Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

22/17 off 9hc for 39 pts and 6+.
    I was 2+ after 15 and shanked an eagle chip on 16 to kick off a bogey bogey double finish while finding water on the last.

Improvements in chipping helping but so too are gimmes (casual golf) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

benny79 wrote: »
    Everyone has been here mate. Im sick of people telling me I should be off single figures with my swing! Im off 18.. My game is mainly mental and I try to hard.. I suggest getting a lesson thats what I do when it gets frustrating. I actually decided to get 1 a month this year and was flying it till lock down! Feel like I have gone 10 steps backwards now.. but Im seen my Pro in a week and sent him a video of my swing so have something to work on in the mean time. but my errors are always small... which I think is more frustrating. That I cant figure them out!

I'm exactly the same in that its all mental for me. Started off post lockdown so well and then swing adjusted myself into not being able to play golf. Its not intentional either but just trying to keep a feel when I'm hitting it well. Lessons in those cases are either great or they ruin me by giving me more to think about.

The worst is going for a lesson and inexplicably hitting it well :D . Now they are obliged to find something to help you with and I don't need more swing thoughts

pakman wrote: »
    The worst is going for a lesson and inexplicably hitting it well :D

:D LOL, would you not just try hit them a bit shyte in those cases

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Have you owned/played with blades before? I have hit my mates Wilson staff model blades and Im actually in love with them.. So easy to hit and ball sinks into face, great feel too. I was always told blades are for better players but I am hitting them much better than mine.. Thinking of getting a set :D

I had Titleist AP2's and wasn't liking them so gone back to my old titleist blades and forgot how good they feel.. like butter and the flight is so strong vs the AP2 where I felt they where a little high and not great in the wind

I think blades at times are easier to hit espically from 7-w

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

RoadRunner wrote: »
    :D LOL, would you not just try hit them a bit shyte in those cases

Then the Pro might 'accidentally' fix something I actually do properly. :D

My swing is a very delicate ecosystem of competing swing thoughts that occasionally work in harmony, but usually one battles it out to be the winner and ultimate destroyer of my round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

blue note wrote: »
    I wish it was course management but it's just not. If I have the right guy I think you're a corballis member as well. Some of the places I tend to go wrong, possibly even scratching a hole;

2. Approach into the green heavy and into the valley / over the green into the thick stuff behind. I'm very consistent about putting the tee shot where it should be. Green should be easy to hit from there, but I'm giving myself constant problems.

3. Sliced drive. This is an improvement on when I used to lay up with my tee shot. Ultimately that would leave a 3/4 shot into the green for my 3rd.same problems as on the second.

4. 3/4 shot off the tee can leave me in trouble

5. It's just a tricky green to get at. If you don't leave your ball on the right level it's a very tricky putt. If you don't hit the green it's a very tricky chip followed perhaps by a very tricky putt.

6. The wind kills me here - I hit the ball too high for the course. But with no wind it's a 3/4 wedge so that's a problem. With a wind it's a 3/4 8 iron or something, so that's a problem.

7. Same as he second hole. Tee shot is consistently where I want it. 3/4 wedge shot is a problem.

11. This is a problem now. I think the ground is too hard to go for the green so I lay up. But then I'm left with a 3/4 shot in and the ground is crap where it ends up.

12. I slice a few drives but it's probably my best hole.

13. So hard to club. Unfortunately sometimes requires a 3/4 wedge. But even when I hit it well I'm sometimes long or short. Then the green can kill me anyway.

14 & 15 the greens are very tough. Also, I keep over clubbing going on and going over the back. Possibly losing the ball / scratching the hole.

17 that green is a killer. You have no choice but to go for the pin and that's not easy,

18. Very difficult green to hit and if you don't very difficult to play.

It was balbriggan I played yesterday and to be honest the driver was the big problem and that frustration carried through to everything else. But playing in corballis my driving has really suffered and I stuck with it because I wanted the practice. And I paid €400 for it so I want to play with my toy. And I enjoy hitting big drives. In corballis my single biggest problem is the non full shots. I got a lesson on them in February and I just need to practice the technique. Because I think most people are thinking of giving themselves makeable birdie putts from 80m. But the truth is I'm more consistent from 160m. Fewer inside 10 feet, but more on the green/ fringe.

Also the wind. God that's killing me out there. Entirely because I hit the ball very high.

Sorry for the ranting, I'm very frustrated!!!

