Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

Thank fùck Come on Eileen didn't make an appearance- I despise that song with every fibre of my being.

Brothers in Arms is the Dire Straits song I'd have chosen, ahead of the other ones that were nominated here.
    Unfortunately, there is one song I particular dislike on that final list. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. It is a typical Jim Steinman production (he wrote most of Meatloaf's songs). It is over the top, melodramatic and painful. It works for the song Bat Out of Hell but not for this one. I have no strong feelings about Bonnie Tyler, other than I did not like any of her other hit singles either!

I do like it but it wasn't one of my nominations, so you're allowed to vote against it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Thank fùck Come on Eileen didn't make an appearance- I despise that song with every fibre of my being.

Brothers in Arms is the Dire Straits song I'd have chosen, ahead of the other ones that were nominated here.

I do like it but it wasn't one of my nominations, so you're allowed to vote against it! :p

I agree with you about Come on Eileen. In fact, practically every other single release by Dexys Midnight Runners was better! Obviously, some would disagree, given its presence in those charts! Brothers in Arms is definitely better than quite a few songs in the final selection. Dire Straits had a load of songs in the charts in the 1980s but they missed the cut here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Dire Straits had a load of songs in the charts in the 1980s but they missed the cut here.

It looks like acts that had only a couple of really big hits had a better chance of making the cut than acts that were huge (U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Queen etc).
    E.g. Belinda Carlisle had a few other hits, but Heaven is a place... is by far her best known song. I suppose that acts that had lots of big hits had their vote split.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It looks like acts that had only a couple of really big hits had a better chance of making the cut than acts that were huge (U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Queen etc).
    E.g. Belinda Carlisle had a few other hits, but Heaven is a place... is by far her best known song. I suppose that acts that had lots of big hits had their vote split.

That is a good point. Some acts may well have suffered from that. However, there are some others that did not make it on their own! What about MCSquared by the Big Audio Dynamite? That was their only Top 40 hit (a one hit wonder in my book, by the way!).

Edit: What's the connection between that song and The Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go? The frontman, guitarist and main vocalist of BAD was Mick Jones, the same Mick Jones, who played lead guitar in The Clash and just happens to be the lead vocalist on Should I Stay etc. !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What about MCSquared by the Big Audio Dynamite?

Great song. Never thought of it for my list, but tbh I was struggling enough as it was to get down to 10 and it probably wouldn't have made the cut.

• Advertisement

E=mc2 is a brilliant song. For those who’ve never heard it....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I only like 3 out of the last 8 songs. And it has been trending like that the whole way through the competition since about the last 64. I've liked less than half of the entries.

What I remembered and loved about 80s music seems to be very different from what the majority of you remembered and loved about it.

Rikand wrote: »
    I only like 3 out of the last 8 songs. And it has been trending like that the whole way through the competition since about the last 64. I've liked less than half of the entries.

What I remembered and loved about 80s music seems to be very different from what the majority of you remembered and loved about it.

Yeah, I feel very much in the minority with a lot of the choices. I'm guessing it's down to demographics, with maybe a split between those who were kids in the 80s and those of us who were teens/early 20s (or older).

Zaph wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel very much in the minority with a lot of the choices. I'm guessing it's down to demographics, with maybe a split between those who were kids in the 80s and those of us who were teens/early 20s (or older).

I dunno, I think you had many of the same choices as me throughout, I was 5 in 1980.
    But, tbf, I have excellent taste in music :)

There really only one in the last few songs I believe deserves to be best 80s song!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote: »

Admittedly I was only born in 1986 so you probably have a point.

But the 80s is still probably my favourite era for music... just different songs to you I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

bubblypop wrote: »
    I dunno, I think you had many of the same choices as me throughout, I was 5 in 1980.

There really only one in the last few songs I believe deserves to be best 80s song!

