaking 90 a few months ago). Needed a par on the 18th, and screwed up my 2nd shot leaving me having to dig myself out of trouble on the 3rd, and then a 25 foot putt for par, which i just missed. Disappointed i didn't get that, but bloody delighted with how i played. I can easily see where the missed shots are, and i'm confident i'll finally manage it soon.

Captains prize qualifiers tomorrow, so if i can play anywhere near that well, i should easily qualify.

Kiith wrote: »
    43 points off 17. That's my best ever stableford score, and joint ever stroke play (gross 80).

It's a funny old game. After two terrible rounds where i didn't even break 30 on Monday, i go and shoot 43 points off the blue tees today. The blues aren't that punishing in our course, and just add 15-20 yards per hole it seems. Helps that my driving was seriously on form, so that extra distance didn't hurt me much. My short game was very good, bar two bad chips on par 3's that really punished me. Putting was also very good.

I was 1 shot off breaking my 2020 goal of breaking 80 (updated after breaking 90 a few months ago). Needed a par on the 18th, and screwed up my 2nd shot leaving me having to dig myself out of trouble on the 3rd, and then a 25 foot putt for par, which i just missed. Disappointed i didn't get that, but bloody delighted with how i played. I can easily see where the missed shots are, and i'm confident i'll finally manage it soon.

Captains prize qualifiers tomorrow, so if i can play anywhere near that well, i should easily qualify.

Great shooting, sometimes the longer holes help as makes for wider landing areas and fuller shots sometimes into holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Glebee

Kiith wrote: »

Great shooting Kilithy, anyone in Tullamore or around you would recommend for lessons, im gone to pot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Went eagle birdie birdie tonight.

Hole out from 108 yards
    birdie on par 3
    2 putt birdie on par 5.

Probably should retire and call it quits.

Advertisement