Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Completely out of the blue, I managed to score 40 points twice this week. The club have agreed to review my cards for a cut. Is this happening anywhere else? I spoke with mates that play in other clubs and they won't have their cards considered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There are tonnes itching to get cut. There is no way a handicap secretary wants that hassle

Also slightly different doing it with a card in hand

What you playing off

If my daughter is born before I get a cut of two then I will be disgusted. She is due July 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played 3 times last week. 2 x 9 holes and one 18 hole

Playing off 11

the two 9 holes were 18 points each.

18 holes was 40 points, but should have been 42, had some silly mistakes.
    played well overall, a few stray tee shots put me into trouble and led to three 1 pointers, managed to keep the scratches off the card.

My first few rounds back has given me hope for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

This thread makes me laugh. Very few scores less than 2 points a hole. In my last 16 competitions I've shot over 36 points twice and my handicap has come down in that time. Your handicaps are too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blue note wrote: »
    This thread makes me laugh. Very few scores less than 2 points a hole. In my last 16 competitions I've shot over 36 points twice and my handicap has come down in that time. Your handicaps are too high!

It's almost as if people will be more likely to want to post about a good score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

+11 yesterday for 31 points.

1 Birdie
    8 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

Dissappointed after being level par through 5. 2 missed birdie putts inside 8 feet and a duffed pitch in those 5 holes too.

Few 3 putts on back 9 plus another duffed chip.

I was hitting to ball well enough to at least break handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

played saturday,

front 9 not good
    bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, par, par, bogey, bogey, bogey

back 9 way better
    par, par, par, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey, bogey.
    missed 4 birdie putts on the back 9

driver can best be summed up by Rickie :o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FpUNx9w-s

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

woodyg wrote: »
    played saturday,

front 9 not good
    bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, par, par, bogey, bogey, bogey

back 9 way better
    par, par, par, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey, bogey.
    missed 4 birdie putts on the back 9

driver can best be summed up by Rickie :o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FpUNx9w-s

That totals 46 pts if I've the right person playing off 21...Handicap committee have taken note !! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    LOL

yellow tees helps alot in summer especially with the heavy rough all cut....group i was with wanted to play forward an i was hardly going to say no :P
    looking back now the 3rd was a double as i went into the tree's right as per usual
    greens were in good nick

trust me 4 pars in a row on that back 9 is rare as hen's teeth for me. i'm usually swimming on that par 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭finglashoop

17/17
    1 scratch

Have to get my putting in order to get handicap down

On the scores i find the good weather helps a lot

• Advertisement

17/17
    1 scratch

Have to get my putting in order to get handicap down

On the scores i find the good weather helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

39 points today (off 12), 81 strokes so easily my best ever round of this damned sport. Started off terribly, was +5 after 3 holes, but then only +6 after 9. Made a lovely eagle on 11, hitting hybrid to within 10 feet, and probably would've been better score if didnt shank tee shot on 15 into water on 12. Tee shot on 17 barely made it past ladies tee but snuck a par. Went for glory on 18 trying to break 80 but made a mess of it, will have to do

woodyg wrote: »
    yellow tees helps alot in summer especially with the heavy rough all cut....group i was with wanted to play forward an i was hardly going to say no :P
    looking back now the 3rd was a double as i went into the tree's right as per usual
    greens were in good nick

trust me 4 pars in a row on that back 9 is rare as hen's teeth for me. i'm usually swimming on that par 5

Dont be worrying I'm only taking the you know what...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

After a lot of average golf came in with +2 over the weekend. Finally starting to find a bit of form with the putter. Now, can I back it up is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

38 points - not bad, going in the right direction. Also just two doubles is encouraging. HC13.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

37pts off 16.

Great front 9 23 pts :D
    Bad back 9 14 pts :eek:

Just a few mistakes (brain farts) that lead to 3 triples.

Signs of hope for some cuts, whenever we get to be competitive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    seriously the flags in are doing my head in as I'm trying to putt into side of hole

I think you're panicking unnecessary Golfhead. Have a read of these guys article: https://mygolfspy.com/flagstick-in-flagstick-out-2019-new-golf-rules/

They're very thorough and they found that it benefits people overall.

stats_low.jpg

stats_high.jpg

I think that shallow cups is likely worse than the pins in

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

Bought a 15 year old set of Mizuno Mp-32's last week and went out an broke 80 for the first time ever yesterday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Worst round of the year for me today, and i did something i thought i was well past, when i hit my bag with a club in anger at a 2nd duffed chip into the water. No excuse or place for that ****e, and i was punished for it when i took out my driver on the next hole only to see it was snapped in half. So serves me right for being a complete idiot.

Frustrating as hell, but onto the next round (once i get my driver fixed :/).

31pts..18/13..Scored 1 point on last 3 holes and I have shots on 17 and 18, I think I just have ran out of steam

• Advertisement

I think you're panicking unnecessary Golfhead. Have a read of these guys article: https://mygolfspy.com/flagstick-in-flagstick-out-2019-new-golf-rules/

They're very thorough and they found that it benefits people overall.

stats_low.jpg

stats_high.jpg

I think that shallow cups is likely worse than the pins in

Nah it's totally mental for me, I hit my short putts and with these putt buddies in, unless it just rolls in the balls just bounce back off them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Finally back

39 pts of 13
    1 bird
    8 pars
    8 bogies
    1 double

Hit the ball really well. Double came when I topped a drive into the long stuff. Ball striking was very good overall, need to tune in my clubs again. Really feel that I have added a bit of speed in my swing. Back out again Friday let's see if I can sustain it.