There may be some truth in it. I was born in 1980 and I like a lot of the final songs but then again, I've been told I have bad taste in music on a number of occasions! But that's what makes music from the 80s and 90s so interesting and diverse compared to the efforts of the last 10-15 years.

bubblypop wrote: »

Yeah, I've noticed yourself and a couple of others that definitely appear to have the same taste as me. I was 13 in 1980, so I remember the tail end of punk and the start of new wave, which is probably why I like bands such as The Clash, Talking Heads and Blondie more than the later synth-pop stuff. And I agree that there's only one song left that deserves to win. :D
    Necro wrote: »
    Admittedly I was only born in 1986 so you probably have a point.

But the 80s is still probably my favourite era for music... just different songs to you I think :D

Yeah, you definitely have a different take on 80s music to me, but I'd agree with you that it's probably my favourite decade for music too. That said, even if they haven't been to my taste, there haven't been too many of what I'd consider absolute stinkers in the whole competition. Except A-ha, obviously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My final song is gone.

Only like maybe 3 of the songs in the QF. Really disappointed not to see some great rock tunes in the mix.

As a 90's baby, I must say that I think the 80's is the best decade musically. Pretty much all of the rock bands were at the top of their heyday.

Music getting dismally worse with each passing decade and the decline in the quality of music is only becoming more rapid with each year imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

70s > 80s. There, I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I agree with you about Come on Eileen. In fact, practically every other single release by Dexys Midnight Runners was better! Obviously, some would disagree, given its presence in those charts! Brothers in Arms is definitely better than quite a few songs in the final selection. Dire Straits had a load of songs in the charts in the 1980s but they missed the cut here.

Geno was dexys best song. I love it

salmocab wrote: »
    Geno was dexys best song. I love it

Absolutely. It seems to have been largely forgotten about these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

We shall kick off the qf shortly.

Please give a reason for your vote
    First to 10 or winning song after 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

QF/Match 1

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart

vs       

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

QF/Match 2

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

vs       

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

QF/Match 1 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Great song, and iconic

QF/Match 2 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Not my favourite Springsteen song, but better than the competition.

Match 1 - Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. My last nomination, so sticking with this.

Match 2 - Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark. I really, really, really dislike that Kim Carnes song.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bonnie Tyler - my pick and probably my second favourite song of the 80s

Brucie - rock god, one of his best, deserves the semi finals over the other song imo anyways

Joy division, love will tear us apart, it's the only song that deserves to win, imo

Bruce Springsteen, dancing in the dark, I like the other one, but this is more of an 80s classic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love Will Tear Us Apart - tough enough call between these two, but think Joy Division simply have the better song.

Bette Davis Eyes - this is a song I listen to most days, its on the majority of my spotify playlists, hope it can pull through to the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Joy Division - Have been a longtime fan of Joy Division, so there was only one winner in this pairing.

Bruce Springsteen - Not a big Bruce fan but have always liked this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

QF/Match 1
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart. Power Ballad with the emphasis on power!

QF/Match 2
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark. Whenever I hear the intro, it always immediately makes me feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Joy Division as this is my favorite song of theirs .
    Bruce Springsteen , can't beat The Boss :)

#1 - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Total Eclipse....is great for what it is; a theatrical, fist-pumping power ballad. But Love Will Tear Us Apart is an even stronger song by being so understated. It's deep, haunting, rather depressing but beautiful.

#2 - Bette Davis Eyes
    There's something really reassuring and comforting about this song, just those intro notes make me feel warm and gooey inside. Love Dancing in the Dark too, there's very little between them so this just comes down to a personal choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kolido wrote:
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart
    I do really like this song, and it's theatricality. I don't know if it counts but I enjoy the video too, it's a great one to sing along to too cos everyone knows it. I also just don't like the other one!
    Kolido wrote:
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    I love both of these and I think this is a tough match for Kim, but this is on my main playlist. It has a very chill vibe that I like. It has a big nostalgia factor too, all Bruce reminds me of is leaping around at weddings!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Joy Division
    Bruce

I still listen to both regularly :)
    I also nominated JD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Bonnie & Bruce

Former reminds me so much of the 80’s
    Remember dancing to Bruce song

Advertisement