This is so funny to read (sorry). I used to be a member of Corballis a few years ago and I can empathise with you. There was a bad drought one of the years I was there too and to be honest the course was in dreadful condition - not a blade of grass on the fairways and full of divots, really hard to stop the ball on the green.
    I used to mostly play the 3rd as a par 5, only use driver on 15 and 16, play teeshots to where I wanted the 2nd shot from. I don't hit as far as you and have 4 wedges so I didn't really have the problem with 3/4 wedges. I also learned to use the putter a lot from well off the green.
    Hope this helps you somewhat. Stick with it. Good days lie ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Everyone has been here mate. Im sick of people telling me I should be off single figures with my swing! Im off 18..!

There’s a certain golfer who hears high teens handicap and will smell bandit. They’ll then slag you about it especially if you start well or can hit the ball a decent distance. Most of the time it’s good natured, sometimes it isn’t. Then you’ll start inevitably duffing shots to prove why the handicap was accurate, they’ll go quiet or worse start giving you tips.

You have to have a thick skin to play golf when you’re an improver. You have to block out that slagging about your handicap so you can build scores and get yourself cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

Played 13 last night. Drive on first OOB.
    Next hole, par 4 300m, drive rolled onto edge of green - 4 putted for bogey.
    Fun times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Raisins wrote: »
    There’s a certain golfer who hears high teens handicap and will smell bandit. They’ll then slag you about it especially if you start well or can hit the ball a decent distance. Most of the time it’s good natured, sometimes it isn’t. Then you’ll start inevitably duffing shots to prove why the handicap was accurate, they’ll go quiet or worse start giving you tips.

You have to have a thick skin to play golf when you’re an improver. You have to block out that slagging about your handicap so you can build scores and get yourself cut.

Thats is exactly it! I played Portmarnock links a few years ago it was actually a boards society outing think it was my second year.. Started par, birdie, then had a few pars and bogies and birdied the 7th or 8th (par5) So had 2 birdies and a couple of pars on the first 9 never done it before, on for a great round as was hitting it well (in the zone). And the lads joking said to me how you off 20 bandit..lol.. I then fell apart because it was in my head.. pure mental..

I joined a new club 2 years ago and my mate won something like 5 out of the 7 competitions the first couple of weeks probably even more! and had seconds & thirds think he won 3 in a row at one point. It was winter but they cut him from 18 to 13 on general play.. which didnt bother him.. but people were moaning that he was winning all the time.. still didn't bother him.. (he was off 18 in are previous club for years and never won anything)

So I try think of that now and get that killer instinct! Still haven't won in ages! ..lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Thats is exactly it! I played Portmarnock links a few years ago it was actually a boards society outing think it was my second year.. Started par, birdie, then had a few pars and bogies and birdied the 7th or 8th (par5) So had 2 birdies and a couple of pars on the first 9 never done it before, on for a great round as was hitting it well (in the zone). And the lads joking said to me how you off 20 bandit..lol.. I then fell apart because it was in my head.. pure mental..

I joined a new club 2 years ago and my mate won something like 5 out of the 7 competitions the first couple of weeks probably even more! and had seconds & thirds think he won 3 in a row at one point. It was winter but they cut him from 18 to 13 on general play.. which didnt bother him.. but people were moaning that he was winning all the time.. still didn't bother him.. (he was off 18 in are previous club for years and never won anything)

So I try think of that now and get that killer instinct! Still haven't won in ages! ..lol..

You're the ideal 4 ball open partner LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

The mental side of it is literally crazy. I was playing a sunday morning comp at my course at the start of the year. I was on fire, 18 points on the first 7 holes. All that time I had this annoying as hell ear worm going over and over in my brain - the bloody dawson creek theme tune of all things. All that was in my brain was 'I don't wanna wait..' over and over again and through all this I was hitting fairways and greens like it was nothing. Then 8th tee, snap hook out of bounds left and in an instant the ear worm was gone and my game fell completely apart

wow, it feels good to get that off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

36 points
    16/20
    6 pars
    1 birdie
    1 scratch

Arrived a bit late so no warm up and started double double.

Made a mess of index 1 9th for a scratch

Cant wait for comps to come back to see if i can do it with a card and get handicap down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

37 (16+21) off 16 this evening in a fairly strong wind.
    Putting really well. Ball striking is generally good.

I have a sore right shoulder and I don't know if it's hindering or helping me mostly. Certainly stopping me from over swinging.

34 points of 13

Played decent in some really really tough conditions. Sure was blowy in corballis today. Had a 245 yard 5 iron on 18. Ultimately difference between today and previous outing of 39 points was putting. Greens and fairways in regulation same both days. Putter was cold.cold.cold

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

Delighted finally to play a round of golf, first one back.
    37 points off 16, no scratches, first time in donkeys that has happened.
    Chipping needs a bit more consistency. Need to work my correct distance with my 52 degree.
    Driver and irons we're striking good too.
    Just want to get out again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

1st qualifying comp of the year.