26 points I think. I'm getting frustrated with my scoring now to be honest. Started back in September after a four year break, had a few good rounds in Jan and then collapsed before the lockdown. I'm absolutely nailing a lot of my shots. But I'm dropping shots everywhere - sliced drives, duffed chip, a shank, I hit loads long, three putts. I probably need to adjust to summer carrys in fairness. I lost 3 balls from carrying the ball all the way over greens into trouble. Rolled over the back on a few more.

Since this is anonymous I'll be honest - I strike it way too well to be playing off 14, let alone scoring 26 points off 14. If I saw someone hitting it like I do playing off 6 or 7 I'd think he should be getting close to scratch if he could get a bit more consistent. Somehow I manage to mix wasting beautiful strikes by taking generally too much club or aiming poorly with occasional shots you'd be disappointed with if you were only playing three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

35 points off 18 on a very windy Arklow course. My putting let me down which is usually my strong point. Was more concerned about the wind than my putt. Missed some sitters.

27 points
    11/16
    3 scratches all on the front 9
    3 pars

26 points I think. I'm getting frustrated with my scoring now to be honest. Started back in September after a four year break, had a few good rounds in Jan and then collapsed before the lockdown. I'm absolutely nailing a lot of my shots. But I'm dropping shots everywhere - sliced drives, duffed chip, a shank, I hit loads long, three putts. I probably need to adjust to summer carrys in fairness. I lost 3 balls from carrying the ball all the way over greens into trouble. Rolled over the back on a few more.

Since this is anonymous I'll be honest - I strike it way too well to be playing off 14, let alone scoring 26 points off 14. If I saw someone hitting it like I do playing off 6 or 7 I'd think he should be getting close to scratch if he could get a bit more consistent. Somehow I manage to mix wasting beautiful strikes by taking generally too much club or aiming poorly with occasional shots you'd be disappointed with if you were only playing three months.

Sounds like course management is an issue. Knowing where to miss is a key strength of low handicappers. It takes scratches off the card and reduces doubles massively.

willabur wrote: »
    Sounds like course management is an issue. Knowing where to miss is a key strength of low handicappers. It takes scratches off the card and reduces doubles massively.

I wish it was course management but it's just not. If I have the right guy I think you're a corballis member as well. Some of the places I tend to go wrong, possibly even scratching a hole;

2. Approach into the green heavy and into the valley / over the green into the thick stuff behind. I'm very consistent about putting the tee shot where it should be. Green should be easy to hit from there, but I'm giving myself constant problems.

3. Sliced drive. This is an improvement on when I used to lay up with my tee shot. Ultimately that would leave a 3/4 shot into the green for my 3rd.same problems as on the second.

4. 3/4 shot off the tee can leave me in trouble

5. It's just a tricky green to get at. If you don't leave your ball on the right level it's a very tricky putt. If you don't hit the green it's a very tricky chip followed perhaps by a very tricky putt.

6. The wind kills me here - I hit the ball too high for the course. But with no wind it's a 3/4 wedge so that's a problem. With a wind it's a 3/4 8 iron or something, so that's a problem.

7. Same as he second hole. Tee shot is consistently where I want it. 3/4 wedge shot is a problem.

11. This is a problem now. I think the ground is too hard to go for the green so I lay up. But then I'm left with a 3/4 shot in and the ground is crap where it ends up.

12. I slice a few drives but it's probably my best hole.

13. So hard to club. Unfortunately sometimes requires a 3/4 wedge. But even when I hit it well I'm sometimes long or short. Then the green can kill me anyway.

14 & 15 the greens are very tough. Also, I keep over clubbing going on and going over the back. Possibly losing the ball / scratching the hole.

17 that green is a killer. You have no choice but to go for the pin and that's not easy,

18. Very difficult green to hit and if you don't very difficult to play.

It was balbriggan I played yesterday and to be honest the driver was the big problem and that frustration carried through to everything else. But playing in corballis my driving has really suffered and I stuck with it because I wanted the practice. And I paid €400 for it so I want to play with my toy. And I enjoy hitting big drives. In corballis my single biggest problem is the non full shots. I got a lesson on them in February and I just need to practice the technique. Because I think most people are thinking of giving themselves makeable birdie putts from 80m. But the truth is I'm more consistent from 160m. Fewer inside 10 feet, but more on the green/ fringe.

Also the wind. God that's killing me out there. Entirely because I hit the ball very high.

Sorry for the ranting, I'm very frustrated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Everyone has been here mate. Im sick of people telling me I should be off single figures with my swing! Im off 18.. My game is mainly mental and I try to hard.. I suggest getting a lesson thats what I do when it gets frustrating. I actually decided to get 1 a month this year and was flying it till lock down! Feel like I have gone 10 steps backwards now.. but Im seen my Pro in a week and sent him a video of my swing so have something to work on in the mean time. but my errors are always small... which I think is more frustrating. That I cant figure them out!

no problem at all on the rant, Golf is one of the most frustrating pastimes out there but it sure does feel good when you do hit that perfect shot.

From looking at your post on the 'how far do you hit your club' thread, your distances look similar to mine but it looks like you have a gap at 100 yards for a full swing. I find I use my Gap wedge which is 100-110 full swing alot in Corballis. Holes 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 18 if I am where I want to be for a second shot. 3/4 shots can be so easy to screw up because you need to turn your body that much slower also

that and the wind, its a tough place to play because it can be insanely windy. Second hole especially is so exposed.

Also it is not a place to play bump and run because a lot of the shots demand a carry so hitting the ball high is necessary if you want to stop and not run out into the penal rough.

Its a mad spot to be fair :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Bought a 15 year old set of Mizuno Mp-32's last week and went out an broke 80 for the first time ever yesterday

Have you owned/played with blades before? I have hit my mates Wilson staff model blades and Im actually in love with them.. So easy to hit and ball sinks into face, great feel too. I was always told blades are for better players but I am hitting them much better than mine.. Thinking of getting a set :D

Advertisement