+1 through 7 after some very good driving.
    Doubled 8 (water)
    3 putted 9 for bogey
    Duck hook OB on 10, double.
    Played 11-18 in +2 with 2 x 3putts.

+8
    34 points off 6.

Very disaappointing after probably my best ever GIR (13/18).

Checked garmin after the round, 7 drives over 270. 1 three wood 260.

3 poor duck hooks. Getting lazy and flipping hands/not completing swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

where had qualifying??

gypsy79 wrote: »
    where had qualifying??

6 counties

29 points today. Round got away from me earlier on with some untidy play around the greens.

37km walked in n 3 days on the course. Wrecked

41 points (hides) - including 3 scratches.

Scratches were really annoying because it was completely out of kilter with everything else in my game. Each of them came from really really sloppy shots with my usually very reliable 5wood. Three holes, Rough, Rough, Shank all from the same club.

Apart from that played really solid golf. 13 greens in regulation, no birdies. Irons were very very good. Distance putting was very good, from 8-15 feet didn't look like anything went close to dropping. All in all cannot be unhappy with my game, feel like I am getting better each time I go out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

willabur wrote: »
    41 points (hides) - including 3 scratches.

Scratches were really annoying because it was completely out of kilter with everything else in my game. Each of them came from really really sloppy shots with my usually very reliable 5wood. Three holes, Rough, Rough, Shank all from the same club.

Apart from that played really solid golf. 13 greens in regulation, no birdies. Irons were very very good. Distance putting was very good, from 8-15 feet didn't look like anything went close to dropping. All in all cannot be unhappy with my game, feel like I am getting better each time I go out there

41 with 3 scratches ................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

34 points off 13.
    Going through a nightmare time over the last 3 weeks.
    Last minute spot opened for me do I took it. After my first 3 shots I was starting to wish I hadn't gotten out of bed. Turned it around a bit but too many silly errors caused me to to only have 16 back. Still an improvement on previous so not completely despairing.

Macker1 wrote: »
    41 with 3 scratches ................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

yeah I know, really looking forward to competitions so I can knock a few strokes off the handicap. It is way too high vs my good days

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

willabur wrote: »
    yeah I know, really looking forward to competitions so I can knock a few strokes off the handicap. It is way too high vs my good days
    What do you play off Will? Super round

had 14 pars (13 GIR which makes a massive difference)
    1 bogey
    2 doubles
    1 triple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Shot 1 over par. My best round by a long way. Have been playing well of late. Swing change, gym work and new clubs (driving in great with new driver) have all combined to really push me on. Course playing easy and bunkers being out of play (worst part of my game) had me hovering around 80 on a par 72 the last few rounds.

Then everything clicked on Friday evening. Little of no wind. Three bogeys, two birds and the rest pars. Bitter sweet in that I would have loved to shoot level par but doubt I will ever get a chance like that again. Decent looks for bird on 16 and 17. Missed a 4 footer on 2. Two fairway bunker drops really helped the score though.

Hoping for a big cut when comps come back. If I can get to single figures I will probably retire. Curse of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Wombatman wrote: »
    Bitter sweet in that I would have loved to shoot level par but doubt I will ever get a chance like that again.

I laughed out loud when I read that. This is exactly what it's like to be a golfer. You shoot the round of your life but still come in thinking about what could have been. I've done the same when the first time I shot 80 - I thought god I had some real chances to get a round in the 70s. The most birds I've ever had in a round is three - and every time I came in counting how many it could have been. It's actually what gets us back out there. However well we do we always know that it could have been a few shots better.

And well done, that's some super round. I'll keep playing hoping to shoot it, however impossible it might be for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

32 again off 13. 13 points on front 19 back.
    Terrible start with lost drive on the 1st. Then bogey scratch scratch. So 2 points after 4. Red mist descending. Then steadied the ship. Scratched the 12th but found a way to scramble 19 on the back 9.
    Can't seem to get any kinda of a start lately.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Shot 1 over par....
    ...If I can get to single figures

You can't have had less then 45 pts for that round. Possibly 46-50 pts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

36 points off 11.
    18/18,

Was having a fairly average round of golf, was tracking for 16pts on the front nine. Par 4 9th is about 300 yards. had a very good drive of 260ish yards. Well over my average distance. Hit a lovely pitch which looked like it would be close, cant see the bottom of the flag from the fairway. When I got up there it was in so ended up with 18pts.

Back nine was fairly boring, 2 one pointers and 2 3 pointers. So many missed putts. Greens very slow and I couldn't get the speed of them.

Im a bit afraid, I haven't shot a round over handicap since golf returned so a terrible round is just around the corner. :O

Advertisement